Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Books and Publications Discussion and reviews of books, videos, and magazines. Sponsored by TwoPlusTwoStore.com.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #51
Donkey111
grinder
 
Donkey111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 636
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Currently 41 books, 19 read. Basically, I have read almost all the books about No limit hold'em and almost none about everything else.

I try to buy and keep "must-read" books so I have actually read more than 19 and, at some point, owned more than 41 but I didn't like some of them and they ended up on ebay or at the charity shop.

I understand some of the comments about "why so many books". A good book is easily worth the time and money you invest in it. However, I wish I had spent more time playing poker instead of reading the mediocre ones. I doubt my collection will grow a lot more as I notice a quick diminishing return for every new book I read these days.
Donkey111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #52
avatar77
adept
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,030
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonso View Post
Most of those spines look pristine too. What percentage were read?
I have probably read about half of them - mainly the No Limit books, the theory/general thinking books (i.e. poker psychology books like Ace on the River, Theory of Poker, etc..), Omaha books and the tournament books. I have purchased many books on Limit but recently stopped because I very rarely play limit now.

The non Two Plus Two books generally have spines that don't crack/crease during reading so the spines would still look very good even when read. The Two Plus Two books have spines that crack/crease quite noticeably (notice how creased my HOH and Ed Miller books are).

Personally, despite what Mason has said in the past about the superior paper quality, the glue binding, etc.. of the Two Plus Two books, I still prefer the standard format of paperback because it is much easier to open and read, highlight, etc... The Two Plus Two spines are very hard and thick and quite inconvenient to spread open flat if you are either reading on a table or holding the book (what I generally do).

Mason has even acknowledge the most people don't read a book more than once (most actually don't even get read) and if a book is really good, very few people would read a good poker book more than a few times so why bother with all this expensive paper and glue? The standard formats are best

The Two Plus Two books would also have pages that fall out over time because of the way it was bound. This problem seemed to be corrected with the more recent bounding process but I still find them too stiff.

Last edited by avatar77; 07-21-2012 at 11:21 AM.
avatar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #53
avatar77
adept
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,030
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc T River View Post
Don't mean to make your fingers fall off, but can you run down those 30 to 40 books?

Thanks for the photos as it does confirm my suspicion that I've got a box of books somewhere.
Doc, that would be quite a process. Just quickly off my head, here is my list of favorites. Most of these books probably aren't surprises to most of you and some may be:

Most of the Two Plus Two books especially
- the Harrington series (both the tournament and cash series)
- Theory of Poker
- No Limit Hold'em Theory and Practice
- Professional No Limit Hold'em
- I also enjoyed reading the poker theory/essay books like the Poker Essay books, Gambling Theory, etc..

Non Two Plus Two books
- Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand At A Time (vol 1 and 2)
- Dominate No Limit Holdem (despite the grammar issues, etc..)
- all the Jeff Hwang books (probably the best for Omaha)
- anything by Bob Ciaffone - Improve Your Poker, No Limit and Pot Limit Poker
- Rolf Slotboom's books
- Phil Gordon's books: Green, Blue and Gold
- anything by Roy Cooke like Play of Hands, How To Think Like A Poker Pro, How To Play Like A Poker Pro
- Power Hold'em
- SuperSystem (1 and 2)
- Caro's book of Tells (the Navarro book is probably the most overrated book in my opinion)
- No Limits
- Strategy of No Limit Hold'em
- Internet Texas Hold'em by Matthew Hilger
- Annie Duke's Decide to Play Great Poker
- Every Hand Revealed by Gus Hanson
avatar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #54
mkenyahalisi
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: kenya
Posts: 59
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar77 View Post
- Caro's book of Tells (the Navarro book is probably the most overrated book in my opinion)
Having read both I've been able to extract more value from Navarro's book than from Caro's (And i had read Caro's multiple times before). I guess its because of my psychology background, I was able to understand Navarro's 'behavioral science' approach better than Caro's 'player research' approach.
mkenyahalisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #55
avatar77
adept
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,030
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkenyahalisi View Post
Having read both I've been able to extract more value from Navarro's book than from Caro's (And i had read Caro's multiple times before). I guess its because of my psychology background, I was able to understand Navarro's 'behavioral science' approach better than Caro's 'player research' approach.
Navarro's book is good and he is very knowledgeable - but I think it is more relevant for general reads for every day life (i.e. if you want to know if your girlfriend or boss is lying). I just didn't find it as relevant for poker.

