Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Home Poker Discussions of home poker games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #1
Megafish1
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 55
Exclamation 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

Three players limp into Hero (K K) who is on the button and raises to $11. Three callers.

Flop K J 5

Checks around. Hero on button raises to $35.
Folds around to villian who re-raises to $90.

Hero Shoves all in over top for $200.

Villian calls. Asks if we want to run it twice??
Megafish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
sw_emigre
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: end of the world
Posts: 927
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

Run it twice (RIT) is dependent on a whole host of factors. How far into the night you are, how deep people's pockets are, history with the game and with individual players....

tbh RIT if you want, don't if you don't. easy game.
sw_emigre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
Degenfish
adept
 
Degenfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: at craps table with my life savings
Posts: 1,156
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

Literally nothing matters less than how many times you run it. Do what keeps the fish happy
Degenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
Bene Gesserit
Pooh-Bah
 
Bene Gesserit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: my old Kentucky Home
Posts: 5,801
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

If your group is one where nearly everybody will usually RIT ,then maybe you should agree to do it to keep a good group vibe in your home game. If that is not a factor to consider , then likely I would just run 1 time with this situation.
Bene Gesserit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:39 PM   #5
dmccoy87
centurion
 
dmccoy87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 182
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

I personally run it twice out of courtesy.
dmccoy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #6
eneely
newbie
 
eneely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HP, obv
Posts: 9,772
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

I'll always run it two or three times if requested, to be agreeable. I suggest you do the same. The worst thing you can do is sometimes agree and sometimes decline. That's going to create ill will. Either always agree or never agree. Again, I recommend the former.
eneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:49 PM   #7
Megafish1
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 55
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

Ok so the consensus is to either let the other person decide or always RIT. We end up running it twice.

Villian Shows Q 8

First run out has a on the turn. So villain takes first run.

Second run out pairs the board on the turn and we boat up.

If we had run it just once we would have lost. But I feel like when we have such a huge equity advantage we should only run it once.

I like to keep everyone happy and will do whatever the other person wants to do.
Megafish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #8
Jmrode67
adept
 
Jmrode67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bensalem, PA
Posts: 833
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

Running it multiple times only changes variance - your equity edge does not matter.
Jmrode67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #9
sw_emigre
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: end of the world
Posts: 927
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

In my home game circle, I used to always offer to RIT, now I almost never do. The reason is cuz 1-2 players have developed a habit of not topping up, and then shoving really light. It's a decent shortstack strategy, but it makes for boring poker sometimes. So I've decided to only RIO vs shorties, and that has carried over. I could see where if it was a massive 400BB pot or something I would accept to RIT, though not offer, but as stated, that's just variance.
sw_emigre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #10
rainmaker1855
adept
 
rainmaker1855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 707
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

yea, personally I dont do RIT, but if the culture/feel of the game is that is what everyone else is doing, I'll join if asked. same is true with things like straddles etc.
rainmaker1855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #11
Rapid_Fire
journeyman
 
Rapid_Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 247
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

Run it 3 times since you are 60/40 against his combo draw.
Rapid_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #12
the_spike
old hand
 
the_spike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,375
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megafish1 View Post
Three players limp into Hero (K K) who is on the button and raises to $11. Three callers.

Flop K J 5

Checks around. Hero on button raises to $35.
Yes, the ol' check/raise play. I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megafish1 View Post
Asks if we want to run it twice??
Why don't you tell us your thinking on when you might or might not want to run it twice and why, and we'll start the discussion from there.
the_spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:59 PM   #13
the_spike
old hand
 
the_spike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,375
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megafish1 View Post
But I feel like when we have such a huge equity advantage we should only run it once.
And why would your equity make an difference?
the_spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #14
Megafish1
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 55
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_spike View Post
Yes, the ol' check/raise play. I like it.



Why don't you tell us your thinking on when you might or might not want to run it twice and why, and we'll start the discussion from there.
Tell me if I'm wrong. I would want to run it twice if I was drawing and I would only want to run it once if I was on a made hand?
Megafish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:29 PM   #15
Megafish1
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 55
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_spike View Post
And why would your equity make an difference?
I was thinking that if I have more equity I would want to only RIO because of the fact that running it more than once would give them more chances of realizing their equity on a drawing hand.
Megafish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:55 PM   #16
Rapid_Fire
journeyman
 
Rapid_Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 247
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

I guess that is one way to look at it. I've always thought of it from the other perspective as it is a form of insurance to make it more likely that you will receive closer to your equity.

A lot of players will either always do it, or never do it. In our crowd, taking a situational approach is frowned upon. I do it because it tends to reduce bust outs and keep the game going.
Rapid_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:03 AM   #17
Jacksfull123
newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

tell him you'll run it 3 times, odds are you will get 2 of the 3, maybe even all 3 - and will keep the fish happy.

Other than that, and I don't know why, but it tilts me so hard when someone refers to a bet as a raise.
Jacksfull123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #18
jeccross
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,357
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megafish1 View Post
I was thinking that if I have more equity I would want to only RIO because of the fact that running it more than once would give them more chances of realizing their equity on a drawing hand.
You're wrong. RIT reduces the variance but doesn't change the equity. You'll win the whole pot less when RIT and will also lose the whole pot less often.
jeccross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:34 AM   #19
the_spike
old hand
 
the_spike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,375
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw_emigre View Post
In my home game circle, I used to always offer to RIT, now I almost never do. The reason is cuz 1-2 players have developed a habit of not topping up, and then shoving really light. It's a decent shortstack strategy, but it makes for boring poker sometimes.
That is actually a valid argument for not running it twice. Otherwise, I've never really heard any. Normally with full stacks it's best for everyone involved to run it twice or even three times, since it keeps people from busting out and ending the game soon. Also if someone busts out they sometimes get bummed and don't return for awhile. Depends on stakes and your core group, obviously.
the_spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:37 AM   #20
the_spike
old hand
 
the_spike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,375
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megafish1 View Post
Tell me if I'm wrong. I would want to run it twice if I was drawing and I would only want to run it once if I was on a made hand?
I think you're just regurgitating some nonsense you heard someone else say No offense.

You want to run it twice if you want to cut down on your bankroll swings. Also, if you don't want players to bust out as often. If you don't like chopped pots and you want to guarantee (almost) that someone makes some profit, then run it 3 times.
the_spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:40 AM   #21
the_spike
old hand
 
the_spike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,375
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

Think of it this way. Let's say I have AA and you have a flush draw on the flop, and the only way you can win is hitting your flush draw. You have a 1/3 chance of winning. Or in other words, 33% equity. So let's say we're all in and the pot is $600. So you "deserve" $200 and I "deserve" $400. In fact if we made a deal and chopped up the pot that way, that would be even better than running it twice, because it would guarantee we each got our fair share. Of course some people came there to gamble and hopefully double up, not get what they deserve.

But the best way to get what you deserve would be to run it out as many times as you can - put out every card in the deck. That would get you closest to 33%, which is what we really want.
the_spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #22
chillrob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chillrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a dark cloud
Posts: 9,096
Re: 1/2 No Limit Home Poker Game Pocket Kings!!

If you run it twice or three times, or even worse, do equity chops, not only does it ruin the spirit of the game, but in the long run it will work towards killing the games totally. No one likes to lose every session, including bad players who lose overall. They come back because they have winning sessions sometimes. If every hand ends up chopped up by equity, with the lowest variance possible, the bad players would never win. Variance is what keeps them coming back, even if they don't realize it.
chillrob is online now   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online