Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Politics version 7.0 more politics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #26
juan valdez
Pooh-Bah
 
juan valdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,774
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Peter View Post
Ok, but how do they contradict actual science? What exactly are they teaching that's incorrect?

More importantly, why do you care? Are transgenders hiding under your bed and scaring you?
Interesting response proff

It contradicts womens studies directly. Check some journals or something if youre not familiar

Why do i care? Would you believe me if i told you they were successfully attacking free speech?
juan valdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:26 AM   #27
leavesofliberty
Pooh-Bah
 
leavesofliberty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: atlas shreeked
Posts: 4,699
Re: Gender studies

juan, I am admittedly inclined to agree (lol gender studies) if you only gave some more/any evidence to back-up claims. It's not a very high bar mind-you.
leavesofliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:33 AM   #28
Black Peter
veteran
 
Black Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Pass
Posts: 2,573
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
Interesting response proff

It contradicts womens studies directly.
What contradicts womens studies? Transgender studies?


Quote:
Why do i care? Would you believe me if i told you they were successfully attacking free speech?
How?
Black Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #29
Black Peter
veteran
 
Black Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Pass
Posts: 2,573
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavesofliberty View Post
juan, I am admittedly inclined to agree (lol gender studies) if you only gave some more/any evidence to back-up claims. It's not a very high bar mind-you.
I don't think he knows how to do that; thus, the avoidance behavior.
Black Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #30
Black Peter
veteran
 
Black Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Pass
Posts: 2,573
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by well named View Post
I'm not, honestly. I don't recall you posting any sources that substantiate that the majority of social science research is fraudulent, for example. If you've posted anything that substantiates the claims in the post I quoted then I've missed it.
My bad. I mistook you for another poster. Here is the post where i outline some of the fraud cases and failures to replicate.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...&postcount=335

Btw, i did NOT say that the majority are fraudulent. I said:

Quote:
Psychology and its related fields (psychiatry, sociology, etc) is so full of fraud and poorly conducted research that it's become almost useless to try to parse out the good studies.
Black Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #31
juan valdez
Pooh-Bah
 
juan valdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,774
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Peter View Post
What contradicts womens studies? Transgender studies?




How?
Womens studies directly contradict science. The studies cited in the video i posted completely demolish what is taught in womens studies

If you didnt know that scientific abominations like transgender proffessors were successfully attacking free speech its a little too late to take the smug tone out of your previous posts but you could still ask me nicely to help you out if you cant figure it out on your own
juan valdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #32
Black Peter
veteran
 
Black Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Pass
Posts: 2,573
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
Womens studies directly contradict science. The studies cited in the video i posted completely demolish what is taught in womens studies

If you didnt know that scientific abominations like transgender proffessors were successfully attacking free speech its a little too late to take the smug tone out of your previous posts but you could still ask me nicely to help you out if you cant figure it out on your own
lol

Quote:
I don't think he knows how to do that; thus, the avoidance behavior.
Black Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #33
juan valdez
Pooh-Bah
 
juan valdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,774
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Peter View Post
My bad. I mistook you for another poster. Here is the post where i outline some of the fraud cases and failures to replicate.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...&postcount=335

Btw, i did NOT say that the majority are fraudulent. I said:
There is certainly fraudulent nonsense full of bias going on. Double blind placebo is the gold standard for a reason. Image the difference between scientists conducting scientific reasearch with a genuine interest in the truth vs a women or trans conducting studies to become resources for trans and womens studies courses. Its so political and biased its absurd. The most obvious cases of this are the wage gap nonsense that even obama and hilary will parrot. Its completely unscientific garbage. Also sexual assault stats

Trans professors and womens studies are propagating 7th grade level research that is totally false
juan valdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #34
NoQuarter
old hand
 
NoQuarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Truth is a menace I heRd
Posts: 1,440
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Peter View Post
Are transgenders hiding under your bed and scaring you?
To be fair, Transgenders can be pretty scary... 4:44



Not sure if you are familiar, but this manifesto can be considered a little scary as well...



Quote:
Tremble, hetero swine, when we apear before you without our masks

Last edited by NoQuarter; 01-07-2017 at 10:56 AM.
NoQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #35
Black Peter
veteran
 
Black Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Pass
Posts: 2,573
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
To be fair, Transgenders can be pretty scary... 4:44



Not sure if you are familiar, but this manifesto can be considered a little scary as well...

Lol. Scary sh*t from the 80s.
Black Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #36
leavesofliberty
Pooh-Bah
 
leavesofliberty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: atlas shreeked
Posts: 4,699
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Peter View Post
I posted my sources awhile back. You are well aware of them.

Or I might have confused you with someone else. I'll post them again tomorrow.
I also was disappointed to see the lack of support in this branch. I mean, can you two take the argument about nothing to Student Life, or hand me an article or two? I've never taken a GS class because of its reputation, but Donny is out of his element ITT.
leavesofliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #37
NoQuarter
old hand
 
NoQuarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Truth is a menace I heRd
Posts: 1,440
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Peter View Post
Lol. Scary sh*t from the 80s.
Phew!! Good thing its 2017 and all them folks are gone!!

Edit: replaced original OP with just full transcript of manifesto
NoQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #38
Black Peter
veteran
 
Black Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Pass
Posts: 2,573
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavesofliberty View Post
I also was disappointed to see the lack of support in this branch. I mean, can you two take the argument about nothing to Student Life, or hand me an article or two? I've never taken a GS class because of its reputation, but Donny is out of his element ITT.
Psychology’s Replication Crisis Can’t Be Wished Away:

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/a...d-away/472272/

This dipsh*t didn't even get fired for his fraud:

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2012/...tion-concludes

This one did:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diederik_Stapel

As did this one:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...d-bad-practice

More bad news for shrinks:

Quote:
Reproducibility is a defining feature of science, but the extent to which it characterizes current research is unknown. We conducted replications of 100 experimental and correlational studies published in three psychology journals using high-powered designs and original materials when available. Replication effects were half the magnitude of original effects, representing a substantial decline. Ninety-seven percent of original studies had statistically significant results. Thirty-six percent of replications had statistically significant results; 47% of original effect sizes were in the 95% confidence interval of the replication effect size; 39% of effects were subjectively rated to have replicated the original result; and if no bias in original results is assumed, combining original and replication results left 68% with statistically significant effects. Correlational tests suggest that replication success was better predicted by the strength of original evidence than by characteristics of the original and replication teams.
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/349/6251/aac4716

Psychologists apparently can't do stats very well. Screw up 50% of the time:

http://www.nature.com/news/smart-sof...papers-1.18657

One in eight Psych papers contained a grossly inconsistent p-value that may have affected the statistical conclusion:

http://link.springer.com/article/10....428-015-0664-2

systematic bias in favor of significant results:

http://link.springer.com/article/10....428-015-0664-2
Black Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #39
Black Peter
veteran
 
Black Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Pass
Posts: 2,573
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
Phew!! Good thing its 2017 and all them folks are gone!!
Sounds like you didn't have a father figure who could teach you how not to be a wuss.
Black Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:20 PM   #40
13ball
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
13ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: No Quarter is a Sandy Hook Truther
Posts: 11,991
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Peter View Post
Psychology’s Replication Crisis Can’t Be Wished Away:

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/a...d-away/472272/

This dipsh*t didn't even get fired for his fraud:

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2012/...tion-concludes

This one did:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diederik_Stapel

As did this one:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...d-bad-practice

More bad news for shrinks:



http://science.sciencemag.org/content/349/6251/aac4716

Psychologists apparently can't do stats very well. Screw up 50% of the time:

http://www.nature.com/news/smart-sof...papers-1.18657

One in eight Psych papers contained a grossly inconsistent p-value that may have affected the statistical conclusion:

http://link.springer.com/article/10....428-015-0664-2

systematic bias in favor of significant results:

http://link.springer.com/article/10....428-015-0664-2
A lot of your links are dead for me, but what is the evidence that these problems are limited to psychology? Reproducibility and false positives are related to publishers wanting "new" results and the File Drawer Problem, which are problems across all disciplines. Maybe psychology is worse? I don't know, but it's not clear from what you've posted.
13ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #41
kioshk
Nixonian
 
kioshk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: now Watergate does not bother me
Posts: 89,707
Re: Gender studies

I heard in this type of fake discipline, the profs just male it in.
kioshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:31 PM   #42
13ball
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
13ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: No Quarter is a Sandy Hook Truther
Posts: 11,991
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
I will provide citation
When? I watched part of your youtoob and I have no idea what argument you're trying to make here.
13ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #43
13ball
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
13ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: No Quarter is a Sandy Hook Truther
Posts: 11,991
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kioshk View Post
I heard in this type of fake discipline, the profs just male it in.
That's why it's called manipulation.
13ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:35 PM   #44
Black Peter
veteran
 
Black Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Pass
Posts: 2,573
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ball View Post
A lot of your links are dead for me, but what is the evidence that these problems are limited to psychology? Reproducibility and false positives are related to publishers wanting "new" results and the File Drawer Problem, which are problems across all disciplines. Maybe psychology is worse? I don't know, but it's not clear from what you've posted.
This is what i said:
Quote:
Psychology and its related fields (psychiatry, sociology, etc) is so full of fraud and poorly conducted research that it's become almost useless to try to parse out the good studies.
Black Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #45
Noodle Wazlib
just about tolerable
 
Noodle Wazlib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Drowning in robot chocolate
Posts: 9,183
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ball View Post
When? I watched part of your youtoob and I have no idea what argument you're trying to make here.
i'm sure it's just another case of an internet lolbertarian getting his online diploma from utoobz university
Noodle Wazlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #46
Black Peter
veteran
 
Black Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Pass
Posts: 2,573
Re: Gender studies

More trouble looming in Psychology.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2017/01...textbooks.html
Black Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #47
Abbaddabba
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,983
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Peter View Post
Psychology’s Replication Crisis Can’t Be Wished Away:

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/a...d-away/472272/

This dipsh*t didn't even get fired for his fraud:

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2012/...tion-concludes

This one did:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diederik_Stapel

As did this one:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...d-bad-practice

More bad news for shrinks:



http://science.sciencemag.org/content/349/6251/aac4716

Psychologists apparently can't do stats very well. Screw up 50% of the time:

http://www.nature.com/news/smart-sof...papers-1.18657

One in eight Psych papers contained a grossly inconsistent p-value that may have affected the statistical conclusion:

http://link.springer.com/article/10....428-015-0664-2

systematic bias in favor of significant results:

http://link.springer.com/article/10....428-015-0664-2
None of these problems are unique to these fields. It's a symptom of a system that rewards publishing content without any consideration for the value of the work being done coupled with the fact that people in these fields generally have weak quant skills.

The victim in all cases are the students.

But this is what you get when organizations are able to sell goods/services where the benefits are very difficult to quantify, and the groups that're given the ability to grant accreditation are doing a really piss poor job of guiding people into programs that're cost effective (in large part because no one can agree on what the objectives even are).

Last edited by Abbaddabba; 01-07-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Abbaddabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #48
Black Peter
veteran
 
Black Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Pass
Posts: 2,573
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbaddabba View Post
None of these problems are unique to these fields. It's a symptom of a system that rewards publishing content without any consideration for the value of the work being done coupled with the fact that people in these fields generally have weak quant skills.
Correct. But Psychology and other social sciences are doing much worse in this area. About 95% of psych journal articles have matching alternative hypotheses with data, while this number falls to <50% with physical sciences. This doesn't even get into the low N's, the inflated effect sizes, etc.


Quote:
The victim in all cases are the students.
And the general public who believes the nonsense.
Black Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #49
Abbaddabba
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,983
Re: Gender studies

Does the general public care what an unknown PHD has written? When the results of the study start affecting people there're plenty of reasonable academics who'll scrutinize the work.
Abbaddabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:52 PM   #50
Black Peter
veteran
 
Black Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Pass
Posts: 2,573
Re: Gender studies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbaddabba View Post
Does the general public care what an unknown PHD has written? When the results of the study start affecting people there're plenty of reasonable academics who'll scrutinize the work.
I disagree. There are a LOT of people who take Intro to Psych. It's required at most universities in the core requirements. The link above shows that many Intro to Psych books are deeply flawed.

For example, there are a lot of widespread beliefs in the general public about priming, yet over half the priming studies in the past 5 years did not replicate.

Even more importantly, much of this nonsense spills over into the clinical fields, where therapists are using techniques that do not replicate under scrutiny.

Most reasonable academics will NOT scrutinize the works. Here is why:

1) Most journals will not publish replication studies. In fact, the replication project started by Hal Pashler has not done very well because the researchers don't get anything out of it (e.g. publications).

2) Many are afraid of offending their colleagues and stay away from it. Some statisticians like Uri Simonsohn don't care, but there are few like him.

3) It's hard to replicate a study and often takes a lot of time and money that researchers don't have. Granting agencies won't fund this. Methods section in journal articles are not detailed enough to do the replication without getting additional info from the authors. The original authors usually won't play along bc they know they're under attack. Raw data gets "lost".
Black Peter is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online