The best book on Tells in my opinion is Zachary Elwood's new book.
avatar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:15 AM   #56
6471849653
old hand
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: EU
Posts: 1,578
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Some 30 on limit holdem - it took that much and more to get it right years ago as it was just drops and drops. Only some 10 of nlh as I didn't find any of them of any use in imporving my game. Some 5 of PLO, that I found of some use, though I never took anything seriously, just getting a few ideas, the rest again being like with nlh, figuring it out myself by adjusting to players and looking what they do right and wrong.
6471849653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:39 AM   #57
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 9,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar77 View Post
I have probably read about half of them - mainly the No Limit books, the theory/general thinking books (i.e. poker psychology books like Ace on the River, Theory of Poker, etc..), Omaha books and the tournament books. I have purchased many books on Limit but recently stopped because I very rarely play limit now.

The non Two Plus Two books generally have spines that don't crack/crease during reading so the spines would still look very good even when read. The Two Plus Two books have spines that crack/crease quite noticeably (notice how creased my HOH and Ed Miller books are).

Personally, despite what Mason has said in the past about the superior paper quality, the glue binding, etc.. of the Two Plus Two books, I still prefer the standard format of paperback because it is much easier to open and read, highlight, etc... The Two Plus Two spines are very hard and thick and quite inconvenient to spread open flat if you are either reading on a table or holding the book (what I generally do).

Mason has even acknowledge the most people don't read a book more than once (most actually don't even get read) and if a book is really good, very few people would read a good poker book more than a few times so why bother with all this expensive paper and glue? The standard formats are best

The Two Plus Two books would also have pages that fall out over time because of the way it was bound. This problem seemed to be corrected with the more recent bounding process but I still find them too stiff.
A few years ago we went to different paper which helps to solve these problems.

The problem with the pages falling out was corrected about 15 years ago. So if you're still seeing that, and it's been years since anyone has mentioned it to my knowledge, you must have a book or two from an old printing.

And as for doing books cheaper and going with a more standard format, it's inconsistent with our business model. But we also must be doing something right since a number of our competitors over the years have improved their quality to be more similar to ours.

MM
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:39 AM   #58
RajHendon
grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 412
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem3 View Post
I have 8 poker books, and I need to buy 2 more(i still do not feel like I know the game enough) does this happened to you? and also, is there site to get poker books cheap or free?
I've got over 100 books
RajHendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:42 AM   #59
slowjoe
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London, England
Posts: 517
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkenyahalisi View Post
Having read both I've been able to extract more value from Navarro's book than from Caro's (And i had read Caro's multiple times before). I guess its because of my psychology background, I was able to understand Navarro's 'behavioral science' approach better than Caro's 'player research' approach.
It might be an artefact of how recently I read it, but I spot tells in HSP from Navarro and not Caro.
slowjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #60
philnewall
veteran
 
philnewall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: @pnewall
Posts: 2,223
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar77 View Post
The best book on Tells in my opinion is Zachary Elwood's new book.
+1
philnewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #61
dgiharris
All Hail His Modness
 
dgiharris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CA and Vegas
Posts: 12,298
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar77
The best book on Tells in my opinion is Zachary Elwood's new book.
This is something I'm missing.

I have about 10 poker books, mostly on strategy and 2 on mindset...

but I don't have one on "tells" and have been meaning to get Caro's book. I'll look at this one as well.
dgiharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #62
avatar77
adept
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,030
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
A few years ago we went to different paper which helps to solve these problems.

The problem with the pages falling out was corrected about 15 years ago. So if you're still seeing that, and it's been years since anyone has mentioned it to my knowledge, you must have a book or two from an old printing.

