Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Micro-Small Stakes Limit Discussions about micro-small stakes Texas Hold'em (all stakes up to around 15/30)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #26
lawdude
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 9,694
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealcorp View Post
I only show very obvious hands or only to really good friends.
Why give free lessons to strangers...
I think this is a wonderful comment because it's so level 0.

You show, if you choose to, because there's a significant level of information asymmetry here. Specifically, your opponents will not be able to do very much with the information you give them (especially if it is misleading, but really, this is true of most opponents even with respect to decent information, because they don't put people on accurate ranges), whereas you may be able to do a lot with the information you receive back from them. Plus, they may even do "friendly" things like fold the button rather than stealing the blinds, which are +EV for you too.
lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:24 PM   #27
wbatas
old hand
 
wbatas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 'murrcah.
Posts: 1,598
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

I'm a grower, not a show-er.
wbatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #28
Howard Beale
Formerly red
 
Howard Beale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Doing what my dog wants
Posts: 19,280
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

Thanks for the visual.
Howard Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:26 PM   #29
dead.money
centurion
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 115
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

You tell me. You're the one who asked the question. I merely repeated it back to you.

It was rhetorical genuis..do you know what that means? IF??? you do, then you also know you should have just kept ur mouth shut..no need for a reply...IF you knew what it meant.
dead.money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #30
dead.money
centurion
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 115
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

Nobody here is "worried" about it.

Then why the thread genuis?
dead.money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:31 PM   #31
dead.money
centurion
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 115
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

Based on your response here, the odds are good that you lack some of the basic social skills that allow you to raise and not make everyone angry. I seem to be able to do it just fine, as do many others.


OHHH ok, so they keep limping and limping and limping, and you continue to RAise Raise raise, but they don't mind that you're making them put in that XTRA bet over and over again...because you have social skills LMAO! not even gonna debate "social skills" statement is IDIOTIC enough to reflect what you REALLY know..lmao!
dead.money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:34 PM   #32
dead.money
centurion
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 115
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

Specifically, your opponents will not be able to do very much with the information you give them

ThEY may not be able to do anything with the info, but you BETTER not keep showing me your hand..i will steal you blind! But I'm not your avg 4/8 player.
dead.money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #33
TheDarkKnight
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gotham
Posts: 896
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

Quote:
Originally Posted by callipygian View Post
And when you are the last aggressor, you are required to show.

If you show every time you are the last aggressor and every time you have an obvious hand, that's a lot of the time.
Let's say I have JJ on an Ace high board and I'm the PFR in position and I've bet flop and turn, but river comes a K. Even though I'm last aggressor I'm not required to show first in LHE.

Same thing if I'm in position as PFR and I've had the betting lead on a wet flop and two opponents have been calling me down and the nightmare card hits but for some reason they both check to me. I'm not showing first.

Obviously I snap roll my bluffs when they are called and snap show my whiffs when the river checks through and I'm in worst position.

I have started to wonder about the douche level of the first two scenarios though. I just hate to show my hand out of turn and not win the pot... just doesn't make sense to me.
TheDarkKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #34
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 27,209
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
Let's say I have JJ on an Ace high board and I'm the PFR in position and I've bet flop and turn, but river comes a K. Even though I'm last aggressor I'm not required to show first in LHE.

Same thing if I'm in position as PFR and I've had the betting lead on a wet flop and two opponents have been calling me down and the nightmare card hits but for some reason they both check to me. I'm not showing first.
You're right that it's not the last aggressor that shows but the play order.

Quote:
Obviously I snap roll my bluffs when they are called and snap show my whiffs when the river checks through and I'm in worst position.
This is something that keeps people happy. Keep the game moving and don't stall for no apparent reason.

Quote:
I have started to wonder about the douche level of the first two scenarios though. I just hate to show my hand out of turn and not win the pot... just doesn't make sense to me.
Do you hate it from a "process" sort of perspective? (I did something I didn't need to do!) Or is there some ego tied to having to publicly admit to not having the best hand? Or because you think it displays some sort of presumptiveness?

There's really no reason to hate it. In passive games, if the river checks around and I've got nothing, I'm happy to turn over my hand proudly and announce "no pair" or "9-high" and expect someone to have me beat. In those games.
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #35
TheDarkKnight
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gotham
Posts: 896
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

Yes that's why I'm starting to be conflicted about it. Because it seems like a personal hang up more than anything practical. Anything less than 20/40 I'm not really worried about sharing unnecessary info.
TheDarkKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #36
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 27,209
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
Anything less than 20/40 I'm not really worried about sharing unnecessary info.
I think at those higher levels you can expect everyone to know/follow the basic protocols. If someone else is supposed to show, just say "Your action" or something like that and they should probably respond. (It's possible they've just zoned out for a moment.)

Edit: If they say "You got me" then I just show my hand and scoop the pot. I don't force them to show (though you can if you wanted). I'm usually not going to gain *that* much more useful information by knowing exactly what hand they played badly.
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #37
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 27,209
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead.money View Post
ThEY may not be able to do anything with the info, but you BETTER not keep showing me your hand..i will steal you blind! But I'm not your avg 4/8 player.
This is the least intimidating chest-thumping declaration I think I've ever seen.
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:03 PM   #38
TheDarkKnight
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gotham
Posts: 896
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

I've lost too many pots to people that have said "you got it" for me to show first after calling their bet.
TheDarkKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:40 PM   #39
DalTXColtsFan
veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: contributing to the poker economy
Posts: 2,718
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

It *is* worth pointing out that one should find out the rule about showing at any casino where they're playing. I've seen some casinos where it's always the previous aggressor who has to show first, and I've seen casinos where it kind of "resets" each round, i.e. if the river goes check-check whoever's out of position has to show first no matter what happened on any previous round.
DalTXColtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:40 PM   #40
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 27,209
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
I've lost too many pots to people that have said "you got it" for me to show first after calling their bet.
I can't say that I've had that happen before. I mean, maybe there was a missed draw or something.

I can understand being annoyed by that, and if you're afraid of someone angling you, you can always say, "Go ahead and muck."
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #41
TheDarkKnight
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gotham
Posts: 896
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

That's pretty amazing if you've never had it happen. Sometimes they have better ace high. Sometimes they are bluffing with bottom pair and you have ace high. Sometimes they have top pair and think if you're calling it can't possibly be good. Sometimes they have the nuts.

I mean if I know someone's character I'll courtesy show unless I'm particularly interested. But if I lose to you one time when you say "you got it" I'm never showing again.
TheDarkKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:25 PM   #42
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 27,209
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
That's pretty amazing if you've never had it happen. Sometimes they have better ace high. Sometimes they are bluffing with bottom pair and you have ace high. Sometimes they have top pair and think if you're calling it can't possibly be good. Sometimes they have the nuts.
Maybe it's because I have a lot of hours playing online poker and so the idea that people knowing what I have at showdown just doesn't bother me. Maybe it has happened, but I'm simply not caring enough to make mental note of it (though I think in the last example, I would have felt that someone was intentionally angling or something like that).
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:25 PM   #43
callipygian
slowrolled by tpiranha!
 
callipygian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: but I don't know which
Posts: 17,691
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
I have started to wonder about the douche level of the first two scenarios though. I just hate to show my hand out of turn and not win the pot... just doesn't make sense to me.
It's not douchey, it's just not taking advantage of the fact that showing costs you little and often gains you more than the cost.

One fine way to play is to check behind and just pause. If they say "I missed" or "you're good," snap show to avoid embarassing them. The other way is to just check and flip over your cards.

The only douchey scenario is where they say "I missed" and you say something obnoxious like "SHOW OR MUCK SIR" and force them to admit they called you with 4th pair 7th kicker and then you slowroll like 2nd pair top kicker or something.
callipygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:48 PM   #44
TheDarkKnight
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gotham
Posts: 896
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

Usually this scenario occurs because I think it's highly likely I don't have the best hand - hence, I checked the river back. I'm pretty good at extracting thin value bets.
TheDarkKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:52 PM   #45
callipygian
slowrolled by tpiranha!
 
callipygian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: but I don't know which
Posts: 17,691
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
Usually this scenario occurs because I think it's highly likely I don't have the best hand - hence, I checked the river back.
If you're not good on the river, how often are you good on the turn?
callipygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:25 AM   #46
lawdude
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 9,694
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

In general, I think you should just show if you think your hand has a reasonable chance of being good. Don't insist on the order of showdown. If you are a winning player, you benefit from fast showdowns because you play more hands an hour if the showdowns are fast, and you probably have a better idea of players' ranges than your opponents do anyway, so if this allows opponents to muck all the better.

Certainly, however, there's a special place in poker hell for people who say "I missed" and "you got it" with hands that have showdown value.
lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #47
Bkpokerkid
stranger
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 13
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

I agree I think showing has merit like when everyone is like show the bluff or show the nutz and you show them the opposite I think it can really mess with someone's view of you in a way that keeps em guessing as long as your not doing it to piss someone off because they will just work that much harder to crush you


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bkpokerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:18 PM   #48
MIB211
veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,263
Re: Showing in friendly, loose, easy games

If I play with a loose passive player and for some reason am bluffing them and succeed, I may show. If they're leak is to call too much I want them to think I'm bluffing and call more.

Similarly, if I'm value betting v a tight player who folds too much I may show. Again want to reinforce the tendency to overfold b
MIB211 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online