Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Politics political discourse

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
Pride of Cucamonga
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 833
Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

Your money is your own, right?

Not if TSA employees at the airport are in the mood to harass you! Watch the video to see what happened to one law abiding citizen!

http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/589.html
Pride of Cucamonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:43 AM   #2
vixticator
clutch
 
vixticator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Watch the throne
Posts: 115,301
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

I thought he must have like 500k on him, lol 4700?

ARE YOU FROM THIS PLANET?
vixticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:57 AM   #3
General Tsao
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
General Tsao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: trembling in fear of tomdemaine
Posts: 30,156
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

General Tsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:04 AM   #4
ikestoys
banned
 
ikestoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: and don't vote trump/sanders
Posts: 94,444
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

it would be somewhat interesting if it was a huge amount, but 4.7k is nothing... wtf are these guys doing? Do they not realize that people carry a lot of cash when they travel? I'd be willing to bet that at least 100 other people went through that airport with more cash that day.


Obv avoiding the question of if they could do this with 500k or something, but at least that question would be somewhat interesting.
ikestoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:09 AM   #5
qdmcg
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,867
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

but think of all the drug dealers
qdmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:13 AM   #6
wiper
still catching up
 
wiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA#1
Posts: 40,512
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

lol....

listened to it, and laughed about them questioning him like this...'uhhhh, i'm on vacation???'

gg @ 'am i required to answer by law?'...
wiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:15 AM   #7
wiper
still catching up
 
wiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA#1
Posts: 40,512
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

ron paul, ftl...
wiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:27 AM   #8
vixticator
clutch
 
vixticator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Watch the throne
Posts: 115,301
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

The answer to the question, I think, is that it is not illegal to carry any amount of cash but federal officials can confiscate it. Right?
vixticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:28 AM   #9
Low Key
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Low Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Thank you, Florida
Posts: 33,333
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

This just seems like a huge instance of failure to communicate on the part of law enforcement.

Sure, there are the mountain men who support RP and are all about militias, but this kid so obviously falls under the more typical RP supporter, cash whore that doesn't want to pay taxes.

If you can't tell the difference, here it is: The militia men won't walk around with $5k in cash on their person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixticator View Post
The answer to the question, I think, is that it is not illegal to carry any amount of cash but federal officials can confiscate it. Right?
There very well may be laws against transporting certain amounts of cash over state lines/thru airports, but I could hardly see it being under $10,000.
Low Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:33 AM   #10
vixticator
clutch
 
vixticator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Watch the throne
Posts: 115,301
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Key View Post
If you can't tell the difference, here it is: The militia men won't walk around with $5k in cash on their person.
Oh, why not?
vixticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:59 AM   #11
Seether
old hand
 
Seether's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,741
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixticator View Post
Oh, why not?
Poor hicks, ldo.
Seether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #12
CheckRaise
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
CheckRaise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: $450,000 crack party
Posts: 20,740
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikestoys View Post
it would be somewhat interesting if it was a huge amount, but 4.7k is nothing... wtf are these guys doing? Do they not realize that people carry a lot of cash when they travel? I'd be willing to bet that at least 100 other people went through that airport with more cash that day.


Obv avoiding the question of if they could do this with 500k or something, but at least that question would be somewhat interesting.
this kind of **** happens all the time to people who carry a lot less than 500k in cash, if you're traveling internationally you're supposed to declare and fill out a form if you want to carry more than 10k and you'll most likely still get harassed/robbed by customs...there was a huge thread in HSNL about this where many people shared stories about being harrassed by police/customs/DEA officers and some had tens of thousands of dollars confiscated just because the government was suspicious of the cash

the OP of this thread got royally ****ed by the government

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/19...velers-398198/
CheckRaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:13 AM   #13
CheckRaise
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
CheckRaise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: $450,000 crack party
Posts: 20,740
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Key View Post
This just seems like a huge instance of failure to communicate on the part of law enforcement.

Sure, there are the mountain men who support RP and are all about militias, but this kid so obviously falls under the more typical RP supporter, cash whore that doesn't want to pay taxes.

If you can't tell the difference, here it is: The militia men won't walk around with $5k in cash on their person.



There very well may be laws against transporting certain amounts of cash over state lines/thru airports, but I could hardly see it being under $10,000.
as long as you're traveling from state to state you can carry as much cash as you want without declaring it afaik
CheckRaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:16 AM   #14
Low Key
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Low Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Thank you, Florida
Posts: 33,333
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckRaise View Post
as long as you're traveling from state to state you can carry as much cash as you want without declaring it afaik
True for all forms of transport? Just cars?
Low Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:20 AM   #15
CheckRaise
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
CheckRaise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: $450,000 crack party
Posts: 20,740
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Key View Post
True for all forms of transport? Just cars?
hmmm not sure, i was talking about airlines but i don't see how you would have to declare anything when traveling by car...i don't know for sure but i can't see them making you go through all the trouble of declaring 10k just to drive across state lines (although it really wouldn't surprise me with how ****ed up the government is)
CheckRaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:25 AM   #16
Low Key
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Low Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Thank you, Florida
Posts: 33,333
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckRaise View Post
(although it really wouldn't surprise me with how ****ed up the government is)
This is the reason I think there may actually be laws regarding it.
Low Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:38 AM   #17
CheckRaise
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
CheckRaise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: $450,000 crack party
Posts: 20,740
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Key View Post
This is the reason I think there may actually be laws regarding it.
i'm almost positive that carrying it by car is no problem, just be aware that if you're ever pulled over and they search your car for some reason (don't ever consent to a search ldo) and they find a large amount of cash you will have to answer for that and there is a good chance that they will seize the money and you will have to fill out paperwork/go to court to get it back.

if you're heading to vegas or something for a big event, say the WSOP and you'll be needing a lot of cash you're probably better off just wiring it and not taking that risk (although its a very small one)
CheckRaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:46 AM   #18
vixticator
clutch
 
vixticator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Watch the throne
Posts: 115,301
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckRaise View Post
if you're heading to vegas or something for a big event, say the WSOP and you'll be needing a lot of cash you're probably better off just wiring it and not taking that risk (although its a very small one)
Don't answer any questions.
vixticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:53 AM   #19
AlbertoKnox
Pooh-Bah
 
AlbertoKnox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,676
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

This kind of crap is so terrible. How awful is this police state going to be in 5 years when 10k buys a freaking sandwich.
AlbertoKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:23 AM   #20
Low Key
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Low Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Thank you, Florida
Posts: 33,333
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckRaise View Post
i'm almost positive that carrying it by car is no problem, just be aware that if you're ever pulled over and they search your car for some reason (don't ever consent to a search ldo)
Catch 22 imo -

Cop: "Can I search your car"

You: "No"

C: "I find it suspicious that you won't let me search your car, I'm now within my legal rights to search your car, or get a warrant, because you refused to let me search your car (reasonable suspicion)" - insert random line about 'if you have nothing to hide, blah blah blah' at some point

Y: "fml"


(I don't know if this is possible, and hope it wouldn't hold up in court, but it's something I could totally see happening.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoKnox View Post
This kind of crap is so terrible. How awful is this police state going to be in 5 years when 10k buys a freaking sandwich.
Does this go both ways? Like, would a bunch of people cheer me on if I said something like, "Boy, when Obama's done with our nation and we're all rich and a bucket a wings costs $0.33 because the dollar is worth more than any other currency, they won't be able to do this at all, because today's millionaire will be rich with only a few thousand dollars! ZOMG Socialism is teh graet!"
Low Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:39 AM   #21
CheckRaise
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
CheckRaise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: $450,000 crack party
Posts: 20,740
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Key View Post
Catch 22 imo -

Cop: "Can I search your car"

You: "No"

C: "I find it suspicious that you won't let me search your car, I'm now within my legal rights to search your car, or get a warrant, because you refused to let me search your car (reasonable suspicion)" - insert random line about 'if you have nothing to hide, blah blah blah' at some point

Y: "fml"


(I don't know if this is possible, and hope it wouldn't hold up in court, but it's something I could totally see happening.)
a refusal to consent to a search by itself is not considered probable cause so in a perfect world no that won't happen. you say no, they'll try to persuade you, you keep refusing and they'll either let you go, ticket you for whatever you got pulled over for or call in a drug dog. they don't need any probable cause to call in the dog though so make sure you're aren't carrying any illegal narcotics. if the dog gives a positive (even a false one) they now have the right to perform a full search of the vehicle...obviously the officer could lie and make up some bull**** story about probable cause (and the judge will probably believe him over you unfortunately) if he searched illegally and found something but idk there really isn't anything you can do about that, hire a good lawyer and hope for the best
CheckRaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #22
Pride of Cucamonga
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 833
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckRaise View Post
as long as you're traveling from state to state you can carry as much cash as you want without declaring it afaik
You are technically correct but practically wrong! Make no mistake about it:

If you are driving on I-95 or I-75 in Florida, get stopped for speeding or any other traffic violation, & law enforcement finds "excessive" amounts of cash on your person or in your vehicle, they are going to confiscate it & you are going to be forced to go through the time, expense, & hassle of expaining why you had so much $ on your person & that it is legal / declared money. They (the authorities) are going to automatically assume it's drug money & confiscate it, because if it is in fact drug money, they get to keep it!! And God help you if you also happen to have a weapon on your person or in your car!

Sorry, I don't have the links to support my statements above, but as a longtime resident of Florida, I can tell you that there have been a # of news articles over the years about this exact situation--law abiding citizens getting their money confiscated simply because they had "suspicious" amounts of money on their person. The one article I remember best was about a guy who was traveling with his wife from Orlando to south Florida to buy a used car, he got stopped, & they confiscated 14 grand. Don't know whether he got it back or not (I assume he did) but that's not the point.

The "Land of the Free" is no longer free!
Pride of Cucamonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #23
iron81
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Resident Spork
Posts: 15,545
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

Something similar happened to HSNLer Viffer: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/19...velers-398198/
iron81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #24
AlbertoKnox
Pooh-Bah
 
AlbertoKnox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,676
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Key View Post


Does this go both ways? Like, would a bunch of people cheer me on if I said something like, "Boy, when Obama's done with our nation and we're all rich and a bucket a wings costs $0.33 because the dollar is worth more than any other currency, they won't be able to do this at all, because today's millionaire will be rich with only a few thousand dollars! ZOMG Socialism is teh graet!"
Um, I would be glad (and shocked) because I have a positive amount of money. People with debt won't dig it though.
AlbertoKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #25
MuresanForMVP
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MuresanForMVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Verizon Center
Posts: 22,064
Re: Is it illegal to carry too much cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Key View Post
Catch 22 imo -

Cop: "Can I search your car"

You: "No"

C: "I find it suspicious that you won't let me search your car, I'm now within my legal rights to search your car, or get a warrant, because you refused to let me search your car (reasonable suspicion)" - insert random line about 'if you have nothing to hide, blah blah blah' at some point

Y: "fml"


(I don't know if this is possible, and hope it wouldn't hold up in court, but it's something I could totally see happening.)
well reasonable suspicion doesn't give the officer the right to search a car, and that would never hold up anyways.
MuresanForMVP is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online