Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Politics political discourse

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2016, 05:18 AM   #101
assortednuts
centurion
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 167
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
I don't follow.
By, "as a group" I should have spoken clearer. Basically, I was inferring that all things being equal( 2 way street), that w/o the added burden of an intangible, yet nonetheless, clear added burden of even small repeated incidents of only mild racism, their slog through life is certainly on average more difficult than a white person might expect to encounter. Wheeew! Thus, a lower than average expectations of catching a decent break once in a while. I never would assume all white people had millionaire benefactors.
assortednuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:55 AM   #102
Stromisle
centurion
 
Stromisle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: AZ
Posts: 178
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

You will get no argument from me about racism in police across the country. But Trump did not denigrate an entire ethnicity or brag about sexual assault.. that is the kind of wild exaggerations I hear from anti Trump spin artists.

He called for a ban on Muslims until we figure out what was going on, this was the day after a major terror attack. He called for more vigilance and cooperation from Muslim people who could spot extremists among them. And of course he called for better vetting of immigrants particularly those from terrorist hotbed places. I could agree that he was fear mongering, but he's not condoning any kind of discrimination or hatred towards Muslims. His statements were about Islamic extremists.

He may have groped someone at a party long ago.. that is the most I could believe him doing as far as sexual assault. We have protestors chanting "rapist." The women accusing him of assault waited 20 years, Give me a break. A recording exists of him saying something vulgar in a dressing room a long time ago.. and that proves he's a sexual predator? He had thousands of tweets throughout his campaign and there were a few that were classless, like the side by side pictures of he and Cruz's wives. He took the personal attacks too far in a nasty primaries.

I don't think tweeting "Thanks!" to a white supremcist user who congratulated him on something is equivalent to drawing allegience with the KKK., or retweeting a Jeb Bush meme that he liked that happened to be tweeted out by a similar type of user. I don't know how much thought Trump put into the affiliations of the users he was retweeting. I don't like the twitter stuff and I don't like a couple of sexist things he said over the course of his run, but I definitely would not call him a racist or misogynist. These words are thrown around way too loosely these days IMO.
Stromisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #103
einbert
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
einbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: seize the means of production
Posts: 14,591
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Trump just picked Steve Bannon, white nationalist and editor of breitbart to be his Chief Strategist.

einbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:52 AM   #104
Huehuecoyotl
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Huehuecoyotl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: It's hard to get by on a smile
Posts: 22,328
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromisle View Post
You will get no argument from me about racism in police across the country. But Trump did not denigrate an entire ethnicity or brag about sexual assault.. that is the kind of wild exaggerations I hear from anti Trump spin artists.

He called for a ban on Muslims until we figure out what was going on, this was the day after a major terror attack. He called for more vigilance and cooperation from Muslim people who could spot extremists among them. And of course he called for better vetting of immigrants particularly those from terrorist hotbed places. I could agree that he was fear mongering, but he's not condoning any kind of discrimination or hatred towards Muslims. His statements were about Islamic extremists.
While I agree with you that it's not direct hatred the implications are pretty damaging to Muslims. The assumption is that they're all suspect alien-type of people. Fear mongering goes hand and hand with discrimination as fear will give way to suspicion and suspicion to lashing out.
Huehuecoyotl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #105
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 69.20.56.132
Posts: 41,976
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromisle View Post
You will get no argument from me about racism in police across the country. But Trump did not denigrate an entire ethnicity or brag about sexual assault.. that is the kind of wild exaggerations I hear from anti Trump spin artists.

He called for a ban on Muslims until we figure out what was going on, this was the day after a major terror attack. He called for more vigilance and cooperation from Muslim people who could spot extremists among them. And of course he called for better vetting of immigrants particularly those from terrorist hotbed places. I could agree that he was fear mongering, but he's not condoning any kind of discrimination or hatred towards Muslims. His statements were about Islamic extremists.

He may have groped someone at a party long ago.. that is the most I could believe him doing as far as sexual assault. We have protestors chanting "rapist." The women accusing him of assault waited 20 years, Give me a break. A recording exists of him saying something vulgar in a dressing room a long time ago.. and that proves he's a sexual predator? He had thousands of tweets throughout his campaign and there were a few that were classless, like the side by side pictures of he and Cruz's wives. He took the personal attacks too far in a nasty primaries.

I don't think tweeting "Thanks!" to a white supremcist user who congratulated him on something is equivalent to drawing allegience with the KKK., or retweeting a Jeb Bush meme that he liked that happened to be tweeted out by a similar type of user. I don't know how much thought Trump put into the affiliations of the users he was retweeting. I don't like the twitter stuff and I don't like a couple of sexist things he said over the course of his run, but I definitely would not call him a racist or misogynist. These words are thrown around way too loosely these days IMO.
Lying or not, The words he said on the bus were a confession of sexual assault.

His ex-wife accused him of rape under oath in their divorce proceedings.
microbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:06 AM   #106
boobies4me
veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,204
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman220 View Post
This isn't like I'm arguing ZOMG George bush is a racist because his policies disadvantage minorities therefore anyone who supported him is racist.

Donald Trump ACTUALLY SAID ON THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL THAT HE WOULD BAN ALL MUSLIMS FROM ENTERING THE UNITED STATES. This isn't hard, and it's not close.


Quote:
Originally Posted by microbet View Post
Lying or not, The words he said on the bus were a confession of sexual assault.
Yeah, he's totally going around grabbing women by the ******. That seems much more likely than him just gloating in a lame manner about how easy it is to get girls with the "Trump" brand name.
boobies4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:08 AM   #107
Huehuecoyotl
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Huehuecoyotl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: It's hard to get by on a smile
Posts: 22,328
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Well there are a dozen women that said he did grab, touch, or generally be forceful on them so I don't know if we'll ever be able to crack the case to determine if that's what he really meant.
Huehuecoyotl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:08 AM   #108
PocketChads
guaranteed 42-10 finish
 
PocketChads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: am I super intelligent OH HELL NO
Posts: 20,723
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Good thing people voted for the less corrupt candidate

So uncorrupt you won't believe
PocketChads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:20 AM   #109
xosubucknutsx
grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 492
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman220 View Post
The election of Trump made me realize that there was systemic racism in our country as well as my profession, whether the election is what proves it as opposed to everything else that has happenned in recent history, I'll leave that to others. Yes, it needs to be changed, or **** it, burn it down and start over.
Then how do you explain Obama, a black man, winning the state's of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Florida, and Wisconsin both times he ran. But this election all 5 states voting for Trump?
xosubucknutsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:27 AM   #110
Double Eagle
Health Care Thread Czar
 
Double Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Pullin the Plug on Grannie
Posts: 8,278
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xosubucknutsx View Post
Then how do you explain Obama, a black man, winning the state's of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Florida, and Wisconsin both times he ran. But this election all 5 states voting for Trump?
Black man running for President of White Country vs. Garden Variety Country Club Republican = "We're voting for the ******"

White woman running for President of Brown Country vs. White Nationalist = "About time someone stands up for the white man, we want our country back."
Double Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #111
daca
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: get by
Posts: 7,884
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromisle View Post
You will get no argument from me about racism in police across the country. But Trump did not denigrate an entire ethnicity or brag about sexual assault.. that is the kind of wild exaggerations I hear from anti Trump spin artists.
every other night he used a poem to compare muslims to snakes that will kill you because it's their nature.
daca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:54 AM   #112
jman220
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jman220's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: My gimmick account is still a mod.
Posts: 9,948
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobies4me View Post



Yeah, he's totally going around grabbing women by the ******. That seems much more likely than him just gloating in a lame manner about how easy it is to get girls with the "Trump" brand name.
I don't know, the fact that like a dozen women came forward to accuse him of doing exactly what he admitted to doing is pretty gosh darn strong evidence that he did in fact do exactly what he said he did. If this were a criminal case where a woman came accused a defendant of grabbing her genitalia, and then there was a tape of the defendant bragging about grabbing women by the genitals without their permission, well that would be a pretty strong criminal case.
jman220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #113
SuperUberBob
Not interesting enough
 
SuperUberBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Home, wherever that is
Posts: 39,601
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Is Rebel Inc. from Stormfront? Sounds like their kind of rhetoric.
SuperUberBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:05 PM   #114
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 69.20.56.132
Posts: 41,976
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUberBob View Post
Is Rebel Inc. from Stormfront? Sounds like their kind of rhetoric.
Dunno, but his screen name certainly sounds like he supports violent rebellion against the United States of America in order to allow for the preservation of Southern culture.
microbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:16 PM   #115
+rep_lol
El Guapo
 
+rep_lol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9,606
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

jman i was quite tilted by some of the things i read from you in the threads about black people being killed by police, especially once i realized that you work(ed) in law enforcement (not that i was in any way surprised, tho). i respect you a lot more after this OP, i think it's a sign of true character and i dont expect that to mean hardly anything to you, but that's how i feel and i think you deserve to hear it
+rep_lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #116
Biesterfield
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Biesterfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7,543
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xosubucknutsx View Post
Then how do you explain Obama, a black man, winning the state's of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Florida, and Wisconsin both times he ran. But this election all 5 states voting for Trump?
Yeah, I'm torn on this issue. On the surface it is pretty damning evidence. Add to it that exit polls showed Latinos moving more Republican this election than '08/'12 (although to be fair this may not be true and we need more data) and you have a convincing case that it wasn't racism.

On the other hand, there is data showing that people voted on racial feelings more this election than '08/'12. Racial animosity correlates with more of the Republican vote than before. In the past 4 years the country has gotten more demographically diverse, this diversity is more apparent in pop culture etc. than ever before, and things like the Black Lives Matter movement have worked the right-wing base into a frenzy. How dare you disrespect the police! etc. Then Trump comes along and plays into these racial tensions and offers voters a distinct choice along racial lines like they have never been offered before.

So did people in the upper midwest, people who previously voted for Obama, get more racist in the past 4 years? Believe it or not, I think they may have.
Biesterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:00 PM   #117
goofyballer
 
goofyballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 59,089
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Also, think about one of the most common messages of support for Trump we heard over the election cycle - "he says what we're all thinking but the liberals told us we can't say".

I'm pretty sure what "the liberals told us we can't say" wasn't related to expressing their economic anxiety.
goofyballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:27 PM   #118
vhawk01
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
vhawk01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: GHoFFANMWYD
Posts: 31,866
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biesterfield View Post
Yeah, I'm torn on this issue. On the surface it is pretty damning evidence. Add to it that exit polls showed Latinos moving more Republican this election than '08/'12 (although to be fair this may not be true and we need more data) and you have a convincing case that it wasn't racism.
Think about what you are saying here
vhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #119
Biesterfield
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Biesterfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7,543
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhawk01 View Post
Think about what you are saying here
what am I saying?
Biesterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:49 AM   #120
5ive
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Harvard, in a place like Africa
Posts: 6,658
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xosubucknutsx View Post
Then how do you explain Obama, a black man, winning the state's of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Florida, and Wisconsin both times he ran. But this election all 5 states voting for Trump?
Voter. Suppression.

https://thinkprogress.org/what-happe...8f6#.gbus9jsd8


http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...utted-20160623


http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...s-working.html


http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...voting/506963/

https://thinkprogress.org/2016-a-cas...dcd#.1bk5xhhof
5ive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #121
hornbug
grinder
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 649
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
Voter. Suppression.
in the form of good persuasion as in "are you going to cast a vote for a corrupt politician?" - very effective among voters with a moral compass
hornbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #122
PocketChads
guaranteed 42-10 finish
 
PocketChads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: am I super intelligent OH HELL NO
Posts: 20,723
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornbug View Post
in the form of good persuasion as in "are you going to cast a vote for a corrupt politician?" - very effective among voters with a moral compass
Corruption like you've never seen. Believe me!
PocketChads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #123
vhawk01
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
vhawk01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: GHoFFANMWYD
Posts: 31,866
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biesterfield View Post
what am I saying?
your point relies on the default assumption that Latinos arent racist
vhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #124
JohnyCrash
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,234
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman220 View Post
I don't know, the fact that like a dozen women came forward to accuse him of doing exactly what he admitted to doing is pretty gosh darn strong evidence that he did in fact do exactly what he said he did. If this were a criminal case where a woman came accused a defendant of grabbing her genitalia, and then there was a tape of the defendant bragging about grabbing women by the genitals without their permission, well that would be a pretty strong criminal case.
I am not sure those women are believable. I mean why didn't they come forward when it first happened? Why didn't they come forward during anytime after that, and only come out once he was the Republican nominee and that tape came out?
JohnyCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #125
tomdemaine
Just tries harder
 
tomdemaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Social Justice Rogue
Posts: 17,045
Re: Dear Black Lives Matter Supporters and Black People in General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyCrash View Post
I am not sure those women are believable. I mean why didn't they come forward when it first happened? Why didn't they come forward during anytime after that, and only come out once he was the Republican nominee and that tape came out?
Look what happened to them when the did come forward. The president of the most powerful country in the world threatened to sue them and they got a torrent of abuse on social media. Not to mention that there's a tape of trump saying he did this stuff and you still dont believe them it's tough to imagine you would have been much more believing 20 years ago or whatever.

You know how mean liberals give you a sad and make you vote trump. What do you think vile and disgusting abuse and disbelief does to these women?
tomdemaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online