Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Politics political discourse

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #201
DVaut1
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DVaut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 27,807
Re: March LC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
GOP has such massive control in KY, and it's the Trump wing, to boot. It's so dispiriting. I have friends who know me as "the politics guy," and they're asking what they should call their reps about. I have no clue what to tell them, because all this **** is passing in the general assembly by 2:1 margins.
A casual reading of history both in the US and around the world, really, suggests that sometimes the political system is drastically set against you such that perfunctory machinations won't work. For better or worse America has a highly federalized system such that advice like "call your Congressman over and over!" might be extremely helpful if not imperative in true swing districts or at least with persuadable leadership. But it might be an entirely pointless endeavor in other environments. Like yours, maybe. Context matters.

So I think you have to do like the revolutionaries of old and take up the spirit of early 19th century socialists, or the American colonists' revolt and the nascent beginning of the revolution against Britain in the 1760s, or the Civil Rights Movement in the 1940s and 50s. You need to start building the case with your neighbors first. Convincing the community around you to change their minds and revisit how they engage with politics. Only then later when you have a critical mass of like-minded people can you engage with the system.

That is to say, you may be ahead of yourself and your intuitive sense ("I have no clue what to tell them, all this manifestly terrible stuff is really popular") is probably true.
DVaut1 is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #202
lycosid
veteran
 
lycosid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,401
Re: March LC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
GOP has such massive control in KY, and it's the Trump wing, to boot. It's so dispiriting. I have friends who know me as "the politics guy," and they're asking what they should call their reps about. I have no clue what to tell them, because all this **** is passing in the general assembly by 2:1 margins.
I know the feeling. Every one of my representatives is a democrat, every single legislative body they sit in (above the city level) is controlled by Republicans. It's such a powerless feeling.
lycosid is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #203
ScreaminAsian
For President
 
ScreaminAsian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: grabbing life by the pussy
Posts: 21,299
Re: March LC Thread

ScreaminAsian is online now  
Old 03-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #204
einbert
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
einbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: seize the means of production
Posts: 14,591
Re: March LC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVaut1 View Post
A casual reading of history both in the US and around the world, really, suggests that sometimes the political system is drastically set against you such that perfunctory machinations won't work. For better or worse America has a highly federalized system such that advice like "call your Congressman over and over!" might be extremely helpful if not imperative in true swing districts or at least with persuadable leadership. But it might be an entirely pointless endeavor in other environments. Like yours, maybe. Context matters.

So I think you have to do like the revolutionaries of old and take up the spirit of early 19th century socialists, or the American colonists' revolt and the nascent beginning of the revolution against Britain in the 1760s, or the Civil Rights Movement in the 1940s and 50s. You need to start building the case with your neighbors first. Convincing the community around you to change their minds and revisit how they engage with politics. Only then later when you have a critical mass of like-minded people can you engage with the system.

That is to say, you may be ahead of yourself and your intuitive sense ("I have no clue what to tell them, all this manifestly terrible stuff is really popular") is probably true.
This is great stuff. I would also say to tell them just make it a habit of getting actively involved in your democracy. That can mean many different things, from engaging in conversations with neighbors to protesting to voting to community service or even an entire career dedicating to a cause or activism. We have come to this collective idea in America that democracy is just something you watch happen and then you live with the results, and that's only true so much as we make it true. The voting rate in this country is appalling. If we can get 1% or 2% or more people to turn out to vote for the next Presidential election, the Democrats will probably win the E.C. by a landslide. Think about that as you're engaging in long-term activism.
einbert is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #205
einbert
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
einbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: seize the means of production
Posts: 14,591
Re: March LC Thread

Some environments are so harsh against liberals/progressives in the U.S., you're #Resisting just by existing and flourishing there. Be as visible as you can be and don't be ashamed of your political beliefs and views. Be willing to have those hard conversations with people. That's what we're here for.
einbert is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #206
2/325Falcon
Conehead
 
2/325Falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 21,132
Re: March LC Thread

Make sure you tell your neighbors the Lucky Charms mascot is a hatemonger. #Resist
2/325Falcon is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #207
Riverman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Riverman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 70,691
Re: March LC Thread

Separate but equal. Tell those kids to find some ****ing bootstraps. Like Betsy.
Riverman is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #208
Huehuecoyotl
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Huehuecoyotl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: It's hard to get by on a smile
Posts: 22,665
Re: March LC Thread

I tell my neighbors that illegal immigrants are more deserving of the state's resources than vets because undocumented immigrants did/do more work. Doesn't go over too well.
Huehuecoyotl is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 02:05 PM   #209
2/325Falcon
Conehead
 
2/325Falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 21,132
Re: March LC Thread

Also, tell them that Republicanism leads to a life with tiny hands. No one wants that for their children.
2/325Falcon is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #210
Mayo
4l Mod of the Year
 
Mayo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: RIP dangeraw
Posts: 50,956
Re: March LC Thread

Thanks for the words, guys. I mostly know all this stuff. Just kind of venting.
Mayo is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #211
2/325Falcon
Conehead
 
2/325Falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 21,132
Re: March LC Thread

No problemo.
2/325Falcon is offline  
Old 03-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #212
shpanko
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
shpanko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: noitacol
Posts: 13,898
Re: March LC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HastenDan View Post
Re: Ossoff, his own three ads after raising 2 million in donations are pretty weak and makes him come across as a phony.
Noted liberal HastenDan at it again! I'm sure his next few posts will have just as much criticism of the Trump administration that he purportedly disagrees with...

Last edited by shpanko; 03-06-2017 at 09:45 PM.
shpanko is offline  
Old 03-07-2017, 12:46 AM   #213
JayTeeMe
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
JayTeeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The night shift
Posts: 24,864
Re: March LC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
So we shouldn't take expired drugs because they could be dangerous. What happens when lethal injection drugs expire?

Spoiler:
Typically the expiration date is the date when the drug has fallen to 90% potency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdef View Post
Yes, but social security has to work this way because it's insurance against running out of money in old age. Complaining about paying for X years but only getting Y of benefits is functionally the same as complaining that you've paid home insurance premiums for years but your house didn't even burn down once. What a rip off!
Kind of a strange spot to be dickish but yes.
JayTeeMe is offline  
Old 03-07-2017, 01:23 AM   #214
suzzer99
self-banned
 
suzzer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: on top of the bell curve
Posts: 81,636
Re: March LC Thread

When my stepdad died 3 years ago, we went through his stuff - he had a bunch of viagra sampler packs with expirations dates around 2004. I took them anyway and those things worked like a champ.
suzzer99 is offline  
Old 03-07-2017, 01:28 AM   #215
uDevil
Pooh-Bah
 
uDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cloudless climes and starry skies
Posts: 4,552
Re: March LC Thread

Quote:
“What do you like least about yourself?” A suspenseful pause followed. Was Gingrich going to say his failed marriage, his contentious involvement with scandals, the questionable political decisions he had made in his past? He did not. “I’m most embarrassed about my weight,” he said. “Aww,” Walters said, trying to ease the awkwardness. He went on, “I know it’s entirely a function of my personality that I swim, I eat the right things, and then I either have a chance to drink some Guinness or to eat some ice cream, and I cave.”
Barbara Walters interviewing Gingrich in 95, from The Secret Life of Fat by Sylvia Tara.
uDevil is online now  
Old 03-07-2017, 01:45 AM   #216
Trolly McTrollson
Under your bridges
 
Trolly McTrollson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winesburg, Ohio
Posts: 20,039
Re: March LC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
When my stepdad died 3 years ago, we went through his stuff - he had a bunch of viagra sampler packs with expirations dates around 2004. I took them anyway and those things worked like a champ.
I went through my uncle's stuff and found the biggest goddamn brick of marijuana I've ever seen. I tossed it bc I didn't want to get caught transporting that much stuff across state lines.
Trolly McTrollson is offline  
Old 03-07-2017, 03:44 AM   #217
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 69.20.56.132
Posts: 42,578
Re: March LC Thread

My dad left behind a bag full pills with enough opioids to kill scores of carneys at the New Hampshire State Fair. I took them to the police station where they have a place to dispose of such things.
microbet is offline  
Old 03-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #218
HastenDan
banned
 
HastenDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,711
Re: March LC Thread

No thread or even so much as a wikipeep on the crazy release?

Oh wait, there is no article on Vox or HuffingtonPost yet, makes sense I will wait :x
HastenDan is offline  
Old 03-07-2017, 12:06 PM   #219
shpanko
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
shpanko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: noitacol
Posts: 13,898
Re: March LC Thread

No posts by HastenDan condemning the 2nd Muslim Ban or terrible Republican ACA-replacement bill that will limit coverage for the poor/old/children? I will wait...
shpanko is offline  
Old 03-07-2017, 12:12 PM   #220
einbert
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
einbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: seize the means of production
Posts: 14,591
Re: March LC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HastenDan View Post
No thread or even so much as a wikipeep on the crazy release?

Oh wait, there is no article on Vox or HuffingtonPost yet, makes sense I will wait :x
This is the lovely piece of fake news 45* and WhatAboutDan are trying to spread today (why do they never just come out and say it. They're used to Trump's language protocol of letting the listener fill in the gaps in sentences/paragraphs with their imaginations).
einbert is offline  
Old 03-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #221
HastenDan
banned
 
HastenDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,711
Re: March LC Thread

Hard choice between smh and lol :x
HastenDan is offline  
Old 03-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #222
HastenDan
banned
 
HastenDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,711
Re: March LC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by einbert View Post
This is the lovely piece of fake news 45* and WhatAboutDan are trying to spread today (why do they never just come out and say it. They're used to Trump's language protocol of letting the listener fill in the gaps in sentences/paragraphs with their imaginations).
LOL! Vault7 bro! I understand the confusion, but that wasn't what I was referring to.

Though I would be careful about quoting Shaun King, he is on FlyWF's Not To Be Trusted Tweeter list.
HastenDan is offline  
Old 03-07-2017, 12:17 PM   #223
shpanko
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
shpanko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: noitacol
Posts: 13,898
Re: March LC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanko View Post
No posts by HastenDan condemning the 2nd Muslim Ban or terrible Republican ACA-replacement bill that will limit coverage for the poor/old/children? I will wait...
Thoughts Dan? I'm sure you'll be equally outraged at these illiberal developments given you are a noted liberal.
shpanko is offline  
Old 03-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #224
einbert
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
einbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: seize the means of production
Posts: 14,591
Re: March LC Thread

einbert is offline  
Old 03-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #225
HastenDan
banned
 
HastenDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,711
Re: March LC Thread

One of my close friends is an immigration lawyer. One of my friends is a muslim lawyer from Iraq. I have volunteered at the refugee center they both work at.

I call for universal health care and universal basic income. I supported candidates that did so as well.

Your attack on me is vile and absurd.

Sorry if I woke up and read the drop on the CIA and had a laugh that there was not a single peep about it itf.
HastenDan is offline  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online