Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Religion, God, and Theology Discussion of God, religion, faith, theology, and spirituality.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 12:47 PM   #51
All-In Flynn
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
All-In Flynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 8,095
Re: Pinning Down Definition Of Sins of Commission vs Omission

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sklansky View Post
I didn't say taking the 1K and giving it to charity justifies not saving the guy. I said it would make him less sinful than the guy who never stopped at all.
Sure, secularly I'd agree the guy's behavour is less unethical. In terms of most forms of mainstream CT, it might offset a few Hellpoints, I suppose. I'll just stop replying, you want theist views here.
All-In Flynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #52
sobefuddled
grinder
 
sobefuddled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 465
Re: Pinning Down Definition Of Sins of Commission vs Omission

Quote:
I didn't say taking the 1K and giving it to charity justifies not saving the guy. I said it would make him less sinful than the guy who never stopped at all.
Disagree. Both deliberately chose self-serving behavior. In the second case the guy made a value judgement that said X charity was more valuable than this particular human life. He played God. Impersonating God is a bigger offense, IMHO. The first guy was either guilty of not seeing anything for himself in saving the guy or gulty of giving into fear that he could lose if he tried to save the guy. He might even have been so self-involved that he didn't even know the guy was in trouble.
sobefuddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #53
David Sklansky
Administrator
 
David Sklansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 12,981
Re: Pinning Down Definition Of Sins of Commission vs Omission

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobefuddled View Post
Disagree. Both deliberately chose self-serving behavior. In the second case the guy made a value judgement that said X charity was more valuable than this particular human life. He played God. Impersonating God is a bigger offense, IMHO. The first guy was either guilty of not seeing anything for himself in saving the guy or gulty of giving into fear that he could lose if he tried to save the guy. He might even have been so self-involved that he didn't even know the guy was in trouble.
Please. How could you not realize that I am comparing apples to apples. I am assuming that the only difference between the two prosective rescuers is that one need $1000 to be persuaded not to do it.
David Sklansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #54
sobefuddled
grinder
 
sobefuddled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 465
Re: Pinning Down Definition Of Sins of Commission vs Omission

Quote:
Please. How could you not realize that I am comparing apples to apples.
My bad-
Quote:
If I walk by a drowning man I don't like, it is a sin of omission as long as I had nothing to do with his drowning. But what if I notice someone rushing to help and I offer that person $1000 not to? (In other words I pay him to commit a sin of omission.)
Well, where I come from there are no sins of "omission" or "comission" There's just sin. In this case what you have is conspiracy to commit murder assuming that both men have the physical ability to save the drowning man. Motive doesn't matter. One is motivated by hate and the other by greed. Different strokes for different folks. Either way the poor guy out in the pond is dead. Killed by hate and greed. Equally evil.
sobefuddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:09 AM   #55
shahrad
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,520
Re: Pinning Down Definition Of Sins of Commission vs Omission

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobefuddled View Post
Disagree. Both deliberately chose self-serving behavior. In the second case the guy made a value judgement that said X charity was more valuable than this particular human life. He played God. Impersonating God is a bigger offense, IMHO. The first guy was either guilty of not seeing anything for himself in saving the guy or gulty of giving into fear that he could lose if he tried to save the guy. He might even have been so self-involved that he didn't even know the guy was in trouble.
+1
shahrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online