Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Books and Publications Discussion and reviews of books, videos, and magazines. Sponsored by TwoPlusTwoStore.com.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #51
unborn
centurion
 
unborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 129
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

some new stuff (related to computers also)





unborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #52
LouB22
journeyman
 
LouB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 289
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

Also, thanks to Gonso for the sweet template
LouB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #53
unborn
centurion
 
unborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 129
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouB22 View Post
Also, thanks to Gonso for the sweet template
+1 really useful!
unborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #54
Reaper421
grinder
 
Reaper421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 2h 47m away from Las Vegas
Posts: 660
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

War at the poker table:



Link to 3900x2850 version - http://i.imgur.com/idhmk.jpg

or:



Link to 3900x2850 version - http://i.imgur.com/CXg3z.jpg

Last edited by Reaper421; 10-04-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Reaper421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #55
Reaper421
grinder
 
Reaper421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 2h 47m away from Las Vegas
Posts: 660
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

A little brighter than my other ones:



Link to 3900x2850 version - http://i.imgur.com/Dy8dn.jpg
Reaper421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #56
manychips
enthusiast
 
manychips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 88
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

I really want to try one. The ones already posted are very cool.
manychips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #57
Reaper421
grinder
 
Reaper421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 2h 47m away from Las Vegas
Posts: 660
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

Touched my first one up a bit, it looked kind of flat and I've learned a few things in photoshop since I started working on these:



Link to 3900x2850 version - http://i.imgur.com/TXfgD.jpg

edit: Just clicked on my first image posted in the thread and it says it contains errors, no idea why but every other image posted on imgur seem to be fine (could just be my computer though)

Last edited by Reaper421; 10-05-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Reaper421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #58
MSchu18
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MSchu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 12,967
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

looks more interesting, but I think(just my humble O) that putting a halo on the lettering is a distraction. even though it is simpler, plan lettering works better.

since you have the original files... do me a favor, try a version where you scale up the rubics so that some of the cube is actually bleeding off the page.... so it fills the space more completely, just as an exercise.
MSchu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #59
Reaper421
grinder
 
Reaper421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 2h 47m away from Las Vegas
Posts: 660
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post
looks more interesting, but I think(just my humble O) that putting a halo on the lettering is a distraction. even though it is simpler, plan lettering works better.

since you have the original files... do me a favor, try a version where you scale up the rubics so that some of the cube is actually bleeding off the page.... so it fills the space more completely, just as an exercise.
Thanks for the feedback, any ideas are appreciated. I think it does look better like this and you're right about the halo/glow on the text, I just learned how to add more effects like that and am probably overdoing it a bit now lol.



Link to 3900x2850 version - http://i.imgur.com/t8DlY.jpg

Last edited by Reaper421; 10-05-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Reaper421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #60
MSchu18
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MSchu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 12,967
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

see... I think the whole thing is much more impactful. play with it a little more and balance the "bleed" on the rubics cube in the negative space a little better and I think you have a winner here. you may try rotation and placement to get the right balance. it's troubling me that the cube is touching the shadow at the bottom. fighting with balance is always a trade off... so it's never easy, however it always represents that last 5% of a designs progress that really turns a good idea into a great idea.

very nice design!
MSchu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #61
unborn
centurion
 
unborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 129
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

To explore the game you will need a compass.




unborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #62
Professionalpoker
 
Professionalpoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: @propoker
Posts: 15,856
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

Lot of very good entries. Going to be a tough decision.
Professionalpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #63
Gonso
veteran
 
Gonso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,361
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

Yeah and there's still weeks left.

Also, Unborn and Reaper, you guys are poker cover machines
Gonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #64
RTT314
grinder
 
RTT314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 588
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

Hey guys! I'll submit my first entry here.

My name is Arpi and I am a last yearer at a commercial graphics university. I do this besides poker (or play poker besides this I don't really know ) and I really enjoy it. I basically study about logo making, brand and web-design, book illustration/cover designs, poster and commercial designs so if you guys want anything else I'm here to help.

I wanted to make the whole thing really "vegasy" so I got inspired by the "Welcome to the fabulous Las Vegas" sign. (note that no part of the actual sign was used at any point)



Some of my ideas behind the design:

The Front Cover:

All the texts on the front cover are sorted in order of importance regarding text-size and text-effect for the potential customer.

The main title (Further Limit Hold 'em) has a shiny and glowy neon look, also its the biggest of all the texts.
"Exploring the Model Poker Game" is the second biggest, having a red-to-orange gradient (hence red is the most eye-catching color scientifically proven! ) to make it pop for potential viewers.

Its hard to decide which of the 2 texts are more important - "Further Limit Hold 'em" or "Exploring the Model Poker". Because of this there are no significant differences in text-size or in text-attractivity. (Further Limit Hold 'em though is like 10-15% more attractive to the eye I'd say)

The author's line "by Philip Newall" is written in a comfortable hand-written style which gives a nice little "authorish" feeling to it. Also the sky blue color makes it less of an impact to the viewer's eye thus giving it the lowest importance level of all the texts on the front cover.

I added an Ace-King to the front cover because I felt like the cover got too detached from Texas Hold 'em and this little addition pulls it back towards it.
(this is optional and can be taken out if considered unnecessary)

The background has a nice warm "lightbulb-blur" effect giving the cover an extra layer of shininess.
The obligatory chip stack repositioned to the middle and also recolored to be a bit more conservative (gets the least attention but still is in the center)

The Spine:

The spine has the same text effects going on as the front cover thus continuing an identical style for the book. This makes the book easily locatable even on a bookshelf.

The Back Cover:

The number one priority regarding the back cover was to create as much writing space as possible. The textholder has a very minimal setup having a simple shiny border and a further blurred plus darkened background to increase readability. In the posted picture the textholder contains 357 words and as you can see the used fontsize is not even small at all.

Some further notes:

- All the objects on the cover were hand-drawn by me so there won't be any © problems there.
- Also all fonts were taken from Google Web Fonts. (http://www.google.com/webfonts) These fonts are free for commercial use for everyone (Google bought a worldwide free license on each font there - how nice of them ) So there won't be any © issues there either.

Mason or Phil if you guys want some adjustments on any part of the cover just hit me up and I'll sort it out. I am absolutely flexible regarding text positioning coloring or regarding text effect adjustments.

I will attach the .psd file if requested, also I can provide a print-ready .tiff format if necessary.

Thanks,
Arpi
RTT314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #65
MSchu18
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MSchu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 12,967
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

I hate gillies font... dump that if you can. it's very dated
MSchu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #66
Gonso
veteran
 
Gonso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,361
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

RTT: Don't know if it's intentional or not, but the text on your spine will be backwards compared to everything else on a bookshelf.

Everybody else: Just want to remind you that the bottom of the back cover is negotiable. The chrome "twoplustwo" and the font used for it (and there's a black glow still on that by the way), the way the slogans are laid out and their fonts, the 2+2 logo if you even want it there at all, the exact location of the UPC etc. Maybe add a QR code? I did that section a few different ways and Mason was fine with all of them, so feel free to screw with it or blow it up completely if it matches what you're doing better.
Gonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #67
RTT314
grinder
 
RTT314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 588
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonso View Post
RTT: Don't know if it's intentional or not, but the text on your spine will be backwards compared to everything else on a bookshelf.
hehe neah it wasnt intentional. Been there done that.



Also whats gillies?
RTT314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #68
AusDerBunker
centurion
 
AusDerBunker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 127
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

It is a horrible cover RTT, but I kinda like it
AusDerBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #69
Reaper421
grinder
 
Reaper421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 2h 47m away from Las Vegas
Posts: 660
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonso View Post
Yeah and there's still weeks left.

Also, Unborn and Reaper, you guys are poker cover machines
lol thanks, I think it has something to do with my addictive personality

Mschu, worked on that design a bit more and again really appreciate the advice, Ill post it when Im sure it's ready to go (don't want to clutter the thread up or anything)

Just upgraded from my 1998 version of photoshop so had some fun making this cover today:



Link to 3900x2850 version -http://i.imgur.com/NXAsC.jpg

Last edited by Reaper421; 10-07-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Reaper421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:08 AM   #70
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 9,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTT314 View Post
Hey guys! I'll submit my first entry here.

My name is Arpi and I am a last yearer at a commercial graphics university. I do this besides poker (or play poker besides this I don't really know ) and I really enjoy it. I basically study about logo making, brand and web-design, book illustration/cover designs, poster and commercial designs so if you guys want anything else I'm here to help.

I wanted to make the whole thing really "vegasy" so I got inspired by the "Welcome to the fabulous Las Vegas" sign. (note that no part of the actual sign was used at any point)



Some of my ideas behind the design:

The Front Cover:

All the texts on the front cover are sorted in order of importance regarding text-size and text-effect for the potential customer.

The main title (Further Limit Hold 'em) has a shiny and glowy neon look, also its the biggest of all the texts.
"Exploring the Model Poker Game" is the second biggest, having a red-to-orange gradient (hence red is the most eye-catching color scientifically proven! ) to make it pop for potential viewers.

Its hard to decide which of the 2 texts are more important - "Further Limit Hold 'em" or "Exploring the Model Poker". Because of this there are no significant differences in text-size or in text-attractivity. (Further Limit Hold 'em though is like 10-15% more attractive to the eye I'd say)

The author's line "by Philip Newall" is written in a comfortable hand-written style which gives a nice little "authorish" feeling to it. Also the sky blue color makes it less of an impact to the viewer's eye thus giving it the lowest importance level of all the texts on the front cover.

I added an Ace-King to the front cover because I felt like the cover got too detached from Texas Hold 'em and this little addition pulls it back towards it.
(this is optional and can be taken out if considered unnecessary)

The background has a nice warm "lightbulb-blur" effect giving the cover an extra layer of shininess.
The obligatory chip stack repositioned to the middle and also recolored to be a bit more conservative (gets the least attention but still is in the center)

The Spine:

The spine has the same text effects going on as the front cover thus continuing an identical style for the book. This makes the book easily locatable even on a bookshelf.

The Back Cover:

The number one priority regarding the back cover was to create as much writing space as possible. The textholder has a very minimal setup having a simple shiny border and a further blurred plus darkened background to increase readability. In the posted picture the textholder contains 357 words and as you can see the used fontsize is not even small at all.

Some further notes:

- All the objects on the cover were hand-drawn by me so there won't be any © problems there.
- Also all fonts were taken from Google Web Fonts. (http://www.google.com/webfonts) These fonts are free for commercial use for everyone (Google bought a worldwide free license on each font there - how nice of them ) So there won't be any © issues there either.

Mason or Phil if you guys want some adjustments on any part of the cover just hit me up and I'll sort it out. I am absolutely flexible regarding text positioning coloring or regarding text effect adjustments.

I will attach the .psd file if requested, also I can provide a print-ready .tiff format if necessary.

Thanks,
Arpi
Hi Arpi:

It's very likely that we will want an adjustment or two on whatever cover(s) we select. But we'll wait to after the selections are made before we contact the cover designer in that regard.

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #71
boat2p2-2
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 79
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em


Last edited by boat2p2-2; 10-09-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: image typo on eploring
boat2p2-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #72
MSchu18
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MSchu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 12,967
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

3 weeks left... look forward to seeing some more contenders emerge.
MSchu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #73
unborn
centurion
 
unborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 129
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

I often feel poker is like puzzle.



unborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #74
MSchu18
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MSchu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 12,967
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

^Not bad at all... good work sir!

did you happen to try a felt green background as an option? I do love the beige cover though.

type face in some places is slightly "lite"(maybe add thickness very slightly)... but overall it's working very well.
MSchu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #75
aiminglow
grinder
 
aiminglow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 502
Re: 2+2 Cover Design Contest for Further Limit Hold 'em

[QUOTE=unborn;35122970]some new stuff (related to computers also)



I like this one the best.
aiminglow is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online