+1 to what Lady In Red responded. I too am new to poker as a profession and have been getting that question alot. Some of the responses I have used are situational, depending on my image and opponents at the table. He're a sample, with the first being the most used..
1. Self-employed, followed by the the response "self-employed" when they ask again.
2. To the prodding soul, "I assist my husband with his business."
3. "How often do you play?" "Only a few days a month"
4. When on a table filled with guys and winning lots, sometimes it's been beneficial to say "I do this for a living". Its amazing the stares and responses you get, as well as instant respect...
5. I talk about my prior job as a manager when I feel the need to avoid the question.
6. Turn the question back on them..."What do you do?"
7. Just smile....and avoid the question entirely....women can get away with it sometimes, just like asking their age