Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Books and Publications Discussion and reviews of books, videos, and magazines. Sponsored by TwoPlusTwoStore.com.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #101
Huskalator
grinder
 
Huskalator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 508
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Kindle version soon?
Huskalator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #102
Stellamoose
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: On the edge of defeat...
Posts: 514
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskalator View Post
Kindle version soon?
+1 eagerly awaiting Kindle version.
Stellamoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:01 PM   #103
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 9,944
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellamoose View Post
+1 eagerly awaiting Kindle version.
Hi moose:

Here's the problem we're currently having. We send a PDF to a kindle conversion company that we work with and they send us back the kindle file for our review along with a previewer. However, this kindle file has to work well on five different kinds of kindles and so far, even though they have sent us the conversion file several times, the card pictures we use in our books is showing up as blank spaces on two of the kindle previews that we can see. But when we tell this to the conversion company they say that everything appears to be fine on their end. So the hangup is that they're trying to correct the issue without knowing exactly what it is.

Hopefully this will all be fixed in a day or two and then we'll get it into Amazon. But if the conversion company that we work with can't solve the problem we'll have to go to a different company and that would cause more delays which we obviously don't want.

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:34 AM   #104
the_spike
old hand
 
the_spike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,375
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by *TT* View Post
You may gain inner peace while meditating, but from my experience that inner peace will not translate to better results in game, keep in mind your not meditating while playing and inner peace does not directly translate the assuring an optimal decision process taken in-game.
Wow, you have a complete misunderstanding of meditation. Meditation isn't about "inner peace", it's about paying attention. If you don't think paying attention is important in poker, well then.... I guess I don't know what to say.

More accurately, meditation isn't exactly paying attention, it's practicing paying attention. It's like studying poker so you'll play better in a real game. You practice paying attention so you can pay attention better in a real game. Meditation is referred to as "practice" for a reasion.
the_spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:00 AM   #105
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 9,944
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_spike View Post
Wow, you have a complete misunderstanding of meditation. Meditation isn't about "inner peace", it's about paying attention. If you don't think paying attention is important in poker, well then.... I guess I don't know what to say.

More accurately, meditation isn't exactly paying attention, it's practicing paying attention. It's like studying poker so you'll play better in a real game. You practice paying attention so you can pay attention better in a real game. Meditation is referred to as "practice" for a reasion.
Why is meditation important? Obviously when playing poker you need to pay attention, but it's not like an athletic sport. In fact, those players who are emphasizing GTO strategies only need to pay attention at the lowest level.

MM
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:26 AM   #106
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 9,944
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellamoose View Post
+1 eagerly awaiting Kindle version.
Hi Stella and everyone else who has been asking about the kindle version:

We approved the appropriate files today and all the stuff that Amazon needs has now been sent. So Amazon should have the kindle version up in a day or two.

Yes it's about time and our apologies for it taking far longer than we expected.

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:14 AM   #107
ChicagoJoey
Papi
 
ChicagoJoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: I AM GTO
Posts: 14,371
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Might be time to go with a more GTO conversion company in the future
ChicagoJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #108
Stellamoose
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: On the edge of defeat...
Posts: 514
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
Hi Stella and everyone else who has been asking about the kindle version:

We approved the appropriate files today and all the stuff that Amazon needs has now been sent. So Amazon should have the kindle version up in a day or two.

Yes it's about time and our apologies for it taking far longer than we expected.

Best wishes,
Mason
Thank you for the update Mason.
Stellamoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #109
Stellamoose
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: On the edge of defeat...
Posts: 514
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellamoose View Post
Thank you for the update Mason.
UPDATE: The book has shown up in the Kindle store as of about 8:25am EST this morning.
Stellamoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:17 PM   #110
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 9,944
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellamoose View Post
UPDATE: The book has shown up in the Kindle store as of about 8:25am EST this morning.
And here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Poker-Psy...ker+psychology

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:17 AM   #111
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 9,944
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoey View Post
Might be time to go with a more GTO conversion company in the future
Hi Joey:

It sure seems that way. In the past, we always got the kindle up in just a few days after the paperback was published. But this time, when we looked at the kindle file in the kindle viewer, the card pictures and other images were coming up blank for one of the kindle formats, and it just took the company we work with a number of tries to get it fixed.

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #112
2pearAAKK
stranger
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 8
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

I've been reading The psychology of poker by Alan Schoonmaker and was wondering if it's outdated for today's game and online game?
2pearAAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #113
Howard Beale
Formerly red
 
Howard Beale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Doing what my dog wants
Posts: 19,392
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Having gotten to page 55, a suggestion: FIRE THE PROOF-READER!
Howard Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:51 AM   #114
DaycareInferno
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DaycareInferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,280
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
Why is meditation important? Obviously when playing poker you need to pay attention, but it's not like an athletic sport. In fact, those players who are emphasizing GTO strategies only need to pay attention at the lowest level.

MM
I really don't know if meditating regularly would make much difference in someone's play, but the idea that players using GTOish strategies can just zombiebot is silly.

Exploitative strategies are always in play for anyone that doesn't hate money, and there are very few players that even have anything close to a complete balanced strategy worked out in any variant.
DaycareInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:03 PM   #115
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 9,944
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaycareInferno View Post
I really don't know if meditating regularly would make much difference in someone's play, but the idea that players using GTOish strategies can just zombiebot is silly.
Hi DaycareInferno:

This is not what I said. You still need to pay attention.

Quote:
Exploitative strategies are always in play for anyone that doesn't hate money, and there are very few players that even have anything close to a complete balanced strategy worked out in any variant.
While I agree with this statement for most cases, Applications of No-Limit Hold 'em by Matthew Janda is a book that does produce a much more complete Game Theory strategy. Also, players who are multi-tabling a large number of tables are not going to be able to do much from an exploitative stand point.

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #116
Howard Beale
Formerly red
 
Howard Beale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Doing what my dog wants
Posts: 19,392
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

My quick review:

Let's get one thing out of the way first: I'm not a psychologist and neither is Mason, as he repeatedly acknowledges. I've been playing casino poker since it came to AC in the early 90's, Mason much longer. These days I play 8-16 LHE and some 6-12 0E at Talking Stick (Scottsdale), Mason keeps referring to his playing 20-40 LHE. Does it matter that neither of us is a high stakes crusher? The answer, as far as poker 'psychology' goes is no.

So let me get to it: Is Real Poker Psychology worth the money and time to read it? The answer is yes and it will help, in some way at least, everybody except the truly expert players who already know what's in the book.

Is Mason's premise, that tilt is caused by the brain 'locking up' due to an inability to be able to process information correctly correct? In my opinion, probably partially, and the extent to which 'probably partially' is a legitimate interpretation is open to debate but at least he has a couple of academic papers to back him up. But does it matter whether or not 'probably partially' is true? Absolutely not, imo, since the cure 'Understand poker and the probabilistic events that govern it better (page 13)' is certainly correct. Let me add that I would have gone further even though what I'm about to point out is implied in that concept and should grow naturally from it and would have said outright (since some people need things pounded into them) that 'Players need to learn to accept and love all things poker.'

I had prepared to make a very long post but have decided against it mostly bec Mason's entitled to get paid for his work which might not happen if I talk about half of the book so I'm going to limit myself to a few things:

I can't remember the last time I got seriously tilted and have reached the stage where I can laugh at some of the beats I've taken and Mason's right in that if you understand the game well enough players should be able to chuckle at what's happened as I often do.

Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, would benefit greatly if they either memorized or read the second paragraph on page 36 which addresses 'Them fluctuations' before every, single session.

Mason discusses a few ideas from somebody named John Feeny, Ph D, whom I don't know. His remarks under 'Idea No. 2' on page 209 (something I learned for myself years ago) is worth the price of the book all by itself. That single idea has been a tremendous benefit to me, I can say that much.

And, finally, Concept No. 46 (Mason's rebuttal remarks regarding the work of someone else I don't know, Dr. Patricia Cardner) made me laugh out loud, it's so true.

I'll end w/ this: Much of the book will be familiar to anyone who's read the Malmuth/Sklansky library of poker books but it's not a waste of time. Everybody can use a refresher once in a while.
Howard Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #117
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 9,944
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
My quick review:

Let's get one thing out of the way first: I'm not a psychologist and neither is Mason, as he repeatedly acknowledges. I've been playing casino poker since it came to AC in the early 90's, Mason much longer. These days I play 8-16 LHE and some 6-12 0E at Talking Stick (Scottsdale), Mason keeps referring to his playing 20-40 LHE. Does it matter that neither of us is a high stakes crusher? The answer, as far as poker 'psychology' goes is no.

So let me get to it: Is Real Poker Psychology worth the money and time to read it? The answer is yes and it will help, in some way at least, everybody except the truly expert players who already know what's in the book.

Is Mason's premise, that tilt is caused by the brain 'locking up' due to an inability to be able to process information correctly correct? In my opinion, probably partially, and the extent to which 'probably partially' is a legitimate interpretation is open to debate but at least he has a couple of academic papers to back him up. But does it matter whether or not 'probably partially' is true? Absolutely not, imo, since the cure 'Understand poker and the probabilistic events that govern it better (page 13)' is certainly correct. Let me add that I would have gone further even though what I'm about to point out is implied in that concept and should grow naturally from it and would have said outright (since some people need things pounded into them) that 'Players need to learn to accept and love all things poker.'

I had prepared to make a very long post but have decided against it mostly bec Mason's entitled to get paid for his work which might not happen if I talk about half of the book so I'm going to limit myself to a few things:

I can't remember the last time I got seriously tilted and have reached the stage where I can laugh at some of the beats I've taken and Mason's right in that if you understand the game well enough players should be able to chuckle at what's happened as I often do.

Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, would benefit greatly if they either memorized or read the second paragraph on page 36 which addresses 'Them fluctuations' before every, single session.

Mason discusses a few ideas from somebody named John Feeny, Ph D, whom I don't know. His remarks under 'Idea No. 2' on page 209 (something I learned for myself years ago) is worth the price of the book all by itself. That single idea has been a tremendous benefit to me, I can say that much.

And, finally, Concept No. 46 (Mason's rebuttal remarks regarding the work of someone else I don't know, Dr. Patricia Cardner) made me laugh out loud, it's so true.

I'll end w/ this: Much of the book will be familiar to anyone who's read the Malmuth/Sklansky library of poker books but it's not a waste of time. Everybody can use a refresher once in a while.
Hi Howard:

First, thanks for the positive review. It's much appreciated.

Second, if you would like to write a much longer review, feel free to do so. I also feel that's it's important to get some of the ideas that the book contains out to more in the poker community. This is especially so since much of what has become recently available under the heading of "Poker Psychology" or "Mental Coaching" is, in my opinion, extremely inaccurate.

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:00 PM   #118
Howard Beale
Formerly red
 
Howard Beale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Doing what my dog wants
Posts: 19,392
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
Hi Howard:

First, thanks for the positive review. It's much appreciated.

Second, if you would like to write a much longer review, feel free to do so. I also feel that's it's important to get some of the ideas that the book contains out to more in the poker community. This is especially so since much of what has become recently available under the heading of "Poker Psychology" or "Mental Coaching" is, in my opinion, extremely inaccurate.

Best wishes,
Mason
You're welcome, Mason, but I think that I'll leave it as it is (I marked at least a dozen pages to address) and will answer questions if I think that I can be helpful. Many people who read it are going to wonder a lot about some of what you write but to the careful reader it should be clear. For example you say that being tired shouldn't matter much and I can just see the expressions on the faces of the reader who strongly disagrees and they may not notice that you soften that later on by acknowledging that there's such a thing as 'too tired.' Many will pass over that and not get the point.

I know that you don't think much of the current crop of poker psychology books and I don't find them very helpful myself. I've got Tendler's book (which you think is good, iirc) sitting half read on my shelf. I've read Tommy Angelo's Elements of Poker bec it was so highly touted and liked much of it except for the small bits of strat talk (I love you Tommy but, damn, you are a nit).

Let people read your book and come here to talk about it if they want to but I'll advise them again: If you think 'wtf?' at any point, read on. Read on w/ what it would mean if you took 'Understand poker better' and applied it to what you might reject out of hand.

ETA: I'll add a couple of further thoughts: Much of what I HAVE read in the poker psych books, and in the psych forum on here bring up anger issues and entitlement issues. Some people will never get over their anger issues bec they bring them w/ them wherever they go. If it only happens at the tables then they don't understand poker and they certainly don't love it. They are getting angry at facts, a silly thing. How can anybody get angry about a fact? If a person can't understand that something happens bec it's SUPPOSED and even MUST happen there is little help for them except your basic cure. The same goes for entitlement issues as if some player thinks he's so damn good that he should never lose, esp to the fish. And how I hate that term, 'fish.' So many of the 'fish' are extremely wealthy and they can play poker as stupidly as they want bec the money is like lint in their pockets. Yet so many players think of them a suckers (btw, the page on Sucker Privileges was very funny and I'm going to shamelessly steal that line). And here's an example: Years ago there was an absolutely terrible player in an 08 game that I sometimes played. He was one of the worst I've ever seen. Then one day somebody told me that 'He owns half of Chicago.' lololol, there's a 'sucker for you.'

I could go on but by the time I'm finished I'll have written my own book.

Last edited by Howard Beale; 02-29-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Howard Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:09 PM   #119
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 9,944
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
You're welcome, Mason, but I think that I'll leave it as it is (I marked at least a dozen pages to address) and will answer questions if I think that I can be helpful. Many people who read it are going to wonder a lot about some of what you write but to the careful reader it should be clear. For example you say that being tired shouldn't matter much and I can just see the expressions on the faces of the reader who strongly disagrees and they may not notice that you soften that later on by acknowledging that there's such a thing as 'too tired.' Many will pass over that and not get the point.

I know that you don't think much of the current crop of poker psychology books and I don't find them very helpful myself. I've got Tendler's book (which you think is good, iirc) sitting half read on my shelf. I've read Tommy Angelo's Elements of Poker bec it was so highly touted and liked much of it except for the small bits of strat talk (I love you Tommy but, damn, you are a nit).

Let people read your book and come here to talk about it if they want to but I'll advise them again: If you think 'wtf?' at any point, read on. Read on w/ what it would mean if you took 'Understand poker better' and applied it to what you might reject out of hand.
Hi Howard:

One quick point. I've been going back through Tendler's book at a very detailed level and while I still feel it's much better than Cardner/Little, my recommendation of it is now withdrawn.

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:06 PM   #120
Howard Beale
Formerly red
 
Howard Beale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Doing what my dog wants
Posts: 19,392
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
Hi Howard:

One quick point. I've been going back through Tendler's book at a very detailed level and while I still feel it's much better than Cardner/Little, my recommendation of it is now withdrawn.

Best wishes,
Mason
That's a relief! I thought that I ought to finish it (actually would've had to start from the beginning) and now I can put it into the bookcase instead.
Howard Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #121
mike1270
adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 833
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
Also, players who are multi-tabling a large number of tables are not going to be able to do much from an exploitative stand point.
Your book is on a long list of books I plan to read

But, I have to say this statement is wrong for anyone who knows how to use a HUD. Badges, Icons, and customizable HUDs make it very easy to make exploitative plays while playing many tables.
mike1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #122
chrisshiherlis
journeyman
 
chrisshiherlis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 299
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
That's a relief! I thought that I ought to finish it (actually would've had to start from the beginning) and now I can put it into the bookcase instead.
At a minimum the authors of these books should come on a public forum and give a full and complete set of answers about what they're writing about and why they chose to write what they did. Anyone that refuses to do so should have their works rejected. They're only as good as the rationale behind them.
Cardner hasn't come on here but my point isn't really leveled at her. From what I've seen she's the real deal, but I've only seen about 1/8th of her stuff. Same for Angelo.
chrisshiherlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:29 PM   #123
Howard Beale
Formerly red
 
Howard Beale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Doing what my dog wants
Posts: 19,392
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Poker psychology is actually a very interesting topic. The reason that I feel comfortable having posted a review and why I also sometimes give advice in the psych forum is bec it's POKER psychology and I think that anybody that's introspective and is simply someone who has managed to even break even at small stakes (they are beating a steep rake) is worthy of offering advice. IOW, I don't think much of what might be called a 'pure' psychologist has to say about poker if they haven't suffered the intense mental strain that learning to play winning poker requires.

It's for this same reason that I advise any pro player (unless he/she is one of the few w/ millions in the bank) to only get into a relationship w/ someone else in the industry (floor, dealer, fellow player) bec nobody else will understand. And that's what happens, btw, at least where I play. Dealers marry players, players marry players, it's one huge 'incestuous' industry we're in the middle of!
Howard Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #124
jimitilt
enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 65
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

got it from amazon.com yesterday; not an auspicious start-two typos in the introduction
I will read it of course but who is your copy editor?
jimitilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #125
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 9,944
Re: Book Review Thread: Real Poker Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimitilt View Post
got it from amazon.com yesterday; not an auspicious start-two typos in the introduction
I will read it of course but who is your copy editor?
Hi jimi:

I do all the editing on 2+2 books. Could you tell me what the typos are and did you buy a kindle or a hard copy?

Thanks and best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online