And as for doing books cheaper and going with a more standard format, it's inconsistent with our business model. But we also must be doing something right since a number of our competitors over the years have improved their quality to be more similar to ours.

MM
Yes, I had some old prints of poker essays and Gambling Theory but also have had some pages falling from one of my Harrington books.

I respect your business model and your decision to print your books in whatever format you choose. However, we purchase your books for content which has been the main reason why you have been successful. I have yet to hear from anyone about how they really like the format and binding of your books. It is just not convenient to read/open up because of the stiffness.
avatar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #63
GoingBroke777
old hand
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,908
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

have not bought any so far.....
GoingBroke777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #64
Doc T River
Master of the Edit Line
 
Doc T River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Christian Player NEVER at Venetian
Posts: 12,006
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
A few years ago we went to different paper which helps to solve these problems.

The problem with the pages falling out was corrected about 15 years ago. So if you're still seeing that, and it's been years since anyone has mentioned it to my knowledge, you must have a book or two from an old printing.

And as for doing books cheaper and going with a more standard format, it's inconsistent with our business model. But we also must be doing something right since a number of our competitors over the years have improved their quality to be more similar to ours.

MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar77 View Post
Yes, I had some old prints of poker essays and Gambling Theory but also have had some pages falling from one of my Harrington books.

I respect your business model and your decision to print your books in whatever format you choose. However, we purchase your books for content which has been the main reason why you have been successful. I have yet to hear from anyone about how they really like the format and binding of your books. It is just not convenient to read/open up because of the stiffness.
Could be very smart on Mason's part as although people might not buy his books for the format, they could end up buying additional copies because of it.
Doc T River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:09 AM   #65
bluem3
journeyman
 
bluem3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bios
Posts: 371
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar77 View Post
Yes, I have spent a bundle on my poker book collection. I must say, however, that the money I have won from poker as a result of the knowledge from these books have more than paid for itself. There have been many many great decisions I have made on the table with respect to folds, value bets, bluffs, etc... that have either saved me money or allowed me to win major pots as a result of the thinking process that I evolved from some great books. I would probably say that there are maybe around 30 to 40 books in my collection that would say are must reads for serious poker players.

With regards to comments from my friends/family, I used to get it a lot but now, they just accept it. Bear in mind, that I just showed you my poker collection, I have many many more books on other subjects such as biographies, personal growth, business, fitness, and anything else I can get my hands on (I read almost exclusively non-fiction). It is just my inquisitive and curious nature to learn.
you are an impressive person, no wonder your hard work payed off. in the future I wish to have a wide collection like yours in every subject.

I agree with your point of view on 2p2 books, even though I don't have as many books as you to make a precise decision like you, however they are very thick and hard to stay on the page without being rough to the book, but I do annotate etc no pages has fallen off yet.
bluem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #66
Doc T River
Master of the Edit Line
 
Doc T River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Christian Player NEVER at Venetian
Posts: 12,006
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar77 View Post
Yes, I have spent a bundle on my poker book collection. I must say, however, that the money I have won from poker as a result of the knowledge from these books have more than paid for itself. There have been many many great decisions I have made on the table with respect to folds, value bets, bluffs, etc... that have either saved me money or allowed me to win major pots as a result of the thinking process that I evolved from some great books. I would probably say that there are maybe around 30 to 40 books in my collection that would say are must reads for serious poker players.

With regards to comments from my friends/family, I used to get it a lot but now, they just accept it. Bear in mind, that I just showed you my poker collection, I have many many more books on other subjects such as biographies, personal growth, business, fitness, and anything else I can get my hands on (I read almost exclusively non-fiction). It is just my inquisitive and curious nature to learn.
They have books on subjects other than poker?
Doc T River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #67
avatar77
adept
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,030
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem3 View Post
you are an impressive person, no wonder your hard work payed off. in the future I wish to have a wide collection like yours in every subject.

I agree with your point of view on 2p2 books, even though I don't have as many books as you to make a precise decision like you, however they are very thick and hard to stay on the page without being rough to the book, but I do annotate etc no pages has fallen off yet.
Hi bluem3,

Thank you for your kind words. For the same reason stated, I generally don't buy hardcover books either. They are more expensive and higher quality but just too cumbersome to read.

By the way, if you ever want recommendations on non-fiction books on business, social psychology, personal growth, etc... , just pm me or ask me on this board.
avatar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #68
the_spike
old hand
 
the_spike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,345
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowjoe View Post
Very nice selection of books.
the_spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #69
bluem3
journeyman
 
bluem3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bios
Posts: 371
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar77 View Post
Hi bluem3,

Thank you for your kind words. For the same reason stated, I generally don't buy hardcover books either. They are more expensive and higher quality but just too cumbersome to read.

By the way, if you ever want recommendations on non-fiction books on business, social psychology, personal growth, etc... , just pm me or ask me on this board.
What are your fav books on business? and also, if you read the GodFather do you know any other goods books similar like to it?
I think you might know the answer for my question, I was checking books on amazon there was this book which cost $50's, after a couple of years it was published now the book is being sold for $220+ up to $500's what would make the price go up drastically in books??
bluem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #70
Doc T River
Master of the Edit Line
 
Doc T River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Christian Player NEVER at Venetian
Posts: 12,006
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem3 View Post
What are your fav books on business? and also, if you read the GodFather do you know any other goods books similar like to it?
I think you might know the answer for my question, I was checking books on amazon there was this book which cost $50's, after a couple of years it was published now the book is being sold for $220+ up to $500's what would make the price go up drastically in books??
I'm not Avatar, but I'll take a stab at a couple of the questions.

By The Godfather, do you mean by Puzo or by Bruson. If the first, Last Don by Puzo. If the second, I'm guessing Dave "Devilfish" Ulliot's book would be similar. I say guessing because I haven't read it yet.

Regarding price of books, I'd say supply and demand. If the supply isn't there but the demand is, then the book will increase in price. Same as most anything.
Doc T River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #71
avatar77
adept
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,030
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem3 View Post
What are your fav books on business? and also, if you read the GodFather do you know any other goods books similar like to it?
I think you might know the answer for my question, I was checking books on amazon there was this book which cost $50's, after a couple of years it was published now the book is being sold for $220+ up to $500's what would make the price go up drastically in books??
The only Godfather book I am familiar with is the one by Mario Puzo. I did actually read it many many years ago and did enjoy it. However, I read mainly non-fiction now so wouldn't have a recommendation on a book similar to it.

Doc is right - it is just supply and demand. Mainstream books now are so cheap now because of online discounters but the ones that do go up are generally the ones out of print and still in demand. Just simple economics.

As for business books, it depends on what aspect of business: entrepreneurship? management? business thought? There are a few classics that everyone should read like Good to Great, Think and Grow Rich, E-Myth, Blue Ocean Strategy
avatar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #72
ozziwar
grinder
 
ozziwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 691
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Two books so far, only read one of them tho
ozziwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #73
Chef BoyarPwn
newbie
 
Chef BoyarPwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 16
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

Super System 2 ...duh
Winning Tournys 1 hand at a time
Making The Final Table - Eric Lindgren
Book of Tells - Mike Carro
Some ****ty book by Daniel I gave to a girl a long time ago
Check Raising The Devil - Matusow
Ace on the River
Some book by Hellmuth I threw away cause it had to of been a huge level
Zen Poker ...lol

I think I'm leaving a couple out but around that point I got on pokerxfactor and forgot about books
Chef BoyarPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #74
bluem3
journeyman
 
bluem3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bios
Posts: 371
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

It was by Mario Puzo. Thanks, for both of the answers, maybe you can give me your top 3 in non-fiction?I will take a shot at Good to Great by Jim Collins it sounds intresting.
bluem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:09 AM   #75
TradeOC
Pooh-Bah
 
TradeOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Robby Anderson!
Posts: 3,815
Re: How many poker books have you bought so far?

I remember I bought like 3 books about 3-4 years ago from boarders they were expensice....your better of buying them used if possible for half the price or maybe there is a ebook online? Ive got both Super Systems and Hellmuths book
TradeOC is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online