Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views, and gossip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 10:24 PM   #2001
jordan1352
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 73
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

Pretty messed up having people who have no idea what they're voting for actually voting.

Question for people who know about politics. Can they individually refuse to vote? So the people who don't know what anybody is talking about don't need to vote.
jordan1352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:27 PM   #2002
DeepDreaming
stranger
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 6
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

It's somewhat irrelevant that they don't know how the game works. Their argument is that the debate at the moment is not about changing the original intent of the IGA.

It's still possible that the IGA can be modified in the future to exclude online poker, but to them it is a separate issue.
DeepDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:30 PM   #2003
bazooka87
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bazooka87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mickmacking
Posts: 14,625
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan1352 View Post
Question for people who know about politics. Can they individually refuse to vote? So the people who don't know what anybody is talking about don't need to vote.
Yes, in this case it largely didn't matter since the government and opposition agreed with it. But 99% of the time they just fall in line with the party position
bazooka87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #2004
sa1nts4ever1
stranger
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

I really do commend Senator Xenophon for actually listening to the community and having an open mind about online poker. I understand why he didn't support the amendment due to his views, but it did give me some hope of one day online poker returning to Australia but of course being heavily regulated.

Unfortunate outcome as someone who plays 1c/2c for fun never depositing more than one sum of 20 dollars over the past 1.5 years, yet lost 20 dollars on sports bet this weekend really annoys me.

Hope to see you guys at the local pubs and clubs playing some poker because **** giving packer any money.

Thank you to the work of everyone who was involved this would never of even been considered if it wasn't for all your hard work
sa1nts4ever1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:38 PM   #2005
44Albatros
stranger
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nelson
Posts: 3
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

The game is over amendment has been rejected a few minutes ago,so as soon legislation is passed online poker will be clearly illegal so Pokerstars will withdraw from Australia.No good at all
44Albatros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:42 PM   #2006
Aliquantum
old hand
 
Aliquantum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In the cage
Posts: 1,666
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

So empty right now. Wow.
Aliquantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:43 PM   #2007
mickesheee
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydnaneeeeee
Posts: 19
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

Ok, so where does these leave online Aussie players.

Pokerstars will go but who does have an Australian licence.
Americans still manage to play on Bovada and ACR.

Obviously not as good as Stars but there must be some alternatives available.
mickesheee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:53 PM   #2008
Chuck Bass
World's Most Interesting Procrastinator
 
Chuck Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Once A Gambler is the name
Posts: 8,607
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickesheee View Post
Ok, so where does these leave online Aussie players.

Pokerstars will go but who does have an Australian licence.
Americans still manage to play on Bovada and ACR.

Obviously not as good as Stars but there must be some alternatives available.
No site has an Australian licence. There's not even an existing platform to apply for one, so no one can apply for a licence if they wanted to. There are 0 legal options to play online poker, Bovada and ACR are so unsafe that you're at a severe risk of losing your money, as there is no one regulating those games. In other words, Australia is ****ed.
Chuck Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:04 PM   #2009
vajra
stranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

When will this legislation come into effect or when will PokerStars decide to ban Aussie players?
vajra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:04 PM   #2010
SwoopAE
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SwoopAE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I AM CAPITAO
Posts: 17,524
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

This sucks. I guess we rally the troops and try and get a licensing process in play. I'm lucky I transitioned out of full time play, I really feel for anyone who still plays full time and will have to either move or VPN now.

Saddened we get literally no lib support after joey's efforts his party has betrayed him and us here. Amazing effort by joey that we even got the amendment voted on with some support if we had more time might have got it done

Stars and party and co were beyond pathetic in this fight one email from stars way too late they needed to be vocal about this and lobby properly and with money.

Not sure what the next step is I assume we look to draft the outline for legislation similar to the UK poker legislation and northern Territory sportsbetting licensing legislation, sell it as jobs tax revenue and freedom and see if leyonhjelm or another pol who supported us here will fight for it.

Thanks to joey for all the hard work he put in looks like our long term fights beginning and we're off to play on air and the Chinese site and seals or VPN till then
SwoopAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:07 PM   #2011
44Albatros
stranger
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nelson
Posts: 3
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

Packer and sport betting mob donated large amount of money to Liberals and Labour. Pokerstars kept profits for themselves.Politicians tend to do protect interests of donors.
System is corrupt.
44Albatros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:17 PM   #2012
mickesheee
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydnaneeeeee
Posts: 19
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bass View Post
No site has an Australian licence. There's not even an existing platform to apply for one, so no one can apply for a licence if they wanted to. There are 0 legal options to play online poker, Bovada and ACR are so unsafe that you're at a severe risk of losing your money, as there is no one regulating those games. In other words, Australia is ****ed.
Thanks. I assume Stars do some security checks for VPN's being used.
So, how sophisticated does the VPN need to be and any hints on good/bad solutions.
I can pretty much build my own VPN but would be nice to know how to make sure it will not be detected by Stars.
mickesheee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 PM   #2013
OzExorcist
grinder
 
OzExorcist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 579
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickesheee View Post
Thanks. I assume Stars do some security checks for VPN's being used.
So, how sophisticated does the VPN need to be and any hints on good/bad solutions.
I can pretty much build my own VPN but would be nice to know how to make sure it will not be detected by Stars.
Been covered above but it's not just a question of a VPN for Stars - they require you to prove physical relocation to another country before they'll reactivate your account (as in address overseas, utility bills there in your name, etc)
OzExorcist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:22 PM   #2014
mickesheee
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydnaneeeeee
Posts: 19
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzExorcist View Post
Been covered above but it's not just a question of a VPN for Stars - they require you to prove physical relocation to another country before they'll reactivate your account (as in address overseas, utility bills there in your name, etc)
Couldn't you make a new account with a friend applying who lives in a country where you can play?
mickesheee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:27 PM   #2015
jarrydg
journeyman
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 241
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickesheee View Post
Couldn't you make a new account with a friend applying who lives in a country where you can play?
Yes but that also breaks the TOS, so it's another thing you risk getting caught for.
jarrydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:30 PM   #2016
ishter
See my coaching listing
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 779
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

GG. Irrespective of this expected-but-****ty outcome, I'd like to sincerely thank Joey and everyone else for their work. Really good effort guys and I admire your passion.

Now, time to relocate across the planet (from a 'free' country in 2017) in order to play CARDS ON THE INTERNET.

Brilliant.
ishter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:33 PM   #2017
gobbymcgee
centurion
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 122
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishter View Post
GG. Irrespective of this expected-but-****ty outcome, I'd like to sincerely thank Joey and everyone else for their work. Really good effort guys and I admire your passion.

Now, time to relocate across the planet (from a 'free' country in 2017) in order to play CARDS ON THE INTERNET.

Brilliant.
The lord has spoken.

gobbymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:37 PM   #2018
Chuck Bass
World's Most Interesting Procrastinator
 
Chuck Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Once A Gambler is the name
Posts: 8,607
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

Would still massively appreciate any timeline estimations once they become available. Also if any of you receive emails from the sites telling when exactly they will pull the plug, please post them ITT. My address is registered elsewhere so I don't think I'll be getting these emails, and I don't want to get cut off mid-session etc.

Thanks and once again I feel really sorry for you guys. As a small silver lining getting it legalized again is probably slightly easier than it will be in USA. You only have a few states to worry about, the US is such a cluster**** with 50 different states and all their weird bs politics that they have to do it state by state and nationwide poker there is still light years away. Australia is also isolated and not really accountable to anyone but themselves, so it doesn't seem that impossible to make a change within a couple of years' timeframe.
Chuck Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:51 PM   #2019
brett_threat
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 31
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

Great effort Joey and Swoop. Well played, regardless of the ****ty outcome. Reminds me of a game i used to play...
brett_threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:57 PM   #2020
max85
old hand
 
max85's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,637
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

public can't do much about corrupt politicians
max85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:16 AM   #2021
kingc11
journeyman
 
kingc11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: grinding4life
Posts: 331
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bass View Post
Would still massively appreciate any timeline estimations once they become available. Also if any of you receive emails from the sites telling when exactly they will pull the plug, please post them ITT. My address is registered elsewhere so I don't think I'll be getting these emails, and I don't want to get cut off mid-session etc.

Thanks and once again I feel really sorry for you guys. As a small silver lining getting it legalized again is probably slightly easier than it will be in USA. You only have a few states to worry about, the US is such a cluster**** with 50 different states and all their weird bs politics that they have to do it state by state and nationwide poker there is still light years away. Australia is also isolated and not really accountable to anyone but themselves, so it doesn't seem that impossible to make a change within a couple of years' timeframe.
+1 on any timeline estimations
kingc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:30 AM   #2022
bazooka87
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bazooka87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mickmacking
Posts: 14,625
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

For what it's worth something passed in the senate yesterday is being considered in House of Reps today. Assent from the Governor-General can take anywhere from overnight to about two weeks
bazooka87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:59 AM   #2023
Snowy888
stranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

If you're in Australia on hols will you still be able to load the pokerstars portal or will you have to go down the VPN route to be able to log on?
Snowy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:01 AM   #2024
Chuck Bass
World's Most Interesting Procrastinator
 
Chuck Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Once A Gambler is the name
Posts: 8,607
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy888 View Post
If you're in Australia on hols will you still be able to load the pokerstars portal or will you have to go down the VPN route to be able to log on?
I asked this from Stars support earlier, and no you won't be able to access Pokerstars while physically in Australia, similarly to USA and other prohibited areas. This will also means a bunch of lost tax revenue to Australia as hundreds of people come to Australia for a few months every year to grind and enjoy the winter in the winter (Aussie summer).
Chuck Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:07 AM   #2025
Tilltard
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 225
Re: Poker In Australia But For How Long?b

Im only a vistor in your country for now, but its such a ****ty outcome for anyone who actually understands what poker is and respects the game. Whats even worse is the mass hypocrisy from the politicians who claim that this is in prevention of problem gambling, when in all actually have been lobbied by domestic institutions that just want a bigger share of the pie.

As for VPN, how reliable is this if done right? My accounts are registered under my home address in Canada where I am a resident. Not sure if worth it for low-mid stakes.
Tilltard is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online