Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Politics political discourse

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #126
AllTheCheese
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AllTheCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sad life; won't change
Posts: 9,578
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Not wanting any military action is fine and sensible. But giving Assad the benefit of the doubt is absurd.
AllTheCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #127
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 69.20.56.132
Posts: 42,511
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theballer84 View Post
No way is she too friendly with Assad, she just doesn't think we need to start a war over this ****. But I know the drill, everyone who doesn't want to march to war immediately is anti-American. Been there, done that. It's been like this for 15 years.
This is looking accurate. No matter how many gas attacks there have been in the past and by other countries that were ignored, how many innocents are killed in other ways including by US bombing, how many Kurds Erdogan murders or people SA beheads or stones, this now is where we must act in a big way. War has somehow been collectively decided on. Democrats will fall in line or even lead the charge.
microbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #128
theballer84
grinder
 
theballer84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 686
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by einbert View Post
I already said I don't want to go to war so why do you keep LYING about my position? Is it because you can't defend your position on substance?
So you don't want to go to war but you want the person who thinks we are rushing to war to get removed from office because she takes a nuanced position in recognizing that killing a whole bunch of people in response to another guy killing people is just eye for an eye leaving everyone dead?
theballer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #129
HastenDan
banned
 
HastenDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,711
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by einbert View Post
I already said I don't want to go to war so why do you keep LYING about my position? Is it because you can't defend your position on substance?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.5784e1d99ac1
Might want to do some actual research into the topic instead of taking a WaPo opinion columnist as the complete truth. But that would require actual reading and research and critical thinking, as opposed to staying inside your low information echo chamber twittersphere.
HastenDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #130
MrWookie
Don't Call Me Shirley
 
MrWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Treating my drinking problem.
Posts: 84,142
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HastenDan View Post
Might want to do some actual research into the topic instead of taking a WaPo opinion columnist as the complete truth. But that would require actual reading and research and critical thinking, as opposed to staying inside your low information echo chamber twittersphere.
You could always just post a link you think is better rather than trolling.
MrWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #131
theballer84
grinder
 
theballer84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 686
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/tu...rticle/2619627

Quote:
Democratic Rep. Tulsi Gabbard on Thursday demanded that Syrian President Bashar Assad be "executed" if it is confirmed he ordered the deadly chemical attack earlier this week that killed dozens of Syrian civilians, according to a report.
Quote:
After the stike, Gabbard put out another statement condeming the administration for acting "recklessly without care or consideration of the dire consequences of the United States attack on Syria without waiting for the collection of evidence from the scene of the chemical poisoning."
Do you see what I mean about nuance?
theballer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #132
einbert
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
einbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: seize the means of production
Posts: 14,591
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Exactly, she is putting forward the position that it WASN'T Assad. And she will continue to assert "no evidence" that Assad is behind chemical attack, just like Republicans continue to assert "no evidence" that Russia interfered in our elections. They're willfully looking away from the evidence.
einbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #133
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 69.20.56.132
Posts: 42,511
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theballer84 View Post
Moderate rebels is an oxymoron.

Yes, the U.S. is funding and arming al-Q and ISIS because it destabilizes the established regimes because as I've said WE need to control the land and resources for military strategic purposes.
This isn't true. The Democratic Confederation of Northern Syria is an autonomous region with 4.6 million people has freedom of religion, recognition of all ethnic groups, women's rights, democracy and is combating ISIS.
microbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #134
einbert
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
einbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: seize the means of production
Posts: 14,591
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theballer84 View Post
So you don't want to go to war but you want the person who thinks we are rushing to war to get removed from office because she takes a nuanced position in recognizing that killing a whole bunch of people in response to another guy killing people is just eye for an eye leaving everyone dead?
No, I've said this before and you continue to LIE about my positions. I want her primaried because she has shown a repeated pattern of being pro-Assad, including meeting with Assad as recently as a few months ago.

It seems your main purpose here might be to distract people from substantive conversation and facts. I wonder who would have that purpose.
einbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #135
FlyWf
It's the other way
 
FlyWf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: [ ] REGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE
Posts: 54,340
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Gabbard soft-endorsed the idea that it was a false flag and not Assad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsi Gabbard
(2/3) Whoever is found responsible, be it the Syrian govt, al-Qaeda, or ISIS, (all have access to chemical weapons) must be held accountable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lion of 2p2
to staying inside your low information echo chamber twittersphere.
Uh, you mean reading the_donald here, right?
FlyWf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #136
FlyWf
It's the other way
 
FlyWf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: [ ] REGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE
Posts: 54,340
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Dan also made a weird aside about Obama arming bad hombres(and when pressed gave the same nonsense deflection with no source), huh, weird that all these Clinton voting reasonable people also think Obama is in cahoots with ****ing ISIS.
FlyWf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #137
theballer84
grinder
 
theballer84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 686
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by einbert View Post
It seems your main purpose here might be to distract people from substantive conversation and facts. I wonder who would have that purpose.
This is totally the wrong take.

I'm here for encouraging a full investigation. That doesn't make me pro-Assad.

We'll have to disagree about my characterization of your position.
theballer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #138
einbert
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
einbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: seize the means of production
Posts: 14,591
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

U.S. Officials: Syria Gas Attack Consistent With Nerve Agent
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u-...-agent-n742981

Syria poison gas attack has fingerprints of Assad government: U.S. intel official
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mi...-idUSKBN1762QV

Yet for Gabbard, it's not "he should be executed for these chemical weapons attacks," it's "IF he did it, he should be executed." She's trying to spread doubt about something that is pretty much known. If the sarin attacks were perpetrated by the rebels or ISIS, WHERE IS THEIR AIR FORCE? Those attacks came from the sky.
einbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #139
Oroku$aki
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Oroku$aki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Blithe
Posts: 6,210
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guivre1408 View Post
Is Trump the new favourite for peace nobel prize ?

Obama got one doing the exact same thing
One time for some soothing absurdity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie View Post
You could always just post a link you think is better rather than trolling.
Why do you allow this guy to call posters liars without asking him to prove the lies he's accusing people of making, or eat a ban? Not cool that he can casually drop that on people and walk away without a scratch.
Oroku$aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #140
theballer84
grinder
 
theballer84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 686
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

I disagree that it is known - there are plenty of reasons for actors other than Assad to want to make it appear that he used chemical weapons - look at how everyone is cool with war now
theballer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #141
champstark
aka starkwired
 
champstark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 12,616
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theballer84 View Post
I disagree that it is known - there are plenty of reasons for actors other than Assad to want to make it appear that he used chemical weapons - look at how everyone is cool with war now
The very first thing you have to do to BEGIN to have people take your absurd conspiracy theory seriously is provide a serious, viable alternative. General statements like this mean nothing.
champstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #142
MrWookie
Don't Call Me Shirley
 
MrWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Treating my drinking problem.
Posts: 84,142
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by champstark View Post
The very first thing you have to do to BEGIN to have people take your absurd conspiracy theory seriously is provide a serious, viable alternative. General statements like this mean nothing.
Exactly. We are going to need some evidence in support of a relatively coherent alternative explanation, or it is going to be banhammer time.
MrWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #143
Trolly McTrollson
Under your bridges
 
Trolly McTrollson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winesburg, Ohio
Posts: 20,027
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by einbert View Post
Exactly, she is putting forward the position that it WASN'T Assad. And she will continue to assert "no evidence" that Assad is behind chemical attack, just like Republicans continue to assert "no evidence" that Russia interfered in our elections. They're willfully looking away from the evidence.
Not sure if Syrians...
Trolly McTrollson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:47 PM   #144
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 69.20.56.132
Posts: 42,511
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie View Post
Exactly. We are going to need some evidence in support of a relatively coherent alternative explanation, or it is going to be banhammer time.
History has shown that the incident which starts a war should absolutely be viewed skeptically. It also shows that authority will come down hard on any skepticism. Knees have jerked. Drums are beating.
microbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #145
andre006
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
andre006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: dab
Posts: 8,629
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Saddam had anthrax and Assad waited 6 years into a war that he was winning to drop some Sarin, 'MURICA.
andre006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #146
pyatnitski
centurion
 
pyatnitski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 182
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Finding out exactly who's doing the fighting in Syria outside of the Kurdish areas is a frustrating business. It's true, though, that most of the time you find a named force mentioned for 'the Rebels' or The FSA they turn out to be a jihadist group. This is a quote from the introduction to Patrick Cockburn's latest book, who's a pretty respected Irish journalist who writes for The Independent in the UK, and who's been covering the Middle East conflicts, largely from there, for years.
Quote:
It was only in the first half of 2015 that there was a general admission that, ruthless though the Syrian government might be in barrel-bombing civilian areas, the armed opposition was by then almost entirely dominated by ISIS and Jabhat al-Nusra, the al-Qa’ida affiliate. Sympathetic reporting of rebel-held areas in Iraq, Syria and Libya largely died away because they had become too dangerous for any local or foreign journalist to visit without risking kidnapping or decapitation.
And later on in the book, talking about the period just before the Russians became involved
Quote:
Again there was talk about how the regime might be crumbling, though there was by now much anxiety at this prospect among Western governments because it was clear that the Syrian military opposition had become wholly dominated by ISIS and al-Qa’ida clones. There was no significant moderate armed opposition surviving and, when the US tried to build one up, it was ruthlessly crushed by Jabhat al-Nusra, which kidnapped or killed its members as they crossed into Syria. It was widely suspected that Turkish intelligence had tipped off the jihadis.
I saw a documentary on French TV a little while back about the moderate opposition in Syria, and how they'd been brutally repressed by the Regime in Damascus in the early years of the war. The film ended with those that had escaped talking about their depression now much of the country seemed in the grip of two opposing horrors, the Regime and jihadists.

I hope otherwise, and it's certainly the case that not all armed jihadist groups are equivalent to Islamic State, but it's difficult to be confident of continued armed moderate resistance outside of the Kurdish regions. Most politicians in the West talk around this issue in a way that I find pretty disingenuous at best. It's impossible to know for sure from where I am, though.

I absolutely don't want this post to be a defence of supporting the slaughter-happy Syrian Regime, or of conspiracy theories about the sarin attack. Just trying to undermine a complacent use of terms like 'Rebels' for anti-Regime forces, and any idea that just weakening the Regime is sufficient for a decent Syria policy. Letting them consolidate power, which was what, in effect, Trump's first few months amounted to, is no recipe for a better Syria either. Every time they've felt more secure they've used the opportunity to attack, which involves deliberate civilian slaughter.
pyatnitski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #147
campfirewest
Pooh-Bah
 
campfirewest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Not trying to suck my own cock
Posts: 5,570
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolly McTrollson View Post
Not sure if Syrians...
A+
campfirewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:01 PM   #148
FlyWf
It's the other way
 
FlyWf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: [ ] REGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE
Posts: 54,340
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

The gas was dropped from the air, none of the rebel groups(be they jihadist or otherwise) have a functioning airforce. So the conspiracy here is either:

1) Russia did it
2) Turkey did it
3) NATO did it
4) Israel did it?

Who exactly are we blaming here?
FlyWf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #149
seattlelou
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
seattlelou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 6'20" and killing for fun.
Posts: 31,605
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbet View Post
History has shown that the incident which starts a war should absolutely be viewed skeptically. It also shows that authority will come down hard on any skepticism. Knees have jerked. Drums are beating.
Nothing has created the greatest post WWII humanitarian crisis. The drum beating you are hearing is an auditory hallucination that is drowning out the sounds of the war that has been going on for years because the US doesn't care enough to stop it and the bad actors know it.
seattlelou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #150
MrWookie
Don't Call Me Shirley
 
MrWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Treating my drinking problem.
Posts: 84,142
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWf View Post
The gas was dropped from the air, none of the rebel groups(be they jihadist or otherwise) have a functioning airforce. So the conspiracy here is either:

1) Russia did it
2) Turkey did it
3) NATO did it
4) Israel did it?

Who exactly are we blaming here?
You forgot

5) No one did it
6) The USA did it
MrWookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online