Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views, and gossip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
adept
 
blakeatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 855
View:Good players arent necessarily the best at poker;but the best at understandng current meta

Kind of a shower thought. I feel there is a difference in actually understanding the game of poker and understanding the current meta. Obviously poker is evolving day by day and when new meta is created there will be players who understand it better than others.

I believe this may be a reason why it is so difficult for people to perfect their understanding of the game. We are all trying to understand the current meta instead.
blakeatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: malta
Posts: 46
Re: View:Good players arent necessarily the best at poker;but the best at understandng current

What if I understand one meta, but not another?
fivefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
journeyman
 
Love_the_game's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 221
Re: View:Good players arent necessarily the best at poker;but the best at understandng current

i dont think they are mutually exclusive. i think great players are both fundamentally sound and understand the current meta
Love_the_game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
adept
 
blakeatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 855
That's what we call having leaks. :P
blakeatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
adept
 
blakeatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_the_game View Post
i dont think they are mutually exclusive. i think great players are both fundamentally sound and understand the current meta
Of course great players are. My point is that I think that there may be a good portion of good, respected players that excel in one or another and make money by excelling in that particular part of poker.
blakeatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
journeyman
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UTG
Posts: 327
Re: View:Good players arent necessarily the best at poker;but the best at understandng current

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeatron View Post
Kind of a shower thought. I feel there is a difference in actually understanding the game of poker and understanding the current meta. Obviously poker is evolving day by day and when new meta is created there will be players who understand it better than others.

I believe this may be a reason why it is so difficult for people to perfect their understanding of the game. We are all trying to understand the current meta instead.
This is what you think of in the shower ?

Seriously, you could stop at "poker is evolving" .....not sure what you mean by "current meta" versus "understanding of the game", if the game is evolving ?

Is "current meta" valid this hand, but not the next one ?
Gzesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:27 PM   #7
adept
 
blakeatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzesh View Post
This is what you think of in the shower ?

Seriously, you could stop at "poker is evolving" .....not sure what you mean by "current meta" versus "understanding of the game", if the game is evolving ?
No I didn't literally think of this in the shower -.-

Imo there is a perfect way to play poker that will result in making 0 mistakes (which nobody has figured out how to do and is what I mean by understanding the game).

We have developed solutions to some spots in which we deem "standard" because we believe at this time that this is the best way to make the least mistakes and the most money. Those who understand our current concepts of "standard" spots make a good, consistent winrate because they understand the meta better than their opponents. This doesn't mean they understand the game enough to make 0 mistakes and these "standard" spots that they know better than others may not be the most optimal options.
blakeatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:27 PM   #8
Pooh-Bah
 
sirswish6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: bed
Posts: 5,767
Re: View:Good players arent necessarily the best at poker;but the best at understandng current

what are you babbling about
sirswish6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #9
adept
 
Donk Quixote's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,037
Re: View:Good players arent necessarily the best at poker;but the best at understandng current

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeatron View Post
No I didn't literally think of this in the shower -.-

Imo there is a perfect way to play poker that will result in making 0 mistakes (which nobody has figured out how to do and is what I mean by understanding the game).

We have developed solutions to some spots in which we deem "standard" because we believe at this time that this is the best way to make the least mistakes and the most money. Those who understand our current concepts of "standard" spots make a good, consistent winrate because they understand the meta better than their opponents. This doesn't mean they understand the game enough to make 0 mistakes and these "standard" spots that they know better than others may not be the most optimal options.
Sounds like just "being good at poker" to me.
Donk Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:07 PM   #10
Pooh-Bah
 
RonMexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,676
Re: View:Good players arent necessarily the best at poker;but the best at understandng current

Did anyone else read OP and think it was written by one of those automated content bots?
RonMexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #11
adept
 
blakeatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk Quixote View Post
Sounds like just "being good at poker" to me.
I think this is too vague a description to describe good players.
blakeatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #12
stranger
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Re: View:Good players arent necessarily the best at poker;but the best at understandng current

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeatron View Post
No I didn't literally think of this in the shower -.-

Imo there is a perfect way to play poker that will result in making 0 mistakes (which nobody has figured out how to do and is what I mean by understanding the game).

We have developed solutions to some spots in which we deem "standard" because we believe at this time that this is the best way to make the least mistakes and the most money. Those who understand our current concepts of "standard" spots make a good, consistent winrate because they understand the meta better than their opponents. This doesn't mean they understand the game enough to make 0 mistakes and these "standard" spots that they know better than others may not be the most optimal options.
Let's say there was a perfect player who made 0 mistakes and was essentially meta incarnate. Now recall the famous hand from the One Drop where the gentleman folded quads face up. If that fold is only correct to make one out of a million times, would you say that Mr. Meta would find that fold given one million identical spots.
The Portlandian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #13
adept
 
blakeatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Portlandian View Post
Let's say there was a perfect player who made 0 mistakes and was essentially meta incarnate. Now recall the famous hand from the One Drop where the gentleman folded quads face up. If that fold is only correct to make one out of a million times, would you say that Mr. Meta would find that fold given one million identical spots.
One million is a lot of spots but if each one is identical with identical information I see no reason he would. Which just proves my point that knowing current meta =\= knowing the game at its core to the point of making 0 mistakes.

Are you saying you think that mr meta would randomly decide to fold one of those instances even though information is identical?
blakeatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:48 PM   #14
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ChicagoJoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South African Diamond Mine
Posts: 12,585
Re: View:Good players arent necessarily the best at poker;but the best at understandng current

r/showerthoughts is one of my fave subreddits


r/showerpokerthoughts?
ChicagoJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:20 AM   #15
banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 103
Re: View:Good players arent necessarily the best at poker;but the best at understandng current

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeatron View Post
Kind of a shower thought. I feel there is a difference in actually understanding the game of poker and understanding the current meta. Obviously poker is evolving day by day and when new meta is created there will be players who understand it better than others.

I believe this may be a reason why it is so difficult for people to perfect their understanding of the game. We are all trying to understand the current meta instead.
Donald Trump isn't the best at real estate or attracting beautiful women. But he gets the job done and that is all that matters. Could he do it all over again if he had to start from scratch? Probably not. So what? He is the big winner in life.
loggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive