Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views, and gossip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM   #1276
Dream Crusher
Pooh-Bah
 
Dream Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas
Posts: 4,677
Re: Cate Hall v. Mike Dentale HU4rlz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageDonkey View Post
If it's a river decision then fine, in some spots you could justify 10 minutes, possibly even more (if allowed to) because there are so many more pemutaions by street etc that you could process, but 10 minutes pre flop; this is either a person with quite a slow mind or someone a bit unsure of the basics of pre flop play, perhaps a bit of both.
10 minutes to make a decision in poker? You'd have to have a pretty slow brain to justify that. 10 seconds should be more than adequate.

edit: You are playing a live cash game with Mike Dentale. 10 minutes?!?!

Last edited by Dream Crusher; Yesterday at 11:04 PM. Reason: MIKE DENTALE!
Dream Crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM   #1277
Howard Treesong
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Howard Treesong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In for the long con!
Posts: 7,566
Re: Cate Hall v. Mike Dentale HU4rlz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageDonkey View Post
I agree that he was basically trying to tilt her, but incidentally he was also correct that she took a while, more than most would to call.

I do believe though, based on what I have seen, that she is a particularly slow thinker, certainly in maths based disciplines. If reports are correct she took 10 minutes to make her decision in the infamous AT hand with Barry Rutter. That is an extraordinary amount of time to think about a decision in a pre flop situation.

If it's a river decision then fine, in some spots you could justify 10 minutes, possibly even more (if allowed to) because there are so many more pemutaions by street etc that you could process, but 10 minutes pre flop; this is either a person with quite a slow mind or someone a bit unsure of the basics of pre flop play, perhaps a bit of both.

I would not totally rule out that she is currently a complete rookie, and that by knowing only half of what the very top players know, it makes her difficult to play against. This isn't some fancy theory, it can easily happen. Some of my worst (most annoying bust outs) of live comps are where the opponent did something that was so weird because they were novicey, that I ruled out what they had done as being at all possible and then made a losing play against them.

Apologies for calling you clueless.



I agree it may have been for that reason that she delayed deliberately, or perhaps she'd been advised to take her time on all decisions to prevent making errors and as you say to not give timing tells away or any other timing based indicators away.

I still believe she is pretty slow of thought though. I might be wrong about this.
No worries, Sage. This is the Internets. I don't take any of it personally -- not even the dullard comment that you ninja-edited!
Howard Treesong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM   #1278
SageDonkey
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,503
Re: Cate Hall v. Mike Dentale HU4rlz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Treesong View Post
No worries, Sage. This is the Internets. I don't take any of it personally -- not even the dullard comment that you ninja-edited!
Good spot! I did ninja-edit it because I realised I was being harsh and unfair.

I've also edited my last post to expand on my Cate Hall is slow minded observation and to issue a thread apology.

It goes.....

"I still believe she is pretty slow of thought though. I might be wrong about this as well as about a lot of things. Now I really should shut up and get off this thread. The lawyer stuff is quite boring but probably I should have kept my mouth shut about it. Sorry."
SageDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:57 AM   #1279
zanesmom
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 22
Re: Cate Hall v. Mike Dentale HU4rlz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemares View Post
I say that I don't understand why you'd say this because attracting new people to the game is absolutely vital to the continued existence of professional poker.

Having said that, I agree with your post for the most part. Sexism is everywhere though, and a lot of women can deal with it quite well. Not all women are quite as thin-skinned as you might believe. They know that people that behave like this are jokes and probably treat them as such.
I resonate with this post especially about the part of most women being thick skinned and being able to "take" the sexism that REGULARLY occurs at the tables. Honestly, 90% of it doesn't ruffle my feathers. That doesn't mean I don't notice it; but it has virtually no effect on my willingness to stay in the game. But I can't expect all women to be as thick skinned as me; and who knows how many women it keeps away. If it's true that only 5% of poker players are women then I don't think eliminating sexism would increase that to 50%. But would it increase it to 10% or 20%? Those are still quite compelling numbers...

On the other hand, I have a somewhat messed up, incestuous relationship with sexism in poker. If it deters new business it is bad for anyone who believes they have skill edge and since I'm also a woman it is clearly unpleasant for me to deal with (or at least irritating most of the time) and 10% of the time it bothers me so much that it affects my decisions either whether to play or how to play....BUT...I also personally benefit from the status quo. I feel like most of the time my ability to exploit their bias is more than worth the amount of discomfort I endure.

But as I (hope to) move up the ranks I expect sexism bias to help me less and less as my opponents get smarter.



Cliffs Notes:
If you're a female poker player, dudes like Mike Dentali are simultaneously the Nuts, and the nut low

Last edited by zanesmom; Today at 04:04 AM.
zanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:15 PM   #1280
borg23
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6,513
Re: Cate Hall v. Mike Dentale HU4rlz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutejszy View Post
lol, nobody sane ever snaps obvious bluffs from fish, if you snap them they may realise it's not a good spot to bluff
oh look another tanking time waster
borg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:25 PM   #1281
ArtyMcFly
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ArtyMcFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Enchantment Under the Sea
Posts: 6,418
Re: Cate Hall v. Mike Dentale HU4rlz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg23 View Post
Yea can't possibly be the **** she tweets constantly
If Cate's tweets are ****, what does that say about Mike's?



https://socialblade.com/twitter/comp...able/catehall/

Evidently Mike tweeted 849 times in the last two weeks. That's a lunatic-level of tweeting that neither Trump (114 in the same period) or SageDonkey can compete with.

Last edited by ArtyMcFly; Today at 06:27 PM. Reason: Yeah, I know the 2nd graph is ridic. I post for lulz.
ArtyMcFly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:45 PM   #1282
Abbaddabba
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,912
Re: Cate Hall v. Mike Dentale HU4rlz?

Quote:
My other posts are all on topic and I write to the best of my ability which takes time and sometimes a lot of words. That makes me thorough and conscientious, not a nerd.
Spending an unreasonable amount of time learning/talking about things that most people have no interest in seems to be a recurring theme in most textbook definitions of nerd.
Abbaddabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:49 PM   #1283
DangerNoodle
journeyman
 
DangerNoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 316
Re: Cate Hall v. Mike Dentale HU4rlz?

brevity
DangerNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online