Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Psychology Discussions of psychology as applied to poker and other gambling games.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 47,998
Arrow Thoughts on Running Bad

Posted this on my blog and got some decent feedback, thought you all may enjoy it:



http://www.leggopoker.com/blogs/IcyPots/

Quote:
I haven't written a blog on here in quite a while. Over the past year, I've been going through one of the worst downswings of my poker career, and truthfully its just not as fun to blog when you don't have pleasant things to write about. Its been a combination of many things that contributed to my downswing: I lost a ton of money in backing, I took some shots at higher stakes($25/50, $50/100) games that weren't successful, I displayed poor bankroll management in sports betting(betting up to $5000 per game when I clearly shouldn't be), and quite frankly I've run like complete **** this entire past year.

But I'm not writing this blog to complain, and I'm sure as hell not writing it to gather sympathy. Rather, I want to share with everyone how I deal with running badly because I think it may be my biggest strength as a poker player, and its something I routinely see people do horribly wrong. In addition writing this out will only serve as more motivation for me as I try to right the ship.

I've played professionally for six years now, and over that time I've had quite a few close poker friends. And at one time or another, each of them has run worse than they ever thought imaginable and come to me for advice. I always try to give my best advice, but I feel as if it constantly rings hollow when someone who is not running poorly tries to counsel someone who is. The person who is running poorly begins to buy into the absurd notion that the one giving the advice has never experienced such a downswing and, therefore, probably can't truly relate. Therefore, I'd like to take this opportunity to demonstrate that to be false. I am indeed going through one of those times right now, yet I'm going to practice what I preach.

Let me start off with a quick confession: If you've ever come to me whining or complaining about running bad, I probably tried to cheer you up or make you feel better. However, what I was really thinking the entire time you complained to me was how big of a ****ing idiot you are. I probably knew you were in a bad mood and wouldn't take kindly to hearing my true thoughts, so I kept them to myself. But now that I'm the one going through it, I really don't care about holding back. Variance is the lifeblood of poker. Its what keeps the fish coming back. Its what enables us to do what we do for a living. To curse variance the second it turns against you is shortsighted and ignorant. To allow it to affect your game or your work ethic is just beyond stupid. If you're running badly right now, you probably don't want to hear this; You'd probably rather continue to buy into the myth that you're simply unluckier than everyone else because that provides a bit of temporary satisfaction to the masses of idiots who misunderstand the fundamental concepts of variance in poker. However, I think that if you honestly read and consider what I have to say then you'll admit I speak the truth.

I just got back from a vacation home to Maryland to see family and then to New York for a wedding. Plane tickets, rental car, a new suit for the wedding, wedding gifts, hotel stay, nights out with friends, and a bunch of other stuff ended up costing me over $4000. And when I got back and examined my finances, I realized that I was now getting dangerously close to no longer being able to live the lifestyle I've grown accustomed to(some lower stakes players may find it silly that I "need" to spend as much as I do, but imo if you're willing to work for it then you deserve to enjoy the benefits). So I started back grinding by 18-tabling plo8/nlo8 and trying to put in close a minimum of 5000 hands per day. The results sucked. I ran worse and worse despite my increased efforts. And now I find myself right on the brink of having to either make money immediately or cut back on some of my spending habits. I'm choosing to do the former. I'm confident that I can make that choice because I've done it before- My first blogs on this site detailed how I turned $3000 into $80,000 in just over 4 months, and I did it without ever playing over my bankroll(the lone exception being the very beginning when I played live $1/2 NL with only $3000. However, live $1/2 is so ridiculously soft and I played such a safe style that even with only 15 buy-ins I still felt completely comfortable). The method is actually ridiculous simple, but sticking to it seems to be difficult for most. Here it is:



1. Find a poker game that you can beat consistently(this is obviously the tough part, and this blog is aimed mainly at those who have already accomplished this)

2. Make sure you're bankrolled properly for the game

3. Shut up about running badly because honestly nobody cares. Man the **** up, and just get over it. If you're following step #2 then no downswing should ever truly matter.

4. Work your ass off

5. Profit



Thats it! Thats really all there is to it. I will note that many people seem to let negative variance affect their play, and if this is the case then you have to take a step back and double-check that you're still doing step #1. Otherwise, theres nothing else standing between you and your desired financial goals.

The truth of the matter is that people seem to want to find a way to avoid step #4. They see the stories about tournament winners and wonder why that can't be them. Or they focus on the superstars of the poker world who seem to be able to make ridiculous sums of money just by playing a few hands of ultra high stakes games, and they bemoan the fact that they weren't lucky enough to have been born with such natural ability. Or they do anything else to avoid the simple fact that if you are willing to work hard enough for it, then you will be successful enough to laugh if the face of variance. Yes, it is true that, just like in every other field, certain poker players seem to be very successful without putting in a ton of work. But those people make up less than 1% of the player pool. They're no different than the people born into money, the great athletes who seemed to have won the genetic lottery, or the worker who networked his way into a job he never deserved. And focusing on them is just a waste of our time. Not only that, but it causes us to lose sight of all of the blessings we do have as pro poker players. I can decide today that I "feel" like having a lot of money again, and if I put in the proper work then a few months down the road I'll have that money. 99.99% of the general population simply cannot do that. They work predetermined hours for a predetermined salary, and they don't have the option to simply work harder and make more money. Thats not something we should take for granted.

I own all of the DVDs of the TV show Entourage, and over the past few weeks my roommates and I have been watching it the entire way through. My favorite character on the show is by far Ari Gold. At first, it was simply his humor that drew me to him. However, I've also begun to greatly respect the way he goes about his job. He encounters negative variance that is not his fault all the time(for those who haven't watched the show, Ari is an agent and his main client often completely ignores his advice which has caused tremendous problems, as Ari is almost always correct). Yet each and every time, Ari finds himself in a tough spot due to something entirely not his fault he responds by simply working harder. No complaining, no excuses. Just a determination to be the very best. And as a result, hes the absolute best agent in Hollywood. Call me silly for getting inspiration from a fictional character, but I think its a pretty good example.

People are full of excuses for why they can't work hard. Some people will claim that money isn't the only thing so they don't see the reason to work so hard if it doesn't make them happy. Fair enough, I really can't argue with that. However, if thats your excuse, then don't let me ever hear you complain about variance again. If you want to enjoy your easy little life and not work that hard, then you forfeit your right to blame variance for any of your financial shortcomings. Stop blaming variance and realize that the reason you aren't as successful as you wish is due to your own personal decisions. Other people will point out that I'm single and don't know what its like to have to take care of a family while also playing poker for a living. Thats true, as I don't know what its like. However, I do know that you can communicate your financial goals with your family and that it doesn't take a ton of time to let them know that you care and love them each day. I mean, are you really trying to tell me that you just absolutely have to spend all the time you watching TV with your family? Is that really the quality bonding time that you just can't give up? I think that the truth is that people use that as yet another crutch to fall back on in order to explain their poor work ethic. Or yet another excuse I'll hear is that people can't play too many hands before falling off of their "A" game. To me, thats basically like saying "I'm not very mentally tough, and I'm just going to make excuses instead of working to improve on that." There are people in this world who would kill to have a job as easy as playing online poker. Or I've also seen people say that because they are in the middle of a downswing they need to take some time off. Yeah, I'm sure that not working is the solution to your problems.What you really need to do is toughen up and continue to put in the hours.

So there you have it. I'm going to work my ass off these next few months. I'm going to sacrifice doing many of the things I'd enjoy doing in favor of playing more and more poker. And I'm most definitely not going to complain about variance. When I get to where I financially want to be, maybe I'll take things easy again or maybe I'll create new and bigger goals to strive for. I'm not really sure yet. But I do know that I'm not happy where I'm at right now, and instead of making excuses I'm going to man up and work my way into a better position. Next time you find yourself in a downswing, realize that you need to make a decision: Do you want to make excuses and get sympathy from everyone or do you want to do what it takes to be as successful as you want? The choice really is yours, and you need to realize that doing the former is detrimental towards the latter.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
sl8a
Pooh-Bah
 
sl8a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USP
Posts: 4,108
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

Pffffff, this might be one of the best posts on 2p2.
sl8a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
rugmuncher
old hand
 
rugmuncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: getting into photography
Posts: 1,732
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

Very inspiring post.

bookmarked blog page
rugmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:15 AM   #4
crazyhendrix
centurion
 
crazyhendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 141
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

I like it. +1
crazyhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
Riesutas
stranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 10
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

+100000000000000000000
Riesutas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #6
AmbitiousDreamer
old hand
 
AmbitiousDreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,543
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

awesome post man,

seems like me and u have some similarities. I also own all the season of entourage on dvd. and Ari is my fav for sure hahaha. Nice how u disected jimmy pivens character, never thought about it that way. I also believe I tilt a lot less that other people that I know of. by any chance are u a capricorn?

Totally agree on the working hard part and putting in the hours. You cant blame external sources for your failures. A man just deals with it. To put variance in perspective I think of it as a womans period lol, " It's that time of the month again" lol.

Curious what is the worst run bad you ever had? Pain threshold for buy ins lost? When I first started poker I had an 8 buyin downswing, I totally freaked out and thought I must of been doing something wrong. Then a month or 2 later I dropped like 13 buyins in under 3 K hands, super sick, I never knew It could possible happen, thought I plugged up all the leaks. Then last month I dropped like 20 ish buyins, such a cold deck. I totally lost it and had to take a week off poker. I think dropping 10 buyins I start feeling a bit woozy like fighter getting hit by a good right hook. 15+ I'm just barely in the fight anymore , bruised up and legs about to give way. 20 is GG.
AmbitiousDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
droller
adept
 
droller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 927
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

+ 1 good stuff man. Ari Gold is my hero too!

I don't play anywhere near the stakes you do, but I disagree with what you said about continuing to play in a downswing. In most cases, when one is in a downswing, the game is in their head and they are making incorret moves from time to time, which contributes to the downswing. Most players are on tilt during a mass downswing as well.

Taking a couple days off clears your head, and for me, gives me the itch to improve my game and play more hands.
droller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
Asseni Fisher
newbie
 
Asseni Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Stephen Curry's brand new computer
Posts: 24
Arrow Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbitiousDreamer View Post
awesome post man,

seems like me and u have some similarities. I also own all the season of entourage on dvd. and Ari is my fav for sure hahaha. Nice how u disected jimmy pivens character, never thought about it that way. I also believe I tilt a lot less that other people that I know of. by any chance are u a capricorn?

Totally agree on the working hard part and putting in the hours. You cant blame external sources for your failures. A man just deals with it. To put variance in perspective I think of it as a womans period lol, " It's that time of the month again" lol.

Curious what is the worst run bad you ever had? Pain threshold for buy ins lost? When I first started poker I had an 8 buyin downswing, I totally freaked out and thought I must of been doing something wrong. Then a month or 2 later I dropped like 13 buyins in under 3 K hands, super sick, I never knew It could possible happen, thought I plugged up all the leaks. Then last month I dropped like 20 ish buyins, such a cold deck. I totally lost it and had to take a week off poker. I think dropping 10 buyins I start feeling a bit woozy like fighter getting hit by a good right hook. 15+ I'm just barely in the fight anymore , bruised up and legs about to give way. 20 is GG.
Thank you for the positive responses guys. I appreciate any input although my recent situation failed to improve much lately.

I would classify this downswing as my worst since its starting to affect my mental game. Before I could easily avoid mental lapses but now I feel like I'm fighting through them. When I lose a critical pot due to a bad beat, I'm becoming increasingly frustrated. Even when someone picks off my bluff or simply outplays me, I tend to overreact. My confidence regarding my overall games remain intact though. I simply need to find better relaxation solutions in order to improve.

I began with basic internet help. Maybe you could consider this the first step in judging the problem but I actually found various simple website to be very helpful. Even reading forums provides insight. Our problems may seem worlds apart but the solution remains incredibly similar. Sometimes keeping it simple helps. Imagine layers, or an onion, and peeling away until you reach the core which I see as the solution. My all time favorite movie (which I've repeatedly stated since I've joined) is The Shawshank Redemption. I took the "Salvation lies within." line and applied to my troubles. Amazing that positive problem solving stemming from pop culture could help me in my journey.

Quite frankly I am glad I am being forced to deal with this now rather than later down the road. This set back forces me to evaluate everything with my scrutiny. Analyzing more hands, discussing improvements with well respected friends, and of course learning to deal with unnecessary anger. I actually enjoy the challenge believe it or not. I currently view myself as the opponent. I'm in my own head, diligently working to unclog it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droller View Post
+ 1 good stuff man. Ari Gold is my hero too!

I don't play anywhere near the stakes you do, but I disagree with what you said about continuing to play in a downswing. In most cases, when one is in a downswing, the game is in their head and they are making incorret moves from time to time, which contributes to the downswing. Most players are on tilt during a mass downswing as well.

Taking a couple days off clears your head, and for me, gives me the itch to improve my game and play more hands.
Believe me, I've taken this into serious consideration and believe it may be playing a bigger role than I'd like to admit. But I've done statistical analysis and discovered what I thought all along; things just aren't going my head during the most critical junctures. Like Ari Gold, I plan on powering through this difficult time and finding myself an improved poker player and person at the end of each and every day.
Asseni Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
Chilltown
banned
 
Chilltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Steppe
Posts: 39,084
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

Doing drugs helps me with runnin bad.

...Or am I doing drugs because I'm running bad? May need another OP for that...

Last edited by Chilltown; 09-03-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Chilltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
killphilNI
grinder
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Getting the benefit of the doubt
Posts: 600
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

Fantastic post, thanks!
killphilNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
aixelsyd
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Operating the DOOM SWITCH
Posts: 587
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

Great stuff. I totally agree.
aixelsyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 47,998
Arrow Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl8a View Post
Pffffff, this might be one of the best posts on 2p2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugmuncher View Post
Very inspiring post.

bookmarked blog page
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhendrix View Post
I like it. +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by killphilNI View Post
Fantastic post, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
Great stuff. I totally agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riesutas View Post
+100000000000000000000
Thanks guys, appreciate the support.



Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbitiousDreamer View Post
awesome post man,

seems like me and u have some similarities. I also own all the season of entourage on dvd. and Ari is my fav for sure hahaha. Nice how u disected jimmy pivens character, never thought about it that way. I also believe I tilt a lot less that other people that I know of. by any chance are u a capricorn?

Totally agree on the working hard part and putting in the hours. You cant blame external sources for your failures. A man just deals with it. To put variance in perspective I think of it as a womans period lol, " It's that time of the month again" lol.

Curious what is the worst run bad you ever had? Pain threshold for buy ins lost? When I first started poker I had an 8 buyin downswing, I totally freaked out and thought I must of been doing something wrong. Then a month or 2 later I dropped like 13 buyins in under 3 K hands, super sick, I never knew It could possible happen, thought I plugged up all the leaks. Then last month I dropped like 20 ish buyins, such a cold deck. I totally lost it and had to take a week off poker. I think dropping 10 buyins I start feeling a bit woozy like fighter getting hit by a good right hook. 15+ I'm just barely in the fight anymore , bruised up and legs about to give way. 20 is GG.
No, I'm a virgo. Not sure about my biggest downswing because I don't use PokerTracker or anything like that, but I've lost over 75% of my bankroll in the past ~12 months.





Quote:
Originally Posted by droller View Post
+ 1 good stuff man. Ari Gold is my hero too!

I don't play anywhere near the stakes you do, but I disagree with what you said about continuing to play in a downswing. In most cases, when one is in a downswing, the game is in their head and they are making incorret moves from time to time, which contributes to the downswing. Most players are on tilt during a mass downswing as well.

Taking a couple days off clears your head, and for me, gives me the itch to improve my game and play more hands.
Yeah, but I did say:

"I will note that many people seem to let negative variance affect their play, and if this is the case then you have to take a step back and double-check that you're still doing step #1."

So I think we're basically in agreement there.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Asseni Fisher View Post
Thank you for the positive responses guys. I appreciate any input although my recent situation failed to improve much lately.

I would classify this downswing as my worst since its starting to affect my mental game. Before I could easily avoid mental lapses but now I feel like I'm fighting through them. When I lose a critical pot due to a bad beat, I'm becoming increasingly frustrated. Even when someone picks off my bluff or simply outplays me, I tend to overreact. My confidence regarding my overall games remain intact though. I simply need to find better relaxation solutions in order to improve.

I began with basic internet help. Maybe you could consider this the first step in judging the problem but I actually found various simple website to be very helpful. Even reading forums provides insight. Our problems may seem worlds apart but the solution remains incredibly similar. Sometimes keeping it simple helps. Imagine layers, or an onion, and peeling away until you reach the core which I see as the solution. My all time favorite movie (which I've repeatedly stated since I've joined) is The Shawshank Redemption. I took the "Salvation lies within." line and applied to my troubles. Amazing that positive problem solving stemming from pop culture could help me in my journey.

Quite frankly I am glad I am being forced to deal with this now rather than later down the road. This set back forces me to evaluate everything with my scrutiny. Analyzing more hands, discussing improvements with well respected friends, and of course learning to deal with unnecessary anger. I actually enjoy the challenge believe it or not. I currently view myself as the opponent. I'm in my own head, diligently working to unclog it.


Believe me, I've taken this into serious consideration and believe it may be playing a bigger role than I'd like to admit. But I've done statistical analysis and discovered what I thought all along; things just aren't going my head during the most critical junctures. Like Ari Gold, I plan on powering through this difficult time and finding myself an improved poker player and person at the end of each and every day.
It case people didn't notice, this is NOT me(take a look at spelling of first name).




Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilltown View Post
Doing drugs helps me with runnin bad.

...Or am I doing drugs because I'm running bad? May need another OP for that...
Drugs(in moderation and absent of addiction) have greatly helped me be successful at poker.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
Thremp
banned
 
Thremp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: I lurve bewbs
Posts: 36,460
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

lol
Thremp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #14
NozeCandy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NozeCandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lol goofybawler
Posts: 29,251
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

ahahaha asseni
NozeCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #15
NameOnTheCake
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NameOnTheCake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: we're not enemies, we just disagree
Posts: 19,601
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

This paragraph in particular

Quote:
I began with basic internet help. Maybe you could consider this the first step in judging the problem but I actually found various simple website to be very helpful. Even reading forums provides insight. Our problems may seem worlds apart but the solution remains incredibly similar. Sometimes keeping it simple helps. Imagine layers, or an onion, and peeling away until you reach the core which I see as the solution. My all time favorite movie (which I've repeatedly stated since I've joined) is The Shawshank Redemption. I took the "Salvation lies within." line and applied to my troubles. Amazing that positive problem solving stemming from pop culture could help me in my journey.
slayed me
NameOnTheCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #16
C-Viggity
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
C-Viggity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GOOD FEELING
Posts: 27,812
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

jesus asseni never misses
C-Viggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #17
BobboFitos
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BobboFitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 71,403
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

Asseni is as awesome as Assani
BobboFitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #18
MooMooMoo
enthusiast
 
MooMooMoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 91
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

This.Is.The.Nuts
MooMooMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #19
Human A.I.
centurion
 
Human A.I.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 155
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

Should be stickied.

Thanks OP
Human A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:37 AM   #20
datsmahname
Pooh-Bah
 
datsmahname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Interesting comments go here.
Posts: 4,137
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

wow. great post. i just posted some other random thread on downswings & this is really what i was looking for.
datsmahname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #21
HIV
Pooh-Bah
 
HIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bomb on his waist, mask on his face
Posts: 4,547
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

subscribed
HIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #22
blah730235
grinder
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 486
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

<-- Will Start putting links to this thread after someone complains enough about variance.
blah730235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #23
sigurrostyp
adept
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 854
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

Brilliant post. Thanks very much for sharing that with everyone.
sigurrostyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #24
sitngodownonme
centurion
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 128
Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

I've "manned up" the past 3 months and spent as much time studying, reading, reviewing hands, and watching videos as humanly possible. And the downwards spiral has just accelerated. I didn't think a stretch like this was even remotely possible. I've been on a downswing since last October, but the past 3 months has been a death spiral. Live, online, cash, tournies, it doesn't matter. I wish it was just a case of me playing awful, making stupid calls or bad reads, or dumb bluffs. But I keep getting my money in in big pots as big a favorite as possible, and if I win 1 out of 10 it seems like a lot. If I posted my absurd beats from just 3 hours of play today, it would match most peoples beats for a week. And literally, this has been daily.

At least I know I'm now just imagining it, or justifying bad results on awful luck, because I've had a bunch of long time regs and dealers say they've never seen anything like what they're seeing with me the past few months.

I'm past the point of tilt, I have battered wife syndrome now. I know its coming, I fully expect it, and I blame myself when it does. They keep 2 outting me cuz they love me. They keep runner runnering me cuz I didn't have dinner ready on time.
sitngodownonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #25
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 47,998
Arrow Re: Thoughts on Running Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitngodownonme View Post
I've "manned up" the past 3 months and spent as much time studying, reading, reviewing hands, and watching videos as humanly possible. And the downwards spiral has just accelerated. I didn't think a stretch like this was even remotely possible. I've been on a downswing since last October, but the past 3 months has been a death spiral. Live, online, cash, tournies, it doesn't matter. I wish it was just a case of me playing awful, making stupid calls or bad reads, or dumb bluffs. But I keep getting my money in in big pots as big a favorite as possible, and if I win 1 out of 10 it seems like a lot. If I posted my absurd beats from just 3 hours of play today, it would match most peoples beats for a week. And literally, this has been daily.

At least I know I'm now just imagining it, or justifying bad results on awful luck, because I've had a bunch of long time regs and dealers say they've never seen anything like what they're seeing with me the past few months.

I'm past the point of tilt, I have battered wife syndrome now. I know its coming, I fully expect it, and I blame myself when it does. They keep 2 outting me cuz they love me. They keep runner runnering me cuz I didn't have dinner ready on time.
Approx. how many hands have you played over this period of time?
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online