Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Notices

Brick and Mortar Discussions of brick and mortar gambling venues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 08:32 AM   #16
banned
 
ChicagoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 662
Re: Empress Joliet, IL new 1/2 NL and upcoming changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimicnarf View Post
Thanks for the response, and the rake is 10%/$6 max or $6/half hour?
10%/$6 max
ChicagoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:54 PM   #17
journeyman
 
kevinmbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 323
Re: Empress Joliet, IL new 1/2 NL and upcoming changes

HMM.. so $6 rake with bad players, soon to be 5 tables with a bbj coming and eventual comps too. I think this will be my home base for a while.
and a feature game..wtf? lol
kevinmbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #18
enthusiast
 
thnksfrplyin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: losing flips and spewing hard
Posts: 77
Re: Empress Joliet, IL new 1/2 NL and upcoming changes

5 tables open today with comps, will be heading up there later tonight
thnksfrplyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #19
banned
 
ChicagoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 662
Re: Empress Joliet, IL new 1/2 NL and upcoming changes

Saturday Empress had five 1-2 NLH games going. On Tuesdays and Thursdays they plan to start running 2-5 NLH games starting at 12:30 pm. Also the poker room managers are hoping to start running 10-20 and 20-40 limit games again. It is my opinion that this is the best run poker room in Illinois. The rake is still reasonable at $6.

The poker room now has .50 an hour food comps for 1-2. They will offer a higher comp rate for higher limits.

Last edited by ChicagoJoe; 04-04-2010 at 07:22 AM.
ChicagoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #20
centurion
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 104
Re: Empress Joliet, IL new 1/2 NL and upcoming changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe View Post
Saturday Empress had five 1-2 NLH games going. On Tuesdays and Thursdays they plan to start running 2-5 NLH games starting at 12:30 pm. Also the poker room managers are hoping to start running 10-20 and 20-40 limit games again. It is my opinion that this is the best run poker room in Illinois. The rake is still reasonable at $6.

The poker room now has .50 an hour food comps for 1-2. They will offer a higher comp rate for higher limits.
Do you really think a $6 per hour rake is reasonable? That is somewhere between $150 to $200 and hour leaving the table.
Bluesdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #21
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 52
Re: Empress Joliet, IL new 1/2 NL and upcoming changes

For an Illinois casino, it's probably the best we could ask for. Obviously there are charity rooms where you can get a $5 rake, but for a casino in Illinois, $6 is far better than the $8+1(bbj) at Hollywood.
Nevett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #22
banned
 
ChicagoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 662
Re: Empress Joliet, IL new 1/2 NL and upcoming changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesdog View Post
Do you really think a $6 per hour rake is reasonable? That is somewhere between $150 to $200 and hour leaving the table.
Bluesdog compare Empressís 1-2 rake with Hollywood and Grand Victoria. After you do that than see who offers the best comps. Than after you do that let us know what Illinois casino in the Chicago area is best.
ChicagoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:31 AM   #23
centurion
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 104
Re: Empress Joliet, IL new 1/2 NL and upcoming changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevett View Post
For an Illinois casino, it's probably the best we could ask for. Obviously there are charity rooms where you can get a $5 rake, but for a casino in Illinois, $6 is far better than the $8+1(bbj) at Hollywood.
All the rakes at IL casinos and charity games are too high. You can't beat a 1/2 game with even a $5 rake (plus $1 per hand tip). Anyone who thinks they can doesn't keep track of their wins/losses. Over say 100 sessions which is really a small sample no matter how good you think you are and how bad you think the other players are you will not come out ahead. These casinos and Grand Vic is the worse keep spreading games with outragous rakes and people like you just go there and play and make silly comments like it is reasonable or it's the best we can hope for. You desrve to lose.
Bluesdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #24
Beast of the Day
 
Rapini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: DC
Posts: 7,945
Re: Empress Joliet, IL new 1/2 NL and upcoming changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesdog View Post
All the rakes at IL casinos and charity games are too high. You can't beat a 1/2 game with even a $5 rake (plus $1 per hand tip). Anyone who thinks they can doesn't keep track of their wins/losses. Over say 100 sessions which is really a small sample no matter how good you think you are and how bad you think the other players are you will not come out ahead. These casinos and Grand Vic is the worse keep spreading games with outragous rakes and people like you just go there and play and make silly comments like it is reasonable or it's the best we can hope for. You desrve to lose.
You're dangerously close to personal attack / trolling territory here.

Why do you think it's a good idea to flame other users on this board for expressing their opinions? Just because you disagree with them? If you really hope to change something, you're going to have to organize a boycott or talk to management and give them some solid research on how lowering their rake will help them raise their profits. Flaming another user isn't part and parcel of either of those things.
Rapini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #25
old hand
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,703
Re: Empress Joliet, IL new 1/2 NL and upcoming changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapini View Post
You're dangerously close to personal attack / trolling territory here.

Why do you think it's a good idea to flame other users on this board for expressing their opinions? Just because you disagree with them? If you really hope to change something, you're going to have to organize a boycott or talk to management and give them some solid research on how lowering their rake will help them raise their profits. Flaming another user isn't part and parcel of either of those things.
How does what you quoted even come close to a personal attack or trolling?! He's just pointing out the obvious.

The more people that let these greedy casinos take advantage of them, the more they will, and the worse it will be for poker in Illinois. I agree these rooms should be boycotted.
Kevin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #26
journeyman
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 283
Re: Empress Joliet, IL new 1/2 NL and upcoming changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post

The more people that let these greedy casinos take advantage of them, the more they will, and the worse it will be for poker in Illinois. I agree these rooms should be boycotted.
Kevin, it's my belief that the problem isn't so much that the casinos in Illinois are greedy (but I wouldn't deny it either) but rather, the Illinois gaming law that's structured in such a way that it's nearly impossible for the casinos to make a profit without instituting abysmal rakes, and payouts in the pits and slots. I don't know if it's still true but one casino in Joliet even charged an admission fee for peopl to come and play.

I don't play in any Illinois casino but occasionally play in NW Indiana poker rooms. Even there the rakes are brutal.
WindyCityJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:13 PM   #27
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Jack Bando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,401
Re: Empress Joliet, IL new 1/2 NL and upcoming changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityJ View Post
I don't know if it's still true but one casino in Joliet even charged an admission fee for peopl to come and play.
I was at Harrah's in 01/2006 and that was not the case
I've been to Empress weekly from 11/2009-2/2010 and that was not the case
Jack Bando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #28
centurion
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 104
Re: Empress Joliet, IL new 1/2 NL and upcoming changes

I have my own personal boycott of rooms that charge high rakes. Since you can't win over the long run and I play poker to win I don't at these cash games. Personally I draw the line at $4 with no BBJ drop. I know there are very few casinos in the US that have rakes this low so I rarely play cash at casinos. Just my personal choice. But when someone calls a $6 rake reasonable I have to laugh. I am sure the casinos and the other players love him.
Bluesdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #29
banned
 
ChicagoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 662
Re: Empress Joliet, IL new 1/2 NL and upcoming changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityJ View Post
Kevin, it's my belief that the problem isn't so much that the casinos in Illinois are greedy (but I wouldn't deny it either) but rather, the Illinois gaming law that's structured in such a way that it's nearly impossible for the casinos to make a profit without instituting abysmal rakes, and payouts in the pits and slots.
I have closely followed Illinois gaming regulations for years. I find WindyCityJís statement to be very accurate. Empress and Hollywood are both owned by Penn National Gaming. Penn National also owns Hollywood Casino in Lawrenceburg Indiana. Anyone who reads the Hollywood Casino (Formerly Argosy) Thread on this forum will find this casino is a good place for poker players. They just finished hosting their first WPT event. I have long been critical of the WPT ignoring the Chicago market. So I was very happy to see the first WPT event run in the Midwest at Hollywood.

Over the past few years we have seen a boom in poker rooms in Illinois. Sadly it wasnít for the poker playerís benefit with current Illinois Gaming Regulations. The Chicago market could easily support 20 plus table poker rooms. What we are seeing is small poker rooms opened to help curb declining casino revenues. So for busy small poker rooms under current state regulations the managementís only option is to raise the rake.

The state of Illinois again has stabbed the casino owners in the back. Now bars will be allowed to have slot machines. As the state eagerly awaits new revenues sources the Illinois casinos braces for another financial hit. So until the state wakes up and realizes they are moving in the wrong direction. If feel that the $6 rake at Empress is reasonable.
ChicagoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #30
centurion
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 104
Re: Empress Joliet, IL new 1/2 NL and upcoming changes

I think for the very first time I agree with something Chicago Joe said (I hope it never happens again). Yes the State of Ill is greedy and takes to much money from the casinos, but that still doesn't make a $6 rake reasonable. Taking a game which you can have a +EV (if you play well) and making it -EV no matter who is responsible is a bad thing and players who continue to play may as well go play Blackjack or Craps.
Bluesdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive