Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Religion, God, and Theology Discussion of God, religion, faith, theology, and spirituality.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2016, 09:11 PM   #101
spanktehbadwookie
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
spanktehbadwookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: River Region
Posts: 16,358
Re: Christianity is a scam

Faith doesn't seem complicated from the position of practice.

Whether it is religious faith or spontaneous expression of facing uncertainty, or intentional acceptance of a value like support, strength, clarity, and love. When where and what can be enough to have faith without how or why.

Is plain faith a scam? Can you have faith and find out or have faith and don't bother?
spanktehbadwookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:03 AM   #102
Mr Awesome
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 33
Re: Christianity is a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffle View Post
God did not put us here and order us to worship Him or obey His laws.
Errr actually that's exactly what he did, read da Biblol much?

He gave Moses a couple of plates (very nicely carved btw) with instructions how people should behave and that one's right at the top

There's also a talking bush in there somewhere


P.S. I'm also wondering where have all the angels gone? There was a bunch of eyewitnesses 2000 years ago and nearly everyone had his personal angel floating around like a balloon giving awesome advice but these days you can't find them anywhere! Did they get sick of people or are they just camera-shy?
Mr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #103
Pokerlogist
veteran
 
Pokerlogist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: "turn on ,tune in, drop out"
Posts: 2,373
Re: Christianity is a scam

As with any influential figure in history, Jesus's ideas transcend his earthly presence. Lots of smart people like his ideas. You have a brain. Study them and then accept them or don't. Jesus is not going to show up anymore and bop you in the head with the book and say "Wake up, bozo, I told you the Way centuries ago."
Pokerlogist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:24 AM   #104
FlicksTracey
banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 125
Re: Christianity is a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffle View Post
Well, I can honestly admit I'm not going to read a wall of vitriol. Hope you enjoyed yourself however, knock yourself out.
Translation: "I am too scared to engage logical arguments. I prefer to indulge in self delusion"


Sure, whatever you like, knock yourself out. Glad you agree that christianity (and every other religion) is a scam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerlogist View Post
Jesus is not going to show up anymore
pretty difficult since he did not exist
FlicksTracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #105
batair
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
batair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: fore the rain starts
Posts: 14,081
Re: Christianity is a scam

Takes a lot of faith to say Jesus did not exist.
batair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #106
spanktehbadwookie
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
spanktehbadwookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: River Region
Posts: 16,358
Re: Christianity is a scam

Jesus Christ at least exists as much as the words on a page which say otherwise.
spanktehbadwookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #107
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 27,451
Re: Christianity is a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlicksTracey View Post
pretty difficult since he did not exist
Translation: "I am too scared to engage logical arguments. I prefer to indulge in self delusion"
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:53 PM   #108
bavsa
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 19
Re: Christianity is a scam

I disagree with you. Christianity to Me means giving a **** about others, taking risks, and putting skin in the game. Anyone can talk. It's a religion where Christ paid the price for others who weren't Jewish, but who were good people, to be given a new way to Heaven. Be baptized, state that Jesus is the Lord of Heaven, and acknowledge that you are a sinner.

When I was baptized in 2014 I didn't make it more complicated than it needed to be. I'm a sinner and Jesus is the Lord of Heaven. It's an honor religion. Isn't about being a "good guy" or "polite" or whatever you call it. To Me it means if someone is down, lend them a hand. How they do when you help them out matters, but don't kick them to the curb.

Wherever there is truth, Satan and his deceivers will spread their lies.
bavsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:07 PM   #109
ToothSayer
Pooh-Bah
 
ToothSayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,457
Re: Christianity is a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Position View Post
Sure, that is fine. I think trying to figure out if Christianity has overall been a negative or plus is really difficult. I attempt an argument for one part of it having been positive here.
Is there a thread on this here? Can you recommend books? It's one of the big questions that fascinates me and I feel like there could be a strong answer to, but I don't know what it is.

I mean, obviously Christianity has been incredible for European social cohesion, from the local to the state level, and had a strong civilizing effects on its people and culture. On one level you could argue that was what enabled Europe to develop all of its math and science and philosophy and technology.

On the other hand, Christianity probably created a prolonged dark ages, prolonged serfdom, and cloistered thought.
ToothSayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #110
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 27,451
Re: Christianity is a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothSayer View Post
On the other hand, Christianity probably created a prolonged dark ages...
Very few historians accept this hypothesis.
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:37 AM   #111
Inzaghi
journeyman
 
Inzaghi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 204
Re: Christianity is a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavsa View Post
I disagree with you. Christianity to Me means giving a **** about others, taking risks, and putting skin in the game. Anyone can talk. It's a religion where Christ paid the price for others who weren't Jewish, but who were good people, to be given a new way to Heaven. Be baptized, state that Jesus is the Lord of Heaven, and acknowledge that you are a sinner.

When I was baptized in 2014 I didn't make it more complicated than it needed to be. I'm a sinner and Jesus is the Lord of Heaven. It's an honor religion. Isn't about being a "good guy" or "polite" or whatever you call it. To Me it means if someone is down, lend them a hand.
I'd be willing to bet on the following:

You give a **** about others and are willing to lend a hand because you're a good person. Religion need not enter the fray of consideration. If religion disappeared tomorrow and its influence on you were erased, you'd still be a good person.

And don't be bashful. Its far better to say " I give a **** about you because I'm a good person" than "I give a **** about you due to my blind faith in the existence of some extraordinary being (despite the lack of evidence) and were it not for this blind faith, I really wouldn't care about you."

Also its a terrible thing to assume that birth automatically qualifies you as a sinner.

As to OPs question, yes Christianity is a scam. To any that might argue on this point, I invite you to first consider this:

What is the difference between a religion (Christianity) and a cult (Scientology)? I'm yet to receive a compelling answer to this aside from nothing.
Inzaghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:17 AM   #112
FlicksTracey
banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 125
Re: Christianity is a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron W. View Post
Translation: "I am too scared to engage logical arguments. I prefer to indulge in self delusion"
Oh, you have testable evidence that jebus and god exist? Go ahead and show it.
FlicksTracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:43 AM   #113
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 27,451
Re: Christianity is a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlicksTracey View Post
Oh, you have testable evidence that jebus and god exist? Go ahead and show it.
I have not yet made claims about Jebus or God. The fact that you've been so wrong so repeatedly throughout this thread in your accusations suggests a rather severe mental incapacity of dealing logically with information. I suppose it's of no harm to me to continue watching in amusement.

But I will now make a claim about Jesus. According to the overwhelming majority of historians, Jesus is a historical person that existed.
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #114
FlicksTracey
banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 125
Re: Christianity is a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron W. View Post
I have not yet made claims about Jebus or God. The fact that you've been so wrong so repeatedly throughout this thread in your accusations suggests a rather severe mental incapacity of dealing logically with information. I suppose it's of no harm to me to continue watching in amusement.

But I will now make a claim about Jesus. According to the overwhelming majority of historians, Jesus is a historical person that existed.
So no evidence then? Fine, did not think you would deliver. Oh, and you omitted god completely

Carry on claiming I am acting illogical while acting illogical.

I'll carry on watching your poor kindergarten style in amusement while there is not a shred of evidence of the historical jebus, just anecdotes (which you, as a fighter for logic, should understand is not evidence at all)
FlicksTracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #115
tame_deuces
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tame_deuces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,075
Re: Christianity is a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlicksTracey View Post
So no evidence then? Fine, did not think you would deliver. Oh, and you omitted god completely

Carry on claiming I am acting illogical while acting illogical.

I'll carry on watching your poor kindergarten style in amusement while there is not a shred of evidence of the historical jebus, just anecdotes (which you, as a fighter for logic, should understand is not evidence at all)
For someone who continuously indulges in irrational rants, you're very arrogant. Those are not traits that combine well.
tame_deuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:25 PM   #116
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 27,451
Re: Christianity is a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlicksTracey View Post
So no evidence then?
Sure, I'll provide evidence.

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/01/149462...makes-his-case

http://www.livescience.com/13711-jes...ence-hold.html

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-be...storical-Jesus

Quote:
Carry on claiming I am acting illogical while acting illogical.
Will do! You're taking a position that's contrary to the majority of historians. In the absence of a very solid reason to do this, I expect this will end poorly for you. If that's an illogical thing to claim, then I'll be happy to be illogical.

Quote:
I'll carry on watching your poor kindergarten style in amusement while there is not a shred of evidence of the historical jebus, just anecdotes (which you, as a fighter for logic, should understand is not evidence at all)
Your turn. You've claimed "there's not a shred of evidence." Go.
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:01 AM   #117
Pokerisfu
journeyman
 
Pokerisfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 362
Re: Christianity is a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron W. View Post
Sure, I'll provide evidence.

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/01/149462...makes-his-case

http://www.livescience.com/13711-jes...ence-hold.html

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-be...storical-Jesus



Will do! You're taking a position that's contrary to the majority of historians. In the absence of a very solid reason to do this, I expect this will end poorly for you. If that's an illogical thing to claim, then I'll be happy to be illogical.



Your turn. You've claimed "there's not a shred of evidence." Go.


