Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Notices

Business, Finance, and Investing Making money, investing in markets, and running businesses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
banned
 
Bernabus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Being mindf*ked by Memento
Posts: 1,260
Warren Buffet Conference.

Hey um so my dad and i are gonna go see Warren Buffet make his annual conference at the berkshire hathaway. Thing is, were from Scotland, and i have next to no idea about Omaha, Nebraska.

Few Questions if anyone would be so kind to answer them

1. Any thing to see/do there? (other than the obvious lol)
2. Whats some good hotels to stay in? Were not poor, but at the same time were not shelling out a couple of thousand just to stay a few nights.

Thanks a lot!
Has Anyone else been? Whats the best thing at the conference do you think??
Bernabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Brons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,456
Re: Warren Buffet Conference.

You can actually call Berkshire Hathaway if you need help with hotels etc.
Brons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
banned
 
Bernabus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Being mindf*ked by Memento
Posts: 1,260
Re: Warren Buffet Conference.

Ye, they've got a number to call if you live outside the US. Id figure id just give posting in here a shot before that. Maybe someone in heres got some good knowledge of good hotels, cos 35000+ ppl will be goin lol.

+ When i speak on the phone theyll constantly be saying "Whaaat" cos im from scotland
LOL
Bernabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Brons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,456
Re: Warren Buffet Conference.

By the way: post a trip report. I've been thinking of going sometime too. I want to be there before Buffett dies so I have a story to tell.

Maybe next year.
Brons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
banned
 
Bernabus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Being mindf*ked by Memento
Posts: 1,260
Re: Warren Buffet Conference.

Ye ill be def keeping a diary. Total once in a lifetime experience imo. Guys a complete leg.
Thanks for your input bro
Bernabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
nuclear500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 7,542
Re: Warren Buffet Conference.

I wonder how the B split will effect attendance from now on.

My guess is not much. If anything its going to be down this year "due to the economy". The A holders who attend will still attend. In the future though I suspect only local attendance would increase as local folk who weren't holders before are now holders so they'll get their little postcard in the mail.

I too would like to go before he kicks the bucket or loses his mind and isn't as funny/interesting as others say he is.
nuclear500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
slickpoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,574
Re: Warren Buffet Conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear500 View Post
I wonder how the B split will effect attendance from now on.

My guess is not much. If anything its going to be down this year "due to the economy". The A holders who attend will still attend. In the future though I suspect only local attendance would increase as local folk who weren't holders before are now holders so they'll get their little postcard in the mail.

I too would like to go before he kicks the bucket or loses his mind and isn't as funny/interesting as others say he is.
I thought they opened it up to non-shareholders several years ago, so the split is irrelevant.
slickpoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
nuclear500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 7,542
Re: Warren Buffet Conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickpoppa View Post
I thought they opened it up to non-shareholders several years ago, so the split is irrelevant.
Hm. Wasn't aware of that.

But nevertheless...it still does - and for the very reason I didn't realize it.

Now that they are shareholders they will get the post card asking about attendance.

But I don't know how many new long term holders there will actually be.
nuclear500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
banned
 
Bernabus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Being mindf*ked by Memento
Posts: 1,260
Re: Warren Buffet Conference.

I wasnt aware of that they opened it up to non-shareholders aswell?
How good are your sources?

EDIT: Do you mean the whole '50-1 split' thing?

Last edited by Bernabus; 02-09-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Bernabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
veteran
 
campfirewest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,212
Re: Warren Buffet Conference.

I was there a few weeks ago with my MBA class. He does a couple of days a year where he talks to MBA students. He said we were all invited to the shareholder meeting. I didn't realize it was already open to non shareholders, so thats pretty funny.

We stayed at the downtown Doubletree, which was nice. The market area downtown was cool, although it got down to -20F the night we were there, so we didn't do too much bar hopping. I did take a cab across the river to play poker at the Horseshoe, which has a pretty nice poker room.
campfirewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
old hand
 
otis_nixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: eating cheeseburgers
Posts: 1,751
Re: Warren Buffet Conference.

I was there last year. I'd recommend staying at Embassy Suites downtown, it's very nice and not as expensive as you'd think.

Horseshoe is a good casino over the border in Iowa, and if you go across to Iowa and south there is a strip club in a barn called the playhouse with dirty dirty women, it's such a dive and we saw some crazy-ass stuff go down. Since they somehow got it zoned as "performance theater" rather than the "semen-filled cesspool" you can bring your own alcohol. We brought a keg in, they said if it fits through the door you can bring it in, I don't know if this is still the policy. Beats the **** out of spearmint rhino, $100 goes a really really long way.

I thought the dinner/bbq the night before the meeting pretty much sucked it was just way too crowded. They have a big jewelry store Berkshire owns called Borsheim's and if you're a shareholder you get a pretty good discount.

So I would say
1) Buy jewelry at Borsheims
2) Eat steak at this place called Mahogany's that's kinda out in a suburb but it wasn't too pricy and it was good prime beef
3) Go play at horseshoe and then hit the playhouse

Any other questions, PM me
otis_nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #12
old hand
 
otis_nixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: eating cheeseburgers
Posts: 1,751
Re: Warren Buffet Conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernabus View Post
I wasnt aware of that they opened it up to non-shareholders aswell?
How good are your sources?

EDIT: Do you mean the whole '50-1 split' thing?
Since people were scalping passes and they thought that was lame for the last few years Berkshire sells passes on eBay for like $10 apiece or something.
otis_nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bills217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Catlanta
Posts: 7,167
Re: Warren Buffet Conference.

Damn. I've done the whole experience (Meeting, Omaha beef, Horseshoe), but not the playhouse...I may have to make another trip...
bills217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #14
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
nuclear500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 7,542
Re: Warren Buffet Conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis_nixon View Post
Since people were scalping passes and they thought that was lame for the last few years Berkshire sells passes on eBay for like $10 apiece or something.
Oh thats right, I remember them talking about that after the 2008 conference now.. They made a big deal of people paying people to stand in line for them so they could rush into the theatre and get a good seat.
nuclear500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #15
banned
 
Bernabus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Being mindf*ked by Memento
Posts: 1,260
Re: Warren Buffet Conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis_nixon View Post
I was there last year. I'd recommend staying at Embassy Suites downtown, it's very nice and not as expensive as you'd think.

Horseshoe is a good casino over the border in Iowa, and if you go across to Iowa and south there is a strip club in a barn called the playhouse with dirty dirty women, it's such a dive and we saw some crazy-ass stuff go down. Since they somehow got it zoned as "performance theater" rather than the "semen-filled cesspool" you can bring your own alcohol. We brought a keg in, they said if it fits through the door you can bring it in, I don't know if this is still the policy. Beats the **** out of spearmint rhino, $100 goes a really really long way.

I thought the dinner/bbq the night before the meeting pretty much sucked it was just way too crowded. They have a big jewelry store Berkshire owns called Borsheim's and if you're a shareholder you get a pretty good discount.

So I would say
1) Buy jewelry at Borsheims
2) Eat steak at this place called Mahogany's that's kinda out in a suburb but it wasn't too pricy and it was good prime beef
3) Go play at horseshoe and then hit the playhouse

Any other questions, PM me
This is EXACTLY the kind of reply i was hoping for. thanks a lot mate, ill def write these things down.
I think Borsheims is where one of the conferences is being held. Or somethings being done there anyways, so ill be going there.

Since my dad HATES gambling, and HATES me doing it, i dont think we will be heading to any casinos LOL

Thank for that great info mate

EDIT: Is that one of the burgers from that place in No#2 in your avatar? LOL
Bernabus is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive