Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views, and gossip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 11:52 PM   #51
FeedmyKitty
banned
 
FeedmyKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: waiting for fruit to ripen
Posts: 140
Re: WCGRider / Ben86 dispute....

Think the plo edge is too big rgd hu challenge

Also I dunno if the coaching thing merits a callout, I mean things do happen. Only way I see Ben being wrong is if he knew he wouldn't coach wcg or did not tell him there was a chance he wouldn't. Seems like he at least mentioned it wasn't 100% his decision so i dunno why the sour grapes if that's the case.

I don't get teh doug bashing either tho
FeedmyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:54 PM   #52
CheckRais3r
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 21
Re: WCGRider / Ben86 dispute....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayth View Post
is that even a thing, I was unaware doug was hated or that ben was loved, community means small group of high stakes buddies or something?
Maybe it's just me but I think that Ben86 is one of the most respectful proffessional poker players out there. I don't know him personally but he seems to be a really good and humble guy from what I heard on Joey podcasts along with many people opinions whereas Doug seems to be basically the opposite (just read his BIO on twitch and tell me what do you think about it)

But again, maybe it's just me.
CheckRais3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:55 PM   #53
SSKS
old hand
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,385
Re: WCGRider / Ben86 dispute....

if ben did mention among the lines "hey, i gotta let my partner know if im allowed to discuss PLO after receiving your NLHE lessons" and if doug agrees and said "yes"

then im sure ther is nothing wrong here
but if he said it after he received the lessons, then yes... there is something wrong


and please dont tell me you both moved in the same apartment in vancouver again lmao

edit: the awkward elevator silence with binks on dougs holding
SSKS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:58 PM   #54
AuroraCee
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 321
Re: WCGRider / Ben86 dispute....

I'd be on ben86 side $$$ if they battle x amount of hands plo / nl on stars ... im sure 86 has been in the lab doing his thing, where polk has been drooling out lately (10hrs /day +) on a muppet site (wsop) playing muppet stakes (.1-.2 etc)
AuroraCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:58 PM   #55
fishfood69er
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Risking My Ruin
Posts: 1,018
Re: WCGRider / Ben86 dispute....

washin dirty undies in public , and we thank you . haha
fishfood69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:01 AM   #56
IPlayNLHE
adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 782
Re: Recent dealings with GPL CEO Alex Dreyfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckRais3r View Post
This is the funniest thing I┤ve ever read in my life. Ask yourself why you are one of the most hated people in the poker community and why Ben is one of the most loved.
Everyone hates the best.
IPlayNLHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:05 AM   #57
Monorail
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 911
Re: Recent dealings with GPL CEO Alex Dreyfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben86 View Post
Alright I guess we're doing it. Here's what happened, this was about 4 years ago. Doug moves to my building in Van and we hangout a couple times and talk about swapping NL and PLO coaching. I am interested, I think it's a good idea. Doug coaches me first, I think about 4 sessions and half of that focused on a hu match. I sell him a piece and we do really well. I tell him I have to talk to my partner in PLO (who is on his way out of poker) before we can talk PLO. The guy I did all of my work with. I am confident that since my partner is leaving poker and we have done extremely well together that there is no way sharing with Doug will be a problem, and I'm thinking he will get pieces of the action so this is just positive for everyone. My partner surprises me and says no. I have to respect it, so I apologize to Doug and say I can't do it. I still did let him sweat me a few times and we talked a little about PLO, but nothing great. I admit he got shorted, and it was not my intention. I sincerely thought it would be fine and once my partner said no I had no options.
Huh? Of course you had options. Your options were to either welch on the agreement you made with Doug, or make good on your agreement with him by going against your partner's wishes. And you chose to short Doug, as you readily admit.

I don't know either of you, but don't play the 'my hands were completely tied!' card when they plainly weren't. You put yourself in a bad spot by not running it by your partner first, but you still had options available to you, and you decided to short Doug.
Monorail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:08 AM   #58
IPlayNLHE
adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 782
Re: Recent dealings with GPL CEO Alex Dreyfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monorail View Post
Huh? Of course you had options. Your options were to either welch on the agreement you made with Doug, or make good on your agreement with him by going against your partner's wishes. And you chose to short Doug, as you readily admit.

I don't know either of you, but don't play the 'my hands were completely tied!' card when they plainly weren't. You put yourself in a bad spot by not running it by your partner first, but you still had options available to you, and you decided to short Doug.
I agree and if he knew there was a possibility the PLO coaching wouldn't happen he should have clearly stated so. The way it seems Doug didn't know.
IPlayNLHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:09 AM   #59
CheckRais3r
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 21
Re: Recent dealings with GPL CEO Alex Dreyfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPlayNLHE View Post
Everyone hates the best.
Not me.
CheckRais3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:13 AM   #60
Vas Deferens
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: At yours.
Posts: 210
Re: WCGRider / Ben86 dispute....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckRais3r View Post
Maybe it's just me but I think that Ben86 is one of the most respectful proffessional poker players out there. I don't know him personally but he seems to be a really good and humble guy from what I heard on Joey podcasts along with many people opinions whereas Doug seems to be basically the opposite (just read his BIO on twitch and tell me what do you think about it)

But again, maybe it's just me.
Seems thats right,maybe it is just you.
Vas Deferens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:14 AM   #61
lostinthesaus
old hand
 
lostinthesaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,338
Re: Recent dealings with GPL CEO Alex Dreyfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben86 View Post
we hangout a couple times and talk about swapping NL and PLO coaching. I am interested, I think it's a good idea. Doug coaches me first, I think about 4 sessions and half of that focused on a hu match. I sell him a piece and we do really well. I tell him I have to talk to my partner in PLO (who is on his way out of poker) before we can talk PLO. The guy I did all of my work with.
There are some strings that need to be pulled here:

1) Doesn't seem like Doug would agree to give coaching on NL and THEN have the discussion about your PLO info agreements where it's told to him that you may or may not be able to reciprocate coaching. I'm not sure if you intended it to seem that was as written above, but the sequential order of things does not seem probable.

However if it was known to Doug that there is a chance that you may NOT be able to give PLO coaching but would still continue on a coaching/shared action agreement, well that seems reasonable. I just can't deduce what occurred based on what you wrote.

2) If the agreement was straight up NL for PLO coaching and no other complexities, does selling him the NL piece after the coaching and doing really well justify not having to hold up your end of the agreement with Doug?

3) If the guy you needed permission from is leaving poker, why does it matter? Seems like either he's not really leaving poker or there's something else going on that's not been disclosed.
lostinthesaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:15 AM   #62
TimStone
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TimStone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: certainly not Pokerstars lol
Posts: 7,207
Re: Recent dealings with GPL CEO Alex Dreyfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPlayNLHE View Post
Everyone hates the best.
According to Ben86 allegedly best
TimStone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:17 AM   #63
lostinthesaus
old hand
 
lostinthesaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,338
Re: WCGRider / Ben86 dispute....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedmyKitty View Post
Think the plo edge is too big rgd hu challenge

Also I dunno if the coaching thing merits a callout, I mean things do happen. Only way I see Ben being wrong is if he knew he wouldn't coach wcg or did not tell him there was a chance he wouldn't. Seems like he at least mentioned it wasn't 100% his decision so i dunno why the sour grapes if that's the case.

I don't get teh doug bashing either tho
Just need to clarify if this mention occurred before or after their agreement and the NL coaching took place.
lostinthesaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:24 AM   #64
Hoopster81
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Hoopster81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Posts: 7,088
Re: WCGRider / Ben86 dispute....

the partner was barcode?
Hoopster81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:29 AM   #65
Mindfulness
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 47
Re: WCGRider / Ben86 dispute....

If you add up the list of people in the poker community that Doug attacks you will have a list of some of the most well liked and well respected members of the high stakes community. Doug is no doubt an excellent poker player, but this constant stream of negativity and drama will not win him over new fans. Calling Ben a scumbag over this is clearly projection. Doug has many inner demons.
Mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:43 AM   #66
StraightFlooosh
grinder
 
StraightFlooosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Iowa City, IA
Posts: 644
Re: WCGRider / Ben86 dispute....

In all fairness PLO coaching is probably worth double what NL coaching is because.... Duh 4 cards to 2 cards.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StraightFlooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:44 AM   #67
TreadLightly
old hand
 
TreadLightly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Braving the cold known as Canadia
Posts: 1,240
Re: WCGRider / Ben86 dispute....

Seems like Ben is in the wrong, then after throwing out that long reply with some details decides he 'wants nothing to do with this' when WCG says he is preparing something / proof etc i assume ?
TreadLightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:50 AM   #68
Wilbury Twist
Pooh-Bah
 
Wilbury Twist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 4977 miles from Kells
Posts: 3,855
Re: WCGRider / Ben86 dispute....

I just like that there was "popular demand."
Wilbury Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:57 AM   #69
NickMPK
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,070
Re: WCGRider / Ben86 dispute....

This seems like it should be a relatively minor issue, and Doug sounds like a jerk for bringing it up four years later. But that seems like how Doug sounds every time he says anything.

Yet it also appears that Doug is fundamentally right on the merits. They made a deal to trade coaching, with no stipulation from Ben at the beginning, and Ben welched on the deal with no attempt to pay restitution. Selling Doug a piece of action that he ultimately profited on was not part of the deal and occurred before Ben welched, so it basically irrelevant to the argument. If something happened that absolutely foreclosed the possibility of Ben providing the promised coached, Ben should have at least paid Doug a reasonable market rate for the coaching he had already been given in exchange.
NickMPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:10 AM   #70
donnie5
grinder
 
donnie5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: out of several elements
Posts: 420
Re: WCGRider / Ben86 dispute....

The bitchdome - two bitches enter...
Spoiler:
donnie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:15 AM   #71
b1ochemical
adept
 
b1ochemical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Montecito
Posts: 1,017
Re: Recent dealings with GPL CEO Alex Dreyfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTender31 View Post
Exactly my reaction. One of the funniest things i have read in a long time. jfc


EDIT: Post regarding the story, where they stayed awake until 5am and hugged it out.
b1ochemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:19 AM   #72
DrOlson
grinder
 
DrOlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 670
Re: Recent dealings with GPL CEO Alex Dreyfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben86 View Post
Alright I guess we're doing it. Here's what happened, this was about 4 years ago. Doug moves to my building in Van and we hangout a couple times and talk about swapping NL and PLO coaching. I am interested, I think it's a good idea. Doug coaches me first, I think about 4 sessions and half of that focused on a hu match. I sell him a piece and we do really well. I tell him I have to talk to my partner in PLO (who is on his way out of poker) before we can talk PLO. The guy I did all of my work with. I am confident that since my partner is leaving poker and we have done extremely well together that there is no way sharing with Doug will be a problem, and I'm thinking he will get pieces of the action so this is just positive for everyone. My partner surprises me and says no. I have to respect it, so I apologize to Doug and say I can't do it. I still did let him sweat me a few times and we talked a little about PLO, but nothing great. I admit he got shorted, and it was not my intention. I sincerely thought it would be fine and once my partner said no I had no options.
Why didn't you ask your partner about coaching Doug before receiving the NL coaching?
DrOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:21 AM   #73
SootedPowa
old hand
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,753
Re: WCGRider / Ben86 dispute....

Next PolkerNews immediately plz
SootedPowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:35 AM   #74
spewmonk3y
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Finland
Posts: 296
Re: WCGRider / Ben86 dispute....

hu4rollz seems the only option here
spewmonk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:50 AM   #75
CreamOfTheCrop
banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bates Motel
Posts: 453
Re: WCGRider / Ben86 dispute....

Don't you guys see their playing you guys for attention + drama.

A hu 4 rollz is here soon but it wont be real.
CreamOfTheCrop is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online