Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy

Notices

STT Strategy Discussion about the play of single table tournaments.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 04:07 PM   #331
veteran
 
BHokie1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Where the skys are so blue
Posts: 3,184
Re: STTF SNG -> Cash Thread #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Lie View Post
lol! so I guess I am too passive sometimes
Depends on the villain - I have run into a few rocks that might take that line with a set, but otherwise I'm getting as much money in the pot as possible vs 99% of players.
BHokie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:54 PM   #332
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 69.20.56.132
Posts: 19,800
Re: STTF SNG -> Cash Thread #2

blacksize and cake - yeah shoving might be best, but the fact the he can call with worse is not enough by itself. He can also call with better. The question is, when he does call, are you winning more often than losing.

That depends on what hands he'll lead the turn and call a raise with and then lead the river again.
microbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:03 PM   #333
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DevinLake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 16,961
Re: STTF SNG -> Cash Thread #2

Thankfully OP didn't give reads because multitabling live games they are hard to pick up. So, in a vacuum, for 100bb against bad players, I'm shoving with top two and fist pumping when I get instacalled because non sets >>>>> sets.
DevinLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:34 PM   #334
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Jbrochu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,965
NL100: To Squeeze or Not to Squeeze

Poker Stars $0.50/$1.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

BB: $109.50
UTG: $95.30
Hero (MP): $104.10
CO: $135.60
BTN: $78.75
SB: $69.40

Pre Flop: Hero is MP with A Q
1 fold, Hero raises to $4, CO raises to $12, 1 fold, SB calls $11.50, 1 fold, Hero thinks about squeezing

CO stats are something like 27/24/4 and the SB is unknown.

I have a very good read on CO that he is looking for situations like this to raise with position and I suspect he knows I'm opening fairly wide. I also believe he can fold.

My only read on the SB is he's played a lot of pots since sitting down, mostly limping and limp/calling. (Maybe 80% of his hands over ~ 15 hands.) He hasn't been in a 3-bet situation prior to this hand.

Does this look like a good spot to squeeze?
Jbrochu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:50 PM   #335
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 69.20.56.132
Posts: 19,800
Re: STTF SNG -> Cash Thread #2

Sounds like you can clearly make a small 4 bet and fold if CO felts it. He shouldn't do this lightly here.

If you think you are ahead of SB's calling and pushing ranges then it does sound good and you may well be. 80% is a lot of hands and he's short. He could go crazy with a lot of hands that you are ahead of.

Anyway, it's interesting that you can basically be bluffing the one guy and value betting the other.
microbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #336
ARTist
 
cha59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: I like meat.
Posts: 20,440
Re: STTF SNG -> Cash Thread #2

No significant reads yet.

Full Tilt Poker $0.50/$1.00 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

BTN: $97.25
SB: $186.70
BB: $61.55
UTG: $128.95
Hero (CO): $98.50

Pre Flop: Hero is CO with Q Q
1 fold, Hero raises to $3.50, 2 folds, BB calls $2.50

Flop: ($7.50) 8 4 9 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $5, BB calls $5

Turn: ($17.50) 3 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $10, BB snap raises to $53.05 all in, Hero tanks....?
cha59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:26 AM   #337
veteran
 
Diamond Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,775
Re: STTF SNG -> Cash Thread #2

Fold faster?

I hate folding to weird lines like this, but what could he have that you beat here besides him going crazy with a naked FD? (unless you have any significant reads that say he is capable of bluffing on this type of board).

Last edited by Diamond Lie; 01-02-2008 at 01:37 AM.
Diamond Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #338
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 24,357
Re: STTF SNG -> Cash Thread #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinLake View Post
45 hand, I agree he wouldn't c/c the turn with the intent of bluffing the river. But, does that mean he can't c/c the turn and then bluff the river? What I'm saying is the majority of players don't think about what's going to happen on the next street. They do not play with a plan. This guy is definitely a guy that doesn't plan his hands.
My point isn't that he would have needed to plan the bluff, it's that he played inconsistently. If it were in his nature to bluff, he would have done so on one of the two opportunities he had on the turn. Obviously there will be exceptions, but it does sharply decrease the odds that he's bluffing. If you asked me to guess, I'd say he had either a nine or A4, 64, 42, 43.

Quote:
This is one of my pet peeves with 2p2. I often won't post a hand that I didn't play standard, because I usually know what the standard line is and don't need 10 others to tell me that, while ignoring the interesting/difficult part of the hand.
In that case, you should say in your OP that you realise that the standard line is bet/fold turn, but you wonder if there's a better way to play.

jbrochu:

Wait, so villain showed up with KJ and you're wondering if there's any value in betting?

Diamond Lie:

$20 looks like a really weak flop bet, the pot is like $48 right? I'd bet like 30 or 35. I realise it's a low draw board but I don't really want two opps calling for $20. As played river is easy, easy shove. You're probably looking at worse two pair. As Devin said, I am not just shoving but fistpumping if he instacalls because I still think I'm good.

jbrochu again:

This could go either way. If you were CO and CO was button I would definitely reraise. As it is I might fold because SB is so unpredictable and might show up with AK or stack off with a random pair (which decreases profits sharply compared to all fold). I would be fine with either decision though.

cha59:

Fold. Versus an unknown bet turn is good, but check is better vs some players. The free card isn't as bad as it looks because you pick up bluffs from drawing hands or check calls from made hands on blank rivers. Versus a lot of players you have almost nonexistent value on the turn, which is always a good reason to consider another course of action.
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #339
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Eagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saving the season
Posts: 13,022
Re: STTF SNG -> Cash Thread #2

Devin,
In that KQ hand I like flop and turn now just check river again. I probably check and call people will make dumb bluffs here more than you think.
In that 54 hand snap call river. People will have missed draws so often. He has a better pair w/e... I can't imagine folding that river. If ytou were deeper I prob shove but I don't like it given stacks.
Cha,
Depends on reads but fold is prob fine against most, turn bet is good for sure IMO.
Jbrochu,
TT hand shove river 100% you have a set.
In the AQ hand meh call or fold. Unless you have a good read I generally give cold calls a lot of credit.
Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #340
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Beijing
Posts: 4,373
Re: STTF SNG -> Cash Thread #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge714 View Post
Jmill,
That turn raise is really gross.
Why is the turn raise really gross?
hoyasnaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #341
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Jbrochu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,965
Re: STTF SNG -> Cash Thread #2

Quote:
jbrochu:

Wait, so villain showed up with KJ and you're wondering if there's any value in betting?

I was wondering if anybody can call with worse on that board after the river. Just because he called with a hand that beats me doesn't mean he would have called with worse. I wasn't really questioning my bets on the flop and turn.

(Unless maybe I'm misunderstanding your point Chris?)
Jbrochu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #342
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DevinLake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 16,961
Re: STTF SNG -> Cash Thread #2

My hands...

KQs hand, I snap called and villain showed 86s.

45o hand I didn't snap call. But, I didn't think that long either. I just couldn't see what had he could check flop, c/c turn that he'd donk that river with. So, board being so drawy I called. Villain showed Q6dd.
DevinLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:52 AM   #343
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 24,357
Re: STTF SNG -> Cash Thread #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrochu View Post
I was wondering if anybody can call with worse on that board after the river. Just because he called with a hand that beats me doesn't mean he would have called with worse. I wasn't really questioning my bets on the flop and turn.

(Unless maybe I'm misunderstanding your point Chris?)
My point is that he called the flop with KJo, which unless he has the Kh is an extremely loose call. If he had the Kh I retract. But in any case stuff like AT is definitely going to be in his range.
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #344
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,406
Re: NL100: To Squeeze or Not to Squeeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrochu View Post
Poker Stars $0.50/$1.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

BB: $109.50
UTG: $95.30
Hero (MP): $104.10
CO: $135.60
BTN: $78.75
SB: $69.40

Pre Flop: Hero is MP with A Q
1 fold, Hero raises to $4, CO raises to $12, 1 fold, SB calls $11.50, 1 fold, Hero thinks about squeezing

CO stats are something like 27/24/4 and the SB is unknown.

I have a very good read on CO that he is looking for situations like this to raise with position and I suspect he knows I'm opening fairly wide. I also believe he can fold.

My only read on the SB is he's played a lot of pots since sitting down, mostly limping and limp/calling. (Maybe 80% of his hands over ~ 15 hands.) He hasn't been in a 3-bet situation prior to this hand.

Does this look like a good spot to squeeze?
I wouldn't squeeze here even with your reads even though it may be tempting. Against one of their range you may be flipping but against both I'd say you are behind at least one. SB's action (regardless of his donkishness, screams QQ+). I wouldn't worry so much about CO - looks like that walrus guy who 3 bets every other hand.
GtrHtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:41 PM   #345
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Jbrochu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,965
NL100: Weird Line by Villain

I see this line once in a while and it's always a donk running it but I'm never sure how to respond. Villain is 32/0/0.5 but only 35 hands.


Poker Stars $0.50/$1.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

UTG: $100.00
Hero (MP): $146.35
CO: $120.95
BTN: $137.70
SB: $175.50
BB: $72.15

Pre Flop: Hero is MP with Q A
1 fold, Hero raises to $4, 3 folds, BB calls $3

Flop: ($8.50) 5 3 K (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $6, BB calls $6

Turn: ($20.50) 9 (2 players)
BB bets $12, Hero doesn't buy it but what the hell can he do...?
Jbrochu is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive