Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > Other Topics > Politics

Notices

Politics political discourse

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
Administrator
 
David Sklansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,705
Mean Republicans

Liberals like to charactertize conservatives as not caring as much about their fellow man as much as they do. Their resistance to redistributing wealth would be one example where they think this shows. Conservatives deny this charge and argue that the policies that liberals espouse would actually, on average, do more harm than good to their fellow man. And almost certainly the conservatives are, with a few exceptions, correct. Adam Smith's invisible hand is better than government intervention. Everybody trying to maximize their own self interested goals is what works best for society as a whole.

The only problem I have with this is that conservatives use the above fact to refute the liberals initial charge. As if the reason they want to maximize their self interest is for the good of everyone. Yeah sure. Sort of like the people here who play internet poker for a living and pretend they want it legalized because the government has no right to tell them what sites to visit. In both cases the people are just lucky that the arguments favor policies that are personally to their benefit. But suppose those arguments were proved to be probably wrong. What percent would change their stance?
David Sklansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,690
Re: Mean Republicans

I don't think Conservatives bother to justify themselves anyway. They are selfish in their approach and just grab what they can. I don't think the least regulated societies "work best". It sounds like the Wild West to us over in Europe.
Cwocwoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
BT2
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mos Eisley
Posts: 4,343
Re: Mean Republicans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwocwoc View Post
I don't think Conservatives bother to justify themselves anyway. They are selfish in their approach and just grab what they can..
**** you man that is my mother you are talking about!
BT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,690
Re: Mean Republicans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT2 View Post
**** you man that is my mother you are talking about!

TMI. I don't need to know you have a mother.
Cwocwoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
banned
 
the steam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,521
Re: Mean Republicans

Conservatives love to spout that BS about reducing the size of govt. They are hypocrites, they love big govt when it suits their agenda.
the steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,690
Re: Mean Republicans

Quote:
Originally Posted by the steam View Post
Conservatives love to spout that BS about reducing the size of govt. They are hypocrites, they love big govt when it suits their agenda.
eg they like big military spending.
Cwocwoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Jbrochu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,452
Re: Mean Republicans

OP are you talking about theoretical conservatives, or modern day people who identify as conservatives? Because while it's pretty clear modern day conservatives prefer the invisible hand when it comes to stuff like decreasing govt interference with doing business, they have no problem whatsoever meddling with people's sex lives and other personal choices.
Jbrochu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
banned
 
the steam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,521
Re: Mean Republicans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwocwoc View Post
eg they like big military spending.
and corporate subsidies/welfare
the steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
Got Out the Vote
 
rjoefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Organizing strip club workers
Posts: 23,883
Re: Mean Republicans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwocwoc View Post
eg they like big military spending.
They like spending in general. Look at the green energy hearing the other day where all the R's got up and said 'I have not and would not ever ask for this type of spending in my state or to speed it up and end up with a Solyndra in my district!' only to have all their letters doing exactly those types of things come out the next day. Or how they'll be all over all spending huge amounts of money and manpower on enforcing their social agenda. It's all BS.
rjoefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
[Phill]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 46,699
Re: Mean Republicans

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sklansky View Post
Conservatives deny this charge and argue that the policies that liberals espouse would actually, on average, do more harm than good to their fellow man. And almost certainly the conservatives are, with a few exceptions, correct.
This isnt even close to proven.
[Phill] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,783
Re: Mean Republicans

I would posit most humans have a blend of selfishness and altruism in them. Modern parties tend to lump traits together (as in the same people that don't believe in global warming also are prolife and are also hawks in war even though these are all very different). So I dont think it is a huge surprise that one party would be more on the altruistic side and the other in the selfish side I don't even think this is a bad thing or should be considered a pejorative to republicans.
uke_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
banned
 
actionzip54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,863
Re: Mean Republicans

Lol like ten posts and not a single one, A SINGLE ONE, even remotely comes close to responding to OP's question.

Congrats,
Politics forum.

P.S. for a second I thought I was in BBV or 4L.
actionzip54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,690
Re: Mean Republicans

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionzip54 View Post
Lol like ten posts and not a single one, A SINGLE ONE, even remotely comes close to responding to OP's question.

Congrats,
Politics forum.

P.S. for a second I thought I was in BBV or 4L.
If that's your opinion what's your answer ?
Cwocwoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
self-banned
 
Case Closed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: pooping my big boy pants
Posts: 19,112
Re: Mean Republicans

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionzip54 View Post
Lol like ten posts and not a single one, A SINGLE ONE, even remotely comes close to responding to OP's question.

Congrats,
Politics forum.

P.S. for a second I thought I was in BBV or 4L.
Sklansky thread tho
Case Closed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
Just tries harder
 
tomdemaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: but some of my best friends are AC
Posts: 15,045
Re: Mean Republicans

When it comes to politics people are often contradictory and hypocritical you say? I'm sure you'll deign to name this discovery the Sklansky hypothesis no doubt. If you want great evidence of this just look into the immigration threads we have going here intellectual bobbing and weaving that would dazzle Ali.

A : I'm anti immigration because they take our jobs

B : Actually if you review these studies they show pretty conclusively that immigration is a boon to the economy, generally creating wealth and jobs.

A : Maybe but I'm anti immigration because they don't pay taxes and they consume our services.

B : Again all the evidence points to the fact that illegal immigrants generally pay for more in taxes than they take from the system. They pay property taxes and sales taxes and gas taxes and rarely taxes deductions or use services that a citizen would for fear of being discovered.

A : Well I'm anti immigration because they're more likely to be criminals

B : In fact normalising the data for socio economic factors illegal immigrants generally commit an equal or sometimes lesser amount of crimes than citizens.

A : Yeah but THEY BORKED DA LAW!

B : Don't you agree that some laws are immoral and should be broken. Was it morally wrong to free slaves even though it was against the law?

A : I'm anti immigration.

B : But why?

A : I just am!

B : Sigh.
tomdemaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive