Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Religion, God, and Theology Discussion of God, religion, faith, theology, and spirituality.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
BigErf
veteran
 
BigErf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Planet Erf
Posts: 3,315
To Realize That We're God

Spoiler:

Last edited by BigErf; 05-20-2014 at 10:27 PM.
BigErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
ganstaman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ganstaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: central nj
Posts: 9,606
Re: To Realize That We're God

Guess you haven't quit the drugs yet? If you think this is a thread that will have real content and isn't just nonsense then I'm using that as evidence for how drugs erode the mind.
ganstaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:20 AM   #3
Bladesman87
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,938
Re: To Realize That We're God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2CiExupKuc
Bladesman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
Robin Agrees
veteran
 
Robin Agrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The here and Now!
Posts: 2,311
Re: To Realize That We're God

If we define God as brahman (found in Hinduism) then to make the claim we are god doesn't sound so bad. For God is playing all the roles, the world as play. Alan Watts puts it beautifully if you have ever listened to him.

You do the whole the universe the same way you grow your hair or invoke light from the sun because without your eyes there is no sun. In the same way if a tree falls in the woods it needs an ear drum to pick up the vibrations and you can't have noise with just one of those things. In the same way you can't have the whole universe without you, and you're it the whole dam thing. Not one, not two but non-duality.

If I were to describe you as a human I can't do that without also describing the environment that you are in. You come with it, not separate from it.
Robin Agrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
mangler241
grinder
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 534
Re: To Realize That We're God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Agrees View Post
If we define God as brahman (found in Hinduism) then to make the claim we are god doesn't sound so bad. For God is playing all the roles, the world as play. Alan Watts puts it beautifully if you have ever listened to him.

You do the whole the universe the same way you grow your hair or invoke light from the sun because without your eyes there is no sun. In the same way if a tree falls in the woods it needs an ear drum to pick up the vibrations and you can't have noise with just one of those things. In the same way you can't have the whole universe without you, and you're it the whole dam thing. Not one, not two but non-duality.

If I were to describe you as a human I can't do that without also describing the environment that you are in. You come with it, not separate from it.
...and if we define humanity as the "cancer of the planet", shouldn't it be "wiped out"?

Almost all human beings are ( metaphorically ) as close to being "G-d" as they are to the galaxies observed by the HUDF.
mangler241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
BigErf
veteran
 
BigErf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Planet Erf
Posts: 3,315
Re: To Realize That We're God

Spoiler:


Because if you think that this world would still be here without you or your imagination then you just lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Agrees View Post
In the same way if a tree falls in the woods it needs an ear drum to pick up the vibrations and you can't have noise with just one of those things.
Ear drums and vibrations - you can't have noise with just one of those things.
BigErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #7
BigErf
veteran
 
BigErf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Planet Erf
Posts: 3,315
Re: To Realize That We're God

But the world did still exist even before we evolved though, right?

So where was our imagination then?
BigErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #8
BigErf
veteran
 
BigErf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Planet Erf
Posts: 3,315
Re: To Realize That We're God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganstaman View Post
If you think this is a thread that will have real content and isn't just nonsense then I'm using that as evidence for how drugs erode the mind.
How are you going to feel about drugs if this thread turns out the other way?
BigErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #9
ganstaman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ganstaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: central nj
Posts: 9,606
Re: To Realize That We're God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErf View Post
Because if you think that this world would still be here without you or your imagination then you just lost.
No, the world would still be here without us. You proved as much already:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErf View Post
But the world did still exist even before we evolved though, right?
ganstaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
Ramana
banned
 
Ramana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,392
Re: To Realize That We're God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErf View Post
What's the purpose of life?
Same as the purpose of God:

Moving the fingers, typing this post, looking at screen and keyboard, hit "submit reply".
Ramana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:04 PM   #11
BigErf
veteran
 
BigErf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Planet Erf
Posts: 3,315
Re: To Realize That We're God

Get Dialed In!
BigErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:01 PM   #12
LucidDream
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LucidDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: flippin it on em!!
Posts: 10,675
Re: To Realize That We're God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganstaman View Post
No, the world would still be here without us. You proved as much already:
Max Planck disagrees w/ you....


Quote:
As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter.

Quote:
I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.
LucidDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:42 PM   #13
LucidDream
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LucidDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: flippin it on em!!
Posts: 10,675
Re: To Realize That We're God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganstaman View Post
Guess you haven't quit the drugs yet? If you think this is a thread that will have real content and isn't just nonsense then I'm using that as evidence for how drugs erode the mind.
Also this statement is laughable once you do a little research outside your local DARE program
LucidDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:37 PM   #14
ganstaman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ganstaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: central nj
Posts: 9,606
Re: To Realize That We're God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidDream View Post
Max Planck disagrees w/ you....
So you and Max Planck think the universe didn't exist until humans did?

-If yes: show me some evidence. I see evidence of the opposite, so it's a little hard to believe you blindly.

-If no: you aren't actually addressing what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidDream View Post
Also this statement is laughable once you do a little research outside your local DARE program
Well please inform me, then, oh Condescending One. I'm only a psychiatrist, so what would I know about drugs and the actual effects they have on the brain?

Though to be honest, I wasn't actually making a comment on drugs there, but more one about BigErf, who has this habit of getting high, then posting things that don't really make sense and would likely never be posted by someone who was sober.
ganstaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:56 PM   #15
BigErf
veteran
 
BigErf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Planet Erf
Posts: 3,315
Re: To Realize That We're God

something something in the air

why is this something not everywhere

how do I

get to be

the one that experiences this in reality

what must I do

what must I feel

to be the one to say this can't be real

it's created only through my mind

and through all of those by my side

but why

what for

why not a sure life

wouldn't that have been just as nice

lest we forget what life would've been

had when we all learned

to

Spoiler:


Spoiler:
BigErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:58 PM   #16
aapokermasteraa
centurion
 
aapokermasteraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: busto
Posts: 112
look up alan watts on youtube. best **** ever
aapokermasteraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #17
LucidDream
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LucidDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: flippin it on em!!
Posts: 10,675
Re: To Realize That We're God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganstaman View Post
So you and Max Planck think the universe didn't exist until humans did?

-If yes: show me some evidence. I see evidence of the opposite, so it's a little hard to believe you blindly.

-If no: you aren't actually addressing what I said.



Well please inform me, then, oh Condescending One. I'm only a psychiatrist, so what would I know about drugs and the actual effects they have on the brain?

Though to be honest, I wasn't actually making a comment on drugs there, but more one about BigErf, who has this habit of getting high, then posting things that don't really make sense and would likely never be posted by someone who was sober.

1) I didn't say that because I'm not actually smart enough to argue the point. I pointed out that Max Planck, a physicist who won the Nobel prize for his theory of Quantum Theory/Mechanics disagrees with what you said.

Someone who knows more about Quantum Mechanics can correct me if I'm wrong but he seems to be saying that matter as we know it doesn't exist and the universe is made up of probability equations of what is most probabilistic to happen. And not only does human consciousness affect the probability of things within the universe but they wouldn't be physical matter without some form of consciousness to be aware of it as matter.


2) That's great, as a psychiatrist you have some power to make info like this more widespread and available to people who really need it.


Psilocybin-Assisted Treatment for Alcohol Dependence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAdmGMceP-4



The Use of LSD, Psilocybin, and Bromo-LSD for the Treatment of Cluster Headaches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNonSMghN40



The Potential of Ayahuasca Use for the Treatment of Substance Dependencies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buHXsQ0-grI


There is a lot more info, much of it preliminary and much of it without tons of research data as most governments have made these drugs illegal in order to push more dangerous pharma drugs. None the less there is info out there if you look for it. Iboga and Ayahuasca have very high success rates for the treatment of addiction though given the setting and situations in which people use these, I'm sure the follow up data isn't enough to go on. That said it's time to stop ignoring these "drugs" or even labeling them drugs and start investigating their possible use in treatment of addiction, anxiety, depression, PTSD, etc.


I won't bother posting all the amazing things cannabis does as the info is all over the internet and quite easy to find. At this point anyone who denies cannabis as a drug with positive medicinal benefits is pushing their own agenda anyway.

When are our govts going to let us do research within a controlled environment with these amazing drugs that could potentially have a higher success rate than the man made drugs currently being prescribed?
LucidDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:15 PM   #18
ganstaman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ganstaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: central nj
Posts: 9,606
Re: To Realize That We're God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidDream View Post
And not only does human consciousness affect the probability of things within the universe but they wouldn't be physical matter without some form of consciousness to be aware of it as matter.
If we assume this is true (and I'm fairly certain many other Nobel Prize winners don't assume this is true), this leaves 2 options:
1) There was some consciousness before humans that made the universe physical, in which case there is no disagreement with what I said earlier.

or
2) There was no physical matter in the universe before humans came to be. Which is quite a claim to be making. It's certainly an idea, but there seems to be quite a bit of evidence that it's not true. I'm curious to know if there's supporting evidence that doesn't come from a man that's missed out on more than the past 60 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidDream View Post
2) That's great, as a psychiatrist you have some power to make info like this more widespread and available to people who really need it.

...
I won't bother posting all the amazing things cannabis does as the info is all over the internet and quite easy to find. At this point anyone who denies cannabis as a drug with positive medicinal benefits is pushing their own agenda anyway.

When are our govts going to let us do research within a controlled environment with these amazing drugs that could potentially have a higher success rate than the man made drugs currently being prescribed?
I like to make sure the information I'm spreading is factual. And certainly, some of these drugs do have benefits when used in certain ways. But some people are really attached to the drugs and present such a skewed view of these potential benefits and the risks. I mean look, you say "amazing drugs" and "amazing things cannabis does" to contrast with the "more dangerous pharma drugs." You're not even trying to be objective.

I don't know that cannabis is actually as good or better at treating anything than other medications we have, btw.
ganstaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:06 PM   #19
BrianTheMick2
Need a ride?
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13,719
Re: To Realize That We're God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganstaman View Post
If we assume this is true (and I'm fairly certain many other Nobel Prize winners don't assume this is true), this leaves 2 options:
1) There was some consciousness before humans that made the universe physical, in which case there is no disagreement with what I said earlier.

or
2) There was no physical matter in the universe before humans came to be. Which is quite a claim to be making. It's certainly an idea, but there seems to be quite a bit of evidence that it's not true. I'm curious to know if there's supporting evidence that doesn't come from a man that's missed out on more than the past 60 years.
Those would be valid criticisms if LucidDream had actually understood what Max Planck actually believed. What Max believed was this:

"Als Physiker, als ein Mann, der für sein ganzes Leben der nüchternen Wissenschaft der Erforschung der Materie gedient hat, bin ich sicher von dem Verdacht frei, für einen Schwarmgeist gehalten zu werden. Und so sage ich nach meinen Erfahrungen des Atoms folgendes:
Es gibt keine Materie an sich. Jegliche Materie entsteht und besteht einzig und allein durch eine Kraft, welche die Atomteilchen in Schwingung bringt und sie zu dem winzigen Sonnensystem des Atoms zusammenhält. Da es im ganzen Weltall weder eine intelligente noch ewig abstrakte Kraft gibt – es ist der Menschheit nie gelungen, das heiß ersehnte Perpetuum Mobile (das auch sich selbst bewegte) zu finden – so müssen wir hinter dieser Kraft bewussten, intelligenten Geist annehmen.
Dieser Geist ist der Urgrund der Materie, nicht die sichtbare, aber vergängliche Materie ist das Reale, Wahre, Wirkliche (der Boden), denn diese Materie bestünde, wie wir es hier schon gesehen haben, ohne diesen Geist überhaupt nicht, sondern der unsichtbare, unsterbliche Geist ist das Wahre. – Weil es aber Geist an sich nicht geben kann, und jeder Geist einem Wesen zugehört, so müssen wir zwingend Geist-Wesen annehmen. Da aber auch Geist-Wesen nicht aus sich selbst sein können, sondern geschaffen sein müssen, so scheue ich mich daher nicht, diesen geheimnisvollen Schöpfer ebenso zu nennen, wie Ihn alle Kulturvölker der Erde früherer Jahrtausende genannt haben: GOTT.” — Max Planck


Roughly translated: "Hi, my name is Max. LucidDream doesn't know what the heck he is talking about. Please have him stop telling lies about what I believed."

Quote:
I like to make sure the information I'm spreading is factual. And certainly, some of these drugs do have benefits when used in certain ways. But some people are really attached to the drugs and present such a skewed view of these potential benefits and the risks. I mean look, you say "amazing drugs" and "amazing things cannabis does" to contrast with the "more dangerous pharma drugs." You're not even trying to be objective.

I don't know that cannabis is actually as good or better at treating anything than other medications we have, btw.
But cannabis is natural, like all good things such as castor beans!

I am fairly sure that it has been empirically shown that cannabis is the best treatment for the crushing disappointment of having to work in retail or restaurants, fwiw.
BrianTheMick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #20
tame_deuces
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tame_deuces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,051
Re: To Realize That We're God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidDream View Post
Snip.
That a psychoactive drug can be used in treatment does not imply that the drug is benign, healthy or in any other way, shape or form "good for you".

And to be brutally frank, understanding this is the absolute minimum threshold for being able to even discuss if specified drugs are harmful or not.
tame_deuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #21
uke_master
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,208
Re: To Realize That We're God

loving the posts talking about quantum mechanics, consciousness and pot all at the same time. The irony is awesome.
uke_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #22
LucidDream
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LucidDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: flippin it on em!!
Posts: 10,675
Re: To Realize That We're God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tame_deuces View Post
That a psychoactive drug can be used in treatment does not imply that the drug is benign, healthy or in any other way, shape or form "good for you".

And to be brutally frank, understanding this is the absolute minimum threshold for being able to even discuss if specified drugs are harmful or not.
Always smart to just requote me to "snip" when you're going to completely misquote something then use it as your argument to to dismiss what was said.

Excellent post.
LucidDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #23
Doggg
veteran
 
Doggg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,114
Re: To Realize That We're God

I always look forward to Big Erf's posts. Don't understand the hate.
Doggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:36 PM   #24
BrianTheMick2
Need a ride?
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13,719
Re: To Realize That We're God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggg View Post
I always look forward to Big Erf's posts. Don't understand the hate.
Spoiler:


Spoiler:


Spoiler:
BrianTheMick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #25
Robin Agrees
veteran
 
Robin Agrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The here and Now!
Posts: 2,311
Re: To Realize That We're God

Why would anything love you? No reason at all why is there something rather than nothing?

I wish I could get cancer and die.
Robin Agrees is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online