90 percent of historians agree that there was a man named Jesus claiming repentance of sins the only thing questionable about Jesus's existing was his god like abilities. Christianity is not a scam what about the millions of charity's and ministry's that you don't hear about that make the world a better place. Real Christianity is about serving others and being selfless no wonder most people don't like that everyone wants to be rich and elevate there social status by worldly means. Some people say religion starts wars and kills people yet the biggest genocide and most killings come from principle were taught to stay away from things like pride and greed envy have killed more then anything hitler killed millions because of pride and greed to conquer and slaughtered people of religion. Everyday street kids across the world in gangs kill eacth other and sell eacth other drugs just for cash. With out religion I think the world would be even more dangerous billions of people practice various religions usually keeping there minds focused on peace and love without such direction definitely see high crime and more wars.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pokerisfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:10 AM   #118
Inzaghi
journeyman
 
Inzaghi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 204
Re: Christianity is a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerisfu View Post
Some people say religion starts wars and kills people yet the biggest genocide and most killings come from principle were taught to stay away from things like pride and greed envy have killed more then anything hitler killed millions because of pride and greed to conquer and slaughtered people of religion.
Sure, politics and power are massive factors that lead to war while religion is a comparitively small factor. But the fact that religion is a contributing factor at all, no matter how small, is reason enough to abandon it.
Inzaghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:40 AM   #119
Pokerisfu
journeyman
 
Pokerisfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 362
Re: Christianity is a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzaghi View Post
Sure, politics and power are massive factors that lead to war while religion is a comparitively small factor. But the fact that religion is a contributing factor at all, no matter how small, is reason enough to abandon it.


Everything in the world has negatives and positives you might as well abandon everything. the problems Not with religion the problems are with the people. same argument with guns its not the gun it's the person behind it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pokerisfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:55 AM   #120
Inzaghi
journeyman
 
Inzaghi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 204
Re: Christianity is a scam

And do the positives of religion outweigh:
-faith driven conflict
-genital mutilation
-the abandonment of women's rights regarding abortion
-the concentration of wealth among the elite (see Catholicism and Scientology)
-faith schools which, by definition, abandon fact in favour of faith
-prejudice against homosexuals?
Inzaghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:42 AM   #121
Pokerisfu
journeyman
 
Pokerisfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 362
Re: Christianity is a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzaghi View Post
And do the positives of religion outweigh:
-faith driven conflict
-genital mutilation
-the abandonment of women's rights regarding abortion
-the concentration of wealth among the elite (see Catholicism and Scientology)
-faith schools which, by definition, abandon fact in favour of faith
-prejudice against homosexuals?


Ok guns wars gang wars cartel wars school shooting movie theatre shootings. Positives to have a gun protection if used properly and hunting that's about it should we get rid of guns?

Alcohol fights drunk driving car accident addiction liver failure poor judgement crime etc should the world Abandon alcohol only positive is it feels and taste good


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pokerisfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:43 AM   #122
Pokerisfu
journeyman
 
Pokerisfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 362
Re: Christianity is a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzaghi View Post
And do the positives of religion outweigh:
-faith driven conflict
-genital mutilation
-the abandonment of women's rights regarding abortion
-the concentration of wealth among the elite (see Catholicism and Scientology)
-faith schools which, by definition, abandon fact in favour of faith
-prejudice against homosexuals?


And yes the positives of religion out way the bad there is knuckle heads on all walks of life


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pokerisfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:20 AM   #123
Inzaghi
journeyman
 
Inzaghi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 204
Re: Christianity is a scam

Do you really think Homo sapiens would engage in genital mutilation in the absence of religious influence?

You say that people are to Blame, not religion. But in the case of genital mutilation and a good deal else, the problem is most assuredly religion. As per the title of this thread, its a scam and should be done away with.
Inzaghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #124
Pokerisfu
journeyman
 
Pokerisfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 362
Re: Christianity is a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzaghi View Post
Do you really think Homo sapiens would engage in genital mutilation in the absence of religious influence?

You say that people are to Blame, not religion. But in the case of genital mutilation and a good deal else, the problem is most assuredly religion. As per the title of this thread, its a scam and should be done away with.


Dude you seem a bit crazy on this genital mutilation issue. And yea with or without religion people will do crazy things to eacth other like shoving millions of women men and children in gas chambers. Problems not religion bro it's people


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pokerisfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #125
Aaron W.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 27,451
Re: Christianity is a scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzaghi View Post
Do you really think Homo sapiens would engage in genital mutilation in the absence of religious influence?
Yes, for exactly the same reasons people endanger their children by not getting them vaccinated and why people freak out about GMOs and gluten. The more appropriate label for these types of behaviors is probably to say that these are "socio-cultural effects."
Aaron W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online