Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Business, Finance, and Investing Making money, investing in markets, and running businesses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #151
kiderino
adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 718
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

I have absolutely no engineering experience or any idea about how to go about creating my idea...maybe someone can help.

So, my cable bill has been going up and up over the past few years, so I went to look into changing providers, and found cheaper ones. Great! However, I didn't switch due to the fact that I didn't want to spend hours and hours relearning new tv stations. With 1000 channels now on tv, it is a task only someone with unlimited time can complete.

This got me thinking about some sort of system that allows you to program channel numbers from any provider. For instance, I I know by heart pretty much all the channel numbers on comcast in my area, so if I switched providers to save on my monthly bill, I would be able to reprogram the channels to my desired taste.

I don't know where to begin with this, and not even sure if something like this is already out there. Any ideas?
kiderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #152
thebreaker27
adept
 
thebreaker27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brazil
Posts: 777
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

Any ideas aimed at women?

-------

Aachwau A mix of a boxer mouth protector with a electric toothbrush, so you put on hot water, adjust to your mouth and brush your teeth quickly [we use about 100.000 minutes in our life washing our teeth].

Last edited by thebreaker27; 12-02-2011 at 08:10 PM.
thebreaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #153
anyhero
adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 856
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiderino View Post
I have absolutely no engineering experience or any idea about how to go about creating my idea...maybe someone can help.

So, my cable bill has been going up and up over the past few years, so I went to look into changing providers, and found cheaper ones. Great! However, I didn't switch due to the fact that I didn't want to spend hours and hours relearning new tv stations. With 1000 channels now on tv, it is a task only someone with unlimited time can complete.

This got me thinking about some sort of system that allows you to program channel numbers from any provider. For instance, I I know by heart pretty much all the channel numbers on comcast in my area, so if I switched providers to save on my monthly bill, I would be able to reprogram the channels to my desired taste.

I don't know where to begin with this, and not even sure if something like this is already out there. Any ideas?
DVRs are widely available and solve this problem for you.
anyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #154
JasonInDallas
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Foothills
Posts: 6,899
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiderino View Post
This got me thinking about some sort of system that allows you to program channel numbers from any provider. For instance, I I know by heart pretty much all the channel numbers on comcast in my area, so if I switched providers to save on my monthly bill, I would be able to reprogram the channels to my desired taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyhero View Post
DVRs are widely available and solve this problem for you.
I don't see how?

If I like to watch CNN and it's currently ch 123 on my provider and I switch to a new provider where it's 199 a DVR doesn't help me. DVR only assists in keeping up with shows and events, somewhat.
JasonInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #155
thebreaker27
adept
 
thebreaker27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brazil
Posts: 777
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by justfoldpleaseok View Post
This could work...the more i think about my idea it sounds kinda silly but im im gonna say it anyway. what about using this idea in a reverse auction sort of way.(instead of bidding up the price, the mechanics bid down the price, and the winner of the bid wins the repair of the car. every week or so...an auction is held for people whose car is broken blahblah....a 10$ entry fee is paid to <auction company> for customers who place their "repairs for bid" then some independant auditing mechanics veiw and serves the cars, this is were they will come up with an estimate of what is wrong with the car and what needs to be fixed and how much this costs.

say jeffs car got some body damage, (his wife couldnt handle his foot odour so she hit his car with a bat) the independant mechanic auditor man serveys the car, says " ahh yes this this this needs to be fixed, this can go anywhere from 500-1000$. then the car is put up for auction where the mechanics "bid down" the price. the auctioneer starts this at 900$ mechanics get into a bidding war were they bid down the price "ill fix it for 850" ...800 for me, 750 here...going once twice sold... that mechanic would then win the repair of that car and the customer is obligated to pay the man to fix it.

havent though much beyond that, such as verifying that these mechanics know wht theyre doing or something...i dunno maybe we can build from that? id be intrested in working with you
How much does the independent mechanic auditor will charge?

Try to convince someone doing this like if the auction already existed. Personally I wouldn't want to put my car in the guy whose primarily quality is being the cheapest.
thebreaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #156
justfoldpleaseok
grinder
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: T.Dot
Posts: 492
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebreaker27 View Post
How much does the independent mechanic auditor will charge?

Try to convince someone doing this like if the auction already existed. Personally I wouldn't want to put my car in the guy whose primarily quality is being the cheapest.
agian depending on how many people come to the auction...you can say that the auditor gets 5% of the money earend from coming to the auction etc..

in order for a mechanic to go to the auction he must have some certifaction saying he is capable and doing this blah blah...you can set up a membership with the mechanics that want to come so the mechanics are just some joe shmoes.

Of course, before subbimted your car, youd have to sign a waiver, saying , something along the lines of....I put my broken car up for auction to be fixed and trust that the independant auditor has provided an accurate estimate and willing to pay for the auction price..etc

you, as the person putting your car up for the auction, create a legal liability for your self. kind of like a company declares a divedend...i think. once you sign that wavier you are saying "im willing to pay what ever the auctioned price is to fix my car" and you cant change your mind if you think the price is to high when your vehicales already been auctioned. its just the gamble theyre going to have to take. obviously the independant auditor would tell them before the auction starts if its worth it yadah yadah yada...and they would have a certain time period, say an ohour before the bidding begins to take their car of the lot and not have it bid on.

And im not to sure what you mean by your second statement? care to elaborate?
justfoldpleaseok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #157
brendons31
old hand
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Sebastian, Spain
Posts: 1,454
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

An idea that me and a mate have kind of joked about but could have some merit is a "log bomb". Probably sounds pretty stupid so I'll explain further. Basically, when a mate of mine goes to the toilet for a number 2 he says that he often does massive logs which won't flush (for days). I have seen evidence of this when I stayed at his house. Maybe not a big deal at home, but you don't always go to the toilet at home. I was with the same friend at a busy bar in France where he needed to go to the toilet and layed an unflushable log. The toilets were unisex and there was a hot French girl next in line for the toilet and he was feeling pretty embarrassed walking out and leaving that there unflushed. I could also imagine it being pretty embarrassing doing it at a friends place or something.

So the solution we had was a little tablet that could be carried in a wallet and could be dropped into the toilet cause a mini explosion in there to break up the log instantly. I guess the tablet would consist of something that would react with water to create a mini bomb, but won't create any splashing in the bathroom.

Getting the formula right for the tablet would take some work, so then the question is whether the idea is profitable. I think it really depends on how many people this affects. I have no idea, I've never had the issue myself. Is my mate just a rare freak, or is actually quite a common problem. Places where the tablets would be sold I guess would be pharmacies and perhaps in bar/nightclub vending machines.
brendons31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #158
andr3w321
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,031
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

A list of rentals that allows all dogs. No breed restrictions.

I'm currently trying to move and I own a pitbull. Virtually all management companies have a no aggressive breeds policy even though my dog has never bit anyone in his life. I'm finding it super hard to find a place to live.
andr3w321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #159
justfoldpleaseok
grinder
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: T.Dot
Posts: 492
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendons31 View Post
An idea that me and a mate have kind of joked about but could have some merit is a "log bomb". Probably sounds pretty stupid so I'll explain further. Basically, when a mate of mine goes to the toilet for a number 2 he says that he often does massive logs which won't flush (for days). I have seen evidence of this when I stayed at his house. Maybe not a big deal at home, but you don't always go to the toilet at home. I was with the same friend at a busy bar in France where he needed to go to the toilet and layed an unflushable log. The toilets were unisex and there was a hot French girl next in line for the toilet and he was feeling pretty embarrassed walking out and leaving that there unflushed. I could also imagine it being pretty embarrassing doing it at a friends place or something.

So the solution we had was a little tablet that could be carried in a wallet and could be dropped into the toilet cause a mini explosion in there to break up the log instantly. I guess the tablet would consist of something that would react with water to create a mini bomb, but won't create any splashing in the bathroom.

Getting the formula right for the tablet would take some work, so then the question is whether the idea is profitable. I think it really depends on how many people this affects. I have no idea, I've never had the issue myself. Is my mate just a rare freak, or is actually quite a common problem. Places where the tablets would be sold I guess would be pharmacies and perhaps in bar/nightclub vending machines.

hahaha this is funny! one pitfall...If one little tablet created a "mini explosion" to break the **** up, what would happen if some maniac went and bought 100 million tablets and put them in the ocean or something? the world would die and as the famous basketball commentator once said "boom goes the dynamite".

IMHO in reality it wont work if its a "bomb" if you can get some chemical formula that breaks down the solid **** and turns it into a dieriah then thats a bloddy innovation that will sell.

For now though, this can probably work as a joke pill. you can sell it to a gag shop and give it to your friends on their birthday or something to just poke fun.
justfoldpleaseok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #160
thebreaker27
adept
 
thebreaker27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brazil
Posts: 777
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendons31 View Post
An idea that me and a mate have kind of joked about but could have some merit is a "log bomb". Probably sounds pretty stupid so I'll explain further. Basically, when a mate of mine goes to the toilet for a number 2 he says that he often does massive logs which won't flush (for days). I have seen evidence of this when I stayed at his house. Maybe not a big deal at home, but you don't always go to the toilet at home. I was with the same friend at a busy bar in France where he needed to go to the toilet and layed an unflushable log. The toilets were unisex and there was a hot French girl next in line for the toilet and he was feeling pretty embarrassed walking out and leaving that there unflushed. I could also imagine it being pretty embarrassing doing it at a friends place or something.

So the solution we had was a little tablet that could be carried in a wallet and could be dropped into the toilet cause a mini explosion in there to break up the log instantly. I guess the tablet would consist of something that would react with water to create a mini bomb, but won't create any splashing in the bathroom.

Getting the formula right for the tablet would take some work, so then the question is whether the idea is profitable. I think it really depends on how many people this affects. I have no idea, I've never had the issue myself. Is my mate just a rare freak, or is actually quite a common problem. Places where the tablets would be sold I guess would be pharmacies and perhaps in bar/nightclub vending machines.
Don't know if it would sell, but laughing mfao!

Tell your friend to put a plastic bag, close the thing, don't let the air escape and flush it.
thebreaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #161
kiderino
adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 718
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInDallas View Post
I don't see how?

If I like to watch CNN and it's currently ch 123 on my provider and I switch to a new provider where it's 199 a DVR doesn't help me. DVR only assists in keeping up with shows and events, somewhat.


Precisely. I don't see how dvr works to solve this problem either?
kiderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #162
andr3w321
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,031
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

White people problems. There's an app called dijit which is basically a tv guide on your phone (I'm sure there are plenty others out there like this). Seems like it should be relatively easy to modify this app to have your favorite channels pushed to the top of the view so you could just click on them and change the channel and not worry about scrolling way down/caring what channel # is.

The app can be paired with a griffin beacon hardware device for $70 which connects to your phone via bluetooth and sends IR signals to your tv/dvd player whatever turning your iphone into a universal remote. I got it about a week ago and am kinda meh on it. It disconnects when I leave the house and I have to resync frequently. My gf and I can't both connect at the same time. Not as quick as a normal remote, but I still use the app as a tv guide all the time.

Last edited by andr3w321; 12-02-2011 at 09:15 PM.
andr3w321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #163
thebreaker27
adept
 
thebreaker27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brazil
Posts: 777
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

@justfold, I had misunderstood your idea, what I was saying is trying to sell the service in person (just to test the interest and get some feedback).

-----------

FreeCalls. Ads at the end of your phone calls that pay them which you listen through (if you want). "Press 1 for X to pay your phone bill, press 2 to X to pay your phone bill and contact one of their sales (optional - also use a know effect of human behavior that increased the % of buyers by about 100% on the researches I've saw).
thebreaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #164
kiderino
adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 718
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by andr3w321 View Post
White people problems. There's an app called dijit which is basically a tv guide on your phone (I'm sure there are plenty others out there like this). Seems like it should be relatively easy to modify this app to have your favorite channels pushed to the top of the view so you could just click on them and change the channel and not worry about scrolling way down/caring what channel # is.

The app can be paired with a griffin beacon hardware device for $70 which connects to your phone via bluetooth and sends IR signals to your tv/dvd player whatever turning your iphone into a universal remote. I got it about a week ago and am kinda meh on it. It disconnects when I leave the house and I have to resync frequently. My gf and I can't both connect at the same time. Not as quick as a normal remote, but I still use the app as a tv guide all the time.

Interesting info. Still not the exact same thing but clearly right along those lines.
kiderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #165
anyhero
adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 856
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiderino View Post
Precisely. I don't see how dvr works to solve this problem either?
The DVR knows what number channel X is. You look up a show on channel X, it tells you the number. It solves the problem.

The original solution proposed in which (via some gadget) one dials the same numbers and gets the same channel with a different provider has absolutely no market, and is a complete non-starter.
anyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #166
JasonInDallas
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Foothills
Posts: 6,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyhero View Post
The DVR knows what number channel X is. You look up a show on channel X, it tells you the number. It solves the problem.

The original solution proposed in which (via some gadget) one dials the same numbers and gets the same channel with a different provider has absolutely no market, and is a complete non-starter.
DVR does not solve the problem, and its impossible to say with such certianty there is no market for a solution. Focus groups years ago said no one would ever use an ATM.
JasonInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #167
calm
banned
 
calm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,087
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

Thanks, enjoyed these a lot.
calm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #168
calm
banned
 
calm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,087
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

Is there a good web app for drawing up a quick sketch / layout for how I want a website to look?
calm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #169
cwar
Free Hugz
 
cwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11,069
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by calm View Post
Is there a good web app for drawing up a quick sketch / layout for how I want a website to look?
I love this thing:
http://www.balsamiq.com/
cwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #170
kiderino
adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 718
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyhero View Post
The DVR knows what number channel X is. You look up a show on channel X, it tells you the number. It solves the problem.

The original solution proposed in which (via some gadget) one dials the same numbers and gets the same channel with a different provider has absolutely no market, and is a complete non-starter.

That is the exact point, we do not want to go to DVR and look up what channel a show is on, we want to know it already.

And the market would be for anyone who wants to change provider to save money, but not want to learn the new stations. I think a lot of people just say "the hell with the few dollars more I pay" I like the setup now.
kiderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:33 AM   #171
Your Mom
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: grinding out a mediocre living
Posts: 12,891
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyhero View Post
FML is catchier than airyourgrievances I'm afraid.

http://www.fmylife.com/
FML is way different than telling others how much they suck.
Your Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:37 AM   #172
OrganicGreen
old hand
 
OrganicGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 1,466
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

www.kickstarter.com
OrganicGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:22 AM   #173
andr3w321
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,031
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

Fresh, healthy uncooked meal packages

This would take the planning out of meals and be able to tell you exactly how many calories everything is. For example, I can go buy premade microwavable enchiladas that taste like crap. Or I can go buy tortillas, beans, enchilada sauce, sour cream, guacamole, cheese, chicken then I have to go look up a recipe and cook it, but it tastes 100x better and its 100x better for me. There are lots of meals like this. Burger and fries with all fresh produce and meat which you cook yourself. All the ingredients for fresh lasagna with fresh peas and garlic bread and a recipe in one package that you make yourself. Sure you can buy the frozen crap or do everything yourself, but how come there's no hybrid like there is for cakes, cookies, macaroni etc?
andr3w321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:26 AM   #174
BrandysB
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,620
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicGreen View Post
I feel dumb, even after reading the site I still dont really get why someone would fund most of the projects on there....when they speak of rewards/stories how is that going to benefit me at all...maybe im missing the point completely
BrandysB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:29 AM   #175
BrandysB
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,620
Re: Your ideas are worthless, and I'm here to prove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by andr3w321 View Post
Fresh, healthy uncooked meal packages

This would take the planning out of meals and be able to tell you exactly how many calories everything is. For example, I can go buy premade microwavable enchiladas that taste like crap. Or I can go buy tortillas, beans, enchilada sauce, sour cream, guacamole, cheese, chicken then I have to go look up a recipe and cook it, but it tastes 100x better and its 100x better for me. There are lots of meals like this. Burger and fries with all fresh produce and meat which you cook yourself. All the ingredients for fresh lasagna with fresh peas and garlic bread and a recipe in one package that you make yourself. Sure you can buy the frozen crap or do everything yourself, but how come there's no hybrid like there is for cakes, cookies, macaroni etc?
I like it...a lot of the time i'll look up a new recipe and leave things out cos i either can't find it or don't want to buy a lot of something that i'll probably never use again or only comes in a large size etc
BrandysB is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online