Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > Other Topics > Religion, God, and Theology

Notices

Religion, God, and Theology Discussion of God, religion, faith, theology, and spirituality.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #61
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't forget. You are loved by God.
Posts: 18,896
Re: How Can Religion Lose Its Respect / Power?

Tjmj90 if you read the Introduction to The Apologetics of Jesus by Geisler and Zukeran at one point it says:

"Apologetics comes from the Greek word apologia, which means a defense. The apologist uses reason and evidence to present a rational defense for the Christian faith. Jesus was continually confronted with the need to defend his claims to be the Messiah, the Son of God. So by definition, he was an apologist.

Despite the fact that Jesus was an apologist and that by common consent he was probably the greatest teacher ever, it is strange indeed that no one has written a major work on the apologetic methods of Jesus. This book is an attempt to correct that serious omission.

Those who oppose apologetics in favor of a leap of faith without evidence will be disappointed in Jesus. Nowhere does he call on anyone to make an unthoughtful and unreasoned decision about his or her eternal destiny. Everywhere Jesus demonstrates a willingness to provide evidence for what he taught to every sincere seeker. Indeed, the Law and the Prophets, which Jesus came to fulfill (Matt. 5:17), inform us of a God who says, "Come now, let us reason together," (Isa. 1:18), and exhorts us to test false prophets (Deut. 13:1-5, 18:14-22). And those who were taught by Jesus exhort us to "give reason for our faith" (1 Peter 3:15) and not to make a leap of faith in the dark but rather to take a step of faith in the light- in the light of the evidence he has provided in nature (Rom. 1:19-20), in our hearts (Rom. 2:12-15), and in history (Acts 17:30-31)."

So we do have an evidentiary case it's just not understood very well. It could be that the fideists outnumber the evidentialists or that over time listening to and being led by God has become a more dominant theme than presenting evidence.
Splendour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #62
Revisionist Historian
 
master3004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Undrafted in Great 2012 WW draft!
Posts: 25,581
Re: How Can Religion Lose Its Respect / Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour View Post
Is there anyone on here that you think is as good as Jesus and would guide you better than him?
I havent launched a religion that has killed thousands.

I am better than jesus.
master3004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #63
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't forget. You are loved by God.
Posts: 18,896
Re: How Can Religion Lose Its Respect / Power?

Jesus saved the world. The only sword he ever used was the Word of Truth. But that's not true of other religious founders. If you took the time out to compare the founders rather than 10 billion religious concepts you might be able to sort your way to the truth.

Note the saved is past tense. It's a done deal.
Splendour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #64
Revisionist Historian
 
master3004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Undrafted in Great 2012 WW draft!
Posts: 25,581
Re: How Can Religion Lose Its Respect / Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour View Post
Biblical Archaeology
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/13...eology-855851/

The God Gene
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/47...d-gene-143283/

A Kind of Evidence and Craig
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/13...-craig-855856/

The Gospels Historicity and Timeline
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/47...meline-252402/

Hugh Ross' Evidence with the Probability Numbers:
http://www.reasons.org/articles/arti...y-of-the-bible

That's just a start.

Let me know if you need more evidence posts. But I think that's probably enough. Enough at least to support the claim I made above that I've been collecting evidence for years.
You left out the one about Aliens creating the pyramids. Your intuition was spot on there.
master3004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #65
Revisionist Historian
 
master3004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Undrafted in Great 2012 WW draft!
Posts: 25,581
Re: How Can Religion Lose Its Respect / Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour View Post
Jesus saved the world. The only sword he ever used was the Word of Truth. But that's not true of other religious founders. If you took the time out to compare the founders rather than 10 billion religious concepts you might be able to sort your way to the truth.

Note the saved is past tense. It's a done deal.
Sweet, so you can quit your proselytizing, right?

We're all saved, your work here is done.
master3004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #66
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't forget. You are loved by God.
Posts: 18,896
Re: How Can Religion Lose Its Respect / Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by master3004 View Post
You left out the one about Aliens creating the pyramids. Your intuition was spot on there.
That was a speculative thread.

I didn't realize most atheists took everything so literally or I would never have attempted anything imaginative on here.

Do you really enjoy being so critical and unforgiving?

Holding onto criticism and unforgiveness is like holding onto a cup of poison. In the end it'll do more damage to you than it does to the one being criticized.

Constructive criticism is overrated imo.
Splendour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #67
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't forget. You are loved by God.
Posts: 18,896
Re: How Can Religion Lose Its Respect / Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by master3004 View Post
Sweet, so you can quit your proselytizing, right?

We're all saved, your work here is done.
More to it than that I'm afraid and I don't think you can speak for everyone.

Why don't you seek out another forum if I bother you or just put me on ignore?
Splendour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #68
Revisionist Historian
 
master3004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Undrafted in Great 2012 WW draft!
Posts: 25,581
Re: How Can Religion Lose Its Respect / Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour View Post

Do you really enjoy being so critical and unforgiving?
To you? yes.

But that is mostly because I hate you.

You are the embodiment of everything that is wrong with my country. You make me ashamed for the human race. You, in essence, are a bad, dishonest, mean person.
master3004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #69
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't forget. You are loved by God.
Posts: 18,896
Re: How Can Religion Lose Its Respect / Power?

Ignore me then.

But remember....I actually did what everyone on here demands a theist do: I got evidence and I double checked a lot with the scriptures.

So I complied with both God and men's requirements.
Splendour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #70
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't forget. You are loved by God.
Posts: 18,896
Re: How Can Religion Lose Its Respect / Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour View Post
Biblical Archaeology
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/13...eology-855851/

The God Gene
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/47...d-gene-143283/

A Kind of Evidence and Craig
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/13...-craig-855856/

The Gospels Historicity and Timeline
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/47...meline-252402/

Hugh Ross' Evidence with the Probability Numbers:
http://www.reasons.org/articles/arti...y-of-the-bible

That's just a start.

Let me know if you need more evidence posts. But I think that's probably enough. Enough at least to support the claim I made above that I've been collecting evidence for years.

This a very important post. Hope no one overlooks it.

Links to evidence threads.
Splendour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #71
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,051
Re: How Can Religion Lose Its Respect / Power?

thanks for the links, will go thru them at somepoint in the next couple days
Tjmj90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #72
True Facts
 
asdfasdf32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Treading lightly
Posts: 13,158
Re: How Can Religion Lose Its Respect / Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by master3004 View Post
You left out the one about Aliens creating the pyramids. Your intuition was spot on there.
The Egyptian Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour
I didn't realize most atheists took everything so literally or I would never have attempted anything imaginative on here.
We're going to have to take you literally so long as you believe in the miraculous sans evidence. You're basically forcing us to use Poe's Law with regard to any of your posts.
asdfasdf32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #73
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't forget. You are loved by God.
Posts: 18,896
Re: How Can Religion Lose Its Respect / Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjmj90 View Post
thanks for the links, will go thru them at somepoint in the next couple days
Oh, I almost forgot. If you're into the more supernatural claims you could read M. Scott Peck's 2 forays into the field of demonic possession.

He's a Harvard educated scientist who in his scientific opinion believes there are cases of it occurring. He went into it expecting to prove it didn't occur but he came out with the opposite conclusion.

The book: Glimpses of the Devil: A Psychiatrist's Personal Accounts of Possession, Exorcism, and Redemption by M. Scott Peck
Splendour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #74
Gifmeister

 
||.||.||'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ♥☮☺☼
Posts: 8,416
Re: How Can Religion Lose Its Respect / Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendour View Post
Holding onto criticism and unforgiveness is like holding onto a cup of poison. In the end it'll do more damage to you than it does to the one being criticized.

Constructive criticism is overrated imo.
Are you aiming to show that the intent or purpose of something is better served by an alternative approach?
||.||.|| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #75
banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Don't forget. You are loved by God.
Posts: 18,896
Re: How Can Religion Lose Its Respect / Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ||.||.|| View Post
Are you aiming to show that the intent or purpose of something is better served by an alternative approach?
I don't think so.

I'm just used to master's negativity toward me in his posts and I'm hoping he'll realize its harder on the him in the end than it is on me.
Splendour is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive