Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Politics political discourse

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #101
einbert
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
einbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: seize the means of production
Posts: 14,591
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbet View Post
The old standard sucked and the Dems should never have been a rubber stamp on military action.
True.
einbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #102
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 69.20.56.132
Posts: 42,511
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Champstark,

Is that wrong? Saddam gassed people too, but removing him was a major cause of all of this. And the buck doesn't necessarily stop with Syria. Jordan, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia and North Africa are all vulnerable. A missile strike on an old airbase isn't making that happen, but if this is policy what makes you think more chaos isn't the result?
microbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #103
raradevils
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
raradevils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: waiting NJ to add more states
Posts: 7,779
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbet View Post
Champstark,

Is that wrong? Saddam gassed people too, but removing him was a major cause of all of this. And the buck doesn't necessarily stop with Syria. Jordan, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia and North Africa are all vulnerable. A missile strike on an old airbase isn't making that happen, but if this is policy what makes you think more chaos isn't the result?
That's why we and the UN put in place the no-fly zone in Iraq.
raradevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #104
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 69.20.56.132
Posts: 42,511
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raradevils View Post
That's why we and the UN put in place the no-fly zone in Iraq.
Like I said, this one attack isn't going to destabilize things much further, but now Trump is in charge, not Bill Clinton and there's no UN support.

Also, did Clinton's actions in Iraq make things better? Pretty gross when Madeline Albright just says killing 500 000 children was worth it.

(Edit: I thought I was replying to Champstark, but w/e. )
microbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #105
champstark
aka starkwired
 
champstark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 12,616
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbet View Post
Champstark,

Is that wrong? Saddam gassed people too, but removing him was a major cause of all of this. And the buck doesn't necessarily stop with Syria. Jordan, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia and North Africa are all vulnerable. A missile strike on an old airbase isn't making that happen, but if this is policy what makes you think more chaos isn't the result?
Are you referring to the Gabbard quote?

I don't disagree with you, I posted that quote because she openly doubts that Assad gassed the civilians, lending credence to all the idiots with their conspiracy theories. It is fully in line with her ridiculous meeting with Assad and support of Putin/Assad. All of which HastenDan has defended.
champstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #106
einbert
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
einbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: seize the means of production
Posts: 14,591
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Gabbard needs to get primary'd badly. She's a Democrat from Hawaii.

How Tulsi Gabbard became Assad’s mouthpiece in Washington
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.dc83e32f3721
einbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #107
dinopoker
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
dinopoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Must...bet...more!
Posts: 7,487
Re: America Going to War with Syria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HastenDan View Post
Sure would have been nice had the Obama administration not knowingly armed some real bad hombres.
Obama gave sarin gas to Assad? Cite?
dinopoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #108
theballer84
grinder
 
theballer84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 686
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

How dare anyone question the official line! Let's go to war immediately! Why bother presenting the case to the U.N.? Definitely get rid of Tulsi, no one likes her! She said something that made me think too hard!
theballer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:09 AM   #109
th14
old hand
 
th14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,240
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

I'm seeing people say Syria is very similar to Iraq. I disagree.

when Iraq was invaded, it had been more than a decade since Saddam had last used chemical weapons. Saddam agreed to give them up and U.N. weapons inspectors could not find any evidence to the contrary. America, contrary to the rest of the world, insisted that Saddam had restarted his programs, and invaded as a pre-emptive measure. We now know the U.N. and world community was right, and the Bush administration had pushed the USIC for biased 'evidence' in support of their invasion.

This is not the same as an 6 years-ongoing civil war where Assad has repeatedly used chemical weapons against his people and did so again just a few days ago.
th14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #110
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 69.20.56.132
Posts: 42,511
Re: America Going to War with Syria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinopoker View Post
Obama gave sarin gas to Assad? Cite?
Brief googling suggests the Russians supplied Syria with sarin in the 80's, but they can manufacture it themselves now. Syria bought 100 metric tons of precursors from German companies from 2002-2006.
microbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #111
einbert
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
einbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: seize the means of production
Posts: 14,591
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theballer84 View Post
How dare anyone question the official line! Let's go to war immediately! Why bother presenting the case to the U.N.? Definitely get rid of Tulsi, no one likes her! She said something that made me think too hard!
I'm not for going to war. Trump didn't present the case to the U.N. for his airstrikes either. I've been against Gabbard since before the strikes because she is clearly pro-Assad. She was pushing pro-Assad conspiracy theories after the chemical weapons attack.
einbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:21 AM   #112
einbert
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
einbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: seize the means of production
Posts: 14,591
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

This pretty much says it all for me:

einbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #113
plzd0nate
veteran
 
plzd0nate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,416
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Is it a far fetched conspiracy theory that this whole thing has been orchestrated to deflect attention away from Trump and Russia controversy? After the gas attack happened they could have seen an opportunity. Now it looks like Trump is going against Putin on something and Russia is condemning Trump.
plzd0nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #114
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 69.20.56.132
Posts: 42,511
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Now Gabbard is a Nazi. That was fast.
microbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #115
champstark
aka starkwired
 
champstark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 12,616
Re: America Going to War with Syria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbet View Post
Syria bought 100 metric tons of precursors from German companies from 2002-2006.
definitely twitched a little when I read this part
champstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #116
champstark
aka starkwired
 
champstark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 12,616
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbet View Post
Now Gabbard is a Nazi. That was fast.
I don't think she's a Nazi, I think she's a pro-Putin opportunist who latched onto the Bernie wave and is trying to become the Rand Paul of the left.
champstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #117
th14
old hand
 
th14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,240
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Tulsi Gabbard is a member of a cult-like sect of Hinduism, she supports Assad because he is secular and she imagines that no matter what he does it could be even worse if an Islamist took his place. (Hindus and Muslims have conflicted for a long time)
th14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #118
einbert
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
einbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: seize the means of production
Posts: 14,591
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by champstark View Post
I don't think she's a Nazi, I think she's a pro-Putin opportunist who latched onto the Bernie wave and is trying to become the Rand Paul of the left.
Right. She's not a Nazi but she is way too friendly with Assad. She needs to go.
einbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #119
Paul McSwizzle
Pooh-Bah
 
Paul McSwizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: but her emails
Posts: 5,299
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUberBob View Post
Is Trump intelligent enough to understand that? Even if he is, would he care what happens to brown people? Most of his supporters love him because of how openly he talked about torturing suspected terrorists for no reason and bombing their families.

I'm not saying that a military operation is likely to happen but there's an element of unpredictability that the world shares with us that makes it impossible for me to completely rule out an invasion.
I don't think this is true. It played well in the primaries among the crazy people, but most of his supporters are driven by selfishness and shielding their 70-80k/year from the government imo.
Paul McSwizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #120
SuperUberBob
Not interesting enough
 
SuperUberBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Home, wherever that is
Posts: 39,797
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul McSwizzle View Post
I don't think this is true. It played well in the primaries among the crazy people, but most of his supporters are driven by selfishness and shielding their 70-80k/year from the government imo.
If you heard a candidate say that and voted for him/her anyway, you are crazy. It doesn't matter what your main reason was.

Moral people don't vote for politicans who say things like that.
SuperUberBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #121
theballer84
grinder
 
theballer84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 686
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

No way is she too friendly with Assad, she just doesn't think we need to start a war over this ****. But I know the drill, everyone who doesn't want to march to war immediately is anti-American. Been there, done that. It's been like this for 15 years.

Richard Spencer is a ****ing idiot nazi and just because he says something you can't attribute Gabbard to being in cahoots with him. Wow that is a ridiculous point to use to slander her.

Also the claim that she latched on the Bernie wave as if she is just some opportunist is hilarious. **** outta here. She resigned from her position at the DNC because she was opposed to the way Bernie was getting railroaded in the primary AND as a military veteran she is not for preemptive go it alone war like the rest of the neoliberal establishment Democrats.

One ****ing politician has the slightest bit of moral fiber about anything and she is accused of supporting dictators, of being anti-Muslim, and associating with nazis.

Last edited by theballer84; 04-07-2017 at 11:52 AM.
theballer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #122
theballer84
grinder
 
theballer84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 686
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plzd0nate View Post
Is it a far fetched conspiracy theory that this whole thing has been orchestrated to deflect attention away from Trump and Russia controversy? After the gas attack happened they could have seen an opportunity. Now it looks like Trump is going against Putin on something and Russia is condemning Trump.
Absolutely nothing crazy about thinking like this at all.
theballer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #123
einbert
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
einbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: seize the means of production
Posts: 14,591
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theballer84 View Post
No way is she too friendly with Assad, she just doesn't think we need to start a war over this ****. But I know the drill, everyone who doesn't want to march to war immediately is anti-American. Been there, done that. It's been like this for 15 years.

Richard Spencer is a ****ing idiot nazi and just because he says something you can't attribute Gabbard to being in cahoots with him. Wow that is a ridiculous point to use to slander her.
I already said I don't want to go to war so why do you keep LYING about my position? Is it because you can't defend your position on substance?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.5784e1d99ac1
Quote:
Upon her return, Gabbard referenced those Syrians in interviews and op-eds to reinforce her long-held opposition to what she calls the U.S. “regime change” policy in Syria. She also asserted there are no moderate rebels in Syria and that the United States is funding and arming al-Qaeda and the Islamic State. Neither is true, but both match the talking points that the Assad regime has been pushing for the entirety of the war.

Principled opposition to U.S. intervention in Syria is one thing. Becoming a tool of a mass murderer’s propaganda and influence campaign is another. Gabbard’s cooperation with the Syrian regime damages her effort to promote herself as a legitimate foreign policy voice.
einbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #124
theballer84
grinder
 
theballer84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 686
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

By the way, I do believe that we perhaps need to go to war in Syria in order to protect our interests: energy resources and control of the land around them. But let's at least agree that this is what war is about.

Instead we're going to kill thousands more as retribution for 75 people dying in a gas attack? Yeah ok that makes a ton of sense, just like it did in Iraq.
theballer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:48 AM   #125
theballer84
grinder
 
theballer84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 686
Re: America Going to War with Syria!

Moderate rebels is an oxymoron.

Yes, the U.S. is funding and arming al-Q and ISIS because it destabilizes the established regimes because as I've said WE need to control the land and resources for military strategic purposes.
theballer84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online