Originally Posted by joeri
Lee, until now pokerstars refuses to have a different rake structure for plo compared to nlh. However the game of plo is very different with way more action compared to nlh. This results in between 50% - 100% higher rake for plo, hence low and midstakes rake is almost unbeatable. Any chance you will re-evaluate this descision in the near future?
Current rake levels for PLO are unsustainable imo.
Lee, can you please look up average rake paid in bb/100 for 6max PLO25 vs NL25?
Slightly higher rake for PLO could be justified; less hands/hour, bigger edges.
But do you think ~100% higher rake is healthy for the game?
I am afraid Pokerstars is too greedy and won't adjust the PLO rake structure until it's too late.
I hope you will understand our concerns as a PLO player yourself and please monitor the PLO ecosystem closely.
Also please consider the effects lower rake could have maybe offsetting a significant percentage of its costs:
- recreational players keep returning because they win some of the time (now almost impossible considering they must contribute 30+bb/100 in rake)
- recreational players keep returning because they get decent entertainment time (value) for their deposit.
- more players running hot, moving up and feeding the higher stakes
- more high stakes action, more successtory's like Isildur and Phil Galfond
- more railbirds that also try themselves
- Overall healthier ecosystem that still generates tons of rake for Pokerstars long into the future.