Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views, and gossip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #241
centurion
 
Vrilya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 117
Re: My son is a professial poker player...a parent view

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakShow View Post
My Son's not born yet, but when he is he'll have two choices: Baseball or Poker.
Yah, isnt it great to make childreen to live up for our dreems?
Vrilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #242
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 74
Re: My son is a professial poker player...a parent view

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
And we were discussing top paying college degrees, not the average. The most studied major in the US (I think) is criminal justice or communications. Most people are morons. This is not what we're discussing. Please stay on the subject.
I haven't exactly been taking part in the main discussion of this topic. I just commented that I strongly disagree with your assertion that making less than $60k is pathetic and impossible to be happy with. The fact is over half of American families don't make your happiness threshold and I find it quite a stretch to conclude a majority of them are depressed. Money and happiness are linked but it's far from the only factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
Everything about your post is wrong, but the above is so wrong it makes me ill.

My parents were non-english speaking immigrants. My dad died when I was 19 and I promptly worked 40 hours a week on top of taking 6 classes a semester and 4 during the summers to give my mom 500 dollars a month to pay bills. I graduated with a 2.67 GPA. I went to a tier 3 school. I also graduated with 59k in student loans. My first job out of college was for a salary of (drumroll, please) 28.8k, that's 738 dollars every 2 weeks.

Congrats for being the wrongest person on the internet today, 3/14/2012.
I think it's great that you were able to overcome those early obstacles and eventually be successful, but aren't you making the same mistake of citing personal anecdotes to prove broad facts that you were accusing someone else of doing before?
prahsk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #243
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,816
Re: My son is a professial poker player...a parent view

Quote:
Originally Posted by prahsk87 View Post
I haven't exactly been taking part in the main discussion of this topic. I just commented that I strongly disagree with your assertion that making less than $60k is pathetic and impossible to be happy with. The fact is over half of American families don't make your happiness threshold and I find it quite a stretch to conclude a majority of them are depressed. Money and happiness are linked but it's far from the only factor.
I never said this. It's very dependent on the area. 60k in a major city is a lot different than 60k in middle america. I also never said you *couldn't* be happy, I said happiness doesn't go up much after a certain amount (approx 75k). This is all adjusted per area. It's not very hard to understand - the more stressed you are about money, the more miserable your life is. That threshold is different for everyone, but the the basics (car, housing, food, clothes) cost a certain amount, if you make less than or equal to that amount, there tends to be more stress.

The whole point of the 60k comment was in terms of poker players. Making an hourly of 30 dollars an hour doing something you gave a college degree for is foolish in my opinion. If it was double that amount, then sure, maybe it'd be worth it. But for such a low amount of money and to give up a degree just doesn't make sense. I know some poker players obviously make much more, but the 60k number was thrown out there and I had my argument against it.

Quote:
I think it's great that you were able to overcome those early obstacles and eventually be successful, but aren't you making the same mistake of citing personal anecdotes to prove broad facts that you were accusing someone else of doing before?
I was correcting a very bad assumption. I never had it easy and I never claimed I did. I also don't believe I had it all that tough, as many people on this planet have it much worse. Everyone has obstacles to overcome in life, I don't complain or bitch about it, I just get on with it.
wil318466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #244
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 351
Re: My son is a professial poker player...a parent view

ducy poker is good for you
huesos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #245
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SI, NY
Posts: 12,290
Re: My son is a professial poker player...a parent view

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
So you think Chemical engineers start off at 28k?

Seriously?
Not at all, I'm sure they start off a ton higher.

I don't understand the question.

The majority of people in the United States aren't chemical engineers.

The discussion is about the average starting salaries for recent college grads as a whole, not for chemical engineers.
2OutsNoProb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #246
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SI, NY
Posts: 12,290
Re: My son is a professial poker player...a parent view

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
And we were discussing top paying college degrees, not the average. The most studied major in the US (I think) is criminal justice or communications. Most people are morons. This is not what we're discussing. Please stay on the subject.
Another snobbish, condescending, nose-in-the-air response. This after you berate the guy for assuming you grew up in a well-off household. With your absurd posts in this thread, what other conclusion could people come to? Every other sentence is a rant and rave about the huge salaries of people you know and how you think everyone who doesn't make a ton is a worthless human being.

