Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Politics version 7.0 more politics.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #101
jjshabado
Carpal Tunnel
 
jjshabado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,627
Re: Gender pay gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
thanks for sharing david but im not sure if any of that is relevant. i don't think people in the work place or those justice warrioring on their behalf believe that the reason they are not negotiating a raise is because "they don't think its the right thing to do". being bitter and resentful to the "1%" and "the man" is actually built in to their core beliefs of "success" being a result of oppression (unless its their own)
Ignoring the complete nonsense portions of your post, the person you're sitting across (hiring manager or your boss) is a person (and not 'the man' or 'the 1%') who you expect to have or already have some relationship with. There are lots of people that would prefer to sacrifice some salary EV to avoid having a potentially strained relationship with that person.
jjshabado is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #102
well named
poorly undertitled
 
well named's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: esse est coesse
Posts: 73,005
Re: Gender pay gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshabado View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletom View Post
Also, there are studies showing that unmarried women without children, i.e. women who have no role or a small role in any kind of family life making them similar to most men, are actually paid higher than their male counterparts.
Post them. Let's take a look!
I went looking for this out of general interest. I couldn't find any actual studies, but this is the closest thing I found:

Quote:
The fact that the average American working woman earns only about 8o% of what the average American working man earns has been something of a festering sore for at least half the population for several decades. And despite many programs and analyses and hand-wringing and badges and even some legislation, the figure hasn't budged much in the past five years.

But now there's evidence that the ship may finally be turning around: according to a new analysis of 2,000 communities by a market research company, in 147 out of 150 of the biggest cities in the U.S., the median full-time salaries of young women are 8% higher than those of the guys in their peer group. In two cities, Atlanta and Memphis, those women are making about 20% more. This squares with earlier research from Queens College, New York, that had suggested that this was happening in major metropolises. But the new study suggests that the gap is bigger than previously thought, with young women in New York City, Los Angeles and San Diego making 17%, 12% and 15% more than their male peers, respectively. And it also holds true even in reasonably small areas like the Raleigh-Durham region and Charlotte in North Carolina (both 14% more), and Jacksonville, Fla. (6%).

http://content.time.com/time/busines...015274,00.html
The previous Queen's College research that they mention is discussed in this NY Times article

There's a Politifact article which discussed all of this and presents some of the caveats here.

The most important point, and it's the same point that is often made about the 80% statistic, is that while this particular measurement isolates a more specific population -- people in their 20s in major metropolitan areas -- like the 80% statistic it also doesn't control at all for variables like education. If you interpret the word "counterpart" in turtletom's claim that these women are paid more than "their male counterparts" to mean a comparison that controls for education or occupation, then his claim is incorrect. If "counterpart" just means young men at about the same age, then the claim is almost correct, he just forgot to specify that this data is limited to people living in cities.

And, of course, if one objects to people implying that the 80% statistic is a measure of discrimination then obviously this statistic also is not a measure of reverse discrimination. As the author of the original research put it, in the Politifact article:

Quote:
Chung said it "would be totally incorrect to imply that these women outearn men with similar jobs or similar educations."....

In the case of Chung’s findings, the reason why young women in metropolitan areas earn more than young men is that they are 50 percent more likely to graduate from college.
A few other random observatiosn

1) The Time article takes this as evidence of the narrowing of the wage gap in general, but I don't think that conclusion is supported by the totality of the available evidence. That is, I think they see that the most general measure of the gap has reversed among young women and extrapolate out that, as those women get older, they'll maintain parity. But the gap has been narrower for younger women than for older women for quite some time now, and the overall gap (after accounting for education/work experience/etc, c.f. fig. 2 from the NBER study) has been very static for almost 30 years.

2) I think the data supports the point that a large part of the general wage gap involves problems of balancing work and domestic life. That is, the motherhood penalty. What I don't agree with is the attitude that consigns women only to a domestic role and values that role less than the traditionally masculine role of bread-winner. Especially given that the motherhood-penalty/fatherhood-bonus doesn't reduce to a mere difference in work experience or expertise. On that point, cf. the NBER study Table 2. But it is true that the reason the gap is smallest for younger women, or even nonexistent in specific sub-populations, is that this factor doesn't come into play.

3) Someone could argue that, in the longer term, the ongoing trend where more women are graduating from college than men, or just the general trend of women outperforming men in education, is going to cause a social problem all on its own, and that while things like increasing the numbers of women in STEM are absolutely worthwhile, we need to encourage boys and young men to pursue education as well. I'm sympathetic to that argument, and Chung's data shows why it may become more important.
well named is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 01:09 PM   #103
pokerodox
The Situation
 
pokerodox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: can never leave
Posts: 4,015
Re: Gender pay gap

Great work, as usual, well named. I thought I had read something that was controlled for education, and that said the unmarried women with no kids (and same education) out-earned men of same marriage/kids/education status. I will try to look for it as well.
pokerodox is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #104
jjshabado
Carpal Tunnel
 
jjshabado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,627
Re: Gender pay gap

Good write up.

Quote:
In the case of Chung’s findings, the reason why young women in metropolitan areas earn more than young men is that they are 50 percent more likely to graduate from college.
Yeah... this seems like a really really big caveat. It's why I like to make these guys post their sources. Because even when they're not just blatanly lying, its almost always the case that they completely misunderstood/mistated the study that they're quoting.


Quote:
Originally Posted by well named View Post
If "counterpart" just means young men at about the same age, then the claim is almost correct, he just forgot to specify that this data is limited to people living in cities.
It's more than this. He claimed it as "unmarried women without children". Young women are not the same as "unmarried women without children". And in fact, I'd be willing to bet good money that older "unmarried women without children" are making less than their counterparts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by well named View Post
2) I think the data supports the point that a large part of the general wage gap involves problems of balancing work and domestic life. That is, the motherhood penalty. What I don't agree with is the attitude that consigns women only to a domestic role and values that role less than the traditionally masculine role of bread-winner.
These threads rarely get to the point of talking about this because we're usually stuck getting people to realize there's a problem.

I agree completely with this. It's why I think things like parental leave (vs maternity leave) are so important. But even here in Canada where either parent can take the majority of the time off, women take the majority of it. Although certainly its not-rare for a husband to take a portion of it as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by well named View Post
and that while things like increasing the numbers of women in STEM are absolutely worthwhile, we need to encourage boys and young men to pursue education as well. I'm sympathetic to that argument, and Chung's data shows why it may become more important.
Yeah, definitely. But these are in many ways different problems. And so while the symptoms of the problems (earning money) may overlap, they require very different approaches. I don't think the majority of people fighting for more equal wages are against approaches to encourage young men to get an education.
jjshabado is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #105
juan valdez
Pooh-Bah
 
juan valdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,923
Re: Gender pay gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerodox View Post
Great work, as usual, well named. I thought I had read something that was controlled for education, and that said the unmarried women with no kids (and same education) out-earned men of same marriage/kids/education status. I will try to look for it as well.
in the context of what obama, hilary, the media, college professors, and general public are pedaling, this is really just another demonstration of how dishonest the whole narrative is. the narrative is that society is sexist and there is a 23 cent wage gap. what you provided is another piece demolishing how absurd this is

what has been shown is that women are doing better in the education system and better before they have children. we have a 6-12 cent wage gap overall that isnt explained by sexism. thats light years from the narrative which is divisive and full of resentment

now well named does bring up some questions that are worth looking in to and understanding those things is important, but it certainly isn't going to tell you that society is sexist against women and women doing better in the education system and upon graduation is just slight of hand
juan valdez is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #106
juan valdez
Pooh-Bah
 
juan valdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,923
Re: Gender pay gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshabado View Post
the person you're sitting across (hiring manager or your boss) is a person (and not 'the man' or 'the 1%') who you expect to have or already have some relationship with. There are lots of people that would prefer to sacrifice some salary EV to avoid having a potentially strained relationship with that person.
i agree. so what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshabado View Post
Ignoring the complete nonsense portions of your post
please don't. the SJW's have been asked to stop throwing around labels and articulate thoughts and ideas. articulate what part of my post was nonsense and why. once again my magic 8 ball says you will fail to do this. for some reason this magic 8 ball is right every time, including the last time you were asked to articulate something
juan valdez is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #107
David Sklansky
Administrator
 
David Sklansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 13,743
Re: Gender pay gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
thanks for sharing david but im not sure if any of that is relevant. i don't think people in the work place or those justice warrioring on their behalf believe that the reason they are not negotiating a raise is because "they don't think its the right thing to do". being bitter and resentful to the "1%" and "the man" is actually built in to their core beliefs of "success" being a result of oppression (unless its their own)
The only thing I am saying is that agreeable people can be as skillfull or more skillfull than others but just be more averse to it. A professor would probably be a concrete example.
David Sklansky is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #108
jjshabado
Carpal Tunnel
 
jjshabado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,627
Re: Gender pay gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
i agree. so what?
So.... it contradicts what you were saying and agrees with what Sklansky was saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
please don't. the SJW's have been asked to stop throwing around labels and articulate thoughts and ideas.
Too rich. Stop being a baby. But this is like the perfect example of your problem. You want people to stop doing what you yourself are doing. You REALLY want to be the victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
once again my magic 8 ball says you will fail to do this. for some reason this magic 8 ball is right every time, including the last time you were asked to articulate something
Lol, why don't you scroll back and see which one of us stopped responding to the other. I'll even help you out, last time you said something like this I responded with post #53. I've had discussions with idiots like you a lot though, and if I repeated myself (or what others have already said/linked) every time one of you wing-nuts demanded it, that's all I would do. You're not special or intelligent enough for me to jump through specific hoops just for you.

And just for the record, you're the one that dropped the conversation and wouldn't answer post #58.
jjshabado is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #109
David Sklansky
Administrator
 
David Sklansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 13,743
Re: Gender pay gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshabado View Post
Ignoring the complete nonsense portions of your post, the person you're sitting across (hiring manager or your boss) is a person (and not 'the man' or 'the 1%') who you expect to have or already have some relationship with. There are lots of people that would prefer to sacrifice some salary EV to avoid having a potentially strained relationship with that person.
Also keep in mind the other aspect of my original point. I would think that in many situations the employee's aversion might not be to annoying the boss, but rather an aversion to implying that they deserve more than their coworker. Of course in that second case the aversion would disappear if they knew they were being paid less.
David Sklansky is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #110
juan valdez
Pooh-Bah
 
juan valdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,923
Re: Gender pay gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshabado View Post
Lol, why don't you scroll back and see which one of us stopped responding to the other. I'll even help you out, last time you said something like this I responded with post #53. I've had discussions with idiots like you a lot though, and if I repeated myself (or what others have already said/linked) every time one of you wing-nuts demanded it, that's all I would do. You're not special or intelligent enough for me to jump through specific hoops just for you.

And just for the record, you're the one that dropped the conversation and wouldn't answer post #58.
the only reason anyone in your situation could possibly want to do this is delusion. when you play with barbies you get to create the dialogue between barbie and ken. on a forum you need to deal with reality, or what someone actually said. then you should probably reflect on how you have responded

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
if people were to actually attempt to look at this with any sort of open mind the absurdity grows larger and larger. lets just look at some basic numbers here

what % of women join the workforce?
what % of women get married to a man?


*those are questions

now lets look at a more realistic wage gap in the 6-12% range. that means a married couple gets penalized on one side and bonus on the other. does that family see any benefit or penalty from the wage gap? how big is that?

ok so now lets look at the women that don't join the workforce and get married (we can assume the vast majority of women outside the workforce are obviously married). do these women or families get penalized or benefit from the hypothetical wage gap?

it seems to me that the only group being penalized by a hypothetical wage gap is single women in the workforce. which makes up what % of women? what are we talking about here? 5-10% of the population? maybe its not a coincidence that the people teaching the wage gap myths on campus are exactly the type of women who would be affected by a hypothetical wage gap, single women in the workforce. the funny thing is, they try to convince you that women don't need men and men are out to oppress them. in reality the math will tell you that it doesn't make any sense in an economy with two income households

do the math, the majority of women in the USA would actually benefit from a gender wage gap
i acknowledged a wage gap. i asked specific questions that could be verified or disputed by looking at labor participation stats, single vs married women in the labor force, and then apply a wage gap. none of that has been done. the claim was based on simple math. if 100% of women were married then the wage gap could affect them individually but not really as a group. if you want to argue against that, go ahead. if that is true, then obviously single women are being penalized by a hypothetical wage gap

... your response....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshabado View Post
Lol. The mental gymnastics you guys go to are pretty amazing.

Yeah, totally not a problem that a women gets penalized as long as her husband gets some offsetting benefit (or more accurately some other man somewhere...)? Like there's no consequences in terms of how people feel, power dynamics in relationships, options the women have in cases of divorce, consequences on financial decisions for the family, etc. etc.
i never said or suggested any of that. im not the one playing identity games with gender, the wage gap police are. they are the ones lumping women together as a group, i am responding with group consequences. you dont get to complain about group disparity and then when someone starts to question the validity, switch to individual inequality. right, lets stick with individual rights and equality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
mental gymnastics? i'm not pedaling completely false narratives to divide people and create resentment

if you haven't heard obama give a wage gap speech, go do it. i've posted already and its very easy to find. he tells women how badly they are getting screwed and how sexist society is. he is doing this by describing the 77 cent wage gap myth. this is a myth that could be debunked by a junior high student and yet the president is perpetuating it (along with hilary) in order to divide and create resentment. theres no chance they didnt realize they were being dishonest. also go ahead and do some research on creating resentment through class guilt, "privilege", and oppression in the 20th century, the body count is over 100 million. im not saying they are trying to take things that far but to dismiss how toxic it is, is totally ignorant. obama also does this at murdered cops funerals

the point is, lets look at reality vs obama and hilary speaking to the whole country

obama and hilarys message- you are getting screwed at the rate of 77 cents on the dollar. the country is sexist. you are being oppressed. you are a victim. we need to change and you need to fight for change. we need to fix this 77 cent wage gap. the gap should be zero

*i think this clearly describes the wage gap myth, no?

reality- there should be a wage gap. we don't know what it should be or for who but filtering by groups should actually never give you equal outcomes. there is a 6-12 cent wage gap. we aren't sure what the cause is, but certainly sexism is a portion of it since sexism exists. but even that is complicated since female servers make more money than male servers. on top of all that, more women benefit from a 6-12 cent wage gap than are penalized

yes the 6-12 cent wage gap is a worthwhile cause to investigate. discrimination is illegal and that should be enforced. what should happen is people start with the premise that we should not see equal outcomes. having a 6-12 cent wage gap isnt some giant red flag. what causes that gap is going to be very complex and interesting to discover, if thats your pursuit. we just saw a study that shows a wage gap in height. are we going to start measuring people, classifying them as tall and short, and then trying to figure out how society can stop oppressing short people in the work place? the point is, this list of oppressed people can grow and grow and keep growing to the point you realize you have to abandon it. or, we could look at balding men next. these things might be interesting and worthwhile to investigate but starting from the point that unequal outcomes is a sign of an oppressive system, is just total garbage. its incredibly divisive and toxic. it creates resentment and reactions (forms of affirmative action) that actually create more oppression and resentment
im pretty sure i established a wage gap exists at this point, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshabado View Post
Lol, once again the problem isn't the problem. It's talking about it. So many people get awfully uncomfortable with just talking about how women are getting screwed when it comes to pay. Too bad you guys don't feel bad about the actual problem.

It's just one more example of how you guys need safe spaces.
ok did this add anything or articulate anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
what bubble are you in? the president and hilary come out and publicly shame the nation for this mythical 77 cent wage gap and theres zero backlash. contrast that with any public figure speaking out against it. the topic is like playing russian roulette with your career and nobody wants to talk about it being a dishonest representation to the point its become a myth. people can confidently perpetuate the myth with zero backlash, and they do. on top of that, who has a problem with talking about this and who gets censored? maybe ask the mods how many wage gap posts they have deleted while declaring women a vulnerable group as a part of the rules. i got temp banned without warning for saying womens studies unscientific nonsense, which is true. the teachings of womens studies directly contradicts mainstream biology. some say they have even made up their own version of anthropology. who is being censored and who needs a safe space? what? you cant even have an open discussion anonymously in a political forum, never mind in public

what actual problem? you have no clue what actual problem there is or isn't. what we do know is, while obama was president and hilary the front runner to be the successor, they were proudly campaigning on a wage gap myth they knew to be false while there was absolutely no pushback on the radar
ok so then i attempt your claim that people get uncomfortable in talking about the wage gap myth when the opposite is true. theres zero stigma in perpetuating the myth and a lot of people totally uncomfortable pointing out its a myth. thats reality, but you seem to disagree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshabado View Post
Lol, There is a wage gap and there's all sorts of evidence for it.

But let's do this. People have posted a bunch of studies/anecdotes/articles pointing to evidence about the wage gap. Why don't you post something showing there isn't?

Edit: Oh, nevermind, I'll save myself the trouble. I didn't realize you were the same moron that posted about it only being single women that were hurt by this.
so now you are asserting a wage gap exists in response to me posting it exists many times over and demand i dispell that a wage gap exists contrary to my belief. quality stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
how about i quote myself stating a wage gap exists itt 3 or more times instead?

how about i quote myself 20+ times describing how the far left fail to articulate any complete ideas or thoughts?

ok now that we have all that out of the way, you stated the wage gap is a problem. please describe the size of the wage gap. why it exists. and finally you can articulate your claim of this problem

* those are questions. go ahead and articulate an idea or answer. thanks

if married women are harmed by the wage gap then it should be easy to paint a picture with easy to find labor force participation stats? go ahead and make a fool out of me einstein

and for the 100th (?) time my magic 8ball will correctly predict i get nothing in response other than empty labels and zero ability to articulate your position
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshabado View Post
Our position is well articulated. Look above for the link-y things and go read those. Every. Single. One. points out that the wage gap exists. Sure, different assumptions give you different answers. But you know what they don't show? That it doesn't exist.

So, you can lol about quoting yourself and such - but all you do is type a bunch of nonsense and avoid actually citing anything.
um... ok.... what? did you answer any of the questions or articulate a point? you just responded that a wage gap exists after i pointed out that it exists multiple times and then re affirmed that position after you falsely accused me of denying a wage gap. this is actual delusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
albert,

a wage gap exists. i stated this long before you decided this is some sort of sticking point. i have said it in multiple posts you are responding to. almost all of those studies you are referring to demonstrate the 77 wage gap obama and hilary publicly promoted was a lie

you made claims and i posed specific questions and challenged you to actually articulate your point. did you just articulate something? no? weird, its like i have magic powers. or perhaps ideologues are extremely predictable
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshabado View Post
So what's this myth?
i mean, seriously?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshabado View Post
Ignoring the complete nonsense portions of your post, the person you're sitting across (hiring manager or your boss) is a person (and not 'the man' or 'the 1%') who you expect to have or already have some relationship with. There are lots of people that would prefer to sacrifice some salary EV to avoid having a potentially strained relationship with that person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan valdez View Post
i agree. so what?


please don't. the SJW's have been asked to stop throwing around labels and articulate thoughts and ideas. articulate what part of my post was nonsense and why. once again my magic 8 ball says you will fail to do this. for some reason this magic 8 ball is right every time, including the last time you were asked to articulate something
i expect the nonsense part of my post to never be articulated, just like everything else
juan valdez is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 05:33 PM   #111
jjshabado
Carpal Tunnel
 
jjshabado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,627
Re: Gender pay gap

lol at most of that. So your defense is that the 'wage gap myth' is just that the wage gap isn't quite as big as some people say? But you still totally believe there is a wage gap...


Just for you snowflake:

Quote:
being bitter and resentful to the "1%" and "the man" is actually built in to their core beliefs of "success" being a result of oppression (unless its their own)
is nonsense.


Edit: And of course, the 77% number isn't a lie. It's one way of looking at. Because as you get deeper into the issue you realize that there are things like 'the motherhood penalty', unequal opportunities, etc. that are still real problems and that aren't exposed when we look at a pure like-for-like comparison of men and women. But we don't ever talk about these things because snowflakes like you are too busy trying to convince everyone there isn't an even more basic problem when we do look at like-for-like.
jjshabado is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #112
juan valdez
Pooh-Bah
 
juan valdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,923
Re: Gender pay gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sklansky View Post
The only thing I am saying is that agreeable people can be as skillfull or more skillfull than others but just be more averse to it. A professor would probably be a concrete example.
ok but i am not sure how that is relevant. people are claiming that a part of the wage gap could be attributed to the fact that wages are negotiable. i asserted that people high in trait agreeableness do worse in negotiation. this is true, and its also true that women tend to be higher in trait agreeableness than men. this is because it is tied to compassion which is beneficial for maternal reasons. you don't make a judgement of validity when a baby cries, you sympathize. we also see maternal instincts play out in politics in the form of oppression olympics

anyways asserting that skill isnt really the issue is generally false and generally irrelevant. if you have a poor outcome in a particular area, a lack of desire to participate might be a valid reason for the poor outcome but when we are talking about negotiation, obviously a strong tendency to avoid conflict leads to poor outcomes. it doesn't really matter if the group could theoretically do better on a written test about negotiation skills if they will avoid the conflict required to actually negotiate. also people who are high in agreeableness have generally been this way their whole life, which means they don't get much practice. agreeableness doesn't just mean you buy in to what everyone says, on the contrary its a recipe for a massive amount of resentment to build up
juan valdez is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #113
juan valdez
Pooh-Bah
 
juan valdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,923
Re: Gender pay gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshabado View Post
lol at most of that. So your defense is that the 'wage gap myth' is just that the wage gap isn't quite as big as some people say? But you still totally believe there is a wage gap...


Just for you snowflake:



is nonsense.


Edit: And of course, the 77% number isn't a lie. It's one way of looking at. Because as you get deeper into the issue you realize that there are things like 'the motherhood penalty', unequal opportunities, etc. that are still real problems and that aren't exposed when we look at a pure like-for-like comparison of men and women. But we don't ever talk about these things because snowflakes like you are too busy trying to convince everyone there isn't an even more basic problem when we do look at like-for-like.
after getting buried in the reality of your epic straw man history, you respond with more strawman. on top of all that, there were questions highlighted for you, none of which you have even attempted to answer. the magic 8 ball vs idealogues is just pure magic
juan valdez is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #114
jjshabado
Carpal Tunnel
 
jjshabado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,627
Re: Gender pay gap

Oh sorry, I didn't realize I owed you a bunch of questions from your essay. Let's see.

The size of the problem is between 77% to 90%? Who knows what it is exactly.

Um, no, Hilary and Obama saying 77% doesn't show "the wage gap myth" (as I covered above). And, as I've said, I'm not American.


That, actually seems to answer most of your repetitive questions.
jjshabado is offline  
Old 04-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #115
Abbaddabba
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,132
Re: Gender pay gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshabado View Post
Um, I'm not advocating for regulation/consumer protection that prohibits negotiating... I'm also not advocating for publishing salaries or any other legislative solution*.
You wrote,

"There's lots of ways to implement "no negotiating" policies that still handles these sorts of issues. One way I've seen it done is that salary is tied to titles/positions. The company chooses what they're going to pay for each title - and that's where they make their decision about how they're going to pay relative to the market."

How exactly should that be interpreted? Seems like you're advocating for pay based on title, and by extension that people know the salaries attached to everyones title. This either limits the ability of employers to compensate people based on value, or else creates a nearly infinite number of job titles / caveats to reflect the complexities of how compensation is structured.

The spirit of what you're arguing for is transparency in terms of how the company is compensating their employees. Putting aside the difficulty of putting this into practice though, it creates a new problem since what you'll find is that if employers were showing preference to some group for reasons that they couldn't (or wouldnt) define they'll just now err on the side of not employing members of the group who they would normally pay less. And even assuming you could actually get them to be completely transparent about the process, and I don't think you could, it would introduce all sorts of costs associated with litigation from people disagreeing about how the number was arrived at.

The most efficient and transparent way to define what a fair market wage is, is by seeing what the market will pay for it. You might still think that the outcome is unfair. But there're a lot of other ways to deal with inequality in the world than through labor laws.... the intention of which should be that people aren't unduly discriminated against for things that have nothing to do with the value of their work.

Quote:
And even in terms of just the negotiating aspect, it feels like you don't even really understand the problem. Take for example Sklansky's post that often times its not even about a lack of negotiating skill but due to discomfort with the whole idea of negotiating.
How irrational do you think people are? Under the conditions im laying out people wouldn't even need to walk into their bosses office to ask. It can all be handled through a licensed professional.
It's much more reasonable to think that the limiting factors are predominantly lack of confidence in how to navigate the process, and the difficulty of getting competing offers because they don't have hard evidence of their value as an employee. You fix both of these things by requiring hard copies of performance reviews and guiding people towards professionals who can give them qualified advice on how to represent their interests.
Abbaddabba is online now  
Old 04-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #116
jjshabado
Carpal Tunnel
 
jjshabado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,627
Re: Gender pay gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbaddabba View Post
"There's lots of ways to implement "no negotiating" policies that still handles these sorts of issues. One way I've seen it done is that salary is tied to titles/positions. The company chooses what they're going to pay for each title - and that's where they make their decision about how they're going to pay relative to the market."

How exactly should that be interpreted?
Um, that there are lots of ways to implement "no negotiating" policies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbaddabba View Post
Seems like you're advocating for
I'm not. I'm saying its an option. I think its a good option in some cases. Poor option in others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbaddabba View Post
This either limits the ability of employers to compensate people based on value,
Of course it limits it to some extent. But there are lots of things that do this. Very very few employers actually have policies that do this. In fact, I only really know of one (https://blog.expensify.com/2016/06/1...eview-process/). In most cases things like seniority, job titles, unions, negotiating ability, differences in management, etc. all mean that its impossible for a company to actually compensate people completely based on value.

Edit: By the way, I think Expensify's strategy isn't very good for a bunch of reasons, but we won't get into that.
jjshabado is offline  
Old 04-15-2017, 09:49 PM   #117
LordJvK
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LordJvK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 13,489
Re: Gender pay gap

Just embarrassing how many people in this thread and in our society don't understand basic economics.
LordJvK is offline  
Old 04-16-2017, 03:43 AM   #118
5ive
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Harvard, in a place like Africa
Posts: 6,763
Re: Gender pay gap

A wild LordLhgA appears.
5ive is offline  
Old 04-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #119
AppleCrumble
centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 140
Re: Gender pay gap

If I were a leftist, I'd abandon ship with the whole "pay gap" nonsense.

The majority of people have wised up to the fact that its a myth, and it only serves to discredit left-wing opinions on other topics by demonstrating that SJWs are more than comfortable with doctoring statistics and misleading people in order to score a political point.

Best take the fight elsewhere I would.
AppleCrumble is offline  
Old 04-17-2017, 02:57 PM   #120
whosnext
Pooh-Bah
 
whosnext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,702
Re: Gender pay gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleCrumble View Post
If I were a leftist, I'd abandon ship with the whole "pay gap" nonsense.

The majority of people have wised up to the fact that its a myth, and it only serves to discredit left-wing opinions on other topics by demonstrating that SJWs are more than comfortable with doctoring statistics and misleading people in order to score a political point.

Best take the fight elsewhere I would.
It is truly sad and offensive that some people narrowly view this topic as a partisan political issue.
whosnext is online now  
Old 04-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #121
13ball
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
13ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: No Quarter is a Sandy Hook Truther
Posts: 12,780
Re: Gender pay gap

Ran into some interesting research tangential to this topic:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/...nest-than-men/

This study finds that in individual decision-making, men are slightly more dishonest than women, though the findings are not statistically significant:

Quote:
Comparing the average payoffs of individual males and females in Treatment I (3.58 and 3.40, respectively) reveals a slight tendency of males to lie more than females (although this is not statistically significant).
However, when making group decisions, the presence of men greatly increased the likelihood of unethical behavior:

Quote:
This slight tendency is amplified in groups (treatment G), where the average payoff of male groups and mixed groups increases (to 4.00 and 3.71 respectively), while that of female groups decreases (to 2.74).
Perhaps this effect could be something that prevents women from being brought into an all-male workplace (though it may not be a conscious effect at all.) Or it could affect a single woman who is evaluated by a group of men?

But also, if these results are replicated and confirmed, then it could be that female employees are even more valuable than many realize because they can mitigate dishonesty in group dynamics. (Of course this assumes that ethical behavior makes a business more productive/efficient and that female groups don't become as unethical as male groups as stakes increase.)
13ball is offline  
Old 04-25-2017, 11:33 AM   #122
13ball
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
13ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: No Quarter is a Sandy Hook Truther
Posts: 12,780
Re: Gender pay gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleCrumble View Post
If I were a leftist, I'd abandon ship with the whole "pay gap" nonsense.

The majority of people have wised up to the fact that its a myth, and it only serves to discredit left-wing opinions on other topics by demonstrating that SJWs are more than comfortable with doctoring statistics and misleading people in order to score a political point.

Best take the fight elsewhere I would.
The evidence itt shows that the pay gap isn't a myth at all. Pay attention or you might discredit right wing opinions on other topics because conservatives are more than comfortable ignoring statistics and misleading about what the facts are in order to score a political point.
13ball is offline  
Old 04-25-2017, 11:58 AM   #123
bahbahmickey
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: UTG-3
Posts: 8,702
Re: Gender pay gap

IF (and I mean if) 100% of the wage gap could be explained away by the extra risk women carry to employers as they are more likely to go part time, quit early or take a few months off to have a baby is the wage gap still considered sexist?

Would your answer be different if 100% of women took some time off for having a baby and 0% of men did? What if 98% of women did and only 2% of men?
bahbahmickey is offline  
Old 04-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #124
jjshabado
Carpal Tunnel
 
jjshabado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,627
Re: Gender pay gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahbahmickey View Post
IF (and I mean if) 100% of the wage gap could be explained away by the extra risk women carry to employers as they are more likely to go part time, quit early or take a few months off to have a baby is the wage gap still considered sexist?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahbahmickey View Post
Would your answer be different if 100% of women took some time off for having a baby and 0% of men did? What if 98% of women did and only 2% of men?
No.

Note: The wage gap can be sexist but not necessarily the fault of employers. If 100% of women took some time off for having a baby and 0% of men did, then that society has some very serious sexist policies in place.
jjshabado is offline  
Old 04-26-2017, 12:15 AM   #125
Abbaddabba
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,132
Re: Gender pay gap

Sure, it is horribly sexist against men to grant maternity leave to women and give no equivalent to men. And while that was changed in the 70s but for whatever reason women are significantly more likely to take it, and in a lot of cases take it multiple times. That makes women of child bearing age a significantly worse option than their male counterparts all else equal.

To call them sexist for using that information though is like calling an insurance agency ageist because they charge higher fees for senior citizens.

If you really want to eliminate the gap attributable to that one factor just eliminate maternity/paternity leave. Couples who can't figure out a way to make it work just shouldn't be having children.
Abbaddabba is online now  

 
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online