Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Notices

Brick and Mortar Discussions of brick and mortar gambling venues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Heaven
Posts: 88
Application of Table Stakes Rule When Transferring Tables

Part of the table stakes rule says that a player may not take a portion of his chips off the table unless he leaves the game and takes his entire stack out of play.

When transferring to another table of the same game and the same stakes, is there any good, logical, relevant reason for a cardroom to not enforce this rule (as in, forcing the player to take his entire stack rather than allowing him to transfer for a lesser amount)?

Allowing a player to transfer to another table for less than what he has accumulated at his current table is a way for the player to bypass the table stakes rule, yet I have seen this being permitted (admittedly inconsistently) in some rooms, and I'm just wondering what the reason is for allowing this. Is there a good reason?

Also, should there be a distinction between a voluntary transfer and an involuntary transfer (broken game)? If so, what are they and why?

Last edited by RadGrad2005; 03-23-2010 at 06:10 PM.
RadGrad2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
veteran
 
DCJ001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,209
Re: Application of Table Stakes Rule When Transferring Tables

"No" to both questions.
DCJ001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dealer-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dealing with it, one hand at a time
Posts: 6,135
Re: Application of Table Stakes Rule When Transferring Tables

Our room requires player who voluntarily change tables to another game with the same stakes to buy in at the new table for any amount between the minimum and the maximum.

Since we allow player to change tables freely, allowing a player with a huge stack to move to a newly opened table is allowing that player to immedately become the chip leader which is also wrong.

If a short stacked player decided to change tables, he must chip up to the minimum at least when he voluntarily changes tables.

In the case of a table breaking, players are assigned to new tables by high card and they are allowed to take all of their stack if they wish. They do not have to rebuy at the minimum if they are short stacked. The reasoining here is the player is not changing tables willingly so we do not require the polayers to increase or decrease their chips stacks.
Dealer-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 262
Re: Application of Table Stakes Rule When Transferring Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealer-Guy View Post
Since we allow player to change tables freely, allowing a player with a huge stack to move to a newly opened table is allowing that player to immedately become the chip leader which is also wrong.
Do you think it would be better if a player voluntarily transferring tables was able to keep his whole stack if he were moving to a full table, but not if it was a new table? I'm just curious.
bema03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dealer-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dealing with it, one hand at a time
Posts: 6,135
Re: Application of Table Stakes Rule When Transferring Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by bema03 View Post
Do you think it would be better if a player voluntarily transferring tables was able to keep his whole stack if he were moving to a full table, but not if it was a new table? I'm just curious.
No, not IMO. A player accumulates a big stack at one tabel and sees a table with a lot of short stacks on it. He moves over with a stack = to 4 buy ins and runs over the table. No one, except teh big stack player, enjoys that.
Dealer-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 262
Re: Application of Table Stakes Rule When Transferring Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealer-Guy View Post
No, not IMO. A player accumulates a big stack at one tabel and sees a table with a lot of short stacks on it. He moves over with a stack = to 4 buy ins and runs over the table. No one, except teh big stack player, enjoys that.
I guess, but I can also see the flipside. If the player with the big stack is a poor player and he moves to my table, I would like him to have as many chips as possible in play.
bema03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Heaven
Posts: 88
Re: Application of Table Stakes Rule When Transferring Tables

Thanks for your response, Dealer Guy. It does shed a little light for me on why a room would allow a player to transfer for less than what he has accumulated.

Basically, the room you work in has made the choice to sacrifice enforcing table stakes (when transferring tables) in order to avoid the possibility of players at the new table becoming unhappy about a big stack coming in. This keeps everyone at the new table happy (including the player who is effectively going south), which in turn is good for business.

It may, however, upset the players at the table that the big stack moved from as they might have wanted his stack and his action there, especially when not allowing him to transfer for less might have kept him at that table.

Are there any other reasons to allow a player to transfer with less chips than he has accumulated?
RadGrad2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
journeyman
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 221
Re: Application of Table Stakes Rule When Transferring Tables

IMO the potential for players to change tables with the intention of going south are greater than the potential for players to change tables with the intention of picking on the short stacks.
allowing players to remove chips from play is a dangerous game
balgofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 291
Re: Application of Table Stakes Rule When Transferring Tables

Unless a table is a must move game, each time a player changes tables, he is a new player. Allowing them to remove chips is within the rules. They simply cannot go back to their original game (within a certain time frame) without returning with their original stack
Chubrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Heaven
Posts: 88
Re: Application of Table Stakes Rule When Transferring Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
Unless a table is a must move game, each time a player changes tables, he is a new player.
Is this per gaming regulations?
RadGrad2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #11
journeyman
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 221
Re: Application of Table Stakes Rule When Transferring Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
Unless a table is a must move game, each time a player changes tables, he is a new player. Allowing them to remove chips is within the rules. They simply cannot go back to their original game (within a certain time frame) without returning with their original stack

I have played with "hit and run" type players that will hit, cash out, put their name on the list and go for a beer or something for an hour and buy back in for the min. I hate that!!! these types of players would absolutely exploit this changing table/new player rule.

EDIT: idk what the local rule is where i am really but it just goes without saying you dont remove chips from play.
balgofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #12
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AngusThermopyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Floor Yellow
Posts: 12,131
Re: Application of Table Stakes Rule When Transferring Tables

1. It's called "table stakes", not "room stakes" or "game and limit stakes". Table 14 is a completely separate game from Table 42, even though the limit and type are the same.

2. If you move from Table 14 to Table 42, you are treated as a new player. You have to post if a new player has to post. You have to buy in for at least the minimum. If you had a missed blind button on Table 14, you do not get one on Table 42. So why do you want to treat the player differently in just one aspect?

3. I've been playing for 30+ years. For the vast majority of the time and places, the rule has been as D-G states. OP talks like that is an aberration, when in fact it has historically been the norm. Agreed that historically most rooms have been limit poker, but OP's concept of "table stakes" extending to other tables is the aberration.
AngusThermopyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #13
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AngusThermopyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Floor Yellow
Posts: 12,131
Re: Application of Table Stakes Rule When Transferring Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by balgofar View Post
I have played with "hit and run" type players that will hit, cash out, put their name on the list and go for a beer or something for an hour and buy back in for the min. I hate that!!! these types of players would absolutely exploit this changing table/new player rule.

EDIT: idk what the local rule is where i am really but it just goes without saying you dont remove chips from play.
Most all rooms have a rule that you cannot return to a game (without putting down the greater of min buy in and what you cashed out ) in less than half hour or a full hour. That makes abuse of that rule harder if enforced.

Oh, if you can't beat the short stack hit and run guy, that is your problem. ("your" as in everybody else at the table). If you can't beat him, then he is playing better than you and deserves the money.
AngusThermopyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #14
enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Heaven
Posts: 88
Re: Application of Table Stakes Rule When Transferring Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusThermopyle View Post
3. I've been playing for 30+ years. For the vast majority of the time and places, the rule has been as D-G states. OP talks like that is an aberration, when in fact it has historically been the norm. Agreed that historically most rooms have been limit poker, but OP's concept of "table stakes" extending to other tables is the aberration.
If my "aberration" has offended you, then I apologize. I only worded my posts based on what my understanding of the issue was. If my understanding was lacking, then again I apologize, but my reason for posting in the first place was to possibly learn from knowledgeable posters like yourself. So, if you'll forgive my aberration due to my lack of understanding, and instead focus on helping me understand, then hopefully I will not commit anymore "aberrations" in the future.
RadGrad2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #15
banned
 
NOSUP4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 2,694
Re: Application of Table Stakes Rule When Transferring Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadGrad2005 View Post
If my "aberration" has offended you, then I apologize. I only worded my posts based on what my understanding of the issue was. If my understanding was lacking, then again I apologize, but my reason for posting in the first place was to possibly learn from knowledgeable posters like yourself. So, if you'll forgive my aberration due to my lack of understanding, and instead focus on helping me understand, then hopefully I will not commit anymore "aberrations" in the future.
I don't think he was berating you, just making it clear that your characterization of the process was wrong. Most casinos make you buy down to the table max if you choose to switch tables. It's pretty standard. (It also isn't always enforced even when it is a rule, like at Commerce)

Mark
NOSUP4U is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive