Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Beginners Questions Poker beginner ? Ask your (possibly) naive question here and our community will attempt to help you.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #76
SquirrelsUnite
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,845
Re: ** Official Beginners NL Holdem Stats Thread **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachava View Post
I think my main problem is that i'm finding the profits coming a hell of a lot slower in cash games than they did in SnG's. I think i'll follow your suggestions on playing an increasing number of hands at each level. Sometimes takes me a while to get the volume in though because of other commitments and only playing 4 tables max. Think i'll play another hour or so of NL2 tonight then see how i get on with NL5 in the new year
Your stats are pretty solid, similar to what a lot of decent 25NL players have. I honestly think you're just wasting your time at 2NL. Just move up to 5NL, play enough hands where you're confident you're crushing and move up to 10NL. This might be 20k hands or 10k or even less if you're confident you're much better than everyone else at 5NL (which, just from looking at your stats is quite possible). Follow your own judgement in terms of number of hands but probably still stick to rigid rules in bankroll management.

As for your play consider raising limpers more often and limping behind less. Also, eventually you'll have to stop open limping (when people start isolating you), so start thinking about which of those hands you want to fold and which you want to raise with.
SquirrelsUnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:24 PM   #77
xxRONNIExx
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 35
Some what embarassing but heres my stats...need help

After over 31000 hands Im playing like crap. Believe it or not the majority of the money I lost in the SB and BB were AA, AK, and QQ. Im actually scared to play cards like those...any advice would be appreciated...thank you


xxRONNIExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #78
Wrane
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,568
Re: Some what embarassing but heres my stats...need help

? I don't think your stats are that bad.

And you got to realized that you're aces can be cracked.
With A/A you can't play your hand. You have to play their hand.
Wrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #79
Demonic
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 938
Re: Some what embarassing but heres my stats...need help

Complete the small blind less.
Don't ever call a raise from the SB or BB without a PP. 3 Bet good aces and high PP but dont call.
Open more from the cutoff.
Demonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:46 PM   #80
Wrane
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,568
Re: Some what embarassing but heres my stats...need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonic View Post
Don't ever call a raise from the SB or BB without a PP.


You serious?
Wrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #81
Darren
journeyman
 
Darren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 371
Re: ** Official Beginners NL Holdem Stats Thread **

No programs to track Carbon Poker

Ran $500 deposit down to $250 but, now up to $1300 playing outside my roll. <3 fish

(playing back in my roll at 50nl now)
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:15 AM   #82
"SHRaKeN"
banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kennedale
Posts: 36
Re: ** Official Beginners NL Holdem Stats Thread **





help me
"SHRaKeN" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:58 AM   #83
RoSeeker
banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,008
Re: ** Official Beginners NL Holdem Stats Thread **

"SHRaKeN":

VPIP too much, PFR too little in comparison. You can get your PFR to a bit higher, maybe 15, but more than that is a more difficult to play, though certainly profitable. VPIP... get it to 18, perhaps even 17.5.

Your W$SD is pretty darn high, which is a good thing, especially since your WTSD is above average as well. WWSF isn't bad, though I think you're sacrificing some of it because you might be a bit too nitty postflop.

AF can be a bit higher, but it's not an issue I don't think. 3Bet is fine, maybe even a bit higher. Good, not continuing vs 3bet too much.

So your stats aside from high VPIP is not poor, but your winrate is still so low. I am going to assume that this is because you're not value betting thin enough. That's why you win so much at showdowns, but still don't win a lot.

FWIW, I have less than 50% W$SD and still win more bb/100.

VALUE BET YOUR HANDS. It's much better to c/f than c/c unless you're inducing a bluff, but b/f is still the best choice a lot of the times.

Get your weak tight mode off ^^
RoSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:50 AM   #84
sulphh
journeyman
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: London
Posts: 345
Re: ** Official Beginners NL Holdem Stats Thread **







tried 24 tabling FR - epic fail

Last edited by sulphh; 12-31-2008 at 04:11 AM.
sulphh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:41 AM   #85
"SHRaKeN"
banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kennedale
Posts: 36
Re: ** Official Beginners NL Holdem Stats Thread **

Roseeker:

thanks for the advice. Does it matter that i buy in w/ 5 instead of 10 ??
"SHRaKeN" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:55 AM   #86
Lego05
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 23,640
Re: ** Official Beginners NL Holdem Stats Thread **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachava View Post
Started playing cash games primarily over the last month or so after being a mainly SnG player. As I'd not played much in the way of cash games prior to this I wanted to work up from NL2 to whatever level decent BR management dictated. I was originally going to play 10k hands at each level below my current bankroll limits to make sure i could beat it before moving up. However i'm finding myself wanting to move up from 2NL after just under 5k hands. Would you recommend moving up to 5NL now and not bothering with 2NL (unless i drop a fair few BI's at 5NL) or would my original plan of playing at least 10k hands at each level be more advisable?

Anyway, these are my current stats at NL2. Oh and my BR is currently sat at $280





Thanks in advance

Edit: Also is it normal to be in profit in the blinds? I'm guessing the small sample size is the main reason for this


Don't know if anybody's said it .... I took a very cursory glance ...... VPIP from sb seems quite high ... especially bein g it's double your PFR from the sb so it can't all be from when it folds to your sb and you raise. Anyway, yea I just took a cursory glance so don't take my omission of saying anything else to mean nothing else .... I haven't really looked at anything else.
Lego05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:00 AM   #87
RoSeeker
banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,008
Re: ** Official Beginners NL Holdem Stats Thread **

Quote:
Originally Posted by "SHRaKeN" View Post
Roseeker:

thanks for the advice. Does it matter that i buy in w/ 5 instead of 10 ??
Oh, you buyin with 50bbs? Well then you really should tighten up a lot more; pocket pairs and speculative hands drop in value. Really though, you should buyin with either 60 or 100 (ideally), becuase 60 is the perfect range for your overpair or TPTK hands.
RoSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:55 AM   #88
BoterSmoter
veteran
 
BoterSmoter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,095
Re: ** Official Beginners NL Holdem Stats Thread **

Great thread!

Here are my stats. First off all. These are my 10NL stats. I have no problem beating 10NL.



Now thats not my problem, the problem is 25NL. I'm having real problems moving up!
Here is my 25NL lifetime:



I'm really trying my best too beat 25NL. Do you guys see any leaks in my 25NL game. I just cant understand why I beat 10NL so easy and 25NL seems almost unbeatable for me!
BoterSmoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:57 AM   #89
Chachava
adept
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 727
Re: ** Official Beginners NL Holdem Stats Thread **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego05 View Post
Don't know if anybody's said it .... I took a very cursory glance ...... VPIP from sb seems quite high ... especially bein g it's double your PFR from the sb so it can't all be from when it folds to your sb and you raise. Anyway, yea I just took a cursory glance so don't take my omission of saying anything else to mean nothing else .... I haven't really looked at anything else.
Yeah this is on my 'to fix' list when i move up to NL5. Although the main reason for it is that at NL2 you have such huge implied odds (so your not in the pot with only short stackers). I tend to call with any suited ace, suited connectors (although I really should have ruled out a few of them), and a few suited Kings aswell. I realise this is a strategy that isn't going to work as well when i move up to NL5 since most people won't be much more than 100bb deep
Chachava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:23 PM   #90
RoSeeker
banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,008
Re: ** Official Beginners NL Holdem Stats Thread **

BoterSmother:

Wow, 111k hands, impressive. Pretty decent winrate there, too.

That said, while you say you have no problem there, I do think that you're probably playing a bit too weaktight, which should be okay at 10NL, but may have reflected in your 25NL game, and will probably become more apparent at 50NL.

You can be a bit tighter in the SB, and looser in the CO and BTN, but it's generally fine. By the way, your BB's WWSF is, for some reason, much less than others. Think about that.

Your WTSD is very very low, and WWSF is not too bad, but quite low also. You might want to check to induce bluff against busted draws a bit, and so on, though your AF is not too high, so it's probably okay. You don't C-Bet enough, however, and your 3bet% is on the low side. You definetly need to add some light 3bet into your range.

Looking at your 25NL stats... you're too tight. Waay too tight. Your 10NL stats were tight to begin with; you need to really loosen up a little bit here. I'm nowhere near the supposedly ideal 22/18 stats, but I must say 16 is too little. I think you're becoming afraid of losing money and nitting up. This is bad. Your W$SD hasn't changed, but your WTSD did, and this further indicates weak-tight play. You're giving up on hands too easily.

I think the best way to solve this is to post and read some hands regarding marginal situations and think about how you can take that EV, because you'll eventually have to do more than nut peddle. You'll actually need to value bet middle pair or QQ on K98 or something.
RoSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #91
boydy19
journeyman
 
boydy19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 248
My Graph (confused)

Hey,

been playing poker for a while now but only just started playing cash games. Unfortunately i've been running bad into big suckouts, cooler hands general mediocre play and what have you, although i generally feel i've been playing good enough to beat 5nl.

I can't really make sense of this hand although i'm down quite a bit of money why does the $ won at showdown differ so much from the other 2?


Last edited by boydy19; 01-02-2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: picture
boydy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #92
sulphh
journeyman
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: London
Posts: 345
Re: My Graph (confused)

huh
sulphh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #93
njpitcher
journeyman
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Swat'mo
Posts: 241
Re: My Graph (confused)

It means you're putting money in the pot and folding so much that it far outweighs the times you actually showdown and win money (the good news is when it gets to showdown, you win money on average). Unfortunately, you're spewing and folding way too much, which I would think means you're playing way too loose/passive. Contrary to what you're saying, even though you're getting coolered when the cards are flipped, you're making money, so that's not your issue. You're not taking enough pots w/o showdown, and you're putting money in and then giving up way too much. My guess is youre running a high vpip, and your agg factor is probably pretty low.

And when you add the $ with showdown and the $ w/o showdown, you get your total $.
njpitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #94
Malefiicus
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Malefiicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ribonucleic acid freak out.
Posts: 6,417
Re: My Graph (confused)

You're calling too many flops/turns without plans for the hand. Just going "I hope I hit", or "Maybe he won't bet again". So then you put in a ton of money, and end up folding at the end. Decide how far you want to go in a hand before you make it to the river.

This is just a guess mind you, the graph doesn't really tell us anything, but this is the most likely culprit.
Malefiicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #95
Gruffalo
centurion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 198
Re: ** Official Beginners NL Holdem Stats Thread **

Hi all. thanks for this great thread. I did post my stats in another thread, but i think the beginner's one would be more appropriate. I've got a lot better since joining 2+2 but i still need to improve loads.

here is the link to my stats:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/69...t=#post7766189


thanks.
Gruffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #96
OziBattler
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
OziBattler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: no longer modding..real life called
Posts: 14,710
Re: My Graph (confused)

boydy, i merged your thread with the official stats thread so you can easily find it and read it and because a graph in isolation is pretty hard to interpret. the first few replies to your graph probably nail it though. You have a negative red line because you arent aggressive enough which means you often have to fold when your opponents bets. As your game progresses and you get more aggressive you might find your red line goes positive but then you ahve to worry about your blue going negative.

if you want to post stats in this thread make sure you have at least 10k worth of hands. in the meantime, post some hands that give you trouble, reply to other peoples posts...this is a tried and proven recipe for success.

also regarding the bolded bit...i suggest looking inward for leaks. we get a lot of people saying they lose because they are unlucky (which might be true) but the reality is often they made mistakes that contributed more to their losses than they want to believe. that being said, you have a huge legup by being on 2+2 as most of your opponetns wont have even heard of this place. just do your best to use the resources provided and hopefully youll understand the crazy game better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydy19 View Post
Hey,

been playing poker for a while now but only just started playing cash games. Unfortunately i've been running bad into big suckouts, cooler hands general mediocre play and what have you, although i generally feel i've been playing good enough to beat 5nl.

I can't really make sense of this hand although i'm down quite a bit of money why does the $ won at showdown differ so much from the other 2?

OziBattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:52 AM   #97
Iron Tamer
veteran
 
Iron Tamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 2,948
Re: ** Official Beginners NL Holdem Stats Thread **

hmm, I have no idea why my w$sd is so low. Also yeah I know im off by 1k but im a bit anxious for some fead back =).




Last edited by Iron Tamer; 01-03-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Iron Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:27 AM   #98
pokerloser10056
grinder
 
pokerloser10056's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 594
First 20,000 Hands.

Tell me what you all think I need to improve on. Thanks.





pokerloser10056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:11 AM   #99
Shick
veteran
 
Shick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Feeding the Fish
Posts: 2,314
Re: First 20,000 Hands.

A bit nitty for 6max. Steal more blinds. But gimmie 21BB/100 anyday.

Level?
Shick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:53 AM   #100
PEGtheBEAST
enthusiast
 
PEGtheBEAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 69
Re: First 20,000 Hands.

I actually think you're playing pretty good, although you could afford to loosen up a bit, but not that much. Your button stats look really good and 21BB/100 is obviously great.
PEGtheBEAST is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online