Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip, Sponsored by Online Poker Report

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip, Sponsored by Online Poker Report For poker news, views, and gossip Sponsored by Onlinepokerreport.com.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2014, 04:34 AM   #401
Spews for redline's sake
 
crashwhips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,008
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKingdom View Post
Dude you must be kidding. Shouldn't you be allowed to choose who you let in to your home? If the feds could masquerade as the cable repair guy or as your cleaning lady to gather evidence for a warrant that would be nuts. This is a far cry from them posing as a junkie to make a buy at a suspected crack house.
+1

Also, it's not like they unlawfully searched their place and violated their privacy / due process rights to bust an illegal sex slavery ring, solve a murder, or shut down a massive heroin distribution network or something like that, they did so to arrest them for an unsanctioned version of exactly the same business that the casino was legally operating downstairs.

However, I don't think you have the same legal rights when you're a foreigner staying in a hotel rm versus a US citizen staying in a residence that he owns. I think to conduct the undercover sting / search w/o a warrant and not have it clearly be illegal, all the fbi might have had to do by the letter of the law was receive permission from Caesars to enter the rm.

Even w/ that tho, I think the fbi is on very shaky ground w/ the methods they used. But they did the same type of thing to shut down silk road and also catch other criminals by illegally hacking into cell phones w/o warrant and then using that unlawfully obtained information to catch them doing something illegal, so there is a precedent of courts not caring when enforcement agencies play fast and loose w/ or outright violate the right to privacy and unlawful search and seizure clauses in the constitution.

Last edited by crashwhips; 11-20-2014 at 04:42 AM.
crashwhips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #402
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Jbrochu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,584
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

If there is enough evidence that something illegal is going on inside a premises, they can get a warrant. I they don't have enough to obtain a warrant, they can go **** themselves -- so says the Fourth Amendment.

Shutting off the electricity/cable, then posing as repair men and going in to see if they can find any evidence of wrongdoing is tantamount to searching under a "general warrant," which is considered an unreasonable search and seizure.

Last edited by Jbrochu; 11-20-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Jbrochu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:59 AM   #403
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
The4thFilm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,291
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

NVG legal gurus: does the fact that they aren't US citizens give them fewer rights?
The4thFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #404
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Jbrochu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,584
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

There is a reason why they took captured suspected terrorists to GTMO rather than bring them to the US. Thinking about that reason should answer your question imo.
Jbrochu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #405
grinder
 
Bageled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pechanga
Posts: 407
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4thFilm View Post
NVG legal gurus: does the fact that they aren't US citizens give them fewer rights?
No, the immigration violation, if there is one, is handled separately from the criminal aspect. As an example, that Real Housewife guy from the tv show will have to face his deportation charges after he serves his prison sentence.
Bageled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:31 PM   #406
adept
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UTG
Posts: 914
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4thFilm View Post
NVG legal gurus: does the fact that they aren't US citizens give them fewer rights?
"If you're brown and near the border, better have your papers in order, or you're gone". ----- Doug Sahm.

Aside from the "border exception", which gets pretty broadly interpreted on occasion, "no", a foreigner has 4th Amendment rights.

However, a deportation seemingly may arise from a search in violation of the 4th amendment* ,absent an "egregious" violation, as it is not a criminal proceeding. In the latter a 4th Amendment violation would involve a motion for exclusion of illegally seized "evidence". The standard for excluding such vidence is higher in deportation proceedingsit seems.

See,e.g. http://www.justice.gov/eoir/vll/benc...-amendment.pdf
Gzesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #407
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 228
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4thFilm View Post
NVG legal gurus: does the fact that they aren't US citizens give them fewer rights?
That is correct, some Constitutional rights are only guaranteed to adult US citizens.
thatguywiththenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #408
grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 615
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

As the Constitution is written the only rights restricted to specifically to US citizens are the right to vote, and the right to run for elected office.

The 4th and 5th amendment rights of dues process and equal protection guarantees are extended to all "persons".

The Patriot Act does cloud this with the ability to deny rights to anyone who entered the country illegally, or committed a crime that will result in deportation.

So the answer is up to the judge given the circumstances.
12bigworm81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #409
Pooh-Bah
 
LektorAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: none
Posts: 3,641
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Do they want to stay long term in the US anyway? Once the legal process is over won't they self-deport on their private jet?
LektorAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #410
old hand
 
Rant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,331
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Turnabout IMO

Someone needs to shut off the agent's cable, show up as a fake repairman, and see what happens.
Rant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #411
enthusiast
 
jpoker11111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 65
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Paul phua has a private plane

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using 2+2 Forums
jpoker11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #412
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,310
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

"It is more important that innocence should be protected, than it is, that guilt be punished; for guilt and crimes are so frequent in this world, that all of them cannot be punished.... when innocence itself, is brought to the bar and condemned, especially to die, the subject will exclaim, 'it is immaterial to me whether I behave well or ill, for virtue itself is no security.' And if such a sentiment as this were to take hold in the mind of the subject that would be the end of all security whatsoever" -- John Adams

Once the authorities and judges start taking shortcuts that violate our Constitutionally protected right to due process we all lose. The protection of these rights must be absolute. Once minor exceptions are made more usually follow.

Having to defend yourself against criminal charges is difficult and expensive in many ways, even if you clear your name. "Oh but they're criminals. Why should they have the same rights as me?" Because we have a presumption of innocence in this country so that the truly innocent can live their lives free of threat from the authorities.

When defendants are acquitted in instances like these, people shouldn't get upset with the defendant's attorney for getting them off on a technicality but rather upset with those that voilated people's constitutionally protected rights. If it could happen to them what stops it from happening to you?

It makes law enforcement more difficult but that's the point.

Whether this particular argument in this case holds up is another matter.
MicroRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #413
veteran
 
Irieguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,083
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroRoller View Post
"It is more important that innocence should be protected, than it is, that guilt be punished; for guilt and crimes are so frequent in this world, that all of them cannot be punished.... when innocence itself, is brought to the bar and condemned, especially to die, the subject will exclaim, 'it is immaterial to me whether I behave well or ill, for virtue itself is no security.' And if such a sentiment as this were to take hold in the mind of the subject that would be the end of all security whatsoever" -- John Adams

Once the authorities and judges start taking shortcuts that violate our Constitutionally protected right to due process we all lose. The protection of these rights must be absolute. Once minor exceptions are made more usually follow.

Having to defend yourself against criminal charges is difficult and expensive in many ways, even if you clear your name. "Oh but they're criminals. Why should they have the same rights as me?" Because we have a presumption of innocence in this country so that the truly innocent can live their lives free of threat from the authorities.

When defendants are acquitted in instances like these, people shouldn't get upset with the defendant's attorney for getting them off on a technicality but rather upset with those that voilated people's constitutionally protected rights. If it could happen to them what stops it from happening to you?

It makes law enforcement more difficult but that's the point.

Whether this particular argument in this case holds up is another matter.
This is the most important post in the thread. Everyone everywhere should care deeply about due process and root vigorously for the defense of individual rights. Crime punished in their absence does not promote security, it precludes it.
Irieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:46 AM   #414
stranger
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 9
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Any updates?
WoolChuddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:04 AM   #415
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Guildford, UK
Posts: 3,511
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

John Adams died over 200 years ago. Your argument makes the great assumption that he would think exactly the same thing under today's circumstances as he did then.
Lawyers love John Adams.
PeteBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #416
adept
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UTG
Posts: 914
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBlow View Post
John Adams died over 200 years ago. Your argument makes the great assumption that he would think exactly the same thing under today's circumstances as he did then.
Lawyers love John Adams.
The "great assumption" you ascribe to the prior poster would be warranted, were it relevant at all. The principle is more important in law than who espouses it on a particular occasion.....

Adams subscribed to the ideal of a government of laws, not of men.

"The phrase gained wider currency when Adams used it in the Massachusetts Constitution, Bill of Rights, article 30 (1780).—Works, vol. 4, p. 230."

http://www.bartleby.com/73/991.html

It is what was said that matters; giving credit to John Adams is appropriate, but not relevant to the principle he described.

Plus, you are wrong, Adams was very much alive 200 years ago, he eventually died in 1826.
Gzesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:32 AM   #417
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,310
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBlow View Post
John Adams died over 200 years ago. Your argument makes the great assumption that he would think exactly the same thing under today's circumstances as he did then.
Lawyers love John Adams.
You know, people seem to get quite bent out of shape telling people that what they said is stupid either because people need to be talked to in a way that teachers talk to kindergartners or they're too stupid to realize the difference between calling what they said stupid versus calling them stupid. Me, I don't feel that way.

Many times when I post on a serious subject in 2p2 it winds up being long because I try to anticipate all the stupid things people will inevitably respond with and address them in my comment so I won't have to later on. It never works out that way. In fact, these first two paragraphs are doing just that. Making it very clear that I'm attacking what you said and not you personally.

Your comment however far exceeds what I could anticipate. I am quite amazed at just how many levels of stupidity you could fit in so few words.

Normally I'd just respond telling you where you're wrong and it would then get into a long argument and doesn't really amount to anything. If you truly believe what you wrote and you weren't stoned or hit in the head by a large object while writing it, I think you're better off trying to put in the work to figure out for yourself what is so wrong in what you said. Especially if these are the types of things you say on a regular basis.
MicroRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #418
Spews for redline's sake
 
crashwhips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,008
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

I do agree w/ all the sentiments in your post he responded to, but I think Pete makes a valid pt.

Gov't and the role of gov't evolves over time, and the world was a completely different place when the constitution was written and Adams said that, so the fact that this was the way our gov't and legal system were set up 200+ yrs ago is very relevant. At that point in history, there was still slavery, women couldn't vote, and there was no electricity, telephones, engines, and other modern technological advancements.

Even if it does not override your pt and the principles still apply to modern society, imo it was not a statement that was so stupid that he either has to been "stoned or hit in the head by a large object" or a moron to write it.

He did not personally insult you, kinda feels like you are personally attacking him despite spending 2 paragraphs saying you're not going to do that....
crashwhips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #419
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,310
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashwhips View Post
He did not personally insult you, kinda feels like you are personally attacking him despite spending 2 paragraphs saying you're not going to do that....
In general I don't pay much attention to screen names on here with very few exceptions. I couldn't tell you anything else he or you might have posted in the past or even if we had ever replied to each other without searching. That leaves me in a position where I can't make judgments on a person, just on what they have said.

I don't want to derail the thread. I don't consider myself to be stupid but I say stupid **** all the time. Sometimes on purpose to be funny, sometimes due to a lapse in judgement, incorrect information, etc. I don't mind people telling me about the latter.
MicroRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:36 AM   #420
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 926
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashwhips View Post
Gov't and the role of gov't evolves over time, and the world was a completely different place when the constitution was written and Adams said that, so the fact that this was the way our gov't and legal system were set up 200+ yrs ago is very relevant. At that point in history, there was still slavery, women couldn't vote, and there was no electricity, telephones, engines, and other modern technological advancements.
Which is why The Constitution, which is the ultimate law of the land, has mechanisms to amend it. Its simply asinine to argue that The Constitution, the ultimate law of the land, is outdated, so it should simply be ignored. If you can unilaterally claim that The Constitution is meaningless because its outdated, why can't anyone arbitrarily disregard any law, because they claim it doesn't apply? Either you accept the law and abide by it, or you reject it. If agents of the government reject the law as it is written, and ignore it, why shouldn't we? The whole idea of law is that it is a social contract. We follow the law because we all agree on a set of rules that we enact to govern the behavior of those in our society. Its why Lady Justice wears a blindfold. If the law does not apply equally to all, it loses its moral authority and its meaning. If law has no moral authority, it becomes nothing more then a dictate handed down by the dictators, and has no more authority then that which can be enforced by a nightstick or the barrel of a gun. In that case, citizens have not only the right, but the responsibility to resist those thugs who seek to impose their "law" at the point of a gun.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
Frenbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:45 AM   #421
Pooh-Bah
 
LektorAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: none
Posts: 3,641
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Having moved from a country (UK) where the government just makes up the constitution as it goes along, to one (Slovakia) where the constitution court has upheld the right to openly drink alcohol in the street (right to live own life) I tend to go with the Americans on this one.

Back to the topic. When is the next hearing scheduled in the case?
LektorAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:35 AM   #422
banned
 
Mubsy Bogues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,265
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Cliffs of last two pages: John Adams is the man
Mubsy Bogues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #423
journeyman
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 278
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenbar View Post
Which is why The Constitution, which is the ultimate law of the land, has mechanisms to amend it. Its simply asinine to argue that The Constitution, the ultimate law of the land, is outdated, so it should simply be ignored. If you can unilaterally claim that The Constitution is meaningless because its outdated, why can't anyone arbitrarily disregard any law, because they claim it doesn't apply? Either you accept the law and abide by it, or you reject it. If agents of the government reject the law as it is written, and ignore it, why shouldn't we? The whole idea of law is that it is a social contract. We follow the law because we all agree on a set of rules that we enact to govern the behavior of those in our society. Its why Lady Justice wears a blindfold. If the law does not apply equally to all, it loses its moral authority and its meaning. If law has no moral authority, it becomes nothing more then a dictate handed down by the dictators, and has no more authority then that which can be enforced by a nightstick or the barrel of a gun. In that case, citizens have not only the right, but the responsibility to resist those thugs who seek to impose their "law" at the point of a gun.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
This was beautiful to read
Munchkins Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #424
stranger
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Everyone pleads guilty except Paul and his son...

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/artic...ing-charges-us
Karup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:15 AM   #425
Pooh-Bah
 
sba9630's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: This space intentionally left blank
Posts: 4,388
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karup View Post
Everyone pleads guilty except Paul and his son...

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/artic...ing-charges-us
Authorities in the US also believe he is a key player in online sports betting, a burgeoning "grey" industry.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

bur·geon also bour·geon (bûrjn)
intr.v. bur·geoned also bour·geoned, bur·geon·ing also bour·geon·ing, bur·geons also bour·geons

1.
a. To put forth new buds, leaves, or greenery; sprout.
b. To begin to grow or blossom.
2. To grow or develop rapidly.
sba9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:27 AM   #426
Pooh-Bah
 
LektorAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: none
Posts: 3,641
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Not a lawyer or Nevadan. Don't the misdemeanour charges mean that they pay, for them, a lol small fine and the FBI saves face? Also Richard Yong's son released without charge.
LektorAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #427
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 208
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LektorAJ View Post
Not a lawyer or Nevadan. Don't the misdemeanour charges mean that they pay, for them, a lol small fine and the FBI saves face? Also Richard Yong's son released without charge.
I would think so. FBI got to grab a few headlines, their bosses get to put this on their political resume, while the whale remains free. Everybody wins.
BondTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #428
stranger
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
Details of Paul Phua arrest now mainstream news

It is interesting how this story is slowly making the rounds.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...erfuge/383815/
hucudanode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:50 AM   #429
grinder
 
Bageled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pechanga
Posts: 407
Re: Details of Paul Phua arrest now mainstream news

I am surprised it wasn't an article making him sound like the boogey man.
Bageled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #430
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Take that **** to trial bitch!
PoundKake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #431
grinder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 528
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Article in today's WSJ about this incident. Says that phua operates a junket business in Macau
http://www.wsj.com/articles/fbi-take...ing-1419882338

Also mentions Ivey, robl, dwan, and their relationship to phua

The article mentions that 2/3 of macaus gambling is facilitated by junkets. Considering Caesars was left on the sidelines for Macau, is it possible that this was a play made by CZR to mess with the junket business and hurt their competitors who are taking it in Macau?

Last edited by twalf; 12-30-2014 at 02:13 PM.
twalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #432
 
Professionalpoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: @propoker
Posts: 14,995
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

In order to read the above article google search FBI Takes Aim at High-Roller Junkets
and click the first link.
Professionalpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:14 PM   #433
grinder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 528
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professionalpoker View Post
In order to read the above article google search FBI Takes Aim at High-Roller Junkets
and click the first link.
Thanks, this is how I found the article, didn't realize my link had a pay wall
twalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #434
Spews for redline's sake
 
crashwhips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,008
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by twalf View Post
Article in today's WSJ about this incident. Says that phua operates a junket business in Macau
http://www.wsj.com/articles/fbi-take...ing-1419882338

Also mentions Ivey, robl, dwan, and their relationship to phua

The article mentions that 2/3 of macaus gambling is facilitated by junkets. Considering Caesars was left on the sidelines for Macau, is it possible that this was a play made by CZR to mess with the junket business and hurt their competitors who are taking it in Macau?
Interesting and well-written article, I have a lot better idea of Phua's M.O. and what this case is about after reading it
crashwhips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #435
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
The4thFilm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,291
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

$90 million in casino credit JFC
The4thFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #436
adept
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UTG
Posts: 914
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashwhips View Post
Interesting and well-written article, I have a lot better idea of Phua's M.O. and what this case is about after reading it
The Nevada Gaming Control Board in the past has voiced concern over Macau junket operators "suitability", for lack of better word, as business associates/vendors/whatever for Nevada licensees.

"MGM Resorts International Inc. said it conducts extensive investigations of its partners in Macau. "We do due diligence," said MGM spokesman Alan Feldman. Spokesmen for Las Vegas Sands Corp. and Wynn Resorts Ltd. declined to comment" for the WSJ article linked below

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...69413008057958

In 2013 testimony before the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission, NGCB Chairman A.G Burnett explained the background of Macau gaming and independent VIP operators who issue credit:

"While the casinos still exercise efforts towards the mass market and procuring their own VIP clientele, employing the third-party VIP Room Operators allows for the casinos to participate in a gambling niche that would otherwise be elusive. As imaginative as you wish to be, there are legitimate and illegitimate reasons for various wealthy gamblers to keep a degree of anonymity and relegate trust only to a familiar VIP Room Operator rather than dealing directly with a casino. Further solidifying this niche is that Macanese law allows not only the casino, but also the VIP Room Operators to issue gambling credit to players.
The majority of these high-rollers are from mainland China. Various laws restrict the money transfer out of mainland China as well as hinder incentives to loan gambling funds or exert collection efforts. Chinese citizens are barred from carrying more than the equivalent of about US$3,000 on any single trip to Macau, and it is illegal to try and collect a gambling debt there. The licensed casinos are highly incentivized to abide by these laws. However, the third-party VIP Room Operators act more autonomously in their decisions to adhere to these laws and they allegedly circumvent these restrictions, or likewise affiliate with parties that can facilitate such transactions.

Concerns

Our analysis indicates that the Nevada affiliated casinos in Macau offer robust compliance with anti-money laundering protocols. That robust compliance, however, is only up to a point. That point is where the VIP Room Operators assume responsibility.

Though VIP Operator transactions conducted directly with the casino are tightly controlled and regulated, criminal transactions are widely alleged to take place just out of the direct purview of the casino. Such activities include back-betting, side-betting, loan sharking, violent loan collections, underground banking, and money laundering.

Furthermore, it is common knowledge, the operation of VIP Rooms in Macau casinos had long been dominated by Asian Organized Crime (AOC), commonly referred to as “triads.” With the evolution of gaming in Macau, the same AOC figures are allegedly still working the VIP Operations; only now they do it behind a façade of “legitimate” public corporations, complex corporate structures, financial guarantees, and third-party assignments. Public media and intelligence sources have affiliated all but one of the seven VIP Room Operator groups of interest with reputed AOC figures".

...

While certain elements of the business model have indeed been “westernized,” in effort to compete; however, the business model of the west has also become somewhat “easternized.” Nonetheless, we feel that the business model itself is not an issue, nor do we believe that the casinos, themselves, are an issue; it is what the business model allows to occur outside of the casino’s purview that may pose problems."

http://www.uscc.gov/sites/default/fi...0Testimony.pdf

Last edited by Gzesh; 12-30-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Gzesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #437
Spews for redline's sake
 
crashwhips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,008
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

http://calvinayre.com/2015/02/02/bus...nst-paul-phua/

"Fourth amendment fans got a boost on Monday after a US federal judge said key evidence against accused online gambling operator Wei Seng ‘Paul’ Phua (pictured) was inadmissible. In a 32-page ruling, US Magistrate Judge Peggy Leen said Federal Bureau of Investigation agents had made “false and misleading statements” to obtain evidence that Phua and others were running an illegal online sports betting operation out of three luxury villas at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas"

"In her ruling, Judge Leen said the FBI’s errors and false statements had rendered their search warrant “fatally flawed” and thus removed any semblance of probable cause to justify the raid. Leen noted that a search warrant “is never validated by what its execution recovers.” Phua attorney David Chesnoff called Leen’s ruling “a triumph for citizens everywhere, showing that courts will enforce the Constitution.”
crashwhips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #438
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
The4thFilm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,291
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

FREE MALACESIA
The4thFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:59 PM   #439
grinder
 
BEANO52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 663
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Judge: FBI's Ruse to Snare Poker Champ Was Okay
BEANO52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:38 AM   #440
old hand
 
Tyrannic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,897
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Federal judge recommends tossing out evidence:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/la...s-betting-case

In related run good news, Richard Yong, who took a slap on the wrist in the case, just scooped the 100k at Aussie Millions. Gotta love that outfit!

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2015/0...100k-20494.htm
Tyrannic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #441
Pooh-Bah
 
kk405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TriBeca, NYC
Posts: 5,400
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

A lot more bark than bite... ended up with misdemeanor and probation as opposed to felony and jail...

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/ke...nced-probation
kk405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #442
adept
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UTG
Posts: 914
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk405 View Post
A lot more bark than bite... ended up with misdemeanor and probation as opposed to felony and jail...

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/ke...nced-probation
I think $225K in fine and forfeit is a pretty good bite ..... under the circumstances of the pending evidentiary issues.
Gzesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:25 PM   #443
Pooh-Bah
 
kk405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TriBeca, NYC
Posts: 5,400
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzesh View Post
I think $225K in fine and forfeit is a pretty good bite ..... under the circumstances of the pending evidentiary issues.
for these guys? it's less than a day's 'work'... Good lawyers and lousy evidence... but given the investigation and charges and all the hoopla, walking away with a misdemeanor and probation is just stunning.
kk405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:22 AM   #444
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,342
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Damn How does Scott Seiver keep cashing in all these high rollers?
SuperSwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:58 PM   #445
Pooh-Bah
 
sba9630's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: This space intentionally left blank
Posts: 4,388
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Judge says FBI ruse violated rights of Las Vegas hotel guest [lasvegassun.com]
The FBI violated the rights of a wealthy Malaysian businessman when agents posed as Internet repairmen to get into his Las Vegas suite to search for evidence of wrongdoing during the World Cup soccer tournament last summer, a federal judge ruled Friday.

"The government violated the defendant's Fourth Amendment rights" against unreasonable searches and seizures, U.S. District Judge Andrew Gordon said in a bluntly worded decision throwing out evidence collected last July from Wei Seng "Paul" Phua's high-security luxury villa at Caesars Palace.
sba9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:39 PM   #446
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,607
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSchwartz View Post
Right, this seems like the best use of the FBI's resources.

Two guys sitting at a poker table making bets has to be stopped immediately or the fabric of our society will crumble in no time.
The FBI gets it's priorities from the Executive Branch of the Justice Department which ultimately reports to Obama. If you don't like it either change who you vote for or contact the lawmakers you do vote for. If you haven't done that it's clear evidence that you don't care. DUCY?
au4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:25 PM   #447
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 21,951
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

I don't think Adam voted for Obama, and I don't think his lawmakers have much say in any of this. DUCY?
gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #448
Pooh-Bah
 
DrawNone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,277
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

DUCY after a bunch of gibberish nicely accents the gibberish.
DrawNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #449
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Jbrochu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,584
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba9630 View Post
Judge says FBI ruse violated rights of Las Vegas hotel guest [lasvegassun.com]
The FBI violated the rights of a wealthy Malaysian businessman when agents posed as Internet repairmen to get into his Las Vegas suite to search for evidence of wrongdoing during the World Cup soccer tournament last summer, a federal judge ruled Friday.

"The government violated the defendant's Fourth Amendment rights" against unreasonable searches and seizures, U.S. District Judge Andrew Gordon said in a bluntly worded decision throwing out evidence collected last July from Wei Seng "Paul" Phua's high-security luxury villa at Caesars Palace.
Nice - finally some sanity. Seems like forever since we've got any positive rulings in support of privacy and personal freedoms from a U.S. court.
Jbrochu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:18 AM   #450
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 877
Re: Paul Phua and seven others arrested for illegal World Cup bets at Caesars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba9630 View Post
Judge says FBI ruse violated rights of Las Vegas hotel guest [lasvegassun.com]
The FBI violated the rights of a wealthy Malaysian businessman when agents posed as Internet repairmen to get into his Las Vegas suite to search for evidence of wrongdoing during the World Cup soccer tournament last summer, a federal judge ruled Friday.

"The government violated the defendant's Fourth Amendment rights" against unreasonable searches and seizures, U.S. District Judge Andrew Gordon said in a bluntly worded decision throwing out evidence collected last July from Wei Seng "Paul" Phua's high-security luxury villa at Caesars Palace.
"Phua's attorneys said they were stunned to learn that investigators enlisted a Caesars contractor to shut off Internet access so agents disguised as repairmen could enter with hidden cameras. "Law enforcement can't break something in your house and pose as repair people to get inside," Chesnoff said."

FBI has watched too many Oceans 11 movies.
pocket_zeros is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online