Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Politics version 7.0 more politics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #51
mongidig
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,771
Re: Free speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
Ann Coulter is a sh*tty person, anyone who thinks Ann Coulter has any actually good opinions is a sh*tty person. People who claim they're all about Free Speech while absolutely cheering Ann Coulter on actually like Ann Coulter's sh*tty opinions but wants to hide behind the First Amendment which makes then sh*tty people.
Have you met her?

Do you not like women?

She is a gorgeous, brilliant women. Just because you don't agree with her higher values doesn't mean she's a bad person.
mongidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:46 PM   #52
13ball
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
13ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: No Quarter is a Sandy Hook Truther
Posts: 12,363
Re: Free speech

Ann Coulter is a racist, antisemitic, homophobic creationist. So, I agree that she could possibly be your type.
13ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #53
13ball
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
13ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: No Quarter is a Sandy Hook Truther
Posts: 12,363
Re: Free speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongidig View Post
Do you not like women?
On this point, Ann Coulter doesn't think women should be allowed to vote.
13ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:22 PM   #54
juan valdez
Pooh-Bah
 
juan valdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,851
Re: Free speech

free speech is great if i agree with the speaker. its a disaster if i don't

-SJWs
juan valdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:16 PM   #55
manbearpuig
journeyman
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 260
Re: Free speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongidig View Post

plus Ann Coulter is hot!
What???? She looks like a blonde version of Olive Oil
manbearpuig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #56
Huehuecoyotl
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Huehuecoyotl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: It's hard to get by on a smile
Posts: 22,043
Re: Free speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongidig View Post
Have you met her?

Do you not like women?

She is a gorgeous, brilliant women. Just because you don't agree with her higher values doesn't mean she's a bad person.
The eternal conundrum with discussing right wing loons is are they crazy or just evil. With Ann Coulter is a bit of both.
Huehuecoyotl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:56 PM   #57
mongidig
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,771
Re: Free speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ball View Post
On this point, Ann Coulter doesn't think women should be allowed to vote.
Vote for what?
mongidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:57 PM   #58
mongidig
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,771
Re: Free speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpuig View Post
What???? She looks like a blonde version of Olive Oil
I'd throw it in Olive Oil.
mongidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:51 PM   #59
David Sklansky
Administrator
 
David Sklansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 13,577
Re: Free speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
Ann Coulter is a sh*tty person, anyone who thinks Ann Coulter has any actually good opinions is a sh*tty person. People who claim they're all about Free Speech while absolutely cheering Ann Coulter on actually like Ann Coulter's sh*tty opinions but wants to hide behind the First Amendment which makes then sh*tty people.
People are always invoking high falootin philosophical reasons that they don't really care about to justify their emotional stances. But this case might be an exception. Which side do you think would Obama come down on?
David Sklansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:17 PM   #60
Huehuecoyotl
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Huehuecoyotl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: It's hard to get by on a smile
Posts: 22,043
Re: Free speech

About Ann Coulter being a terrible person? I don't think its up for debate.
Huehuecoyotl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:15 PM   #61
HastenDan
banned
 
HastenDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,712
Re: Free speech

Nice to see Bernie Sanders is on my side, and scumbag lobbyist Howard Dean is on the side of of the deplorable fake progressives.

Bernie Sanders defends Ann Coulter's Right to Speak

Quote:
“I don’t like this. I don’t like it,” Sanders told The Huffington Post after speaking at a rally . . . “Obviously Ann Coulter’s outrageous ― to my mind, off the wall. But you know, people have a right to give their two cents-worth, give a speech, without fear of violence and intimidation.” . . .

“To me, it’s a sign of intellectual weakness,” he said. “If you can’t ask Ann Coulter in a polite way questions which expose the weakness of her arguments, if all you can do is boo, or shut her down, or prevent her from coming, what does that tell the world?”

“What are you afraid of ― her ideas? Ask her the hard questions,” he concluded. “Confront her intellectually. Booing people down, or intimidating people, or shutting down events, I don’t think that that works in any way.”
:thumbsup:
HastenDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #62
aoFrantic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
aoFrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 18,469
Re: Free speech

Mongi thinking Ann Coulter is beautiful clears up a LOT of things about him. She looks like if Skeletor had a sex change but replaced cartoon evil plans with just mundane idiocy.

aoFrantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #63
superslug
grinder
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 634
Re: Free speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by HastenDan View Post
Nice to see Bernie Sanders is on my side, and scumbag lobbyist Howard Dean is on the side of of the deplorable fake progressives.

Bernie Sanders defends Ann Coulter's Right to Speak



:thumbsup:

Noam Chomsky also a good advocate for free speech.
superslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:52 PM   #64
pokerodox
The Situation
 
pokerodox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: can never leave
Posts: 3,850
Re: Free speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladesman87 View Post
Why does it always start with ridiculous notions like this? Berkley isn't under any obligation to host an Ann Coulter speech any more than it's obligated to host a talk from me (that's an open offer if anyone there is reading, I'll talk about anything in exchange for beer and a room). It's not a free speech issue. It's an Ann Coulter is a ****ing waste of DNA and some people might get uppity about it issue.
Interesting argument. I guess we will have to pull out the Constitutional Law books, but it seems clear to me that Ann's speech is being suppressed by the (public(ly funded)) university because of the content of her speech. (It is known that she will say conservative things.) Can the violent protesters be used by the government (here, the university) as an excuse to suppress speech?

Consider for a second if this was a left leaning speaker and it was right leaning violent protestors. What would your stance be then?

This could be looked at as violating the free speech rights of those who invited Coulter. Don't they have a right to their speech (from Coulter) in the public place? Like, if it was a recording of Coulter being played by the students, then that is clearly the speech they are playing. They would have a right to "say" those things by playing the recording. Surely, they don't lose rights because she is speaking live?
pokerodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:05 PM   #65
pokerodox
The Situation
 
pokerodox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: can never leave
Posts: 3,850
Re: Free speech

I will come back to the constitutional arguments, but let's just talk morally for a second.

Aren't you just disgusted by people using violence to silence Ann Coulter's free speech?

I mean, let's say she is standing in a public park. Don't you think it's immoral to stop her from speaking by violence?
pokerodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:07 PM   #66
Lapidator
LLSNL Frequent Flyer
 
Lapidator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Station keeping
Posts: 9,633
Re: Free speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoFrantic View Post

This is the worst gaffe you could find?

Did you waste an entire afternoon searching the interwebs to find that gem?

In Coulter's defense, Canada is easily ignored and/or forgotten.

The 57th Great State of America... not so easily forgotten... except, I seem to have forgotten; Which one was it? Maybe the 57th state in America will be the Commonwealth of San Fransisco. The 56th state could be the State of Los Angeles. Perhaps the 55th state will be the Commonwealth of NYC and Long Island?




But at least we all know the major languages of the European Union.

Lapidator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:20 PM   #67
AllTheCheese
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AllTheCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sad life; won't change
Posts: 9,273
Re: Free speech

lol, you're a Trump supporter. Posting gaffes is not something you get to do.
AllTheCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #68
5ive
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Harvard, in a place like Africa
Posts: 6,274
Re: Free speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by HastenDan View Post
Nice to see Bernie Sanders is on my side, and scumbag lobbyist Howard Dean is on the side of of the deplorable fake progressives.

Bernie Sanders defends Ann Coulter's Right to Speak



:thumbsup:
More like my main man B Sand is drinking the kool-aid.
5ive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:25 PM   #69
AllTheCheese
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AllTheCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sad life; won't change
Posts: 9,273
Re: Free speech

@pokerodox: Coulter's "conservatism" is not at issue (pretty sure you know that too). Make that argument when they cancel a speech from George Will or Ted Cruz, which I doubt would happen.
AllTheCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:27 PM   #70
5ive
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Harvard, in a place like Africa
Posts: 6,274
Re: Free speech

Actually the more I think about it, that's really ****ing depressing that Bern is falling into that hole.
5ive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:33 PM   #71
5ive
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
5ive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Harvard, in a place like Africa
Posts: 6,274
Re: Free speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerodox View Post
I will come back to the constitutional arguments, but let's just talk morally for a second.

Aren't you just disgusted by people using violence to silence Ann Coulter's free speech?

I mean, let's say she is standing in a public park. Don't you think it's immoral to stop her from speaking by violence?
Yes of course, but that's not happening. And that's not a minor detail, THAT'S THE ENTIRE ****ING POINT.

Do you people honestly think the Coulters of the world are hosting open forum round table discussions for spirited debate with their ideological opponents? No, it's one stage and one microphone and one platform.

THE PROTESTING IS THE COUNTERARGUMENT, GIVEN THESE RESTRAINTS.

Lozl at going to a public park for public discussion. You people have no idea how any of this works.
5ive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #72
pokerodox
The Situation
 
pokerodox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: can never leave
Posts: 3,850
Re: Free speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCheese View Post
@pokerodox: Coulter's "conservatism" is not at issue (pretty sure you know that too). Make that argument when they cancel a speech from George Will or Ted Cruz, which I doubt would happen.
OK. She's more conservative by far than George Will. I don't know Ted Cruz enough to place him versus Ann Coulter, though I assume she's to the right of him.

But what exactly are you saying? Are you saying that it is ok to ban her speech in public places based on the content of her speech, because that speech is racist? I think that's what you're saying.
pokerodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #73
mongidig
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,771
Re: Free speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
Actually the more I think about it, that's really ****ing depressing that Bern is falling into that hole.
Did you ever consider he is climbing out of the hole?
mongidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:40 PM   #74
pokerodox
The Situation
 
pokerodox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: can never leave
Posts: 3,850
Re: Free speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
Yes of course, but that's not happening. And that's not a minor detail, THAT'S THE ENTIRE ****ING POINT.

Do you people honestly think the Coulters of the world are hosting open forum round table discussions for spirited debate with their ideological opponents? No, it's one stage and one microphone and one platform.

THE PROTESTING IS THE COUNTERARGUMENT, GIVEN THESE RESTRAINTS.

Lozl at going to a public park for public discussion. You people have no idea how any of this works.
Thanks for the discussion.

Ann Coulter, and those on the left, and others closer to the middle, whether George Will types or whatever, do this type of speaking all the time. Both sides should be allowed to speak with a monopolized microphone from time to time. Are you saying that because she has a microphone, and can control the forum, she doesn't have free speech rights?

Look at it from the flip side, what if she was a left leaning speaker and right leaning violent protestors were stopping her?
pokerodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:43 PM   #75
AllTheCheese
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AllTheCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sad life; won't change
Posts: 9,273
Re: Free speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerodox View Post
OK. She's more conservative by far than George Will. I don't know Ted Cruz enough to place him versus Ann Coulter, though I assume she's to the right of him.

But what exactly are you saying? Are you saying that it is ok to ban her speech in public places based on the content of her speech, because that speech is racist? I think that's what you're saying.
Wrong. I'm saying you were being disingenuous trying to pretend this was about her views on the role of government, i.e. conservatism, instead of what protesters are actually angry about, which is her views on race, culture, and religion, i.e. white Christian supremacy.
AllTheCheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online