Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Medium-High Stakes Full Ring Discussion of $400+ pot-limit and no-limit and 5/10 live texas hold'em full ring games, situations and strategies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #126
vinivici9586
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
vinivici9586's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,046
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

jcl seems to put a ton of effort into doing what he thinks is best for teh forums, and i think its out of line to personally attack him for it.

on the subject of cluttering the forum with random non-strat threads, i think jcl's made some good deletes before (time to look back at 2010 extremely redundant version of brb thread), but having one pca thread and one aussie millions thread seems pretty reasonable (if there were 2 threads for each, one for stars regs and one for ftp regs, that would be redundant).

if jcl's ultimate goal is to get a good amt of strat discussion from both online/live players, i think having a bunch of different interesting/useful threads active (even satirical ones like live v online) will get ppl to visit msfr more often, and will significantly increase their likelihood of poasting.

im probably repeating what other ppl have said, but thought i would throw in some support for jcl
vinivici9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:26 AM   #127
jlocdog
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lake Tahoe/NYC
Posts: 5,368
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

pizzle- Appreciated.

Adam- Do you take issue with the fact that I locked the threads and created a discussion here, in the discussion thread, about how I felt about keeping a proper official-strategy ratio (and then reopening them for you after the discussion)? Or, do you take issue with the fact that I even have a ratio of official-strategy threads that I'd like to see happen?

If it's the former, well I'm not sure how I could have made the process any more democratic than I did. Could I have posted in this thread before I locked them? And would that have made a/the difference? Maybe. And I can concede that the way I went about it may have come off brash. I wasn't sure if anyone would notice my post in this thread so locking them was more of an attention grabber so we can come to some sort of agreement.

If it's the latter, well it is the start of the new year and I wanted to make it clear that I didn't want this forum overrun by official/OT threads like MSNL. On this point I am adamant, and the reason is because I want MHFR to be a functioning strategy forum. MSNL no longer is. Sure there are some threads weaved between all of the OT/official threads but for the most part has turned into a chat forum for mid stakes players. And that is fine and I am more than ok with it.

But for MHFR to succeed in becoming a strategy based forum we must be able to strike a balance. Otherwise we devolve into MSNL. This is the same reasoning I had with getting rid of leveling...and trolling....and rudeness... A forum that is strategy based can not survive unless certain conditions are met.

Now, finding the right balance should be what this discussion is all about. Where do we draw a line and how do we handle things when that line is crossed is what needs to be asked. People put time into their threads and closing them can be annoying to them. So we need to find a way for this community to police itself in regards to maintaining a nice balance. If/when this balance is disrupted something has to be done.

vinivici- Much appreciated and you bring up excellent points. Some OT/official threads are absolutely a stimulant to the forum.. You are so correct that a good thread brings outside traffic which can only benefit the strategy threads. We just need to make sure that they are made at a pace that wont clutter the forum. I try my best to be fair but as you pointed out, I have closed threads that seem redundant and/or serve a few of the community.

As for the recent tournament threads, I agree that they serve many people in this community and others and thus I reopened them. But to ensure this balance, I wanted to find out how many tournament threads were being planned on created throughout the year and let it be known that each tournament can not garner its own thread. These two obviously are big in this community and the WSOP is the mofo WSOP and deservedly will get its own thread. We struck a deal that EPT threads can be put in the pokerstars thread and found out that many of the WPT and other big tournaments won't cater to enough people that will warrant a thread. I believe we have made a successful negotiation here, don't you?

And I love the occasional OT thread like "brb", "live vs online", "the santa thread", etc.. They all bring something to this forum whether that be humor, nostalgia, or just good will. As you said they are beneficial in more than one way and I hope we have more of them. They just need to be made at a reasonable pace.
jlocdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:53 AM   #128
Adam27X
veteran
 
Adam27X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York/New Jersey border
Posts: 2,083
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

First, I apologize if my posts have come off as an attack - that definitely was not my intention, though I will admit I may have been a bit bitter for having a few of my posts deleted when I thought they should not have been. Regardless, that's all in the past now and thus that's not worth talking about. (Not sure if vini's post was directed at me, but either way I want to make it clear that I am not attacking jloc at all.)

I have no issue with the way you handled these new threads, as it was quite fair and in the end it was all the same. I just feel that with a forum like this one, a lax approach to moderating is best. I'm not saying don't do anything at all - I hate all of the pointless leveling and trolling in strat threads as much as anyone, and I've never even had that happen in one of my own threads. I personally would not have locked the threads if I were in your shoes, but would have taken action if new (and more importantly, unnecessary) threads became rampant.

As for the strategy to *official* ratio, I think it's fair. I agree that too many *official* threads can clutter the forum, but there are plenty of *official* threads that are quite useful. I'm not sure if a quantitative ratio is the solution, but it's fair. I think you should just use your judgement to determine whether or not a given thread is useful (A WSOP thread is very useful whereas a "Run good" thread is completely useless). Either way, I think we've talked way too much about this topic as new threads such as these will probably be quite rare anyway.

I'm glad that you like the occasional OT thread because I like the life that those bring to the forum.
Adam27X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #129
DoubleFly
Pooh-Bah
 
DoubleFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Still Bloggin, Stakin, & Affiliatin
Posts: 5,987
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

Imo, considering the lack of participation in the forum, I think anything that doesn't get absurd should be allowed, as long as it relates to the game of full ring, or relates to msfr regs.

I can see why someone would think an mtt thread doesn't make sense in the forum, but when I enter a major mtt, I'm not gonna want to chat about it with a bunch of mtt donks I don't know. I'm going to want to post in a forum where I know people and whose opinions I "respect". ;-) Assuming 2+2 is in the business of trying to improve volume and quality of posts, I don't see any other forum where I would want to post with others on major mtts.

For me, posting on 2+2 is 80% social. Even the little strat I post is "social", since I'm usually not posting if I don't know you or your sn. And I certainly don't open the forum looking for strat. The occasional strat thread I open and post in is purely a function of how many other threads of interest there is in the forum. So if the "social" aspects of the forum start getting cut back, there's a good chance people will lose interest in the forum completely.
DoubleFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #130
jasons0147
Pooh-Bah
 
jasons0147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: What goods a TV if u live in a box.
Posts: 4,599
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

Not trolling when I say this....DFly FOR MOD!!!
jasons0147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #131
loco
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Puddle of SALTS nowhere near IEL
Posts: 9,926
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

we want doublefly, we want doublefly we want doublefly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #132
jij452
adept
 
jij452's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: See my waiting list
Posts: 1,129
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

I'm a new relatively comer down here, but I'd like to say something.

Every time I opened a strat thread, I've learned something that actually improved my game. A lot.

I never found people being too rude. Of course, people didn't give complete answers "for free", and I had to keep the discussion going to get them. But I always got them.

People that helped me (Jason, DFly, GrandMelon, 00Brinan00, Sparky... sorry if I forget someone) are all regs that could easily only coach for $ and never post strats. Given the actual state of the poker economy, this is huge imo.

On the other side, I'm 99.9% sure these people wouldn't be around here if they couldn't find the 'social" aspects DFly was referring to.

The quality of a forum isn't in the OT/strat thread ratio. It has very little to due with high traffic.

It resides in the quality of the posters. So let's keep them around.
jij452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #133
hurt
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,148
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons0147 View Post
Not trolling when I say this....DFly FOR MOD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
we want doublefly, we want doublefly we want doublefly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this is actually a really good idea. can this happen?
hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #134
jlocdog
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lake Tahoe/NYC
Posts: 5,368
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

Why again does this forum need another mod?
jlocdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #135
jasons0147
Pooh-Bah
 
jasons0147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: What goods a TV if u live in a box.
Posts: 4,599
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlocdog View Post
Why again does this forum need another mod?
With all due respect, who said another?
jasons0147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #136
GoAheadPutMeOnAK
banned
 
GoAheadPutMeOnAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,770
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlocdog View Post
As of this moment, this strategy based forum severely lacks both quality and quantity. My goal is to boost both of those and it will be done without the use of disrespect and derailment. If you have any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas on how we can better this forum please offer them here.**I do want to say though that this thread WILL remain civil in its debate. The idea of this thread is for people to express ideas, not to belittle or disrespect others. If leveling and trolling is your only goal within your participation on 2p2, I suggest you go elsewhere.
Agree that there is too much trolling and level attempts, but I don't think that a pure strat forum is possible. Among other reasons, not enough incentive to take time away from making money to help other people make money.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jlocdog View Post
This forum was split from the SSNL-FR exactly because the regs in this forum wanted it that way. When it was one forum, people complained there were too many remedial posts. Funny how we have come full circle. We see what a ghost town does to a forum (look at it right now) and we see what an overpacked, too many bad posts, monkey house is like (SSNL-FR a few years ago). I would like to strike a balance right in the middle. We will get there...
I do prefer one forum though.

GoAheadPutMeOnAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #137
jlocdog
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lake Tahoe/NYC
Posts: 5,368
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

Jason- I love when people start a sentence with, "I mean no disrespect" before disrespecting them. Reminds me of this. Regardless, there is no need for a second mod at this time and I am not going anywhere if that answers your question.

Respectfully yours,
jlocdog

GoAhead- You may want to read what the forum has to offer now (that quote you reference is over a year old) as strategy threads are now thriving without the constant trolling, leveling, and disrespect that was standard a year ago. People ARE giving time and effort when responding to threads. This is essentially a pure strategy forum (with the occasional OT gem) and it seems to be progressing quite nicely.

As said numerous times, it takes time to build a forum filled with quality contributions. It takes trust that their efforts won't go for naught, and dedication by the community as a whole to sustain and help build upon its foundation. I believe that progression has been taking place over the course of the past year and will continue to evolve as people see how well conducted the posters in this forum are and the generosity that they continue to display.

I think at this point we will maintain our independence from SSFR.

jij452- I agree that all the posters you named are good contributors and their time is much appreciated (even those who don't respect me...). I'm glad you found the forum and hope it continues to be a useful tool in your progression as a poker player.
jlocdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #138
zachvac
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
zachvac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,684
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlocdog View Post
Jason- I love when people start a sentence with, "I mean no disrespect" before disrespecting them. Reminds me of this. Regardless, there is no need for a second mod at this time and I am not going anywhere if that answers your question.

Respectfully yours,
jlocdog
He didn't say he meant no disrespect, he said "with all due respect", there's a huge difference and you missed it by a mile. Your response makes you seem super full of yourself as though you feel you're above the rest because you have a green name and that it's super disrespectful to suggest that someone who actually plays in the games listed in the title of the forum might do a slightly better job at modding than you. I've actually always thought it was such a brilliant business model for 2p2. You have a business that makes a ****ton of money and then a ton of people to do volunteer work for you. All you have to do is make it seem cool give them a cool colored name and some power. Although I guess when some of them do it because of the power it's understandable a few of them might go on a power trip, no offense

But in all seriousness I do like what you've done to the strat threads and they really are a lot better than they used to be even though once in awhile I just have to facepalm at a live thread where people are using logic most commonly found at like 25nl online (although there have been a few good live threads) but in general troll-free threads are good and as long as they're clearly marked I can read the ones made by people with brains and ignore the dumb ones like "omgomg I have an overpair does he have a set???" I just think it's kinda funny that you take such offense that someone mentions someone else might do a slightly better job than you at when it comes down to it a pretty easy job. And please don't argue saying it's not easy it's a ton of work and then turn around and be offended when someone wants to let you not do that work that you don't get paid to do in the first place.
zachvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #139
jlocdog
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lake Tahoe/NYC
Posts: 5,368
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

Please tell me what the difference between the two are in this context? What do you think he is inferring? I'm all ears...

Also pretty amazing that you think because I don't believe we need another mod nor do I feel that I should stop modding this forum that I am full of myself and on a power trip. I have taken on the task of cleaning this forum up, making it a troll free zone, and allowing strategy threads to thrive. This has been my main goal since day 1 and will continue to be moving forward. Not sure how that is spun into some sort of power scheme where I am above the rest of you.

Your read is so far off it's laughable. I think anyone with no predisposition could see that quite plainly.

Your backhanded compliment only makes the rest of your post that much sillier.

And no, this job is not difficult in the least. It can be annoying to deal with immature 18year olds every once in a while but I certainly don't lose sleep over it.
jlocdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:26 AM   #140
hurt
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,148
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

i'm trying to be objective in this post, jloc. i know you're doing your best and i don't intend to offend you. here are my observations...

this forum has gone to complete crap. isn't it clear that something is wrong when 16 of the first 17 strategy threads are live poker? the description under SSFR says that 5/10 live threads belong there, and that is for a reason. it sucks to read threads in MSFR where OP is bet/deciding with TPTK or whatever. i believe that most online MSFR players feel the same, and i also believe that this forum was created to cater to those players.

IMO, if you address this issue, there will be a resurgence of online threads and the forum will be healthy again. as it is right now, people do not want to post online hands because it does not feel (and rightly so) like an online poker forum where online threads are valued and thus responded to. it is no coincidence that the midstakes 6max forum is doing well and this one is not - it is a product of live poker infestation.

furthermore, i take issue with the fact that the primary moderator plays mostly live poker. nolan or doublefly for mod, one time?

hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:15 AM   #141
soah
Unexpected
 
soah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 59,398
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

No one posted online hands here. Ever. At least now there's some intelligent discussion going on.
soah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:56 AM   #142
cbi
banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 227
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

Although I am not a regular poster, I have to say that this forum is pretty disappointing for me. It should be the forum that I am most interested in, because mid-high stakes FR is what i play, but as an online player I do not feel like I can contribute a lot to all the messed up live poker posts and most of them also do not contain information that is interesting to me.

This is obviously because there are so many fundamental differences in live and online play. The different stacksizes, totally different opponents, "reads" stuff / not having stats, different importance of balance and all those things. So I do not feel too competent about commenting on live poker.

I dont know if it is necessary to group live and online together, because the online FR community is not big enough, but i would guess more people would participate if this forum was about their actual game like promised in the subtitle. ATM I think as a random mid/high online FR player you do not really have a "home" or starting point at 2p2.
cbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:26 AM   #143
jasons0147
Pooh-Bah
 
jasons0147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: What goods a TV if u live in a box.
Posts: 4,599
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

Somehow forgot all about this thread. I actually did mean "with all due respect" when I mentioned the idea of dlfy modding in place of you. I dont feel that you do a poor job whatsoever, in fact I think you do a good job. I simply just feel that it would make more sense for us to have an active mod that plays our in games. Someone like Dfly is basically our everyman mod, where your honestly kind of a stranger.

In regards to all of the live threads being posted and the quality of them.

Let me ask this. Take a random live reg that has beaten up to 25/50 live for a few hundred hours what do you think the highest level they could beat (1ptbb+) online 12+ tabling with 30 days? 1/2? Maybe?

Lets assume this. Take any random 2ptbb 12+ tabling MSNL FR reg. Within 30 days whats the highest level that you think they could beat live assuming they could adjust to the amount of money in front of them? 50/100? Maybe higher?

My point is the level of thinking of Midstakes regs online vs live, just because its the same limits does not mean that its the same game. Im not trying to offend anyone and I honestly think this forum would be a ghost town without live threads. However, just because the trolling has gone down and the amount of threads and discussion has gone up does not mean that the quality of discussion is on par with what an online midstakes reg would expect.

This isnt to say that anyone in this forum is beyond anyone else, but our forums are broke into separate levels for a reason. That reason in the past has as far as Ive known been so that their was a familiarity between the posters on that forum and so that threads were able to be responded to by people that are on an even playing field in regards to the level of thinking needed to respond.
jasons0147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #144
jlocdog
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lake Tahoe/NYC
Posts: 5,368
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

Hurt- Let me get this straight then. You think this forum has gone to crap because there are so many live threads and no online threads anymore, yet those of you who play mostly/all online refuse to post hands here. Got it.

I have asked NUMEROUS times for their to be more online threads and for more of the online regs to participate more outside the 2 chat threads and have received one of two answers. Either they prefer to keep their strategy discussion amongst themselves outside of 2p2 or they give no answer at all ignoring my solicitations and going about their business as usual. Both answers are perfectly acceptable and I understand the reasons for both (they don't want to share info and they don't give an f about me).

Now, you are trying to really contest that the reason their are minimal online threads right now is because it "doesn't feel like an online poker forum"? Are you really trying to sell that? I have a brilliant idea for you. You and others start posting online threads and guess what....online threads will appear and then it will feel more like an online forum to you! Seriously, this circular logic of yours is hilarious.

And to say this forum has gone to crap, I think you need to venture into the past of this forum before making statements like that. Go check out how valuable all the threads were in 08-09. Most threads had less then 10 responses with handful of them being useless/trollish. Oh the glory days...

And for the record, this is not an online forum. This is a forum found online that contains both live and online strategy threads. This will always be this way no matter how much you hate it or no matter how many mods get added (none as of now).

If you look at the sticky at the top of MHFR you will see that this forum allows 5/10+ live hands and I reserve the right to allow others if I deem so. I will ask the SSFR mods to change their sticky to reflect this so their is consistency throughout the forums and so you can get past this technicality.
jlocdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #145
jlocdog
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lake Tahoe/NYC
Posts: 5,368
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

cbi- Maybe if you started posting some hands and participating in the [few] online threads that are posted you would get more out of this forum. To say you are disappointed because the content in here is not what you are looking for, yet making no effort to help improve your situation does not cut it. You get what you give.

If you contest the online FR community isn't that big then how can we justify a forum strictly for them with no live threads allowed? And if you assert that if we removed live threads that online players would then come out from hiding to now post and be more active, why does the presence of live threads stifle this to begin with? Your argument makes no sense and seems to be fabricated from the same cloth as hurts.

Here's an idea...post some hands. Participate in the online threads that get posted. You will soon find a "home". Stop expecting everything to be just right for your liking without putting in any effort to contribute to the stability and prosperity of the forum you desire. That is what the small community of midstakes live players have done/are doing and it seems to be working out for them. Become a participating member who helps create change instead of expecting things to be the exact way you want them to be in your ideal world.
jlocdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #146
DGAF
Pooh-Bah
 
DGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,012
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

Beat 25/50 live, mayyyyyybe beat 1/2 online hahahahahaha. False sense of everything much?
DGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #147
jlocdog
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lake Tahoe/NYC
Posts: 5,368
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

Jason- And my link is still pretty spot on (maybe zachvac can see that now and realize who actually missed your post by a mile).

Live and online play differently and I don't think their is any argument over that (is their?). So to try and compute what a live players win rate would be at comparable stakes online is worthless because the approach to the game and the optimal play are just different. What works live may not work online and vice versa. What is best for a given play live may not be best for that same scenario online and thus where a player may be cleaning up with a given style in one format, may be the big fish in the other.

Are you arguing that a ghost town of a forum is better than what we have now? If that is the case I think we will have to agree to disagree. There is a growing community within MHFR that puts forth effort, shows common courtesy, and is eager to both learn and help each other. Why you or others think this is a bad thing or that I should stifle it is bewildering. It ain't gonna happen. I only wish the online players would decide to emulate what is already going on here so this forum can be diverse and all encompassing. But that's up to you guys...

Now as for dfly or anyone else becoming a mod, let me go through this one last time so there will be no more appeals to it. There is no need for another mod with the amount of traffic this forum gets. This goes especially true for the want of a mod who plays mostly online in a forum where posters refuse to post online threads.

Not to mention, why am I going to promote someone to be a mod when they don't participate in any threads outside the chat threads? Are you insinuating that if he were mod suddenly people would want to post more online hands? If that's the case, what difference does it make who mods the forum? Just start posting some hands already...

There will always be contention and dissent when dealing with the masses. It is impossible to appease everyone, I understand that. But from the positive feedback I have received through PM and the effort put forth in the threads available, it seems as though this forum is doing some things right. If you want to have change in the forum then be apart of the change. Sitting on the sidelines, posting only in the chat threads, and yelling from the bleachers of what you want and what you don't like just doesn't cut it and will solicit no change. Post some hands. Get involved. Playing monday morning quarterback, asking for a ghost town rather then a fully functioning forum will not achieve anything you want, I promise.

The only way to raise the level of content to your satisfaction is to participate and raise the level of content to your satisfaction!

I appreciate the compliment of me doing a good job. I am trying. If online players will give a couple of inches I'm sure we can find some harmony here. If not, the forum will continue to evolve without you, plain and simple. I hope that isn't the case.
jlocdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #148
cbi
banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 227
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlocdog View Post
cbi- Maybe if you started posting some hands and participating in the [few] online threads that are posted you would get more out of this forum. To say you are disappointed because the content in here is not what you are looking for, yet making no effort to help improve your situation does not cut it. You get what you give.

If you contest the online FR community isn't that big then how can we justify a forum strictly for them with no live threads allowed? And if you assert that if we removed live threads that online players would then come out from hiding to now post and be more active, why does the presence of live threads stifle this to begin with? Your argument makes no sense and seems to be fabricated from the same cloth as hurts.

Here's an idea...post some hands. Participate in the online threads that get posted. You will soon find a "home". Stop expecting everything to be just right for your liking without putting in any effort to contribute to the stability and prosperity of the forum you desire. That is what the small community of midstakes live players have done/are doing and it seems to be working out for them. Become a participating member who helps create change instead of expecting things to be the exact way you want them to be in your ideal world.
Actually my problem is that i want to participate more but feel limited ability to do so. Often times I have checked this forum if there is anything to participate in and all i can find are the live hands where someone maneuvered himself into some ridiculous spot. Threads like were a guy limp reraises queens or where someone 4-bet jacks and does not know what do to a 5-bet ... and then the discussion revolves around the question if you should call it off because the villain was born in asia and thinks you are crazy because you play the 22/6 instead of the 10/2 live player style.

If this is all you can find 5 times in a row then you dont bother to check anymore. The only online hand on the first page yesterday was a rush hand. Well, that might be the one hand I wouldnt comment on even in an online forum, because I have never played rush and dont have any insight in the different dynamics there. And if I post on something on the 2nd page people will get upset because I revived an old thread. So that makes zero threads for me to respond to. And I am in the forum of the game I have totally specialized in.

The last time I posted a hand in this forum it had zero replies. Granted that it probably was not the most interesting question in the world, but I did not even get a one-liner or something. Couple that with the low interesting thread count and you dont have a lot of motivation to change the forum by yourself as a relatively new poster.

Also I said I DONT KNOW if the online FR community is big enough to create the desired traffic. I have no idea how many users this community consists of. I was just looking for reasons that possibly could explain the lack of online hands. I also do not know how big the higher-incentive-to-post effect would be in an online-only forum and how much it would outweigh the fact that the community is probably small. I can only say that I mostly do not bother to look into this forum anymore for the stated reasons and instead post hands in the german strategy forum. Which isnt quite statisfying too because most people there play way smaller stakes and/or different games.

Last edited by cbi; 04-15-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: formatting
cbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #149
jlocdog
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lake Tahoe/NYC
Posts: 5,368
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

cbi- I realize much of this moot now since the online world has come crashing down for many here (which really blos and I'm sorry for those affected), but again, you are passing the buck. You tried to post a hand once and received minimal/no feedback and now you can't ever post a hand again? You also never participate in any of the online threads that are available here shown by your post count. Stop envisioning this sub forum to be exactly how you want it and be proactive in making it that way. Post a hand! Post some feedback!

As for the quality of content on live hands in this forum, if you truly believe the content in all the live threads are all ridiculous then I'm not sure what you are looking to get from a public forum. In my estimation this is the most thoughtful poker discussion taking place anywhere. Sure there are some poor threads, lousy played hands, silly predicaments, etc, but not all threads can grant "ah ha" moments accompanied by earth shattering commentary and unveiling new and improved concepts on which to build upon.

I'm not sure what you see in most of the online threads that blows you away in terms of thought provoking situations and quality of content given by others for responses. The fact that you are just more familiar with the dynamic of an online game is most likely the source of this bias. If/when you venture into a casino or homegame and play some live you will see that the variables discussed in live play threads are important for a reason just as when live players would venture into the online world they would see a totally different makeup and new set of obstacles and questions.

If I am wrong on this, please link me to some really good online discussions so I can raise the bar on what should take place here (of course allow me the option to match every online thread with a live thread with equal or greater discussion).

You have to remember that not all hands are interesting. Not all hands are complex. Not all hands will be thought provoking. Some will post hands to get objective opinions because their subjectivity may cloud them from what is correct. Some may not be at the level you are at and thus their hands seem beneath you. Some hands posted may not interest you because they don't/won't really apply in the games you play. Not every thread can be a winner. This goes for online hands too..

If you want to be apart of this community we are more than happy to invite you in but ultimately you have to make the leap. Sure it may be rough going at the beginning where your threads don't get the attention you'd desire but with time they will. You don't gain recognition over night here. This forum can be hard on newbs and rightfully so. People are offering valuable information and many would like to think their generosity will be reciprocated moving forward. With new posters they can't be sure so often times they hold back. The only way to be a bigger part of the community is to make your presence known by quality, unconditional posting.

Good luck and I hope to see you posting more around these parts.
jlocdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #150
jlocdog
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lake Tahoe/NYC
Posts: 5,368
Re: Discussion on MHSNL-FR

All- I am very sorry to those of you whose livelihood has been damaged or destroyed by the new laws taking place in regards to online poker. It truly is a shame.
jlocdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.33 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online