Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Live Casino Poker Discussions of the activities, rules and etiquette of Live Casino and Cardroom Poker Venues.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #151
that_pope
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
that_pope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Casino AZ
Posts: 22,620
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

I can't imagine it doesn't get chopped with the huge jumps at the top few spots.
that_pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #152
KL03
old hand
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Where they don't respect my raises
Posts: 1,217
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltyou View Post
I won a seat on the Carnival PokerPro grand final this November. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth going, or if I should sell my seat.
Go on cruise. Enjoy sights and nice weather. Play 140k tournament.
KL03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #153
LocalVD
stranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 7
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL03 View Post
Go on cruise. Enjoy sights and nice weather. Play 140k tournament.
Hey, I bought an entry into this tourney on E-Bay. Its supposed to be a $150k tourney. Don't cheat me!

On a serious note, I have been on several cruises and always won money playing poker, despite the horrendous rake. Its juicy and fun. Also, I thought I would summarize the 1/2 NL rake structure for the various cruise lines I am aware of (based on my own experience and previous posters):

Royal Caribbean: RCL Ships with live dealers are 10% up to $15; RCL ships withPokerPro E-table are 10% up to $10.
Holland America: 15% up to $6 (E-tables only, and no rake if only 2 or 3 players).
Carnival: 15% to $6 (E-tables only -- no rake if only 2 players).
NCL: 10% to $25 (Live dealers).
Celebrity: 10% to $15 (e-tables only).

Although I like live dealers, the e-tables (i.e., PokerPro on most ships) are preferrable to me because of 1) lesser rake, 2) more hands per hour, 3) no tipping, and 4) no rake (generally) if you have only two, or sometimes three players. My favorite game was headups on a Pokerpro table against a guy who was clueless. What fun!
LocalVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #154
scottc25
veteran
 
scottc25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: TPA
Posts: 2,270
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Im sailing out of Miami on Norwegian Epic this Saturday. I will scope out the table and see what it's like before i decide to sit. Since I am going with the family I will play after they call it a night, which judging by this thread, games don't start till later anyways.

Will post a TR when I return.
scottc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #155
Sowers
centurion
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 127
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

This thread has been pretty informative :P
Sowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #156
Madcity98
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 23
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Cruise Line: Royal Caribbean
Ship's Name: Oasis of the Seas
Date of Cruise: 3/2/13-3/9/13
Number of tables: 3
Live or e-table: e-table, 9 seated
Blinds: $1/$3 NL
Buy-in structure: $60 minimum buyin, up to $500
Rake structure: 10% up to $10
How often did the game run: I think it ran every night. I only played 3 nights though. The game usually got started around 9pm and often went until close. The casino closes at 2 or 230am, but the host would let the poker table keep going later than that since it didn't need a dealer. Most I ever saw running was two tables, so if you get all 3 going, consider yourself lucky.

They offered and promoted (in the activities planner/flyers) $100 sit and go's every night, but mostly that had little interest.


Play in the $1/$3 cash game was very basic. There were lots of Europeans with money on this cruise, but mostly a bunch of Americans sat to play. I think if they offered a $2/5 game with no cap buy-in, there would have been more players. As it was, players were very friendly, numerous limped pots, $3/$6 bets on flop/turn/river. But if you get in there and start raising pots preflop, the action will get moving and you can clean up. I won $300 the first night and never looked back.
Madcity98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #157
extcat
stranger
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Carnival Glory, maybe 5 years ago, drunk dude started betting or raising $50 every hand on 1/2 NL. Get another drink, put more money in, etc. Finally he got mad at the poker pro table and smashed his fist into it and broke the screen. He left, we called the manager. I am sure they found him, can't hide too long on a ship.
extcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:15 AM   #158
boltyou
grinder
 
boltyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 644
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by extcat View Post
Carnival Glory, maybe 5 years ago, drunk dude started betting or raising $50 every hand on 1/2 NL. Get another drink, put more money in, etc. Finally he got mad at the poker pro table and smashed his fist into it and broke the screen. He left, we called the manager. I am sure they found him, can't hide too long on a ship.
Did they replace the screen or was the poker table broken for the rest of the week?
boltyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #159
extcat
stranger
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltyou View Post
Did they replace the screen or was the poker table broken for the rest of the week?
It was broke the rest of the week. The rest of the table still worked , just down one seat.
extcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #160
joelcsuh
stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Here's an interesting one.

My girlfriend is very into labor rights and such things, and cruise ships are NOTORIOUSLY bad at taking care of their workers. Does anyone know of a cruise that has poker AND takes care of the crew? We could finally agree on something!
joelcsuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #161
veazeykyle
stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

I'm getting ready to go on a cruise to the Caribbean to try poker on a cruise ship. I'm not a great player; I'm a smart player. Whenever I play, whether it be in a casino, or online, I never call pre unless I have At Least a T/T. From what I've been reading on the threads about playing on cruises is that most of the time good players win, unless someone tries to win with a high card, and scores on the river, in which case, the good player gets screwed. I live in the U.S. so I can only play for fake money on Poker Stars, so the quality of player is usually not as good as if it was for real money. One thing I've noticed about when I player is 75%+ of the time, if I 1) only call with either A/A, A/K, A/Q, A/J, K/K, K/Q, K/J, Q/Q, Q/J, J/J, or J/T, and 2) fold if I don't have AT LEAST a pair by the flop, I win. I'd probably for every 10 hands, I only play 1, but when I do play that 1 hand, I hit it big. I would like to get some feedback from guys who have played on cruises before about how they think this strategy would work.
veazeykyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #162
tipdrill
grinder
 
tipdrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Coruscant
Posts: 607
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by veazeykyle View Post
I'm getting ready to go on a cruise to the Caribbean to try poker on a cruise ship. I'm not a great player; I'm a smart player. Whenever I play, whether it be in a casino, or online, I never call pre unless I have At Least a T/T. From what I've been reading on the threads about playing on cruises is that most of the time good players win, unless someone tries to win with a high card, and scores on the river, in which case, the good player gets screwed. I live in the U.S. so I can only play for fake money on Poker Stars, so the quality of player is usually not as good as if it was for real money. One thing I've noticed about when I player is 75%+ of the time, if I 1) only call with either A/A, A/K, A/Q, A/J, K/K, K/Q, K/J, Q/Q, Q/J, J/J, or J/T, and 2) fold if I don't have AT LEAST a pair by the flop, I win. I'd probably for every 10 hands, I only play 1, but when I do play that 1 hand, I hit it big. I would like to get some feedback from guys who have played on cruises before about how they think this strategy would work.
what happens when you flop top 2, and Villain has bottom set...

play the man, not the cards.
tipdrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #163
ChicagoTroy
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Fanstastic
Posts: 1,632
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by veazeykyle View Post
I'm getting ready to go on a cruise to the Caribbean to try poker on a cruise ship. I'm not a great player; I'm a smart player. Whenever I play, whether it be in a casino, or online, I never call pre unless I have At Least a T/T. From what I've been reading on the threads about playing on cruises is that most of the time good players win, unless someone tries to win with a high card, and scores on the river, in which case, the good player gets screwed. I live in the U.S. so I can only play for fake money on Poker Stars, so the quality of player is usually not as good as if it was for real money. One thing I've noticed about when I player is 75%+ of the time, if I 1) only call with either A/A, A/K, A/Q, A/J, K/K, K/Q, K/J, Q/Q, Q/J, J/J, or J/T, and 2) fold if I don't have AT LEAST a pair by the flop, I win. I'd probably for every 10 hands, I only play 1, but when I do play that 1 hand, I hit it big. I would like to get some feedback from guys who have played on cruises before about how they think this strategy would work.
The typical player who is winning big on cruise ships is, at the very least, a player who has a decent understanding of preflop strategy. Right now, you don't have that.

There are some pretty big holes in your plan here that would get cleared up either via cash game experience or reading a basic NL holdem book.
ChicagoTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #164
whaler55
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 239
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

veazeykyle,
which cruise are you going on? from what port?
whaler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #165
bahbahmickey
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: UTG-3
Posts: 8,689
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTroy View Post
The typical player who is winning big on cruise ships is, at the very least, a player who has a decent understanding of preflop strategy. Right now, you don't have that.

There are some pretty big holes in your plan here that would get cleared up either via cash game experience or reading a basic NL holdem book.
I agree that he doesn't have a reasonable understanding of preflop strategy, but the one time I went on a cruise the play was so bad that I think veazeykyle would be an average to slightly better than avg player that he will play against.
bahbahmickey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #166
veazeykyle
stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaler55 View Post
veazeykyle,
which cruise are you going on? from what port?
I'm looking at going on Norwegian. I called them, and they said they have live dealers. Probably going to leave out of Miami.
veazeykyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #167
whaler55
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 239
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Norwegian is horrible for poker. The live dealer is great BUT they can take up to $25 per hand take, no joke. Do a search on it and you'll see.
The reason I asked which port is that the people who leave out of Miami are worse than other ports in my experience. There is more of a machismo thing going on with guys trying to impress their girlfriends and others at the table.
With that in mind, you still might be able to win with your tight style, but when you win a big hand, play tight for an orbit, say you have a show to catch, then gtfo...
whaler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #168
veazeykyle
stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaler55 View Post
Norwegian is horrible for poker. The live dealer is great BUT they can take up to $25 per hand take, no joke. Do a search on it and you'll see.
The reason I asked which port is that the people who leave out of Miami are worse than other ports in my experience. There is more of a machismo thing going on with guys trying to impress their girlfriends and others at the table.
With that in mind, you still might be able to win with your tight style, but when you win a big hand, play tight for an orbit, say you have a show to catch, then gtfo...
Right after I posted I was looking at Norwegian, I saw on another thread that Norwegian was bad cause of the high rake. So far the one I see most people talk about well is Royal Caribbean. Any experience with them?
veazeykyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #169
bioengineer
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: DC/MD
Posts: 93
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

You're right. I was on a cruise on the Norwegian Epic a couple years ago. The rake is terrible at 10% up to $25, rounded to the nearest quarter! In my case, that didn't stop the game from being very profitable. While each cruise is different, the Epic is big enough that the game should still be very juicy.
bioengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #170
Psik
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 21
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioengineer View Post
You're right. I was on a cruise on the Norwegian Epic a couple years ago. The rake is terrible at 10% up to $25, rounded to the nearest quarter! In my case, that didn't stop the game from being very profitable. While each cruise is different, the Epic is big enough that the game should still be very juicy.
The Epic was a pretty large disappointment when I recently went on it.
The whole ship felt cheap, the food was bad (routine mix ups with orders, food coming cold etc).

Never even bothered with the poker after seeing how disgusting the rake was.

We even somehow managed to completely miss a port with no weather problems.
Psik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #171
Coasterbrad
veteran
 
Coasterbrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,313
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Honestly the best line for poker is Carnival. Granted I haven't cruised on all of the lines, but they have a max rake of $6. The have poker pro tables which speed up the game immensely and make it less intimidating for new players. Overall a really good poker experience imo.
Coasterbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #172
whaler55
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 239
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by veazeykyle View Post
Right after I posted I was looking at Norwegian, I saw on another thread that Norwegian was bad cause of the high rake. So far the one I see most people talk about well is Royal Caribbean. Any experience with them?
I've been on Royal's Majesty of the Seas a couple times which is a three or four night cruise out of Miami. It's an older ship that they'll probably sell soon. When I was on they had a live dealer for their 2/5 game. It was very profitable even with the rake. again, the players out of Miami suck.

I was on Liberty of the Seas where they had an electronic table, but it wasn't PokerPro/PokerTek. It was some other company and it was pretty poorly designed.

I'll be going on Royal's Freedom of the Seas June 2nd for a week, hope to do well.
whaler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:00 AM   #173
that_pope
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
that_pope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Casino AZ
Posts: 22,620
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasterbrad View Post
Honestly the best line for poker is Carnival. Granted I haven't cruised on all of the lines, but they have a max rake of $6. The have poker pro tables which speed up the game immensely and make it less intimidating for new players. Overall a really good poker experience imo.
I agree, they may take 10% max to $6 in $0.25 increments, but comparing that to the local casinos with their "jackpot drop" it is pretty similar.
that_pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #174
DC2LV
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 1,909
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaler55 View Post
It was very profitable even with the rake. again, the players out of Miami suck.
I go on 2-3 cruises a year; trust me when I tell you that the pasengers out of every embarkation port suck. Miami is no different than Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa, New Orleans, L.A., San Diego, Seattle, Vancouver, etc.

BTW, if you want to save on rake, do what I do and bring along your own chips/set-up. I usually go to the casino and play there the first 2-3 days, then I get the players names and cabin numbers and we arrange to play nightly in the ship's library, card room or some other convenient space. This works best on the longer cruises that I usually take (14-30 days).
DC2LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #175
admranger
enthusiast
 
admranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 81
Re: Cruise Ship Poker Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2LV View Post
BTW, if you want to save on rake, do what I do and bring along your own chips/set-up. I usually go to the casino and play there the first 2-3 days, then I get the players names and cabin numbers and we arrange to play nightly in the ship's library, card room or some other convenient space. This works best on the longer cruises that I usually take (14-30 days).
Why not just use chips from the casino instead? Yeah, you need cards, dealer button, etc., but lugging chips in my luggage sounds like no fun.
admranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online