Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games

Notices

Other Gambling Games Discussion about other gambling games.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #361
old hand
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,382
Re: Thread about video poker

I was playing DDB last night was dealt AAA22 Should I have kept just the AAA or AAA2

I know it has been talked about on here but what android app can I get that would have told me the answer while at the game
Barbiaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #362
veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,460
Re: Thread about video poker

Just keep AAA for DDB. Holding a boat is a significant mistake ($5.26 average error on a 8/5 quarter machine). Holding AAA2 is a moderate mistake (69c average error on a 8/5 quarter machine).

The app that was suggested earlier in this thread was the winpoker app for iPhone. According to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/winpoker/ it has yet to be extended to android.
tringlomane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #363
old hand
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,382
Re: Thread about video poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tringlomane View Post
Just keep AAA for DDB. Holding a boat is a significant mistake ($5.26 average error on a 8/5 quarter machine). Holding AAA2 is a moderate mistake (69c average error on a 8/5 quarter machine).

The app that was suggested earlier in this thread was the winpoker app for iPhone. According to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/winpoker/ it has yet to be extended to android.
thank you tring, that is what I did but after I was rethinking it. I do not have an iphone so I guess i will just wait for droid to get a version.
Barbiaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #364
veteran
 
SuitedJunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,225
Re: Thread about video poker

Dealt full house w/ AAA in Double Double bonus definitely only hold the AAA

In Tripple Double Bonus they say you should hold AAA2 since AAAA+Kicker pays 4000, although I don't feel I could do that...
SuitedJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #365
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 33
Re: Thread about video poker

Playing thay high the variance is insane. Huge risk of depleting bankroll which you can see on wizardofodds.com. I hit a royal for 25 $1 credits one night and then went to JoB machine and lost 12k in 2 hours at same denimination. It's almost impossible to stop clicking that button.
Kirkdiese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #366
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent
Posts: 5,010
Re: Thread about video poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitedJunk View Post
Dealt full house w/ AAA in Double Double bonus definitely only hold the AAA

In Tripple Double Bonus they say you should hold AAA2 since AAAA+Kicker pays 4000, although I don't feel I could do that...
If you can't make what you know are the mathematically correct plays, perhaps video poker isn't for you. Just a thought.
Tom Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #367
veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,460
Re: Thread about video poker

I was watching a lady next to me play 100-line penny TDB once for the max, and we got all excited that she got dealt AAA, and I didn't notice that she had a low kicker with it until the moment she hit the draw button, and she just held AAA since she didn't know better. The way she was running on that 96% machine, she definitely was getting AAAA+kicker if she kept the kicker. Instead she got about 5 regular quads out of the 100, but I still felt guilty since she was occasionally asking me for advice and that was about a $22.50 mistake for a $6 spin.

FYI, the variance that machine is suicidal. 100 betting units/hand on a single line machine, which is worse than Loose Deuces Wild. DDB is a little over 40 betting units/hand by comparison.
tringlomane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #368
old hand
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,382
Re: Thread about video poker

still no royal for me but 10 days ago I hit AAAA2, 2 times in one night on DDB

It killed me to not be able to come on here to post it.

YAY me
Barbiaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #369
ractar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Thread about video poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ames View Post
If you can't make what you know are the mathematically correct plays, perhaps video poker isn't for you. Just a thought.
That's unfair. If he knows he's making a mathematically incorrect play and is willing to gamble, then let him. It's one thing to know better and gamble anyway and another thing completely to not know better.

It's kinda like taking the ugly chick home... you know you're going to regret it in the morning, but you do it anyway. Knowing the consequences beforehand allows you to make an informed (albeit unwise) decision.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #370
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent
Posts: 5,010
Re: Thread about video poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ractar View Post
That's unfair. If he knows he's making a mathematically incorrect play and is willing to gamble, then let him. It's one thing to know better and gamble anyway and another thing completely to not know better.

It's kinda like taking the ugly chick home... you know you're going to regret it in the morning, but you do it anyway. Knowing the consequences beforehand allows you to make an informed (albeit unwise) decision.
Sorry, but it's completely fair. Many players learn to play vp because they've heard or read that it's a +ev game. These days it doesn't take many errors or lapses in judgment to remove whatever edge the player might have had.

I wasn't advising the poster to swear off vp. I was advising him to re-evaluate his goals and objectives, and then decide whether he should continue playing vp. And I wouldn't have even posted that had his earlier post on this page about a winning trip not contained flashing red warning signs.

If he simply wants to gamble, that is fine with me. After all, if it weren't for the action of the pure gamblers outweighing that of educated players, casinos would not be able to offer profitable vp games. Being knowledgeable of the mathematics behind the game but ignoring it simply makes no sense to me, but to each his own.
Tom Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #371
old hand
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,382
Re: Thread about video poker

So while the forums were down my local casino decided to make some HUGE changes to VP. It makes no sense to me since the best game they have is JOB 8/5. 1 month ago they had 2 banks of VP with approx 50 machines in each. They had 2 large bars with VP the entire way around them and 1 small bank with approx 20 machines.

Today they have 1 bank with 50 with JOB 8/5, 1 bank of 10 machines with JOB 8/5, and 2 bars with JOB 6/5. YIKESSSSSS
Barbiaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #372
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent
Posts: 5,010
Re: Thread about video poker

Typical short-sighted casino management. They figure if they're making $xxx with a given paytable, they'll make > $xxx if they worsen the paytables. They don't consider that they'll lose a number of players as soon as they make the change as well as lose another group of players who will quickly discover their trip stake doesn't last nearly as long as it used to.

You will almost certainly see further downgrading of paytables before you will see management admit they made a mistake and restore the former paytables.
Tom Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:03 AM   #373
veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,460
Re: Thread about video poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbiaux View Post
So while the forums were down my local casino decided to make some HUGE changes to VP. It makes no sense to me since the best game they have is JOB 8/5. 1 month ago they had 2 banks of VP with approx 50 machines in each. They had 2 large bars with VP the entire way around them and 1 small bank with approx 20 machines.

Today they have 1 bank with 50 with JOB 8/5, 1 bank of 10 machines with JOB 8/5, and 2 bars with JOB 6/5. YIKESSSSSS
Terrible. Do they tend to offer 6/5 Bonus Poker there OP? If they do, I would see if Super Times Pay (STP) or Double Super Times Pay (DSTP) offer those payouts if they dont offer 8/5 JoB on those machines. 6/5 Bonus on DSTP has a better payout than standard 8/5 JoB when playing 7 coins. It's sure is a hell of a lot more fun, and it's often my nickel game of choice if I can find it.
tringlomane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #374
enthusiast
 
farmerdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 68
Re: Thread about video poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
99.54% is the house edge on 9/6 JoB, so you lose (on average) .46c per $100 bet.

100.77% is the house edge on FPDW, so you will win (on average) .77 per $100 bet.
The above was posted by Syncmaster on 05-25-2011 at 04:59 PM in this thread. I am trying to determine an average payout overtime. How much is typically bet per min or hour? I am new to VP and it just seems like $100 is a lot to risk for a payout of $0.77.
farmerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #375
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,588
Re: Thread about video poker

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerdd View Post
The above was posted by Syncmaster on 05-25-2011 at 04:59 PM in this thread. I am trying to determine an average payout overtime. How much is typically bet per min or hour? I am new to VP and it just seems like $100 is a lot to risk for a payout of $0.77.
How much $ bet per hour would depend on what level coin you are playing. Most -EV games are all over the place, from as low as a nickel all the way up to $100 coins.

Most casinos set up the machines so the games that pay close to 100% can only be played at low denominations. Realistically, +EV games are not really found higher than the quarter level anymore. So you are only wagering $1.25 per hand on these games.

What you are looking for is how many hands per hour someone could play. However, that will also very depending on how easy the game is and how experienced they are. These are all guesses, but just to give you an idea I would say...
300/hr for a new player
500/hr for a casual player
700+ for experienced players staying 100% focused.
syncmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive