Originally Posted by CharlieDontSurf
Romney will get on both knees and beg for Rubio to be his VP
Seems like it would be pretty high reward/low risk for Rubio to accept to be on the ticket. And Romney's interest in choosing him seems obvious too. I mean you have to try hard to be like Palin and get blamed for losing and embarrass yourself in the process.
Seems like if Rubio has Presidential aspirations, the rewards are:
- huge boost in national profile and a bunch of free media to pimp yourself
- access and networking and ability to build relationship with GOP elites and donors as part of the campaign
- national campaign experience, access to top-level advisers and coaching
- perception you're the "next-in-line" win (in 2020) or lose (in 2016)
Downsides? Seem Palin is instructive here:
- if you're unprepared and can't handle Katie Couric, maybe you don't want to accept. But then again if you can't handle Katie Couric, that speaks to bad things about your political future regardless
- some people will probably say the Tea Party types will hold it against Rubio for joining the ticket of a Northeastern moderate liberal Mormon guy, but then again, joining John McCain's ticket didn't cost Sarah Palin any points with the Tea Party.
Unless there's something I'm missing, I don't see why Rubio would ever turn down the opportunity unless there's some personal stuff or he's genuinely not interested in being President one day.