FWIW, on top of all this, you're wrong again. You're the one who turned this into a discussion about top-paying college degrees by flying off into a tangent about engineering. No one else was cherry-picking certain careers; everyone else commenting on the 60k figure was discussing the salaries offered as a whole to recent college grads.
2OutsNoProb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #247
adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 943
Re: My son is a professial poker player...a parent view

One thing not mentioned is debt...

Some of those people in the million dollar homes you keep bragging about are actually heavily in debt. Just because someone lives in a million dollar homes doesn't mean they can afford it.

Similarly, many people not only don't make your 60K threshold (the majority don't) .. and some that do make 60K+ are still heavily in debt from their schooling or other things.

And the previous poster was right, I would assume someone who came from such a humble background as you suggest would be a tad more sympathetic for people who are in similar one you were.

But I guess the people born poor and who stay poor are just lazy then according to your logic, right? Because its so easy to just get that 60K job .. not sure why they settle for burger king jobs .. what lazy people right .. get off our butt and become a Chemical Engineer or something, gosh.
Gemaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:53 AM   #248
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,816
Re: My son is a professial poker player...a parent view

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OutsNoProb View Post
FWIW, on top of all this, you're wrong again. You're the one who turned this into a discussion about top-paying college degrees by flying off into a tangent about engineering. No one else was cherry-picking certain careers; everyone else commenting on the 60k figure was discussing the salaries offered as a whole to recent college grads.
You're being obtuse on purpose. It's readily apparent what I'm trying to say, I'm not hiding or cherry picking anything. You're stretching what I'm saying into a completely different meaning.

I never said people who don't make a lot of money are worthless human beings. I don't even think that way about people at all. I'm saying that if someone looks at a pro poker player who makes 30 dollars an hour and says "I'll skip college and go do that!" then something is really wrong. 30 dollars an hour is nothing in the big scheme of things.

My point of the degrees was that top paying college degrees start at around that number. Top paying degrees are usually in higher demand. Why would anyone give up something that is "most likely" for something that is "not so likely"?

This entire discussion has turned into silliness and dishonesty on your part. I've stated facts backed up by articles and data. You've twisted my words into something I've never said or intended to say. You don't want to face facts or look at things objectively because of your dislike for me, which is readily apparent. This doesn't make your incorrect argument any more true.
wil318466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:54 AM   #249
Pooh-Bah
 
d3 fact0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: BtGB
Posts: 3,796
Re: My son is a professial poker player...a parent view

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM View Post
never mention poker in a job interview


ever
how about trading?
d3 fact0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #250
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,816
Re: My son is a professial poker player...a parent view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemaco View Post
One thing not mentioned is debt...

Some of those people in the million dollar homes you keep bragging about are actually heavily in debt. Just because someone lives in a million dollar homes doesn't mean they can afford it.

Similarly, many people not only don't make your 60K threshold (the majority don't) .. and some that do make 60K+ are still heavily in debt from their schooling or other things.
This is not an argument. Some people can afford it, some can't, but that doesn't mean plenty of people can. What's the point here? I can argue that some people could afford to live in much more expensive homes but choose not to. Can I say now that many more people can afford million dollars homes than the statistics say?

Quote:
And the previous poster was right, I would assume someone who came from such a humble background as you suggest would be a tad more sympathetic for people who are in similar one you were.

But I guess the people born poor and who stay poor are just lazy then according to your logic, right? Because its so easy to just get that 60K job .. not sure why they settle for burger king jobs .. what lazy people right .. get off our butt and become a Chemical Engineer or something, gosh.
I am sympathetic to people's problems. I realize that certain areas only have certain types of jobs and lower salaries. This is not a problem of the people who live there, but the economic activity of the region.

This doesn't change the fact that there are many regions where higher salaries are paid. I could go live in the middle of Oklahoma if I chose tomorrow, but I know that I wouldn't be able to expect the same salary as I make now, so I choose to stay in this area. That choice makes a difference.

Most people have choices. Most people can better themselves, work harder, or do things that will enhance their earning potential. Most people choose not to out of sheer laziness, not ability. Most jobs simply aren't that difficult to learn that aren't heavily specialized, but those jobs aren't available to people without the proper educational background. Do you have to be somewhat smart to do them? Sure. Do you have to be something special in order to do them? Absolutely not. But those doors are shut to people who don't finish college. This is why I'm arguing so heavily against it. I made 100k last year, and I could teach my job to a smart high school graduate. It's pathetically easy and it pays really well. Getting there wasn't difficult in the least bit. Many people I speak to have decent paying jobs and say the exact same thing - their jobs aren't difficult to learn. If you give up college to go play poker you will never have a chance to learn those jobs and make those salaries.

And I would argue that in a decent paying area, with a college degree, 60k is pretty easy to achieve within 5 years of graduating, within 2-3 with a "good" degree, easily. Hell, you can make 60k without even going to college.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/14/smal....htm?iid=HP_LN

"Nine months in trade school. Job guaranteed.

Five of our students were hired in just one day," said lead instructor Bryant Redd. The new hires are from a class of 41 students who are still four months away from completing a nine-month advanced certification program in computerized numerical control (CNC) machining.

To get into the program, students need a high school diploma or the equivalent and can go part-time or full-time.

The starting salary for the new hires averages about $40,000 a year, with the potential to jump to $55,000 to $65,000 in less than two years, he said."


So yeah, part of me really does think that most people who complain and bitch and whine about not being able to make a decent salary are simply doing it wrong. But of course, most people do most things wrong, so I guess it all just fits into the equation.
wil318466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:35 AM   #251
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
batair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: magic swirlin ship
Posts: 11,247
Re: My son is a professial poker player...a parent view

What about people who don't bitch about not making that much and are happy content with making less. Are they doing it wrong?
batair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:59 AM   #252
veteran
 
tokeweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Got Jed? Giveaway
Posts: 2,271
Re: My son is a professial poker player...a parent view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqalung... View Post
It's been now about 4+ years since my son has chosen to be a professional poker player. In the beginning I had some doubts that he could make a living doing it, but he has proven to me that he can. I am proud of him. Of course, I still have, at times, a hard time comprehending the sums of money he deals with when buying into tournrnaments and playing mid and high stakes. I guess, growing up in a different era (pre-internet) makes me feel that way.
I'm curious how other parents feel about when their sons or daughters decided to make poker their living.
he bought me a new car. it's all good.
tokeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #253
old hand
 
otis_nixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: eating cheeseburgers
Posts: 1,751
Re: My son is a professial poker player...a parent view

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OutsNoProb View Post
Another snobbish, condescending, nose-in-the-air response. This after you berate the guy for assuming you grew up in a well-off household. With your absurd posts in this thread, what other conclusion could people come to? Every other sentence is a rant and rave about the huge salaries of people you know and how you think everyone who doesn't make a ton is a worthless human being.
Haha man have you not seen this guy around here? He used to run a taco stand in front of JP Morgan or something and in some strange way knowing or having known some super serious investment bankers makes him feel really validated. He's just constantly talking about it. Not at all surprised to see him working his angle in yet another thread in which it does not belong. I love it!

Definitely a freak and a very weird dude.
otis_nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #254
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wil318466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,816
Re: My son is a professial poker player...a parent view

Quote:
Originally Posted by batair View Post
What about people who don't bitch about not making that much and are happy content with making less. Are they doing it wrong?
No, but we're not arguing that. When people are saying a starting salary of 60k out of college (or relatively shortly out of college) is way out of touch and I show multiple sources saying it's really not for certain majors, what kind of argument is that? It has nothing to do with what we're debating.

I say it's not that out of the ordinary for certain majors.

He says it's no where near the average.

I say I'm not talking about the average.

He says I'm a snob.

Wut?
wil318466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #255
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
batair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: magic swirlin ship
Posts: 11,247
Re: My son is a professial poker player...a parent view

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466 View Post
No, but we're not arguing that. When people are saying a starting salary of 60k out of college (or relatively shortly out of college) is way out of touch and I show multiple sources saying it's really not for certain majors, what kind of argument is that? It has nothing to do with what we're debating.

I say it's not that out of the ordinary for certain majors.

He says it's no where near the average.

I say I'm not talking about the average.

He says I'm a snob.

Wut?
Well if you say no then it seems like someone playing poker for less then 60k and are happy and content are not doing it wrong either.
batair is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive