Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Business, Finance, and Investing Making money, investing in markets, and running businesses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #26
Didispride
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 15
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafTheSnowman View Post
Your mom can fly from Newark to Houston on Aug 4 for $95, or $77 if you go buy the ticket in person to avoid Spirits "passenger usage charge"
Those people are thieves! When I was looking at tickets it was showing at the very least $250. Thanks alot for the tip.
Didispride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:40 PM   #27
Didispride
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 15
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmasahinducow View Post
OP,

Tell me more about your theory that robbing a bank is a victimless crime.
I am not talking about armed robbery, robbers that decide to take people hostage, thieves that orchestrate heists, etc. Most of the time nowadays the robbers simply hands us a note, we give them the money, and they leave peacefully. That is the type of robbery I am talking about.There is a limit to how much money we have in our drawer at one time so they can only get away with so much cash. The bank has insurance to cover the stolen money.
Didispride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #28
Didispride
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 15
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothSayer View Post
Seriously, try https://www.gofundme.com/

You're female, young, have sad family issues, "look distinctive", and have a low target. All perfect to get people to pay up. If not you, it'll just be some other scam. You might even make well over the amount you want. And you don't need to pay back.

"20 yo + want to go back to college + mom plane fare + mentally ill brother", perfect. Just sell it as a bunch of stuff that happened all once and now you're underwater.

I think you just need a Facebook account.
Thank you for the advice. I am going to look into that.
Didispride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #29
Didace
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Didace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 11,263
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didispride View Post
The bank has insurance to cover the stolen money.
So the insurance company is the victim?
Didace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #30
redbuck
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: S GA
Posts: 1,538
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

Actually you and I are the victims. Every time Didispride robs a bank our rates go up on others policies in order to pay for his dastardly deeds.
Just unreal...
redbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #31
Didispride
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 15
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbuck View Post
Actually you and I are the victims. Every time Didispride robs a bank our rates go up on others policies in order to pay for his dastardly deeds.
Just unreal...
You sound like you don't read. Sorry, but I am not a thief and don't plan on becoming one. It is her not his, I am a woman which you would know if you actually read. You sound unintelligent because believe me when I tell you that bank robberies are definitely not the reason why your bank rates go up.
But yes, I guess the insurance company is the one that is the victim. I honestly have no sympathy for an insurance company.

Anyway thanks for the advice everyone.
Didispride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #32
Didace
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Didace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 11,263
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didispride View Post
But yes, I guess the insurance company is the one that is the victim. I honestly have no sympathy for an insurance company.
Where do you think insurance companies get the money to pay claims?
Didace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #33
redbuck
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: S GA
Posts: 1,538
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

A 20 year old female bank robber with hate in her ample bosom for insurance companies - kinky...
redbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #34
wil318466
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Trumpland
Posts: 18,196
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

From what I hear the street rate on borrowing is 30% paid over 10 weeks. So 5k is 1500 interest, 650 a week for 10 weeks. So in her case 3500 is 455 a week. So 1800 a month. Obviously no one in their right minds would hand her 3500 at the street rate if she makes 1700 a month. Also, street guys won't lend to unknowns without references or 3rd party guarantors. And many will not deal with a female under any circumstances.

That's what people tell me, anyway.

Last edited by wil318466; 07-11-2017 at 11:22 AM.
wil318466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #35
ToothSayer
Pooh-Bah
 
ToothSayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,786
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
From what I hear the street rate on borrowing is 30% paid over 10 weeks.
Expect a PM soon.
Quote:
And many will not deal with a female under any circumstances.
This is hilarious. Is it because of white knights? The fact that you can't brutalize them as easy?
ToothSayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #36
wil318466
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Trumpland
Posts: 18,196
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothSayer View Post
This is hilarious. Is it because of white knights? The fact that you can't brutalize them as easy?
Lending money is a game and as with any game there are rules. As was explained to me, you never lend money to people you can't hurt. And in general, threatening or terrorizing a woman is bad for business.

They cry, complain, and some truly believe no one will do anything to them because they are females (not to mention more likely to simply go to the police). And in general they are correct. So they are to be avoided at all costs, and if anyone finds out you did business with a woman you are considered a sucker.

It's quite amusing.
wil318466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #37
NLSoldier
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NLSoldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hello Ted
Posts: 23,502
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

check out lendingclub.com
NLSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #38
Abbaddabba
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,103
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

https://www.seekingarrangement.com
Abbaddabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:49 PM   #39
ToothSayer
Pooh-Bah
 
ToothSayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,786
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
Lending money is a game and as with any game there are rules. As was explained to me, you never lend money to people you can't hurt. And in general, threatening or terrorizing a woman is bad for business.

They cry, complain, and some truly believe no one will do anything to them because they are females (not to mention more likely to simply go to the police). And in general they are correct. So they are to be avoided at all costs, and if anyone finds out you did business with a woman you are considered a sucker.

It's quite amusing.
This is hilarious. It's pretty obvious why now that you explain it, but something that never occurred to me. Of course you wouldn't loan shark in that situation.

We need a "ask me anything about being a scummy loan shark" thread in BFI.

I guess personality disorders come into it too. Men are far more likely to have money problems because they're gamblers, but they're also usually sane apart from the gambling problem. And employed. Women with money problems tend to either not be employed or have personality disorders pretty often I would say. God help someone collecting from a personality disorder.
ToothSayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:00 PM   #40
wil318466
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Trumpland
Posts: 18,196
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

There are many understandable and rational reasons why a person would borrow money at 30% in only ten weeks. Some are for quick flips where they know they will make a tidy profit but don't have the capital and some of it is simply for a bridge loan until a large payment comes in. Some even do it to avoid taking out a real loan and risk having their wives finding out.

Bookies and.."people who sell things" are the usual clientele. The vast majority are completely rational and surprisingly dependable, they understand the inherent risks of borrowing large amounts of cash. It's business, and they need to keep up their credit worthiness at all times to ensure they don't go out of business due to a minor setback, which happens to almost everyone. It's very understandable and works well when everyone follows the rules.

At least, from what I hear.
wil318466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:10 PM   #41
smoothcriminal99
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 711
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

I don't know about large businesses but a lot of time for small businesses your boss will agree to do an advance of pay if you explain the circumstances. If not they'll make up some reason to give you overtime that week. Also family and friends are obviously the best choice. Getting a stranger to agree to giving you any line of credit is rare simply because of the scam risk.

Also I'm not sure about specific states but I'm pretty sure a lot of states have rules that over 18% or some high interest rate is illegal and considered racketeering
smoothcriminal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #42
ToothSayer
Pooh-Bah
 
ToothSayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,786
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
There are many understandable and rational reasons why a person would borrow money at 30% in only ten weeks. Some are for quick flips where they know they will make a tidy profit but don't have the capital and some of it is simply for a bridge loan until a large payment comes in. Some even do it to avoid taking out a real loan and risk having their wives finding out.

Bookies and.."people who sell things" are the usual clientele. The vast majority are completely rational and surprisingly dependable, they understand the inherent risks of borrowing large amounts of cash. It's business, and they need to keep up their credit worthiness at all times to ensure they don't go out of business due to a minor setback, which happens to almost everyone. It's very understandable and works well when everyone follows the rules.

At least, from what I hear.
"What you hear" is really interesting. I always assumed the loan sharks were for desperate people or gamblers, but I guess is makes little sense to lend to desperate people or gamblers. I never imagined you could put together an honest (if not legal) loan sharking business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothcriminal99 View Post
I don't know about large businesses but a lot of time for small businesses your boss will agree to do an advance of pay if you explain the circumstances. If not they'll make up some reason to give you overtime that week. Also family and friends are obviously the best choice. Getting a stranger to agree to giving you any line of credit is rare simply because of the scam risk.

Also I'm not sure about specific states but I'm pretty sure a lot of states have rules that over 18% or some high interest rate is illegal and considered racketeering
Yeah a loan from someone at work, maybe even a boss, might be the way to go here. OP said she'd exhausted all options. If you have a stable job they know your character and they know you're paying back. People know that **** happens and can pretty nice if they know you.
ToothSayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #43
Larry Legend
Isaiah GOAT
 
Larry Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Let's go celtics
Posts: 40,714
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didispride View Post
Thanks for the link.
Read like the first 10 pages. There is something wrong with OP, I honestly think he is mentally ill. I hope he is doing better now. I see that the user "El Diablo" knows some people but I have no way to contact him, I am not allowed to private message anyone yet. I will continue reading to see if I can get other useful info.
I gotta say this is a fairly great post.
Larry Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:45 PM   #44
wil318466
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Trumpland
Posts: 18,196
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothSayer View Post
"What you hear" is really interesting. I always assumed the loan sharks were for desperate people or gamblers, but I guess is makes little sense to lend to desperate people or gamblers. I never imagined you could put together an honest (if not legal) loan sharking business.
No one wants to lend money to people who can't repay them. The best business is reliable business. If someone is trustworthy and simply needs to buy time (and really, that's what loansharked money is - buying time), of course you lend them the money at a ~150% annualized rate. Letting someone borrow 10k and making 3k profit in ten weeks is great. You literally make 300 dollars a week profit for doing nothing, and both parties are happy because the borrower fixed his problems by paying a fee which helped him out in a tight spot. Most people who go to the street for money need it immediately, and good loansharks always have funds available.

Desperate people are fine as long as they have assets or collateral. True deadbeats, like someone who wants to borrow the money and try to gamble their way out of debt and have no assets, are mostly shunned. Even if they are scared of you, if they can't pay you, they simply can't pay you. They are to be avoided.

It's all very civil when trustworthy people are involved. It's just business.
wil318466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:33 AM   #45
unfrgvn
old hand
 
unfrgvn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Easy Street
Posts: 1,717
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
It's all very civil when trustworthy people are involved. It's just business.
It's all fun and games until Grama buys your debt for ten cents on the dollar and you find out the vig was running while you were in prison.
unfrgvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:44 AM   #46
NickyC
old hand
 
NickyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Guaranteed to bust the nut low
Posts: 1,734
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

I love posters like wil318466. I learn things about life that I'd never otherwise know.
NickyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #47
rainmaker1855
adept
 
rainmaker1855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 736
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfrgvn View Post
It's all fun and games until Grama buys your debt for ten cents on the dollar and you find out the vig was running while you were in prison.
how much was it total, according to his crazy f'n gorilla math?
rainmaker1855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #48
unfrgvn
old hand
 
unfrgvn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Easy Street
Posts: 1,717
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

Like 15.
unfrgvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:50 PM   #49
jalexand42
Hypothetical Ubermonkey
 
jalexand42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Open Shoving My Range
Posts: 4,981
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfrgvn View Post
It's all fun and games until Grama buys your debt for ten cents on the dollar and you find out the vig was running while you were in prison.
Sigh crap, now I want to watch that movie again. :P
jalexand42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #50
wil318466
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Trumpland
Posts: 18,196
Re: I am looking for a private lender/"loan shark", does anyone know one?



"Behold the Opulence"

Christ, 1997 Taj Mahal..it'll never be like that again. Ever.
wil318466 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online