Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip, Sponsored by Online Poker Report

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip, Sponsored by Online Poker Report For poker news, views, and gossip Sponsored by Onlinepokerreport.com.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #626
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 126
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichaseafterfrogs View Post
These jokes are fully tilting me.
at least the end is near. ur tree fiddy shipped next week
gbb187 is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #627
old hand
 
pimmelsau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: züri
Posts: 1,837
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
The substance of an indictment or other charging instrument is usually the same, regardless of the jurisdiction: it consists of a short and plain statement of where, when, and how the defendant allegedly committed the offense
i think it's really dangerous if people are judged by an indictment.
just s thought, no need to discuss or derail further.
but i couldn't help myself and had to say it. sry.
pimmelsau is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #628
grinder
 
TheShanachie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 425
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

There is no chance that this that Bitar wasn't going to be made an example of. I'm fairly sure he knew the way he would be taken in by the feds and the charges and that quite simply THE MAN couldn't be seen to be given him any leeway.

You don't screw the US out of millions and walk back into America. So the fact they arrested him on the plane should not be ringing alarm bells that he has been caught out by the feds unawares.
TheShanachie is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #629
journeyman
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 244
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Wondering how there is no video of him being taken off the plane. Usually after landing every is getting out there phones and someone has bound to have recorded it.
drumn4life0789 is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #630
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N.W England
Posts: 870
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

I didnt think there was a snowball in hells chance of ever seeing any Fulltilt money, but it now appears it might happen!

Any possibility is better than none, I suppose.
Why so long though? Thats what concerns me.
rayfox111 is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #631
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
aura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Emanating
Posts: 10,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfox111 View Post
I didnt think there was a snowball in hells chance of ever seeing any Fulltilt money, but it now appears it might happen!

Any possibility is better than none, I suppose.
Why so long though? Thats what concerns me.
Bitar's ready.
aura is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #632
grinder
 
TheShanachie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 425
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrade View Post
getting irish gov to extradite anyone to the usa is never gonna be a problem previous govs here have broken the constitution to oblige usa . allowing planes to land with prisoners on board. there is nothing the irish gov wont do for usa on request.
I disagree.

The extradition treaty between the USA and Ireland has more loop holes than most and the USA are very conscious about upsetting Irish descendant voters that may take exception to extraditing someone from Ireland as they make up such a large % of eligible voters in many parts of the US.
TheShanachie is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #633
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 714
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumn4life0789 View Post
Wondering how there is no video of him being taken off the plane. Usually after landing every is getting out there phones and someone has bound to have recorded it.
He probably didn't fly commercial, and if he did, no one in first class probably knew who he was.
NickStam is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #634
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Posts: 496
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmelsau View Post
i think it's really dangerous if people are judged by an indictment.
just s thought, no need to discuss or derail further.
but i couldn't help myself and had to say it. sry.
VERY true. Although, to be fair, he has been judged by his actions and the actions of the company he was running over the last year. The indictment only provides validity to the judgment.

/derail
Harlow_Hammer is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #635
grinder
 
m00sy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: England
Posts: 442
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_Flush View Post
Pretty sure he didnt say that there was some deal that if he surrendered that a deal will be completed with PS and the DOJ, and no one should be thinking any thing like that imo.

I do not speak for Bitar, and I dont have his statement in front of me right now, but I think that he was referring more to the timing of him voluntarily surrendering being when he believed that a deal for repayment to players was nearing completion.
" It is as important as ever that we all do everything possible to make that happen and, hopefully our deal with Poker Stars will very soon make our goal a reality. My return to the US is part of this process. "

That implies that him handing himself in would in some way move the deal with PokerStars forward. It's pretty hard to read it any other way, although his presence in Ireland obviously wasn't the only barrier.
m00sy is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #636
Two Time 3+1 Champion!
 
Apocalypse Wow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,875
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShanachie View Post
I disagree.

The extradition treaty between the USA and Ireland has more loop holes than most and the USA are very conscious about upsetting Irish descendant voters that may take exception to extraditing someone from Ireland as they make up such a large % of eligible voters in many parts of the US.
The UK parliament's Extradition Act (2003) covers extradition between Ireland and the US. There is no treaty between the USA and Ireland. Furthermore, the Act has been criticized for making it easy to allow extradition from UK to USA but not the other way around.

Secondly, extraditing someone from Ireland is not the same as extraditing someone who is Irish. And even if it were, I have never heard of anything like this becoming an election issue.
Apocalypse Wow is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #637
grinder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 604
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickStam View Post
Be prepared for your neighboors, coworkers, and friends to see articles on major outlets and tell you "see I knew that online stuff was a scam, you were playing on a ponzi"*&^%$#@
I've already run across a retard on another forum claiming that this proves that poker sites are rigged. So ****ing laughable.
MidniteToker is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #638
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: co,down
Posts: 49
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShanachie View Post
I disagree.

The extradition treaty between the USA and Ireland has more loop holes than most and the USA are very conscious about upsetting Irish descendant voters that may take exception to extraditing someone from Ireland as they make up such a large % of eligible voters in many parts of the US.
there are certain area,s were id agree with you. but in a case like this no irish voter is gonna be upset over this.
upgrade is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #639
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SGspecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 1st out in the 1st ever $10k razz
Posts: 7,400
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewOnTilt View Post
Actually, twenty bucks says American Greed will cover FTP sometime in the next few years.
Is that $20 US or $20 FTP?
SGspecial is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #640
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
starvingwriter82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 7,795
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickStam View Post
Be prepared for your neighboors, coworkers, and friends to see articles on major outlets and tell you "see I knew that online stuff was a scam, you were playing on a ponzi"*&^%$#@
Quietly ask them if they keep money in a bank, and then when they say yes, quietly point out any of a million high profile bank fraud cases.
starvingwriter82 is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #641
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
funkyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: working without a 27b/6
Posts: 6,416
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajeffe View Post
Nathan Vardi: There does not appear to be a deal in place between Ray Bitar and the feds on criminal charges. He faces up to 145 yrs.
This is completely


Why would he come to the US if there was no deal in place?

Presumably he fully cooperates and gets something like 6-months at club fed (or some other token punishment).
funkyj is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #642
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
funkyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: working without a 27b/6
Posts: 6,416
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvingwriter82 View Post
Quietly ask them if they keep money in a bank, and then when they say yes, quietly point out any of a million high profile bank fraud cases.
doesn't FDIC cover this?
funkyj is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #643
grinder
 
TheShanachie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 425
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse Wow View Post
The UK parliament's Extradition Act (2003) covers extradition between Ireland and the US. There is no treaty between the USA and Ireland. Furthermore, the Act has been criticized for making it easy to allow extradition from UK to USA but not the other way around.

Secondly, extraditing someone from Ireland is not the same as extraditing someone who is Irish. And even if it were, I have never heard of anything like this becoming an election issue.


The UK parliament extradition Act (2003) cover Northern Ireland not the Republic of Ireland

Dublin where Bitar was residing is in the latter.

Covered by this:

Ireland Extradition Treaty with the United States

Ireland International Extradition Treaty with the United States

July 13, 1983, Date-Signed

December 15, 1984, Date-In-Force

MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

98TH CONGRESS

2d Session

SENATE

LETTER OF TRANSMITTAL

THE WHITE HOUSE, April 18, 1984.

To the Senate of the United States:

With a view to receiving the advice and consent of the Senate to ratification, I transmit herewith the Treaty on Extradition between the United States of America and Ireland, signed at Washington on July 13, 1983.

I transmit also, for the information of the Senate, the Report of the Department of State with respect to the Treaty.

The Treaty is the first law enforcement treaty directly negotiated between the United States and Ireland. It fills a gap resulting from a 1965 change in Irish law which precludes the implementation of any applicable extradition agreements between the United States and Great Britain. The Treaty follows generally the form and content of extradition treaties recently concluded by this Government.

This Treaty will make a significant contribution to international cooperation in law enforcement. I recommend that the Senate give early and favorable consideration to the Treaty and give its advice and consent to ratification.

RONALD REAGAN.

LETTER OF SUBMITTAL

DEPARTMENT OF STATE,

Washington, April 10, 1984.

The PRESIDENT,

The White House.
TheShanachie is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #644
old hand
 
Diamond_Flush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,470
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondogarage View Post
To be certain, Judge Kaplan is not actually *required* to recuse himself here. He left Paul Weiss nearly 20 years ago. It may be his practice to recuse himself in these instances, but there is no statutory requirement that he do so.
Very true indeed. However, if he has gone on the record to always recuse himself in the past for the same reason, and he does not do so now, it could conceivably open a new can of worms, no? I published that possibility strictly as a food for thought side note, clearly I have no idea what he might actually do.
Diamond_Flush is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #645
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,000
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShanachie View Post
The UK parliament extradition Act (2003) cover Northern Ireland not the Republic of Ireland

Dublin where Bitar was residing is in the latter.

Covered by this:

Ireland Extradition Treaty with the United States

Ireland International Extradition Treaty with the United States

July 13, 1983, Date-Signed

December 15, 1984, Date-In-Force

MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

98TH CONGRESS

2d Session

SENATE

LETTER OF TRANSMITTAL

THE WHITE HOUSE, April 18, 1984.

To the Senate of the United States:

With a view to receiving the advice and consent of the Senate to ratification, I transmit herewith the Treaty on Extradition between the United States of America and Ireland, signed at Washington on July 13, 1983.

I transmit also, for the information of the Senate, the Report of the Department of State with respect to the Treaty.

The Treaty is the first law enforcement treaty directly negotiated between the United States and Ireland. It fills a gap resulting from a 1965 change in Irish law which precludes the implementation of any applicable extradition agreements between the United States and Great Britain. The Treaty follows generally the form and content of extradition treaties recently concluded by this Government.

This Treaty will make a significant contribution to international cooperation in law enforcement. I recommend that the Senate give early and favorable consideration to the Treaty and give its advice and consent to ratification.

RONALD REAGAN.

LETTER OF SUBMITTAL

DEPARTMENT OF STATE,

Washington, April 10, 1984.

The PRESIDENT,

The White House.
Typically, a MESSAGE from the President to Congress doesn't have the force of law. Did you check if the Senate ratified the treaty? I believe he would have needed 2/3 of the Senate to ratify.
bizzle03 is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #646
aka JimmyLegs
 
John Wray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: @TheMicros
Posts: 2,125
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast10 View Post
He will probably take it in his bitar end
fyp
John Wray is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #647
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,000
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKongGrinder View Post
"Judge Kaplan was trying to squeeze out a diamond flush but he came up short and Mr. Eisen is futilely hoping that his queens are going to stand up."
This needs some love.
bizzle03 is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #648
grinder
 
TheShanachie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 425
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrade View Post
there are certain area,s were id agree with you. but in a case like this no irish voter is gonna be upset over this.
The case is irrelevant. The case is that America walking into Ireland and lifting someone over a fraud would upset many American/Irish people who couldn't care less about this case. All they would see is the current government throwing their weight around. And it is well documented that American government through the last several decade have done anything and everything to keep the Irish on side.

This is merely my educated opinion. But I am Irish and have, as most Irish do, many Irish/American relations who would take great offense to anything of this nature.

But I think we're getting off topic
TheShanachie is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #649
old hand
 
Diamond_Flush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,470
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00sy View Post
" It is as important as ever that we all do everything possible to make that happen and, hopefully our deal with Poker Stars will very soon make our goal a reality. My return to the US is part of this process. "

That implies that him handing himself in would in some way move the deal with PokerStars forward. It's pretty hard to read it any other way, although his presence in Ireland obviously wasn't the only barrier.
Again, I don't speak for Bitar, nor do I want to, and I can see how you get there from that statement. My position is that imo DOJ never makes Bitar surrendering part of the agreement to sell assets from themselves to a third party. Doing so potentially further causes more harm to players by their doing. I read the statement to mean that his surrender was more in the process of him trying to "fix" a wrong, and take whatever responsibility he had in this mess. Maybe someday he will tell us.
Diamond_Flush is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #650
grinder
 
TheShanachie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 425
Re: Ray Bitar (FTP CEO) Surrenders to US Government - Confirmed by DOJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle03 View Post
Typically, a MESSAGE from the President to Congress doesn't have the force of law. Did you check if the Senate ratified the treaty? I believe he would have needed 2/3 of the Senate to ratify.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ition_treaties
TheShanachie is offline  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online