Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Religion, God, and Theology Discussion of God, religion, faith, theology, and spirituality.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2017, 12:50 AM   #51
JohnyCrash
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,234
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo View Post
Man was supersensible . Sit on it, let it percolate; no one has to believe, just try to comprehend it. The best to you.

Not exactly what I'd like to say. Man and the earth began as supersensible beings and there was an evolution of all creatures with mankind being the last to enter the earth(sensibly) as the other creatures, in some form, precipitated(better word here ?) to the earth .

He was still first but last to enter into what we might call earth. the dates and times are not necessarily related to what anthropology states about man and animal origins. This type of thing can only be clarified with a trained clairvoyant consciousness but can be understood with appreciative thinking.
To be honest it sounds like you are trying to fit todays facts to match up with your fiction. They don't fit and its a feat of mental gymnastics to even try to make them.
JohnyCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:23 AM   #52
dynamite22
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 189
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyCrash View Post
To be honest it sounds like you are trying to fit todays facts to match up with your fiction. They don't fit and its a feat of mental gymnastics to even try to make them.
People like WLC and Frank Turek make their career out of mental gymnastics
dynamite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #53
well named
poorly undertitled
 
well named's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: esse est coesse
Posts: 72,857
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo View Post
I can't answer that question. Perusing the literature I can glean that the number of years is a function of background radiation and the fact that there is a red shift which displays that the universe is expanding.

By backwards projection and assuming that the "big bang' is a point focus of the densest matter which expands the age has been calculated to be 13.1 billion years.

Apparently, the clustering of aging stars has produced a figure of about 11 billion years.
It appears that you are confusing the age of the earth for the age of the milky way, based on the numbers you are using (11-13 billion years) and the idea of expansion and redshift.

The age of the earth is determined using radioactive decay (radiometric dating), which is quite different, and current estimates are like 4.5 billion years.
well named is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #54
JohnyCrash
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,234
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by well named View Post
It appears that you are confusing the age of the earth for the age of the milky way, based on the numbers you are using (11-13 billion years) and the idea of expansion and redshift.

The age of the earth is determined using radioactive decay (radiometric dating), which is quite different, and current estimates are like 4.5 billion years.
He did not make a mistake, he just avoided the question because it conflicts directly with his faith.
JohnyCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #55
dynamite22
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 189
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

dynamite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #56
carlo
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,383
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by well named View Post
It appears that you are confusing the age of the earth for the age of the milky way, based on the numbers you are using (11-13 billion years) and the idea of expansion and redshift.

The age of the earth is determined using radioactive decay (radiometric dating), which is quite different, and current estimates are like 4.5 billion years.
Ok, got it. though age of the universe, which I referenced is 13.1 billion years; difference between age of the universe and the milky way ?

Also i thought only in terms of the "big bang' which I believe only speaks to universal origin. And so, according to this reference point not only the earth was formed but also the sun during this length of time.


I just wanted to get it because of the little time we have left( few billion years ?) and referenced the wrong number. thanx again.

Last edited by carlo; 04-12-2017 at 03:24 PM.
carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #57
carlo
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,383
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyCrash View Post
He did not make a mistake, he just avoided the question because it conflicts directly with his faith.
You're such a liar ; you and I are done; sit on your hands and the world will be a better place to live. You're on auto pilot with no conception of your final destination, ideas reacting just as floating bulbar in a river of flotsam and jetsam. No more than fish bait ..... sayonara
carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:58 PM   #58
Sun Tzu
laconic
 
Sun Tzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: the bog
Posts: 76,412
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo View Post
Ok, got it. though age of the universe, which I referenced is 13.1 billion years; difference between age of the universe and the milky way ?

Also i thought only in terms of the "big bang' which I believe only speaks to universal origin. And so, according to this reference point not only the earth was formed but also the sun during this length of time.


I just wanted to get it because of the little time we have left( few billion years ?) and referenced the wrong number. thanx again.
the universe is believed to be 13.8 billion years old
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #59
JohnyCrash
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,234
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo View Post
You're such a liar ; you and I are done; sit on your hands and the world will be a better place to live. You're on auto pilot with no conception of your final destination, ideas reacting just as floating bulbar in a river of flotsam and jetsam. No more than fish bait ..... sayonara
You wrote a novel without answering the question, so I assumed you did not want to answer. I call it like I see it. Btw you still haven't answered the question.
JohnyCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #60
festeringZit
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,282
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyCrash View Post
Do you have a dog? Look at him, he is descended from wolfs like we are descended from monkeys. We share 98% of our DNA with chimpanzees.

These are facts, while we don't understand everything about evolution we do know that its happening.
Facts? ROFL.

That 98% figure was debunked years ago.

'An article in Science puts the actual figure at 94%. (Jon Cohen, "Relative Differences: The Myth of 1%, June 29, 2007). But even these figures are only measuring about 2% of our total genetic makeup - that is, those genes that code for proteins, the building blocks of our physical bodies and functions.

The vast majority of our DNA, known as "non-coding DNA" - sometimes called "junk DNA" because it was once thought not to have function - is very different in humans from most non-coding genes found in chimps and other apes. However, recent research has found that, contrary to previous belief, this repetitive DNA isn’t "junk" after all, but has distinct purposes.'

Besides, we share ~70% DNA with a friggen slug.

Wheeee!!!
festeringZit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #61
festeringZit
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,282
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeeel View Post
Not exactly, No. Also "I/We dont know" is a perfectly acceptable answer



Even if I did believe your strawman position, there is nothing about your position that makes it more believable. "God" has no explanatory power. We dont know where he came from, or how he made the universe. Potentially he made it from "nothing", since either there was "nothing" and then he made the universe, or else something was already there( how?) and he used that






You are just showing how little you understand. What information that is in DNA?
also,Its perfectly possible that DNA evolved.
No, actually you are showing how blind and ignorant you are.

"What information that is in DNA?"

Is that a question? Is that English?

"It's perfectly possible that DNA evolved."

Um, not from "randomness" it's not. Not even close.

Try again?
festeringZit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #62
festeringZit
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,282
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamite22 View Post
This is *exactly* what atheists do.

Assume material naturalism, and then try and explain everything in
that light.

Wheeeee!!!!!
festeringZit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:58 PM   #63
festeringZit
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,282
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamite22 View Post
People like WLC and Frank Turek make their career out of mental gymnastics
Actually, that's a lie - but I know it makes you feel better about yourself
to lie like that.
festeringZit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #64
dynamite22
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 189
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by festeringZit View Post
This is *exactly* what atheists do.

Assume material naturalism, and then try and explain everything in
that light.

Wheeeee!!!!!
you fill in the blanks with godidit based on faith
dynamite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:24 PM   #65
dynamite22
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 189
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by festeringZit View Post
Actually, that's a lie - but I know it makes you feel better about yourself
to lie like that.
Are you familiar with WLC's divine command theory and the underlying premises?
Turek is much less sophisticated than WLC. WLC is more skilled at misrepresenting the opponent's views in debates. They're both in the apolegetics business though which pretty much necessitates mental gymnastics.
dynamite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #66
neeeel
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,448
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by festeringZit View Post
No, actually you are showing how blind and ignorant you are.

"What information that is in DNA?"
umm nope, your quote was

Quote:
"answer where the information came
from that is in DNA"
and my response is
Quote:
What information that is in DNA
Its a perfectly reasonable question.


Quote:
Quote:
"It's perfectly possible that DNA evolved."
Um, not from "randomness" it's not. Not even close.
Well, Im glad you are able to show this, who knows, you could win a nobel prize for this work.
neeeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #67
festeringZit
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,282
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeeel View Post
umm nope, your quote was



and my response is


Its a perfectly reasonable question.




Well, Im glad you are able to show this, who knows, you could win a nobel prize for this work.
OK. I'll bite.

Are you actually questioning if there is information in DNA?
(snicker)
festeringZit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #68
neeeel
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,448
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by festeringZit View Post
OK. I'll bite.

Are you actually questioning if there is information in DNA?
(snicker)
You said there was information in DNA. Perhaps you need to define information first?
neeeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:58 PM   #69
uke_master
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,228
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeccross View Post
This is why I believe it is wrong that religion has such a prominent place in state funded schools.
I have no idea why you quoted me. I was talking about the uncertain nature in response to people who claim theory of changes. What does that have to do with your claim?
uke_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:12 PM   #70
uke_master
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,228
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron W. View Post
I wonder whether the impact that they've had on the general population is any bigger or smaller than the impact of things like fad diets have had with regards to, for example, gluten products or GMOs. I think I could say the underlined sentences about things like that and it would be accurate.

Certainly, there has been an impact on particular subpopulations, but my suspicion is that the overall influence is significantly lower (at least in the US).
My guess is that their big influence is on making atheist/agnostics more...uhh...atheisty. That is, people identifying more with these labels, being more "out", being versed in some of the issues, and so forth. Or at least this is far far more than the number of "conversions".
uke_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:16 PM   #71
uke_master
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,228
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by festeringZit View Post
This is *exactly* what atheists do.

Assume material naturalism, and then try and explain everything in
that light.

Wheeeee!!!!!
True. And they have been very successful at that project.
uke_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:37 PM   #72
batair
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
batair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: fore the rain starts
Posts: 14,488
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by festeringZit View Post

Besides, we share ~70% DNA with a friggen slug.

Wheeee!!!
Damn i have a lot in common with a slug and the rest of earths life. Makes you think.
batair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:10 AM   #73
tame_deuces
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tame_deuces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,081
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by batair View Post
Damn i have a lot in common with a slug and the rest of earths life. Makes you think.
Well, we share about 98% of our DNA with mice.

Then again, an F-16 with a working engine and an F-16 without a working engine are almost identical. But one of them will tend to act more like a rock.
tame_deuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #74
DoOrDoNot
adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 807
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0X0F View Post
The best manual I've ever seen for creating atheists is the Bible. I wonder how many Christians have actually read it all. I've tried several times and just made another attempt recently. It's worse than trying to read James Joyce.

The god of the bible is laughably misogynistic, egotistical, capricious and genocidal. As George Carlin once noted, this is not impressive for a supreme being. It's more like what you would expect from an office temp with a bad attitude.

I'm so glad I gave up this fairy tale years ago.
What standard of morality are you using to judge the 'god of the bible' this way? I understand your personal opinion is yours to hold and that's fine, but it's amusing to me how many so called enlightened atheists draw upon the aether for their moral judgements of non-existent beings.
DoOrDoNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:43 AM   #75
WereBeer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,671
Re: A Manual for Creating Atheists

Quote:
Originally Posted by festeringZit View Post
Besides, we share ~70% DNA with a friggen slug.

Wheeee!!!
Yeah that evidence of common ancestry thing is pretty awesome, agreed.
WereBeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online