Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Business, Finance, and Investing Making money, investing in markets, and running businesses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #151
Jzo19
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Jzo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Miami
Posts: 11,246
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Mom View Post
why not just take the deal since it was what the guy was originally looking for and it was pretty obv he wasn't going to get **** from barbara.
yeah , lol @ looking at barbara for anything ...

kind of felt bad for the "american" guy at the end , but he was kind of shortsighted for not considering offshoring ...he could have probably created more jobs in the long run if he lowered his manufacturing overhead overseas .
Jzo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #152
Henry17
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Henry17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: You've got a friend in me
Posts: 27,717
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCollins View Post
You are wrong, and by a factor of 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conz View Post
Kevin sold a business for $3b, but is only worth $300m?
$3.8B so that is why I estimated his net worth as being much higher. That was over ten years ago and he makes it sound like he owned most of it. He did pretty well on a few smaller things since then. He is pretty secretive about it which made me think it would be lower than people would think but I would never guess $300M low.

At one point he made a comment to Robert on the Dragon's Den that implied he was worth at least 10-20x Robert's net worth.
Henry17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #153
TomCollins
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TomCollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Blockchain
Posts: 42,442
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry17 View Post
$3.8B so that is why I estimated his net worth as being much higher. That was over ten years ago and he makes it sound like he owned most of it. He did pretty well on a few smaller things since then. He is pretty secretive about it which made me think it would be lower than people would think but I would never guess $300M low.

At one point he made a comment to Robert on the Dragon's Den that implied he was worth at least 10-20x Robert's net worth.
Yeah, he sold the company for that much but it's not like he had 100% ownership. Robert's net worth is about $100M. These guys are doing quite well, but aren't even in the same ballpark as Cuban.

It was funny how the guy tried to get all sappy with Robert about "Made in 'Merica", and him being Canadian. Even funnier when Robert almost pretended to not be Canadian and talked about his father coming to "America", which is factually accurate but misleading.
TomCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #154
straightaway
adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,041
Re: The Shark Tank

Didn't Kevin say he had 100% of the business he sold for $3B in one of the past episodes
straightaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #155
Conz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Conz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,473
Re: The Shark Tank

the pickup guy was just hiding his ignorance, i know he meant well but you know behind closed doors he says stuff like "im not about to have some "insert racial slur here" make my product! god bless america!"
Conz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #156
-Insert Witty SN-
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
-Insert Witty SN-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 14,822
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conz View Post
celebritynetworth.com?

Kevin sold a business for $3b, but is only worth $300m?

Cuban is $2.5b. Holy crap, Barbara is $1.5b
damn, i didn't think barbara was a billionaire, she's awesome. anyways, to me it seems like this season the sharks are way more adversarial and lecture-y than last season. it's kind of annoying.

is cuban a fixture now or will they be having other guest sharks? does anyone know?
-Insert Witty SN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #157
NxtWrldChamp
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NxtWrldChamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LEVEL 10
Posts: 8,944
Re: The Shark Tank

pretty sure Cuban is a fixture for this season. He is easily my favorite guy on there.
NxtWrldChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #158
Your Mom
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: grinding out a mediocre living
Posts: 12,870
Re: The Shark Tank

cuban makes the show.
Your Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #159
johnsmiley1
stranger
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9
Re: The Shark Tank

I just read Kevin's book... I'd estimate his net worth to be $150-250 million. There is just no way he owned more than 10% of the company he eventually sold to Mattel! The book talks about the companies journey in great detail - when the company started out and only had a small handful of employees he was desperate as **** for money (even borrowed $10k from his mom at one point so he could make payroll), and there is no way investors were sinking money into it unless they were getting the lions share of ownership. The company expanded primarily by buying other companies, as opposed to natural growth, which would have diluted Kevins ownership even more each time (he would own a smaller % of a larger company after each acquisition), and by the time the company was sold for almost $4b Kevin probably made about $300-350 billion pre-tax. Mattel quickly dumped his ass after they bought his company (the company turned out to be a lemon, and Mattel sued Kevin), and he then started working for BNN, and eventually got picked up by the CBC for Land & O'Leary exchange and then Dragons Den. This significant media exposure helped him build a valuable brand around himself, and now he is the face of a basket of mutual funds called "O'leary Funds" which I'm sure is making him bank (he talks as if he is the guy leading the investment team, but really he's just marketing the funds and promoting them as play on dividend paying stocks). I would imagine Kevin is also getting paid pretty well from Shark Tank too, but I'm not an expert on US TV (Canadian TV pays **** lol)
johnsmiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #160
TomCollins
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TomCollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Blockchain
Posts: 42,442
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Insert Witty SN- View Post
damn, i didn't think barbara was a billionaire, she's awesome. anyways, to me it seems like this season the sharks are way more adversarial and lecture-y than last season. it's kind of annoying.

is cuban a fixture now or will they be having other guest sharks? does anyone know?
I'm shocked she's worth that much, she seems cheap as hell and seemed to be only a token panelist since she never does anything unless there is a female selling herself with a sob story.
TomCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #161
mindflayer
old hand
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: On the Edge of the Vancouver Bubble
Posts: 1,385
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmiley1 View Post
I just read Kevin's book... I'd estimate his net worth to be $150-250 million. There is just no way he owned more than 10% of the company he eventually sold to Mattel! The book talks about the companies journey in great detail - when the company started out and only had a small handful of employees he was desperate as **** for money (even borrowed $10k from his mom at one point so he could make payroll), and there is no way investors were sinking money into it unless they were getting the lions share of ownership. The company expanded primarily by buying other companies, as opposed to natural growth, which would have diluted Kevins ownership even more each time (he would own a smaller % of a larger company after each acquisition), and by the time the company was sold for almost $4b Kevin probably made about $300-350 billion pre-tax. Mattel quickly dumped his ass after they bought his company (the company turned out to be a lemon, and Mattel sued Kevin), and he then started working for BNN, and eventually got picked up by the CBC for Land & O'Leary exchange and then Dragons Den. This significant media exposure helped him build a valuable brand around himself, and now he is the face of a basket of mutual funds called "O'leary Funds" which I'm sure is making him bank (he talks as if he is the guy leading the investment team, but really he's just marketing the funds and promoting them as play on dividend paying stocks). I would imagine Kevin is also getting paid pretty well from Shark Tank too, but I'm not an expert on US TV (Canadian TV pays **** lol)
I think you mean $300-350 Million pretax.
His show is called the Lang & O'leary Exchange.
Amanda Lang and Kevin O'leary.

I watch it all the time and it is like watching beauty and the beast..
or Simon Cowell and Paula Abdul after they have to listen to some out of tune singer and then give their opinion.

Amanda usually says.. this company is having problems because of xyz..
Kevin usually shoots back with ... "they should be fired.. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, if they think they are going to abc.. they are crazy."
mindflayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #162
FTPdelaysuck
grinder
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 607
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCollins View Post
I'm shocked she's worth that much, she seems cheap as hell and seemed to be only a token panelist since she never does anything unless there is a female selling herself with a sob story.
I would doubt that is worth 1.5 billion. she sold her company the corcoran group for $66 million. I'm sure she's worth a lot more than that but 1.5 billion is unlikely. That being said, I don't think she's a token panelist. She's tenacious and completely self made -- in NYC real estate she's a legend.
FTPdelaysuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #163
ezmogee
CardRunners Sponsored Forum
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: @EzraMoGee
Posts: 1,301
Re: The Shark Tank

Yeah, actually in season 1 Barabara made a lot of big deals so she's def not cheap. Kevin actually comes off as the nitiest, fwiw. Even Daymond gambles from time to time.

Cuban for sure makes the show, but (maybe surprisingly) my wife really doesn't like him. She hated the way he shut down and "taught a lesson" to the sales guy. Would be interesting to focus group and see if women like his style. I think he's great (as do, it seems, most of the other posters) but it might not be unanimous.

I think Robert's awesome too. He's definitely the biggest gentleman on the show.

Ps, I really like the cat guy. I wouldve bought at a $40k valuation.

Ezra
ezmogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #164
PrimordialAA
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
PrimordialAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vanccccccc
Posts: 11,654
Re: The Shark Tank

haha, when I went out w/my wife today, randomly getting out of the car she busted out:

"I want to draw a cat for you.... I want to draw a cat for you"

... absurd ;-p
PrimordialAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #165
rothko
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: :noitacoL
Posts: 8,206
Re: The Shark Tank

Kevin specifically structures his offers so that they won't be accepted or rather knowing that they won't be. No other shark/dragon does this on the 3 series that I am familiar with: UK, Canada, USA.

Draw your own conclusions.
rothko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #166
Rikers
veteran
 
Rikers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in a moment
Posts: 2,256
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothko View Post
Kevin specifically structures his offers so that they won't be accepted or rather knowing that they won't be. No other shark/dragon does this on the 3 series that I am familiar with: UK, Canada, USA.

Draw your own conclusions.
VC gets 1 of 10 projects cash positive 20 years ago, today it's 1 in every 25. Even on shartank 2 out of 3 projects don't pass do diligence after the handshake, and this is even before they start investing....

so can't blame Kevin....

statistically that guy with "I want to draw a cat for you" is a investment nightmare....
Rikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #167
dc_publius
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,993
Re: The Shark Tank

Is there a post-Shark Tank web site that follows what happened to these people, 3, 6, 12 months after?
dc_publius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #168
Henry17
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Henry17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: You've got a friend in me
Posts: 27,717
Re: The Shark Tank

On Dragon's Den they do give you updates every so often but usually only the feel good stories about success.
Henry17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #169
TomCollins
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TomCollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Blockchain
Posts: 42,442
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikers View Post
VC gets 1 of 10 projects cash positive 20 years ago, today it's 1 in every 25. Even on shartank 2 out of 3 projects don't pass do diligence after the handshake, and this is even before they start investing....

so can't blame Kevin....

statistically that guy with "I want to draw a cat for you" is a investment nightmare....
The cat guy looks like he already has expanded into songwriting ($99.95 each) with someone else writing the songs. 1500 cats already drawn. As this fad wears out, he probably will be able to expand into other fads quickly and do fairly well for himself.
TomCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #170
Recliner
old hand
 
Recliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Left hanging
Posts: 1,807
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTPdelaysuck View Post
I would doubt that is worth 1.5 billion. she sold her company the corcoran group for $66 million. I'm sure she's worth a lot more than that but 1.5 billion is unlikely. That being said, I don't think she's a token panelist. She's tenacious and completely self made -- in NYC real estate she's a legend.
I can't figure out where the 1.5 billion came from either. The Corcoran group apparently published a newsletter. She likely owned property outside of that business, but I still don't see how that would get her to 1.5 billion.
Recliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #171
rothko
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: :noitacoL
Posts: 8,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikers View Post
VC gets 1 of 10 projects cash positive 20 years ago, today it's 1 in every 25. Even on shartank 2 out of 3 projects don't pass do diligence after the handshake, and this is even before they start investing....

so can't blame Kevin....
Either you missed my point or I missed yours.
rothko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #172
TomCollins
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TomCollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Blockchain
Posts: 42,442
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recliner View Post
I can't figure out where the 1.5 billion came from either. The Corcoran group apparently published a newsletter. She likely owned property outside of that business, but I still don't see how that would get her to 1.5 billion.
NYC real estate is really expensive. If you got in early enough on it, leveraged, and waited a while, it's not that hard to come by.

The business was a newsletter and also it appears to be realtors or something of the same. My guess is she must have had her own property on the side.
TomCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #173
Conz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Conz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,473
Re: The Shark Tank

just thought up a new invention for Cuban to invest in. it's a diet plan -- we launch with a book and an app. It's just disgusting, unsettling images. So next time you want to snack like a fatty, you open your book/app, and look at open wounds, vomit, crap, tumors etc. and lose your appetite.

someone create it. We'll split 70% of the company and sell the other 30% to Cuban for $50k. who's down?
Conz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:26 AM   #174
Recliner
old hand
 
Recliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Left hanging
Posts: 1,807
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conz View Post
just thought up a new invention for Cuban to invest in. it's a diet plan -- we launch with a book and an app. It's just disgusting, unsettling images. So next time you want to snack like a fatty, you open your book/app, and look at open wounds, vomit, crap, tumors etc. and lose your appetite.

someone create it. We'll split 70% of the company and sell the other 30% to Cuban for $50k. who's down?
Instead of nasty images, make it a game with point. People love points more than they love food.

To be fair, the cat guy had shown the ability to execute his idea in a cash flow positive way. While his idea is stupid, he was still able to make money off of his idea. Cuban's investment isn't likely to get a huge return, but it's unlikely that he doesn't come out having made money.
Recliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:36 AM   #175
Rikers
veteran
 
Rikers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in a moment
Posts: 2,256
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothko View Post
Either you missed my point or I missed yours.
he wants to control the process, and I don't blame him - most of those people know nothing about business,....so 51%+, or get compensation on failed investments in VC so a big percentage. similar a bank would adjust interest rates based on risk of general defaults.

also since he invests 5% portfolio on vc there is a constrain on how much risk he would take with that money...

all of that calculations are derived from number of vc project that go cash positive
Rikers is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online