Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

The Studio Discuss your craft.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #151
LirvA
self-banned
 
LirvA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Free Manning, Hammond, and Brown.
Posts: 42,857
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Probably a truss rod adjustment and maybe raising the action imo, but I'd wait to hear from Mitch.
LirvA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #152
Mitch Evans
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,633
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sards View Post
Thanks, but I was looking for a way to fix the choking. Does this call for a truss rod adjustment, raising the action, or new fretwork?
Usually not a truss that high up the neck.

Is this a new development?
Is it buzzing playing a note without bending?
Hate to ask this question, but it must be asked, are you new to bending (i.e., you could be releasing pressure at the apex of the bend)?
Which frets (and strings) fret out when bending?
Mitch Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #153
sards
old hand
 
sards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,554
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Evans View Post
Is this a new development?
No. I bought the guitar used and it has been like this from the beginning.
Quote:
Is it buzzing playing a note without bending?
Yes, it buzzes slightly and notes don't sustain well when I play on frets 17-20.
Quote:
Hate to ask this question, but it must be asked, are you new to bending (i.e., you could be releasing pressure at the apex of the bend)?
This is definitely not the case (I have been playing for 15 years).
Quote:
Which frets (and strings) fret out when bending?
17-20. The problem is most pronounced on the G and B strings, but it also happens on the D and high E.
sards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #154
Mitch Evans
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,633
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sards View Post
No. I bought the guitar used and it has been like this from the beginning.

Yes, it buzzes slightly and notes don't sustain well when I play on frets 17-20.

This is definitely not the case (I have been playing for 15 years).

17-20. The problem is most pronounced on the G and B strings, but it also happens on the D and high E.
Although a twist/warp is never out of the question, it actually just sounds like the action is too low. It would stand to reason that the high E should buzz most due to how a Les Paul saddle is graduated in height (i.e., the G and B are higher than the E string), but since the G and B are thicker and vibrate in a larger circumference, they are more susceptible to buzz when too low.

I'd check the relief in the neck (those frets will not take to a truss, but it's best to make sure it's right before raising the action). If everything is good, raise the action up a tad on the bass side and quite a bit more on the treble. It's also best to adjust the intonation after you mess with the action.
Mitch Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #155
sards
old hand
 
sards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,554
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Thanks! I will try it tomorrow.
sards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #156
jmitchell42
mother****ing photoshopper
 
jmitchell42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: THE MUSTACHE RIDES AGAIN.
Posts: 16,005
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

so, i haven't gotten my guitar back yet, but i think i might have figured out why my bridge was so high off the face and it wouldn't play. the strings i got were 9's, but were light's. i am wondering if the ones i had weren't lights, but mediums, so therefore when tuned up the same made the bridge higher and the strings too much tension? i don't know much about strings so i don't know if they make a light vs med string in the same diameter, but it makes sense that that would cause what was happening. just a thought.
jmitchell42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #157
Mitch Evans
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,633
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell42 View Post
so, i haven't gotten my guitar back yet, but i think i might have figured out why my bridge was so high off the face and it wouldn't play. the strings i got were 9's, but were light's. i am wondering if the ones i had weren't lights, but mediums, so therefore when tuned up the same made the bridge higher and the strings too much tension? i don't know much about strings so i don't know if they make a light vs med string in the same diameter, but it makes sense that that would cause what was happening. just a thought.
If they are 9-42 it doesn't matter what's written on the package. You sure it wasn't a hybrid set of 9-46?
Mitch Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #158
guller
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 807
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell42 View Post
so, i haven't gotten my guitar back yet, but i think i might have figured out why my bridge was so high off the face and it wouldn't play. the strings i got were 9's, but were light's. i am wondering if the ones i had weren't lights, but mediums, so therefore when tuned up the same made the bridge higher and the strings too much tension? i don't know much about strings so i don't know if they make a light vs med string in the same diameter, but it makes sense that that would cause what was happening. just a thought.
There would never be light and medium strings with the same diameter. Unless you bought some weird North Korean brand that was mis-packaged. The tension at tune between different string brands is going to be the same as long as the diameter is the same and the string is quality.
guller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #159
jmitchell42
mother****ing photoshopper
 
jmitchell42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: THE MUSTACHE RIDES AGAIN.
Posts: 16,005
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Evans View Post
If they are 9-42 it doesn't matter what's written on the package. You sure it wasn't a hybrid set of 9-46?
the ones i put on were definitely 9's. i did realize i don't know what was on there when i got it though. i wonder if i was trying to put on strings that were different from the ones that were put on at the factory. that could have caused my difficulties in the set up right?
i am still trying to learn about this stuff. def don't know crap about strings.
jmitchell42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #160
Mitch Evans
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,633
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell42 View Post
the ones i put on were definitely 9's. i did realize i don't know what was on there when i got it though. i wonder if i was trying to put on strings that were different from the ones that were put on at the factory. that could have caused my difficulties in the set up right?
i am still trying to learn about this stuff. def don't know crap about strings.
Strats come stock with 9s. The only way a set of 9's would raise the trem up that high is if it were set up for 8's (and the claw tension reduced), but with 3 springs on the back and the claw in that deep, there's no way 9's would raise the trem. You either were tuning it too high (doubtful) or the strings were mispackaged (even more doubtful, but possible). Most common reason is 9 11 16 26 36 46 instead of 9 11 16 24 32 42.

That's why I really wanted you to go through the steps I mentioned and give it one more try. A raised trem is an easy fix once you can determine what's causing it, and there can only be two reasons.
Mitch Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #161
jmitchell42
mother****ing photoshopper
 
jmitchell42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: THE MUSTACHE RIDES AGAIN.
Posts: 16,005
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Evans View Post
Strats come stock with 9s. The only way a set of 9's would raise the trem up that high is if it were set up for 8's (and the claw tension reduced), but with 3 springs on the back and the claw in that deep, there's no way 9's would raise the trem. You either were tuning it too high (doubtful) or the strings were mispackaged (even more doubtful, but possible). Most common reason is 9 11 16 26 36 46 instead of 9 11 16 24 32 42.

That's why I really wanted you to go through the steps I mentioned and give it one more try. A raised trem is an easy fix once you can determine what's causing it, and there can only be two reasons.
i just got frustrated so i took it in. i am not giving up though and will def try again. i know i am not the first to screw it up the first time so i am not discouraged. i just appreciate all the help and info i am getting itt.
jmitchell42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #162
Mitch Evans
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,633
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Yeah, I know and can't blame you; that's a really unforeseen complication that can lead to frustration easily (this happens all the time with Floyd Rose bridges, but it's more or less expected on Floyds).
Mitch Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #163
jmitchell42
mother****ing photoshopper
 
jmitchell42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: THE MUSTACHE RIDES AGAIN.
Posts: 16,005
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Evans View Post
Yeah, I know and can't blame you; that's a really unforeseen complication that can lead to frustration easily (this happens all the time with Floyd Rose bridges, but it's more or less expected on Floyds).
what is the difference in those bridges?
jmitchell42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #164
Mitch Evans
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,633
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell42 View Post
what is the difference in those bridges?
A Floyd is generally setup to be 100% floating; that is, the tension of the strings pull the bridge up, and the tension of the springs pull the bridge down. The bridge has no contact with the body. If you break a string on a gig, for example, the remaining 5 strings will go sharp (and not in any consistent manner) because you decreased the tension that is pulling on the springs. Changing strings for a beginner on a Floyd is a nightmare by itself, let alone trying to do a set up.
Mitch Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #165
jmitchell42
mother****ing photoshopper
 
jmitchell42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: THE MUSTACHE RIDES AGAIN.
Posts: 16,005
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Evans View Post
A Floyd is generally setup to be 100% floating; that is, the tension of the strings pull the bridge up, and the tension of the springs pull the bridge down. The bridge has no contact with the body. If you break a string on a gig, for example, the remaining 5 strings will go sharp (and not in any consistent manner) because you decreased the tension that is pulling on the springs. Changing strings for a beginner on a Floyd is a nightmare by itself, let alone trying to do a set up.
sounds a lot like the bridge i have tbh. i mean the front of the bridge is screwed on the guitar, but that is it.
jmitchell42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #166
Mitch Evans
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,633
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell42 View Post
sounds a lot like the bridge i have tbh. i mean the front of the bridge is screwed on the guitar, but that is it.
No, you have a stock strat bridge. It can be set up for floating, but nothing like a Floyd Rose. This is a Kahler, but it's the same floating fulcrum style. See how the body is routed out behind the bottom of the bridge.






Notice the flutter trick at 1:45 and 3:20

And that's nothing even radical. You can get very aggressive (ala LivrA) with these bridges.

Last edited by Mitch Evans; 02-16-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Mitch Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #167
jmitchell42
mother****ing photoshopper
 
jmitchell42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: THE MUSTACHE RIDES AGAIN.
Posts: 16,005
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Evans View Post
No, you have a stock strat bridge. It can be set up for floating, but nothing like a Floyd Rose. This is a Kahler, but it's the same floating fulcrum style. See how the body is routed out behind the bottom of the bridge.






Notice the flutter trick at 1:45 and 3:20

And that's nothing even radical. You can get very aggressive (ala LivrA) with these bridges.
ahhh. i see the difference. i didn't figure that is what i had, i just didn't know the difference. don't think i will probably get one of those anytime soon either.
thanks mang
jmitchell42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:18 AM   #168
gambit8888
Lack'n in some direction
 
gambit8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Well uh-uh baby I ain't got no plan
Posts: 44,936
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Free Lirva IMO
gambit8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #169
LirvA
self-banned
 
LirvA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Free Manning, Hammond, and Brown.
Posts: 42,857
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Evans View Post
You can get very aggressive (ala LivrA) with these bridges.





Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit8888 View Post
Free Lirva IMO

oh you're good!
LirvA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #170
LirvA
self-banned
 
LirvA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Free Manning, Hammond, and Brown.
Posts: 42,857
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

I'm kinda worried I'll break another bar imo.
LirvA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:41 AM   #171
jmitchell42
mother****ing photoshopper
 
jmitchell42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: THE MUSTACHE RIDES AGAIN.
Posts: 16,005
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

got my guitar back. woohoo.
def is set up different though. the bridge isn't floating up at all. it is flush against the body of the guitar. didn't know it was supposed to be like that. i though it was supposed to be 1/8 an inch or so off. at least that is how it was when i got it. def isn't like that now though. gonna play it here in a bit to see how it feels.
jmitchell42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:25 AM   #172
gambit8888
Lack'n in some direction
 
gambit8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Well uh-uh baby I ain't got no plan
Posts: 44,936
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Whelp

gambit8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #173
jmitchell42
mother****ing photoshopper
 
jmitchell42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: THE MUSTACHE RIDES AGAIN.
Posts: 16,005
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit8888 View Post
Whelp

i have to admit, it def sounds better than it did before i started. i do like it. is cleaner sounding. i don't care for the guy who did it, but it is good. i am still glad i went through the experience and i know i won't learn **** from the guy who set it up for me as he was berating me for simply bringing it in on monday. he really is a douchebag, and i literally couldn't finish a question when i was around him. he really likes to hear himself talk, but he seems to do good work. i will try again sometime and go to a local place if i need some understanding on what i am doing. that and tt with you guys to help me.

Last edited by jmitchell42; 02-19-2012 at 01:56 AM. Reason: i wanna do that as a career. set up and play with instruments. how dammit.
jmitchell42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:09 AM   #174
Heya
old hand
 
Heya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,463
Re: Beginners guitar corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell42 View Post
got my guitar back. woohoo.
def is set up different though. the bridge isn't floating up at all. it is flush against the body of the guitar. didn't know it was supposed to be like that. i though it was supposed to be 1/8 an inch or so off. at least that is how it was when i got it. def isn't like that now though. gonna play it here in a bit to see how it feels.
This is a good thing imo. You'll have fewer tuning problems and can mess around with alternate tunings with more ease.

Every tremolo on a beginner's guitar should be set up this way.
Heya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #175
shredhead84
grinder
 
shredhead84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: bay area CA
Posts: 587
Re: Beginners guitar corner.


Here ya go Jmitchell42 this one is mine
shredhead84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online