Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

The Studio Discuss your craft.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
White Stuff
grinder
 
White Stuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: this just seems nuts to me
Posts: 468
Perfect Albums

no links in op, and I'm hoping you make your case with words, eventhough I'm gonna do just a list with no explaining..
bloody kisses/october rust, vulgar display of power/far beyond driven, use your illusions2 etc. have some merit, but I can finger a low point on those.. not with these:

Icon
Youthanasia
City
Reign in blood
Heartwork

..
youthanasia has that cliche "song #4 is a ballad" but song arrangement and quality of them is so consistent, that I count it as a perfect album, aka masterpiece.

how much time, effort, blood and tears are you willing to sacrifice to make your own album perfect? no fillers and no "metallicaing" it up to make a certain timelimit
White Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
smrk2
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,121
Re: Perfect Albums

Youthanasia is a steaming pile of **** compared to Rust In Peace. You haven't even picked the correct perfect Megadeth album. Every song on Rust In Peace (except 5 Magics and Dawn Patrol, which isn't even a song, it's a comic interlude, a mere foil for the ultimate conclusion which is Polaris) is better than any song on Youthanasia.
smrk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:55 AM   #3
White Stuff
grinder
 
White Stuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: this just seems nuts to me
Posts: 468
Re: Perfect Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrk2 View Post
Youthanasia is a steaming pile of **** compared to Rust In Peace. You haven't even picked the correct perfect Megadeth album. Every song on Rust In Peace (except 5 Magics and Dawn Patrol, which isn't even a song, it's a comic interlude, a mere foil for the ultimate conclusion which is Polaris) is better than any song on Youthanasia.
yeah, I agree somewhat. But like you said yourself, there's obvious low-points on R.I.P. you should never skip a track on a "perfect" album
White Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
smrk2
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,121
Re: Perfect Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Stuff View Post
yeah, I agree somewhat. But like you said yourself, there's obvious low-points on R.I.P. you should never skip a track on a "perfect" album
I don't skip 5 magics, it's just the worst song on the album, it's still a great song in a a lot of ways.
smrk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
DLC44
enthusiast
 
DLC44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 65
Re: Perfect Albums

The Fragile by NIN.

Some of the most depressing/darkest music I've listened to during high school. I still enjoy it to this day.
DLC44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
DLC44
enthusiast
 
DLC44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 65
Re: Perfect Albums

Yeah, I don't care much for the list provided by OP. I thought it was kind of "free range" shout out. Kewl.
DLC44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
DLC44
enthusiast
 
DLC44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 65
Re: Perfect Albums

Undertow, Lateralus, and AEnima by Tool.

Their dark riffs, unique style, and message of personal evolution are second to none. I hope they eventually finish their last album. I can't wait.
DLC44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #8
Bob148
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: <loud whistle> yo
Posts: 8,172
Re: Perfect Albums

Far Beyond Driven: sure #5 is out there, but it's merely something to slow it down so your brain doesn't overload on note intake.

Sublime Sublime: sublime imo; Johnny Butt is slow and lame but still fits, and is a fitting low point.
Bob148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #9
DLC44
enthusiast
 
DLC44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 65
Re: Perfect Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Stuff View Post
no links in op, and I'm hoping you make your case with words, eventhough I'm gonna do just a list with no explaining..
bloody kisses/october rust, vulgar display of power/far beyond driven, use your illusions2 etc. have some merit, but I can finger a low point on those.. not with these:

Icon
Youthanasia
City
Reign in blood
Heartwork

..
youthanasia has that cliche "song #4 is a ballad" but song arrangement and quality of them is so consistent, that I count it as a perfect album, aka masterpiece.

how much time, effort, blood and tears are you willing to sacrifice to make your own album perfect? no fillers and no "metallicaing" it up to make a certain timelimit
Okay, just trying to make sense of your list:

Icon by Icon
Youthanasia by Megadeath
City by ????
Reign in blood by Slayer
Heartwork by Heartwork

Yeah, not a bad list at all.
DLC44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:34 AM   #10
White Stuff
grinder
 
White Stuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: this just seems nuts to me
Posts: 468
Re: Perfect Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC44 View Post
Yeah, I don't care much for the list provided by OP. I thought it was kind of "free range" shout out. Kewl.
yeah, obviously an opinion driven thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC44 View Post
Undertow, Lateralus, and AEnima by Tool.

aenima and lateralus are superclose making my list too

Their dark riffs, unique style, and message of personal evolution are second to none. I hope they eventually finish their last album. I can't wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob148 View Post
Far Beyond Driven: sure #5 is out there, but it's merely something to slow it down so your brain doesn't overload on note intake.

lol, yeah, it's my favorite song at times, but that's also a song that Ko'd fbd from my list

Sublime Sublime: sublime imo; Johnny Butt is slow and lame but still fits, and is a fitting low point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC44 View Post
Okay, just trying to make sense of your list:

Icon by Icon
Youthanasia by Megadeath
City by ????
Reign in blood by Slayer
Heartwork by Heartwork

Yeah, not a bad list at all.
paradise lost-Icon .. a case could be made that draconian times is better in similar way that R.I.P>youthanasia.

strapping young lad-City .. just pure awesomeness, you find new melodies and stuff after 15years of listening.. almost KO'd from my list cos there's a copshootcop-cover and covers are a compromise. atm. I wouldn't include it

carcass-Heartwork .. most of the time I like Necrotisism more, but just was in the mood of easier stuff with some melody when making that list

Last edited by White Stuff; 12-25-2012 at 02:44 AM. Reason: lol, megadeAth :P
White Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:42 AM   #11
White Stuff
grinder
 
White Stuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: this just seems nuts to me
Posts: 468
Re: Perfect Albums

Fear Factory-Demanufacture should be in the OP
White Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
pookakke
banned
 
pookakke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: frosty jacks'
Posts: 175
Re: Perfect Albums

Grace- Jeff Buckley
pookakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:07 AM   #13
White Stuff
grinder
 
White Stuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: this just seems nuts to me
Posts: 468
Re: Perfect Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookakke View Post
Grace- Jeff Buckley
nice one.



"There Is No Insanity, Rather A Super Sanity
More Suited For Life At The End Of The 20th Century
Where Everything Is Art,
And Everything Is Trying To Express It,
Where Everything Is Art,
And Everything Is Trying To Comunicate It.."
White Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #14
White Stuff
grinder
 
White Stuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: this just seems nuts to me
Posts: 468
Re: Perfect Albums

garbage 2.0 is close.. if I never skipped "I think I'm paranoid", I would've included it
White Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #15
DLC44
enthusiast
 
DLC44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 65
Re: Perfect Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Stuff View Post
garbage 2.0 is close.. if I never skipped "I think I'm paranoid", I would've included it
Just recently got back to listening to them. Yet to listen to their latest album Not Your Kind of People. mmmm
DLC44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
ReidLockhart
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ReidLockhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: prolly ATF
Posts: 7,777
Re: Perfect Albums

Lateralus - Tool

Morning View - Incubus

End of Silence - Red (most haven't heard of this band. I think they are similar to Linkin Park but way better both lyrically and musically. The album is fantastic from start to finish and flows greatly)

I'll toss Thirteenth Step out there too.


I can't think of many more albums that I don't have to skip songs.
ReidLockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #17
kiderino
adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 732
Re: Perfect Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC44 View Post
Undertow, Lateralus, and AEnima by Tool.

Their dark riffs, unique style, and message of personal evolution are second to none. I hope they eventually finish their last album. I can't wait.
+1
kiderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #18
LirvA
self-banned
 
LirvA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Free Manning, Hammond, and Brown.
Posts: 42,857
Re: Perfect Albums

Love NIN's The Fragile. I'm gonna pick The Downward Spiral for NIN though.

Tool - AEnema, because long live Bill Hicks
Pixies - Trompe le monde because obviously Surfer Rosa and Doolittle are perfect, but it's perfect too.
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon. Nobody needs to say anything to justify this ... no one who's heard it.
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Lady Land. Jimi's peak.
The Beatles - White Album. Their peak.
David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World. Amazing album.
Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me. Beautiful album.
Frank Zappa - Zoot Allures. I love how dark sounding this album is.
Weezer - Pinkerton. Their best album by far imo. Love how pure and raw sounding it is.
Shellac - 1000 Hurts. Seriously, listen to this album.
The Jesus Lizard - Goat. And this one.
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots. Ooooooh oh oh ooooooh. What is love and what is hate????
The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness. The world is a vampire.
Smoosh - Free To Stay. Still my favorite Smoosh album. Such a great sound and feeling to it. So simple, Asy on vocals and keyboard, and Chloe on drums, but you never get sick of hearing keyboards and drums because they rock it out and Chloe is so amazing at changing the feel of a beat in a heartbeat.
LirvA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #19
LirvA
self-banned
 
LirvA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Free Manning, Hammond, and Brown.
Posts: 42,857
Re: Perfect Albums

Alright alright, here's a token metal album.

Black Label Society - Sonic Brew. This album was really really really the bees knees back when I was 17 and I was just beginning my Zakk Wylde phase. BLS's first album, and their best imo. The sound and feeling of it was unmatched in later albums. Stronger Than Death was really really good as well, but it just didn't have the same sound and feeling.

Regarding BLS, I hate how their albums became a dime a dozen. They put out Sonic Brew, then Stronger than death, then 1919 Eternal, then the blessed hellride, then another album, then another, then another, then another, and another, and another, and another, and another, all within the span of what seemed like three weeks. Ok man, I got ya! Yeah man, a thousand albums. I got you man, I see what you did there. Unfortunately, you forgot one of the fundamental rules of art: leave the listener wanting more. When you put out billions and billions of albums in a day and a half, it's kind of a BLS overload. Especially when every single song is nothing but pinch harmonics and the song is just a vehicle for a guitar solo. I mean, don't get me wrong, I still love me some Zakk Wylde, he's a hell of a guitarist and I wouldn't be the guitarist I am today if I didn't study his work, but you can only do so many pinch harmonics and so many songs with trivial, meaningless lyrics that only exist because you have to have something to lead up to a guitar solo before **** starts to get stale, and with Black Label Society, **** got stale after 1919 Eternal. That album was pretty cool too, kinda experimental, had a really great and unique sound, but that album made me realize how undynamic the drumming on his albums are. Bass, snare, bass, snare, bass, snare, fill, fill, bass, snare, bass, snare, bass, snare, fill, fill. Just so god damn boring. And I mean I get it, the guitar is the focal point, which is theoretically supposed to be only interesting to guitar players, but I'm a guitar player and I lost interest, and when I wanted to be interested in your drum tracks, they bored me to tears. <--- Sonic Brew reference.
LirvA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #20
LirvA
self-banned
 
LirvA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Free Manning, Hammond, and Brown.
Posts: 42,857
Re: Perfect Albums

When you're a Frank Zappa, and everything you do is completely different, you can truly get away with putting out a million albums. But when you're a Zakk Wylde and all you can do is a pinch harmonic, putting out a million albums is a good way to make yourself insignificant imo.
LirvA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #21
gambit8888
Lack'n in some direction
 
gambit8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Well uh-uh baby I ain't got no plan
Posts: 44,888
Re: Perfect Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by LirvA View Post
Love NIN's The Fragile. I'm gonna pick The Downward Spiral for NIN though.

Tool - AEnema, because long live Bill Hicks
Pixies - Trompe le monde because obviously Surfer Rosa and Doolittle are perfect, but it's perfect too.
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon. Nobody needs to say anything to justify this ... no one who's heard it.
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Lady Land. Jimi's peak.
The Beatles - White Album. Their peak.
David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World. Amazing album.
Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me. Beautiful album.
Frank Zappa - Zoot Allures. I love how dark sounding this album is.
Weezer - Pinkerton. Their best album by far imo. Love how pure and raw sounding it is.
Shellac - 1000 Hurts. Seriously, listen to this album.
The Jesus Lizard - Goat. And this one.
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots. Ooooooh oh oh ooooooh. What is love and what is hate????
The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness. The world is a vampire.
Smoosh - Free To Stay. Still my favorite Smoosh album. Such a great sound and feeling to it. So simple, Asy on vocals and keyboard, and Chloe on drums, but you never get sick of hearing keyboards and drums because they rock it out and Chloe is so amazing at changing the feel of a beat in a heartbeat.
Weezer- The blue album is their best ainec
Smashing Pumkings- Siamese Dream by far is their best album.

I iz disappoint.
gambit8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #22
DC11GTR
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DC11GTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 13,057
Re: Perfect Albums

My picks:

Candiria - 300% Density. Sonically perfect and considering how they write as a band, it's almost shocking that they could come up with this many "chapters" that are all so goddamned good. Unfortunately, the lone hip-hop track is easily their weakest hip-hop track throughout their catalog, but its still pretty damn good.

The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium. I'm still listening to this one a semi-regular basis and this damn thing was on repeat for me when it came out.

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The 36-Chambers. Not a weak song on it, and really not even a weak verse.

Joe Satriani - Crystal Planet. My favorite full album of his. I like older songs more, but those albums had songs I could do without.

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity. There was nothing even remotely like it when it came out. My group of friends at the time were all metal heads and listened to some of the most abrasive, disgusting, fast, heavy, brutal metal that was around. When this came out, it took a long time to get out heads around just what the hell was going on.

Converge - Jane Doe. Probably the best EC metal album ever. The Saddest Day is their best song, but we're doing albums here.

Counting Crows - August And Everything After. Yeah, I said it. Just a great freaking record from beginning to end.

Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage. My favorite album of all time. Even taking my bias out, it's got all of the amazing things that Zappa does, and then to top it off, it has his most emotionally delivered guitar solo, Watermelon In Easter Hay. Even without that track it'd be high up there. But with it, it's quite a notches above 2nd place.

Aesop Rock - Labor Days. His best production with his best lyrics. Just incredible.

Alice In Chains - Dirt. Especially considering the fate of Layne. I can't really listen to these guys anymore because I get depressed. And music doesn't really do that to me these days.

The Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique. Who knew that after License to Ill came out that THIS would the next record. When I first heard it, I was disappointed because I didn't know any better. I sure as hell did a few years later.

Black Star - Mos Def And Talib Kweli Are Black Star. I hope they do another one cause this one is just.... DAMN SON!!

De La Soul - 3-Feet High And Rising. Yep.

Botch - We Are The Romans. My pick for the most underrated band of all time. By miles.

Clutch - Clutch. I've always considered Clutch the "Bud-Light" of bands. Put them on a party and no one will complain, same as having a keg of Bud-Light at a party. The problem is, they're infinitely better then Bud-Light, but I couldn't think of a beer that was as universally accepted.

Deftones - White Pony. I don't really like this band that much, but this album is outstanding.

Now for a critique on the choices earlier.

Megadeth I'd go either Rust In Peace or Countdown To Extinction. Both are outstanding from beginning to end. RIP has much better GREAT then CTE but has a few more MEH parts. But as albums go, they're both ridiculous.

Carcass - Descanting The Insalubrious. Heartwork got them a lot more exposure, and after hearing the horribly tracked prior albums, I had no idea that they had this record in them. I just thought their album covers were awesome. This is an easy top 10 metal record of all time.

Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power. I don't see how it can be anything else.

Agree on Siamese Dream for Smashing Pumpkins and Downward Spiral for NIN.

All of the Tool albums are perfect as albums. They're in the bottom'ish of my top 20 bands of all time (strictly based on taste) but perfect albums are just how they roll.

Slayer is a hard one to choose. The subtle differences in their first handful of records will decide who would pick what. RIB is an all-time classic, but the production of Seasons In The Abyss puts that one as my choice.

I think that'll do. I'm sure I could keep going.
DC11GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #23
DC11GTR
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DC11GTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 13,057
Re: Perfect Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrk2 View Post
I don't skip 5 magics, it's just the worst song on the album, it's still a great song in a a lot of ways.
And as a side note, I always thought he said "Dermatology" in that song.
DC11GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #24
gambit8888
Lack'n in some direction
 
gambit8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Well uh-uh baby I ain't got no plan
Posts: 44,888
Re: Perfect Albums

I forget..... Pretty Hate Machine for my NIN pick.
gambit8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #25
kiderino
adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 732
Re: Perfect Albums

I love all the tool love on this page. Where are these people in public?
kiderino is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online