Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
RebeccaTwigley
temp-banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: #freehoofball
Posts: 7,876
2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

There were 23 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Seadood
KKC
wesrwood
AFisher
RT
King of Diamonds
vinivici9586
Cinarocket
aejones
Moneyball16
heroball
Krayz
wrane
diskoteque
Magnummike
mcbeef
JMurder
DodgerIrish
Mclovin (co owner)
lfc_usa
loldolphins
Neemahb
charder30

Timestamp: 2017-07-26 17:08:52 UTC

lettuce draft
abbb
24hour clock first round, 12h 2nd/3rd/4th, 6h 5th+
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/
think we go cap figure correct me if im wrong on this
80m, min sal is $1,471,382.

seadood is on the clock

ss: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by RebeccaTwigley; 07-26-2017 at 01:38 PM.
RebeccaTwigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: People's champ
Posts: 24,045
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

That was fast. I want to get a write up in but I'll pm the next guy my pick.
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:23 PM   #3
diskoteque
Joey Local
 
diskoteque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 29,409
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

Thanks for taking the lead
diskoteque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,077
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

Can we list the official salary cap numbers in the OP(and if its a link to a website then clarify the exact number we are using, as "cap hold", "base salary", "total salary", etc. can all be different).

edit: Also prob wanna clarify on our cap and what the min salary is(so that you have to leave that amount per draft pick left).

Last edited by Assani Fisher; 07-26-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
RebeccaTwigley
temp-banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: #freehoofball
Posts: 7,876
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

edited
RebeccaTwigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: People's champ
Posts: 24,045
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

I'll pick to keep things going while the details are being ironed out.. won't matter because I'll choose the same either way.

Taking the only top 10ish player on what amounts to be a minimum deal:
Spoiler:


Here are his NBA rankings last year:

RPM - 6th
Box +- - 5th
PER - 8th
WS48 - 9th
VORP - 9th
Net Rating - 3rd

Per 36 numbers:

21.6pts/12.7rb/6.3ast/1.1st/1blk/3tov

He played on a .500 team that outscored opponents by 5.8pts/100 possessions when he was on the court. He has similar qualities to the GOAT in that players just play so much better when he's out there.

There are question marks about whether or not it was a fluke season, but we had those same question marks when he put up one of the best seasons of all time as a rookie. There are legit questions about his ceiling as I don't think he ever becomes more than a fringe top 5 guy, but I also think Nikola's floor is pretty high, about where he's at now.

Most importantly, his salary is just $1,471,382, making him the lowest paid player on his own team.

Team so far:

C - Jokic - 1,471,382

Total Salaries - 1,471,382
Cap Left - 78,528,618
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,077
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread




draft delivers


(also it is not slipping by me that Seadood was the one who suggested the smaller cap, which increases Jokic's value more than anyone else in our draft)
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #8
vinivici9586
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
vinivici9586's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,194
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post



draft delivers


(also it is not slipping by me that Seadood was the one who suggested the smaller cap, which increases Jokic's value more than anyone else in our draft)
LOL. Great point
vinivici9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
vinivici9586
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
vinivici9586's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,194
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

What happens if someone spends more money than they have left to allow a min spot per player. I assume we just skip them and assume replacement player for the slots they cant fill?
vinivici9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #10
RebeccaTwigley
temp-banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: #freehoofball
Posts: 7,876
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

guess they just lose the draft


to be fair re seadood, he didnt know he was going to be 1 pick lel.
RebeccaTwigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #11
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: People's champ
Posts: 24,045
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

@Assani what are the odds I'd pick #1 or #2? I suggested a smaller cap because there are less teams and imo the cap would be less fun if we had 20 teams with the same cap as a 30 team league.
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #12
LFC_USA
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LFC_USA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,580
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

Wait a minute, if this is for a single season, how is the #1 pick not one of two undrafted's? Regardless of salary? I'm only asking because I may be missing the point of this
LFC_USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:13 PM   #13
loldolphins
grinder
 
loldolphins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: south florida
Posts: 464
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

was pretty sure jokic was going top 5 considering his salary

not sure i would have taken him at 1 but i def understand the reasoning
loldolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #14
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,077
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadood228 View Post
@Assani what are the odds I'd pick #1 or #2? I suggested a smaller cap because there are less teams and imo the cap would be less fun if we had 20 teams with the same cap as a 30 team league.
I think you are a nuanced human being and there can be a multitude of reasons/factors for your actions. I have no problem believing you thought your suggestion was best for the good of our draft. But theres no way I believe that you didn't realize what your suggestion did to Jokic's value until you were on the clock.

Also I have severe doubts that he would've gone top 2 had you not picked there(not saying I disagree with it, I remain very unsure of how we should value cap space vs talent). Had you not picked in the top 2 and PMed me to bet on it at even money, I would've bet as much as you wanted on Jokic not going top 2.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #15
RebeccaTwigley
temp-banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: #freehoofball
Posts: 7,876
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_USA View Post
Wait a minute, if this is for a single season, how is the #1 pick not one of two undrafted's? Regardless of salary? I'm only asking because I may be missing the point of this
coz you are getting a top 15 guy in the league for free
RebeccaTwigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:17 PM   #16
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: People's champ
Posts: 24,045
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

Yeah I have no freaking clue who should have went #1. I had four guys up top with good arguments for all of them imo.

I'm also a raging homer with a hard-on for The Joker.
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #17
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,077
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

yea I very much could be convinced that Jokic is the best pick, will have to see how this thing plays out imo
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:21 PM   #18
LFC_USA
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LFC_USA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,580
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaTwigley View Post
coz you are getting a top 15 guy in the league for free
Yea but there is a player who many think is literally the greatest player of all time. Even if he's like 80% of the cap how is he not the consensus #1 for 1 season?
LFC_USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:23 PM   #19
RebeccaTwigley
temp-banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: #freehoofball
Posts: 7,876
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_USA View Post
Yea but there is a player who many think is literally the greatest player of all time. Even if he's like 80% of the cap how is he not the consensus #1 for 1 season?
because warriors proved if you have 4 underpaid top 10/15/20 players, they will win vs anyone
RebeccaTwigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:23 PM   #20
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: People's champ
Posts: 24,045
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

Assani I suggested lowering the cap a week ago, then yesterday long before the rando I said 80M sounds good. I knew it would affect the value of cheap players both times, however I didn't know I would be the one picking said players.

tbh I did not want any of the first few picks because I was averse to someone claiming riggage.

I'm not sure why you are nitting this draft, it was done on the up and up, it's just not in my style to angle.
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #21
vinivici9586
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
vinivici9586's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,194
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

Imo, anything before 5 for Jokic is spew. 80m cap not gonna be that prohibitive
vinivici9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #22
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,077
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadood228 View Post
Assani I suggested lowering the cap a week ago, then yesterday long before the rando I said 80M sounds good. I knew it would affect the value of cheap players both times, however I didn't know I would be the one picking said players.

tbh I did not want any of the first few picks because I was averse to someone claiming riggage.

I'm not sure why you are nitting this draft, it was done on the up and up, it's just not in my style to angle.
sorry, my tone isn't coming through clearly in writing. I'm joking and giving you a hard time; I'm not saying you did anything to angle shoot.

My point is that you are ALWAYS thinking about the Nuggets/Jokic, and after you made the pick it dawned on me that you were the one who made the suggestion to lower the cap. Thats all, no big deal.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #23
LFC_USA
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LFC_USA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,580
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaTwigley View Post
because warriors proved if you have 4 underpaid top 10/15/20 players, they will win vs anyone
And you think you are getting 4 underpaid top 20 players in this draft? That's literally going to be impossible
LFC_USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:34 PM   #24
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,077
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadood228 View Post
I had four guys up top with good arguments for all of them imo.
Finally I run well at draft randomization
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #25
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: People's champ
Posts: 24,045
Re: 2017/2018 NBA salary cap draft thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinivici9586 View Post
Imo, anything before 5 for Jokic is spew. 80m cap not gonna be that prohibitive
This could VERY well be true. There will be roughly 100 "starters" taken, and perhaps there will be a bunch of teams going cheap at the beginning left holding their cap space... That's what makes this draft a little more interesting imo. Do you go with BPA or BPA as a function of salary early on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post
sorry, my tone isn't coming through clearly in writing. I'm joking and giving you a hard time; I'm not saying you did anything to angle shoot.

My point is that you are ALWAYS thinking about the Nuggets/Jokic, and after you made the pick it dawned on me that you were the one who made the suggestion to lower the cap. Thats all, no big deal.
Fair enough, no harm done. And I will once in a while not think about Jokic, although that usually occurs during slow-wave sleep cycles.
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online