All a "dining top" is is a poker table without legs. Its pretty simple (in concepts. Execution takes experience just like anything else).
1. Buy 2 4x8' sheets of 3/4" thinckness plywood. Measure and cut them into ovals (using a jigsaw) such that the kitchen table underneath is completely covered.
2. Take one of the sheets and cut a 4-6" oval "ring" out. This is your rail. The other (still intact) sheet of plywood is your "base" and playing surface.
3. Cover the "base" with 1/4 inch 2 E-O volara foam and the felt of your choice (go to www.yourautotrim.com
4. Cover the rail with 1", 60 lb HD foam, and cover that with your chosen rail material (i like the padded suede. Vinyl is fine). Make sure that the foam wraps ALL THE WAY AROUND the sides of the rail. (Since they are 3/4" thick, a 4" wide raid should have 5.5" of foam on top of it...4+3/4+3/4=5.5). BUY LOTS OF STAPLES!
5. Attach the rail to the base. VOILA! You have a poker table! Just make sure to use a blanket to protect your kitchen table from scratches!
Need more help...watch my poker table instructional video.