Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > Other Topics > Politics

Notices

Politics political discourse

View Poll Results: Are you for or against government healthcare
I am for it 162 53.64%
I am against it 140 46.36%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #106
self-banned
 
Case Closed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: pooping my big boy pants
Posts: 19,112
Re: Are you for or against government healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseycjc View Post
Or you could buy health insurance. I mean it's not a perfect system but neither is any other.
The problem is that even if you have health insurance you still don't know if you will be covered or not. It's still a pretty big risk that you don't see in any country with universal healthcare. Have you ever bought health insurance?
Case Closed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #107
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
YouR_DooM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: facepalming my way into history
Posts: 6,845
Re: Are you for or against government healthcare

I'v had some health problems here in italy, and I was more than happy.

Here you pay 34€ for ever exam your private doctor ( who is free ) assigns you, and 0 if you get checked up by the ER ( there are two lines tho, "real" ER patients, and patients that have stuff the basic doctor should have checked; the second line has to wait until all ER patients are done or there is a hole ).

I went to the ER with breathng problems, got on a stretcher after 5 minutes after a basic check up, got an x-ray after another 10 minutes and got operated within the next hour. I then had to stay 8 days recovered in bed. After all that, they shook my hand and I was out of there without paying a cent.

waiting times can get meh in big cities if you are not ER material, as in a day or two for an x-ray and a week for bigger tests, but I always found it doable. If you want it right now, paying and doing it privately is always an option.

Last edited by YouR_DooM; 01-15-2012 at 02:37 PM.
YouR_DooM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #108
veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,428
Re: Are you for or against government healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case Closed View Post
How do you expect people to do that? Healthcare expenses for the most part are not predictable and not avoidable. How are you supposed to prepare for someone having brain cancer or your child getting leukemia or something of that nature? Are you asking people to save up a few extra hundred thousand for whatever happens? The free market system that we have is the worst possible system on the planet.
If you look back to my original post in this thread, I was responding to someone who said that people were getting bankrupted by bills less than 10K.

But, as casey said, for this stuff, you buy insurance. And for a rational person that should be among the highest priorities. Unfortunately, most people don't see it this way.
Melkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #109
self-banned
 
Case Closed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: pooping my big boy pants
Posts: 19,112
Re: Are you for or against government healthcare

So, have you bought health insurance, and did you have dependents involved?
Case Closed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #110
veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,428
Re: Are you for or against government healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case Closed View Post
The problem is that even if you have health insurance you still don't know if you will be covered or not. It's still a pretty big risk that you don't see in any country with universal healthcare. Have you ever bought health insurance?
This is false. There is no system in the world that will cover everyone for everything. Do you really think that everyone in Mexico (an example used in this thread) has access to every treatment and coverage for every illness that anyone in the United States has?

In many countries w/ universal health care, there are many expensive treatments that the system just doesn't cover. But since almost no one has access to them it's less noticeable.

Here, at least some people (i.e., those with means) have access to such treatments. So that's a good thing. But it is balanced, and according to most, outweighed by those who can't even get access to the inferior treatments.
Melkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #111
veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,428
Re: Are you for or against government healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case Closed View Post
So, have you bought health insurance, and did you have dependents involved?
Yes, but my situation is atypical as I can easily afford it. I realize I am lucky and there are many less fortunate than I.
Melkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #112
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jogsxyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 6,364
Re: Are you for or against government healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
Why don't you ask seniors? They've been around a long time and seen a few things, and will fight to the death to keep their Medicare.
Medicare is $99.50 a month. The rest of you taxpayers are subsidizing it. If Medicare were required to pay its own way, no one would want it.
jogsxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #113
self-banned
 
Case Closed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: pooping my big boy pants
Posts: 19,112
Re: Are you for or against government healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkerson View Post
This is false. There is no system in the world that will cover everyone for everything. Do you really think that everyone in Mexico (an example used in this thread) has access to every treatment and coverage for every illness that anyone in the United States has?

In many countries w/ universal health care, there are many expensive treatments that the system just doesn't cover. But since almost no one has access to them it's less noticeable.

Here, at least some people (i.e., those with means) have access to such treatments. So that's a good thing. But it is balanced, and according to most, outweighed by those who can't even get access to the inferior treatments.
Ok, http://articles.cnn.com/2009-06-05/h...e?_s=PM:HEALTH

It's quite obvious that financial strain in this country is huge when 60% of all bankruptcies in this country come from medical bills. Now I can't find any information about people in countries with universal health care having trouble paying medical bills and coming into financial duress because of it. Can you find some? Also, have you bought health insurance in America?
Case Closed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #114
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jogsxyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 6,364
Re: Are you for or against government healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case Closed View Post
How do you expect people to do that? Healthcare expenses for the most part are not predictable and not avoidable. How are you supposed to prepare for someone having brain cancer or your child getting leukemia or something of that nature? Are you asking people to save up a few extra hundred thousand for whatever happens? The free market system that we have is the worst possible system on the planet.
The expenses are hardly random. Many Americans just aren't properly taking care of themselves. 2/3 of adults are overweight. Many refuse to exercise. While some ailments are unavoidable, many are the fault of that person.
jogsxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #115
temp-banned
 
[Phill]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 45,159
Re: Are you for or against government healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkerson View Post
This is false. There is no system in the world that will cover everyone for everything. Do you really think that everyone in Mexico (an example used in this thread) has access to every treatment and coverage for every illness that anyone in the United States has?

In many countries w/ universal health care, there are many expensive treatments that the system just doesn't cover. But since almost no one has access to them it's less noticeable.

Here, at least some people (i.e., those with means) have access to such treatments. So that's a good thing. But it is balanced, and according to most, outweighed by those who can't even get access to the inferior treatments.
You dont get to use the Mexico comparison. Mexico is an awesome example for how America spends 9 times as much to live less than 2 years longer on average, but its a completely invalid example when you talk about "no system in the world".

And as for the last paragraph rich people usually get to buy these expensive super rare treatments if they want even in UHC countries. The market means they often cross borders to do so because its so super rare like 5 doctors in the world are qualified and that does mean going to America right now most of the time however if America had a functioning healthcare system this wouldnt change. I dont know if any country with UHC has any kind of bans on paying for these treatments, they just dont cover them under the UHC.
[Phill] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #116
E66
centurion
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 122
Re: Are you for or against government healthcare

I am against it.

Gentlemen let's look at the entire picture not just healthcare for everyone.
I live in Iceland where we have a national health system, and in the name of reducing costs for the national health system various politicians currently have a bill in the senate to ban the sale of tobacco everywhere except pharmacies and within 10 years make tobacco illegal unless you have a prescription.

We have a sugar tax because fat people are a burden on the health system, various left wing politicans talk of putting monster taxes on fast food and other unhealthy food or just ban them all together.
The government has a monopoly on alcohol and its taxed to hell example: a beer at a average club/bar is 6,50$ and the cheapest vodka bottle at the government store is 55$

Under this system there is no responsibility, a man can eat fast food three times a day, smoke 2 packs a day or snort gasoline and the productive tax payer always has to pay the bill.
Our best doctors and other talented people are leaving the country because the high tax system punishes success and rewards the lazy people.


These are just small examples of what restrictions a government run health care system are on freedom.
E66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #117
veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,428
Re: Are you for or against government healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case Closed View Post
Ok, http://articles.cnn.com/2009-06-05/h...e?_s=PM:HEALTH

It's quite obvious that financial strain in this country is huge when 60% of all bankruptcies in this country come from medical bills. Now I can't find any information about people in countries with universal health care havilng trouble paying medical bills and coming into financial duress because of it. Can you find some? Also, have you bought health insurance in America?
Once again, if you look back to my first post in this thread, I never claimed that this isn't a problem or that some people wouldn't be bankrupt even if they saved as much as possible for health care expenses.

My point, once again, is that if there are a large number of people being bankrupted by medical bills under 10K (which was what was alleged in the post I first responded to and is compatible with the link you provided), then I'm sure that at least SOME of those people could have avoided it if they treated saving for health care expenses with the importance that it deserves. Unfortunately, most people don't do this.

It is simply irrational not to try very hard to save a lot of money for health care. Is your argument that health care care expenses are so high and random that people really shouldn't bother trying to save for them at all? Because if it's not that, then I'm not sure what we're arguing about.
Melkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #118
Seriously, 13 is bad
 
A.Ertbjerg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Superstitious and triskaidekaphobic
Posts: 10,454
Re: Are you for or against government healthcare

Isn't the problem that most of those people thought they were covered?

I mean if I have bought an insurance for health care and make my payments then I really shouldn't need to save on the side.
A.Ertbjerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #119
Pooh-Bah
 
dinopoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Must...bet...more!
Posts: 5,374
Re: Are you for or against government healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkerson View Post
Once again, if you look back to my first post in this thread, I never claimed that this isn't a problem or that some people wouldn't be bankrupt even if they saved as much as possible for health care expenses.

My point, once again, is that if there are a large number of people being bankrupted by medical bills under 10K (which was what was alleged in the post I first responded to and is compatible with the link you provided), then I'm sure that at least SOME of those people could have avoided it if they treated saving for health care expenses with the importance that it deserves. Unfortunately, most people don't do this.

It is simply irrational not to try very hard to save a lot of money for health care. Is your argument that health care care expenses are so high and random that people really shouldn't bother trying to save for them at all? Because if it's not that, then I'm not sure what we're arguing about.
In the socialized countries NOBODY is declaring bankruptcy because of medical expenses, though. Don't you think that kind of outweighs your whole expectation that a certain number of medical bankruptcies is a given? Why not have none if you can?
dinopoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #120
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,729
Re: Are you for or against government healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkerson View Post
If you look back to my original post in this thread, I was responding to someone who said that people were getting bankrupted by bills less than 10K.

But, as casey said, for this stuff, you buy insurance. And for a rational person that should be among the highest priorities. Unfortunately, most people don't see it this way.
If people's employers werent subsidizing the cost of insurance, then your true out of pocket monthly expenses would be in the $500-$600's. Thats just for the premiums, not counting deductibles or other things to save for. Most people only make about $2000-$3000 per month, so thats 25% of their income on average going towards just covering the premiums. To save $10,000 would require an additional $200-$1000 per month in savings, depending on your goals. Plus most insurance only pays up to 80% of your treatment anyway for a whole variety of issues. So someone should really be putting 50% or more of their income towards health insurance, just for the off-chance that they might get seriously injured. Then they have the privilege of having a board of people look for any opportunity to deny this coverage.

This is simply not realistic. If all the insurance companies decided to gouge consumers (more than they already do) and demand 80% of your income to cover you, do you think it would be stupid of people to reject it then?

The simple truth of the matter is the problem is a profit driven healthcare system. Healthcare isnt a choice, it isnt a luxury. The health and well-bodied population of a country is necessary to ensure longterm success. Healthcare should be considered a fundamental utility provided to us much in the way our military, police force, fire departments, and intra/interstate road networks are.
javi is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive