Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Small Stakes Shorthanded Discussions of small stakes short-handed poker

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #51
WillyT
veteran
 
WillyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wood Shed
Posts: 2,205
Re: 2017! NC/LC THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
just lol poker players. totally ashamed to have been a part of this. I mean, I like to think we werent like this before, but I am proly wrong and we were always insufferable and scummy.
Stoxtradr...
WillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #52
Unguarded
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: worrying what PokerBob thinks of me
Posts: 3,447
Re: 2017! NC/LC THREAD

I do feel like I notice a huge difference between poker and chess when it comes to the % of the players who are scumbags. Poker players aren't the worst of the worst by any means, but I do feel like we are on the same level as strippers and used car salesmen. I find almost all poker players to be a bit "off" compared to the general population, though often in a fairly harmless way.

As far as horrible people/sociopaths/scumbags etc., I personally don't feel the need to punish their behavior because I feel like they are already suffering enough even though they do not realize it. People who just go around hustling, scamming, bullying, ****ing everything that moves, getting wasted all the time, etc. are basically living like animals. They are not capable of experiencing the level of happiness that thoughtful, reflective, loving human beings experience. They are essentially wasting their humanity imo by impulsively and repeatedly seeking instant gratification. As an example, imagine a guy who cheats at chess online. He gets to experience the immediate thrill of beating titled players and having a high rating, but his levels of satisfaction and fulfillment cannot begin to compare to those of a hard-working titled player who earned his skills through hard work and love for the game. One could argue that the cheater likely experiences low self-esteem or even hates himself which drives him to cheat. But let's suppose he genuinely doesn't feel any remorse and will always get off on this type of behavior. This must be a pathetic and miserable existence. He is living a life that would make most of us instantly suicidal, but is not even capable of understanding what he is missing out on. Letting these types of people roll around in their own feces is their worst punishment imo. Enlightening them or throwing them in jail or whatever can only make their lives better. In the past, I have felt bad for such people and sought to help them change. But fortunately, it eventually occurred to me that the world is full of good people who are far more deserving of my efforts. Instead of trying to rehabilitate scumbags which almost never works anyway, why not spend that energy working with kids or doing cool things for friends and family?

On a more important note, do you have any plans to play in the Chicago Open or any other big chess tournaments this year? It'd be nice to see your tilty ass outside of the Commerce hell!
Unguarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:25 PM   #53
Wolfram
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Wolfram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: You can be my wingman any time
Posts: 14,260
Re: 2017! NC/LC THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready4abattle? View Post
I already implicitly admitted that what I did was dangerous. "1000x" is obviously ridiculously absurd; she's the one in the wrong lane, dog.

To say that what I did was "1000x"(lol) more WRONG???? Oh my god, **** you. I don't have anything else to say to that claim other than **** you.
Yes, my 1000x was hyperbolic, but what you did was breaking a fundamental traffic rule. When someone is overtaking you, you can not under any circumstances try to prevent them from doing that. It escalates an already risky situation into an incredibly risky one.

So what if she's speeding? You are not the police. Besides the speeding she did absolutely nothing wrong.
Wolfram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #54
that_pope
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
that_pope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Casino AZ
Posts: 21,469
Re: 2017! NC/LC THREAD

How's Jimmy Johns?
that_pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:04 PM   #55
networth
veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: sochi
Posts: 2,182
Re: 2017! NC/LC THREAD

How did you know I had JJ for the first time ever for lunch today. It sucked. Driving is never the time to take a stand. I offer a Friendly School of Driving class for only $350 if you are interested. I like the new UG. Very hip(py) and philosophical.
networth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #56
BigBadBabar
California Elephant
 
BigBadBabar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: I finished my website!
Posts: 21,078
Re: 2017! NC/LC THREAD

when i play blitz chess online and the guy has white for the first game, wins, and doesn't accept my rematch offer - it's just like getting buttoned in poker. so in that way poker has prepared me some to resist chess tilt.
BigBadBabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:57 PM   #57
Unguarded
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: worrying what PokerBob thinks of me
Posts: 3,447
Re: 2017! NC/LC THREAD

DougL and Bicyclekick's modtrollness rubbing off on BBB!
Unguarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:48 PM   #58
Ready4abattle?
stranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 14
Re: 2017! NC/LC THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unguarded View Post
I do feel like I notice a huge difference between poker and chess when it comes to the % of the players who are scumbags. Poker players aren't the worst of the worst by any means, but I do feel like we are on the same level as strippers and used car salesmen. I find almost all poker players to be a bit "off" compared to the general population, though often in a fairly harmless way.

As far as horrible people/sociopaths/scumbags etc., I personally don't feel the need to punish their behavior because I feel like they are already suffering enough even though they do not realize it. People who just go around hustling, scamming, bullying, ****ing everything that moves, getting wasted all the time, etc. are basically living like animals. They are not capable of experiencing the level of happiness that thoughtful, reflective, loving human beings experience. They are essentially wasting their humanity imo by impulsively and repeatedly seeking instant gratification. As an example, imagine a guy who cheats at chess online. He gets to experience the immediate thrill of beating titled players and having a high rating, but his levels of satisfaction and fulfillment cannot begin to compare to those of a hard-working titled player who earned his skills through hard work and love for the game. One could argue that the cheater likely experiences low self-esteem or even hates himself which drives him to cheat. But let's suppose he genuinely doesn't feel any remorse and will always get off on this type of behavior. This must be a pathetic and miserable existence. He is living a life that would make most of us instantly suicidal, but is not even capable of understanding what he is missing out on. Letting these types of people roll around in their own feces is their worst punishment imo. Enlightening them or throwing them in jail or whatever can only make their lives better. In the past, I have felt bad for such people and sought to help them change. But fortunately, it eventually occurred to me that the world is full of good people who are far more deserving of my efforts. Instead of trying to rehabilitate scumbags which almost never works anyway, why not spend that energy working with kids or doing cool things for friends and family?

On a more important note, do you have any plans to play in the Chicago Open or any other big chess tournaments this year? It'd be nice to see your tilty ass outside of the Commerce hell!
I don't agree with your argument. I understand it, but it seems to me that the scumbag's own perception is all that matters in terms of his happiness. I mean, really, I don't even know if these people are capable of having the existential crises you're talking about.

I definitely agree with the part I bolded. Trying to fix a scumbag's behavior is almost always just tilting at windmills. I'm still gonna try, though! For humanity!

I've been thinking about Chicago Open. I want some revenge on that U2300 section and have been doing some good chess work. Unfortunately, I probably won't have enough money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
Yes, my 1000x was hyperbolic, but what you did was breaking a fundamental traffic rule. When someone is overtaking you, you can not under any circumstances try to prevent them from doing that. It escalates an already risky situation into an incredibly risky one.

So what if she's speeding? You are not the police. Besides the speeding she did absolutely nothing wrong.
I hear you, but it seems immoral to just give carte blanche to scumbags to continue to exploit and abuse other humans. Had I not acted, she would probably have had little idea that she acted unacceptably. I knew I was increasing the risk of the situation.

To your second paragraph: I certainly didn't care that she was speeding. I cared that she committed an illegal, immoral, and dangerous act. I must have not explained it clearly, because your last sentence makes no sense. It's definitely illegal to pass anybody on this road, as the entire street has the two solid yellow lines, not the one solid and one dotted line. And regardless of the legality, it's certainly a dangerous act on this wooded, narrow road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBabar View Post
when i play blitz chess online and the guy has white for the first game, wins, and doesn't accept my rematch offer - it's just like getting buttoned in poker. so in that way poker has prepared me some to resist chess tilt.
No it's not, at least if you're in a pool. There's no automatic rematch social convention in an online pool. That's kind of the point of a pool, you can get an entirely new opponent immediately after the conclusion of your game. Your whites and blacks are gonna balance out very very close to 50/50 in the long run, unlike if you're getting buttoned all the time in poker.

I admit that I tilt hard when people don't resign in the typical spot where I'm up all sorts of material, but I have only 40 seconds left to their 1:10, etc. Not sure my view is justifiable, but it does seem very gentlemanly to resign in that spot. I also hate it when people won't take a draw in ultra-dead-drawn positions in order to flag you. Of course, I'll also, like, snap-resign in a 3 minute game when I drop a pawn, even if there's still plenty of play left, so I'm weird like that.

Last edited by Ready4abattle?; 03-23-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Ready4abattle? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:16 PM   #59
Ready4abattle?
stranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 14
Re: 2017! NC/LC THREAD

Protip: If you're going to be stoned as you play, play 5 minute games, not 3m. Those two minutes might not seem like a big deal, but it's way more embarrassing to have 38 seconds vs. 2:36 left on move 14 than the 5m equivalent.

However, if you're drinking, always play 3 minute, and listen to rap music.
Ready4abattle? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM   #60
Unguarded
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: worrying what PokerBob thinks of me
Posts: 3,447
Re: 2017! NC/LC THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready4abattle? View Post
I don't agree with your argument. I understand it, but it seems to me that the scumbag's own perception is all that matters in terms of his happiness. I mean, really, I don't even know if these people are capable of having the existential crises you're talking about.

I definitely agree with the part I bolded. Trying to fix a scumbag's behavior is almost always just tilting at windmills. I'm still gonna try, though! For humanity!

I've been thinking about Chicago Open. I want some revenge on that U2300 section and have been doing some good chess work. Unfortunately, I probably won't have enough money.
Fwiw, my point was that these people are not, in fact, capable of having the existential crises you refer to just as animals are not... at least without our assistance.

I am definitely planning to play at the Chicago Open. I will be in the U1700 division unless I run extremely hot this weekend and break 1700 which is extremely unlikely considering I would need to beat an expert to earn that many points. Chess is so much fun and I am totally addicted! I hope you run hot between now and then and can afford to make the trip!
Unguarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM   #61
Wolfram
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Wolfram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: You can be my wingman any time
Posts: 14,260
Re: 2017! NC/LC THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready4abattle? View Post
To your second paragraph: I certainly didn't care that she was speeding. I cared that she committed an illegal, immoral, and dangerous act. I must have not explained it clearly, because your last sentence makes no sense. It's definitely illegal to pass anybody on this road, as the entire street has the two solid yellow lines, not the one solid and one dotted line. And regardless of the legality, it's certainly a dangerous act on this wooded, narrow road.
Whoa, my bad, I completely misread that. Now I understand your outrage better.

And I have to admit, when people tailgate me when I'm doing 10 above the max I've been known to brake check them the odd time. But I berate myself afterwards because its dangerous and more importantly, pointless.
Wolfram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM   #62
phunkphish
veteran
 
phunkphish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,556
Re: 2017! NC/LC THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkphish View Post
They insist it was my connection, not theirs. =\ No compensation. I'll look into getting a backup connection, or keep my phone on hand and see if I can insta-tether the times my connections dies. Still a pain.
Playing on 4 tables on Bodog. I have set up a backup internet connection. I get a disconnect message across all 4 tables. Aha! I quickly switch my connection to my backup. When I reconnect, I've been logged out of all 4 of my tables. There is a message saying that I am not allowed to simultaneously play at a table and view the table from the same account.

*facepalm*

There is no winning.
phunkphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM   #63
AndyBernard6
adept
 
AndyBernard6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 981
Re: 2017! NC/LC THREAD

lol I misread that too elo, but it didn't really matter for your case imo. Even ambulances aren't that daring.
AndyBernard6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM   #64
AndyBernard6
adept
 
AndyBernard6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 981
Re: 2017! NC/LC THREAD

















And one more for Pope:
Spoiler:

Last edited by AndyBernard6; Yesterday at 01:58 PM.
AndyBernard6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM   #65
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 24,707
Re: 2017! NC/LC THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by networth View Post
How did you know I had JJ for the first time ever for lunch today. It sucked.
I didn't like it the first time I tried it either. So I tried it a second time. Still sucked. Although there's a contingent in the Fast Food thread that loves it.

Quote:
Driving is never the time to take a stand. I offer a Friendly School of Driving class for only $350 if you are interested. I like the new UG. Very hip(py) and philosophical.
Isn't that the same as the old UG?
pig4bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online