Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Poker Theory General poker theory

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
Ah Ad Ac As
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 23
The Future of Poker Theory

The future of LGTOP (Live Game Theory Optimal Play) will deviate from OGTOP (Online Game Theory Optimal Play) due to ubiquitous and unavoidable live tells. Online players are better at OGTOP than live players are at LGTOP due to accessibility of repetition. LGTOP is still in its infancy, but someone who can effectively read tells through equal repetition or intuitive genius and understands the current accepted OGTOP would change what the optimal line would be in any spot.

Example 1 is a future poker human crushing a perfect OGTOPlayer:

Imagine Doug Polk playing live poker against Doug Polk 2.0. Doug Polk says, "GTO and lol live reads." Doug Polk 2.0 says, "GTO and lol anyone who says, 'lol live reads.'." Let's assume that no matter how balanced Doug Polk's body language is, Doug Polk 2.0 will make some incredible calls, folds and bluffs more often than not. Doug Polk will change his lines because he believes that his opponent is unbalanced in his OGTOP. Meanwhile he is not adjusting his body language because that would be laughable. Doug Polk 2.0 crushes Doug Polk.

Example 2 is a future poker human using a LGTOP line against a fish instead of the current accepted OGTOP line:

Doug Polk 2.0 raises the button with AKss. Aggressive fish flats in the big blind. Heads up to the flop, effective stacks 1000bb. Flop is A6Jhhh. Fish leads for 2x pot. OGTOP says do something in between call and raise. Doug Polk 2.0 calls. 30bb pot. Turn is 7h. Board is A6J7hhhh. Aggro fish leads 2x pot. OGTOP says to do something in between fold and call. Doug Polk 2.0 Calls. River 150BB. 2S for a board of A6J72hhhhs. Villain shoves but immediately after the bet he pulls his hands back to their resting position too quickly almost as if he is feeling guilty that his hand will be caught in the cookie jar and Doug Polk 2.0 has a very strong sense that he is bluffing here with no heart. Doug Polk 2.0 calls using LGTOP that he has honed through a career of studying body language and OGTOP with equal amounts of gusto. Villain rolls over KdKs good for 1 pair. Doug Polk 2.0 scoops futuristic 2000bb pot while Doug Polk is still in the upswing lab trying to figure out how Doug Polk 2.0 was making such thin calls.

The future of poker is LGTOP. Just ask Doug Polk 2.0.
Ah Ad Ac As is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
Brokenstars
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Brokenstars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Check out my PGC!!!
Posts: 9,448
Re: The Future of Poker Theory

I think you're over emphasizing live tells tbh. I don't play live often, but even when I have a bluff that is similar to a strong hand I view it the same way -- there is no emotional attachment to the hands anymore as I've played enough hands of poker to really detach it all and just view any spot as +EV or -EV and play accordingly.
Brokenstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #3
Lego05
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 23,504
Re: The Future of Poker Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Ad Ac As View Post
he pulls his hands back to their resting position too quickly ... and Doug Polk 2.0 has a very strong sense that he is bluffing here with no heart.
From the speed with which villain withdraws his hands, not only does Doug Polk 2.0 know villain is bluffing, but he also knows that he isn't bluffing while holding a weak heart. Nice read.
Lego05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:38 PM   #4
RustyBrooks
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
RustyBrooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 22,649
Re: The Future of Poker Theory

Reads are very reliable with very bad players, and even with a decent player you will find some tells. But yeah, it's not as much of a part of the game as people would like to think.
RustyBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:11 AM   #5
Bob148
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Room 112 where the players dwell.
Posts: 8,027
Re: The Future of Poker Theory

I'm down with playing in imagination land as well, but I was really hoping for a different type of discussion based on the title. A few years ago I made a post about the future of poker. Here's a clip:

Quote:
There is no magic formula for solving real poker. The Fundamental Theorem of Poker was a good start. The concepts of game theory got us even closer. I believe that the aspiring poker player has a lot of work to do away from the table if he or she is to separate themselves from the pack, so to speak.

Those of you who are just starting out have it rough. I'm sorry to say that you're playing catch up against those who are studying the game. If your counterparts keep studying, you may never catch up no matter how much you study.
What's the point? Keep studying and improving.

Now? I think that in the future we will be solving simple multiway situations down to the nanobet.

I also think that if we don't soon come up with a solution for the possibility of opponent collusion in multiway pots and how that affects an individual player's decision, then we won't find an answer to all multiway decisions.
Bob148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #6
Shamway99
veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,953
Re: The Future of Poker Theory

How do the tells relate to game theory? Theory must be the same for live/online poker and reads are only deviations/exploitation.
Shamway99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #7
just_grindin
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,997
Re: The Future of Poker Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamway99 View Post
How do the tells relate to game theory? Theory must be the same for live/online poker and reads are only deviations/exploitation.
+1. There is no way to truly change optimal play. Online and live play differ because online players have access to information that players don't have live and vice versa. The online play trends closer to optimal strategies because the data is more accurate and is more extensive than information one can gather live.
just_grindin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
heehaww
Pooh-Bah
 
heehaww's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: It was an attractive goat in AR
Posts: 4,057
Re: The Future of Poker Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Ad Ac As View Post
Let's assume that no matter how balanced Doug Polk's body language is, Doug Polk 2.0 will make some incredible calls
Balanced body language means no tells. How will Doug 2.0 make those reads, by using psychic powers?
heehaww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:43 AM   #9
Yadoula8
grinder
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Royal Leamington Spa
Posts: 649
Re: The Future of Poker Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamway99 View Post
How do the tells relate to game theory? Theory must be the same for live/online poker and reads are only deviations/exploitation.
I'm glad you said that... I had high hopes for this thread too, but unfortunately you don't seem to understand how GTO works. And yeah, you seem to be putting too much stock in physical reads as well. The whole post was a little confused buddy.. Funnily enough, this does highlight exactly how Poker will change in the future.

In short... People will learn more about Poker Theory.

I happen to believe that my understanding of theory is more advanced than anybody else's in the world. And so, I believe that I can see exactly how players will advance in the future.

There won't be much change at the top. The best players need to play GTO heavily and the Poker world already understands GTO well.

Exploitative Poker is the place where the advancements will happen. I have only just worked out the theory behind exploiting, and my book isn't out yet, so very few people understand it like I do. Once the world does understand exploitative theory like I do, everything will change.

Poker will not be mathematical, we won't be calculating nano bets. We will go back to the old school. We will be reading faces and exploiting with every bet. GTO will be frowned upon, and will probably be banned from websites. The skill of a poker player won't be based on how many GTO plays he knows, it will be the same as normal sports, it will be the players attributes that separate the men from the boys. Bravery, creativity, wisdom, these are the qualities that will make a player great.

This change will be huge for Poker. The profit at the bottom will be massively magnified, and so those at the top will be raised up higher than ever before.

But before any of this happens, we need to have a revolution of sorts... Everyone needs to turn their back on GTO and switch to the dominant exploitative style. Hilariously, this is going to be far more easy for a beginner to do than an expert. Experts will struggle to understand exploitative theory, but it comes naturally to a beginner. Once a beginner reads my book they will instantly be more advanced than a seasoned pro. The market will suddenly open up. And we will all be rich.

There is a reasonable chance that my own book won't do well, but, this change is inevitable. Sooner or later everyone will learn what I teach whether they learn it from me or not... Exploitative is the dominant style. It will take over. And I can't wait!
Yadoula8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #10
just_grindin
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,997
Re: The Future of Poker Theory

@Yadoula8 I think you are missing your calling being a poker pro. You should be a politician. That career path will allow you to maximize your EV due to your ability to use so many words to express absolutely no meaningful ideas.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
just_grindin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #11
Yadoula8
grinder
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Royal Leamington Spa
Posts: 649
Re: The Future of Poker Theory

Oh, did I not make it clear that I think GTO will die and exploitative will take over?
Yadoula8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:06 AM   #12
just_grindin
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,997
Re: The Future of Poker Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadoula8 View Post
Oh, did I not make it clear that I think GTO will die and exploitative will take over?
Yes but Idk how it is meaningful. As we've discussed before optimal play and exploitive play are not mutually exclusive between human players. All the best players understand that as well. It's like saying "in the future poker will be played with cards".

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
just_grindin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #13
BDHarrison
journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 205
Re: The Future of Poker Theory

I feel that long post very much resembles how some people like to talk about how the future will be great once everyone reads Ayn Rand and throws off the shackles of conventional society.
BDHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM   #14
leavesofliberty
Pooh-Bah
 
leavesofliberty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: atlas shreeked
Posts: 4,753
Re: The Future of Poker Theory

I think GTO-type players, using language fluidly as it's supposed to be used, should exhibit less tells because they are thinking about EV decisions and not $ so they should be difficult if not impossible to beat.
leavesofliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM   #15
leavesofliberty
Pooh-Bah
 
leavesofliberty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: atlas shreeked
Posts: 4,753
Re: The Future of Poker Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadoula8 View Post
I'm glad you said that... I had high hopes for this thread too, but unfortunately you don't seem to understand how GTO works. And yeah, you seem to be putting too much stock in physical reads as well. The whole post was a little confused buddy.. Funnily enough, this does highlight exactly how Poker will change in the future.

In short... People will learn more about Poker Theory.

I happen to believe that my understanding of theory is more advanced than anybody else's in the world. And so, I believe that I can see exactly how players will advance in the future.

There won't be much change at the top. The best players need to play GTO heavily and the Poker world already understands GTO well.

Exploitative Poker is the place where the advancements will happen. I have only just worked out the theory behind exploiting, and my book isn't out yet, so very few people understand it like I do. Once the world does understand exploitative theory like I do, everything will change.

Poker will not be mathematical, we won't be calculating nano bets. We will go back to the old school. We will be reading faces and exploiting with every bet. GTO will be frowned upon, and will probably be banned from websites. The skill of a poker player won't be based on how many GTO plays he knows, it will be the same as normal sports, it will be the players attributes that separate the men from the boys. Bravery, creativity, wisdom, these are the qualities that will make a player great.

This change will be huge for Poker. The profit at the bottom will be massively magnified, and so those at the top will be raised up higher than ever before.

But before any of this happens, we need to have a revolution of sorts... Everyone needs to turn their back on GTO and switch to the dominant exploitative style. Hilariously, this is going to be far more easy for a beginner to do than an expert. Experts will struggle to understand exploitative theory, but it comes naturally to a beginner. Once a beginner reads my book they will instantly be more advanced than a seasoned pro. The market will suddenly open up. And we will all be rich.

There is a reasonable chance that my own book won't do well, but, this change is inevitable. Sooner or later everyone will learn what I teach whether they learn it from me or not... Exploitative is the dominant style. It will take over. And I can't wait!
I agree with most of this except for turning your back on GTO, which couldn't be done even if tried. I think accelerate GTO to its natural conclusion, and then poker will be fun again. I think the future will be new and different poker games, which means the mathematicians have to start all over again, while humans who have an intuitive grasp on what poker is will continue to play against other humans. Computers will still have ground-work of course for game theory and over-arching concepts.

Last edited by leavesofliberty; Yesterday at 02:28 PM.
leavesofliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM   #16
leavesofliberty
Pooh-Bah
 
leavesofliberty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: atlas shreeked
Posts: 4,753
Re: The Future of Poker Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenstars View Post
I think you're over emphasizing live tells tbh. I don't play live often, but even when I have a bluff that is similar to a strong hand I view it the same way -- there is no emotional attachment to the hands anymore as I've played enough hands of poker to really detach it all and just view any spot as +EV or -EV and play accordingly.
Essentially this, you're going to engage in an entirely different psychology. People will no longer perceive bluffs as bluffs, and will merely perceive bluffs as EV decisions. People are going to start thinking more like robots in the future.
leavesofliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM   #17
leavesofliberty
Pooh-Bah
 
leavesofliberty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: atlas shreeked
Posts: 4,753
Re: The Future of Poker Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadoula8 View Post
Oh, did I not make it clear that I think GTO will die and exploitative will take over?
I think the opposite will occur and everyone will start to play more GTO in the short run. What will happen to NLHE, and how good will computers be at this game?
leavesofliberty is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online