Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > 2+2 Communities > Las Vegas Lifestyle

Notices

Las Vegas Lifestyle Discussion of all things Las Vegas. Ask questions about hotels/shows/etc., coordinate meetups with other 2+2ers and post Las Vegas trip reports.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #16
adept
 
JustifiableCause's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sweet New England
Posts: 1,122
Re: Anyone ever go to the Pawn Stars shop

The son Corey was just in the news yesterday for getting arrested after assaulting a deputy officer in a town 80 miles from L.A.
JustifiableCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #17
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MSchu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 11,051
Re: Anyone ever go to the Pawn Stars shop

I just drove by on Mon. and that friggen line was all the way around the building... several hundred people long. I dont see how they can do business that way.

what are the other really great pawn shops here in vegas?

I have been in a few because I love looking at junk. all those that I have been in, compared to those in southern california, suck big time. where are the good ones?
MSchu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:09 AM   #18
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bragging about beats.
Posts: 5,652
Re: Anyone ever go to the Pawn Stars shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegadan View Post
I went to see it a month ago, they were filming so i had to wait. All the guys from tv get off work around 4 or 5 so go early. They were leaving when i got there but i got to talk to Rick and take a photo with him. They have a lot of t shurts for sale plus the stuff thats pawned. They told me that the coolest stuff they have usually sells fast on ebay. It is in a shady part of town though.
This is what I never get, when the idiot customer takes $250 for something he thought he should get 1500 for. These people never heard of Ebay? I know sometimes their expectations are unreasonable but some of them do seem to get lowballed because they need the money and want to get rid of the item.
Brainwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #19
grinder
 
ico2525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: no one place for too long
Posts: 632
Re: Anyone ever go to the Pawn Stars shop

I hate to break it to you, but nearly all of the show is scripted. The show is produced. It's not candid. A lot of the time what you see on TV only happens for the purpose of entertainment and advertisement. Sometimes Gold and Silver Pawn already owns the item that someone is "bringing in" on a TV episode. Let me elaborate. There are episodes where the producers find someone to pretend to be the owner of an item for the sake of creating an episode. More importantly, most of the items that you see "sold" on TV never actually make it on display in the store. Please don't go to the Pawn shop and ask if they have that XXX you saw on the History channel last week.

The items that never make it for sale in the store are the things that can't fit inside the building. The cars, trucks, RVs, bikes, airplanes, etc are never for sale to the public in the sense that you can just walk in the store and buy and airplane. You're like "OK, duh," but the majority of the reason is because the transaction you see on TV is never serious. It's not as if someone calls Rick up and says, "Hey, I want to sell my RV," and the History channel camera crew follows Rick to meet the guy selling his RV. It's all for show.

My girlfriend's dad repairs and restores antique slot machines, and he did some filming. He's unsure if they're going to air it. One of his friends is Ernie Moody of videopoker.com. Ernie owns Robosaurus, this giant vehicular fire-breathing robot dinosaur. Obviously the thing was never for sale, but an episode recently aired where (as the storyline goes) Chumlee gets Cory to check Robosaurus out in a parking lot. The guy who acts as the owner (definitely not Ernie, the real owner) pretends to try and sell it for a mirrion dollars.

I can't bring myself to watch a lot of TV because so much is scripted crap that people believe really happens(ed). If any of you have questions about the show and how the majority of it is produced / scripted and very little is based on real events, I'll do my best to answer.

Also, if any of you in Vegas are interested in antique slot machines, shoot me a PM.

Last edited by ico2525; 03-24-2011 at 06:55 AM.
ico2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #20
journeyman
 
KScityShuffL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 325
Re: Anyone ever go to the Pawn Stars shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ico2525 View Post
I hate to break it to you, but nearly all of the show is scripted. The show is produced. It's not candid. A lot of the time what you see on TV only happens for the purpose of entertainment and advertisement. Sometimes Gold and Silver Pawn already owns the item that someone is "bringing in" on a TV episode. Let me elaborate. There are episodes where the producers find someone to pretend to be the owner of an item for the sake of creating an episode. More importantly, most of the items that you see "sold" on TV never actually make it on display in the store. Please don't go to the Pawn shop and ask if they have that XXX you saw on the History channel last week.

The items that never make it for sale in the store are the things that can't fit inside the building. The cars, trucks, RVs, bikes, airplanes, etc are never for sale to the public in the sense that you can just walk in the store and buy and airplane. You're like "OK, duh," but the majority of the reason is because the transaction you see on TV is never serious. It's not as if someone calls Rick up and says, "Hey, I want to sell my RV," and the History channel camera crew follows Rick to meet the guy selling his RV. It's all for show.

My girlfriend's dad repairs and restores antique slot machines, and he did some filming. He's unsure if they're going to air it. One of his friends is Ernie Moody of videopoker.com. Ernie owns Robosaurus, this giant vehicular fire-breathing robot dinosaur. Obviously the thing was never for sale, but an episode recently aired where (as the storyline goes) Chumlee gets Cory to check Robosaurus out in a parking lot. The guy who acts as the owner (definitely not Ernie, the real owner) pretends to try and sell it for a mirrion dollars.

I can't bring myself to watch a lot of TV because so much is scripted crap that people believe really happens(ed). If any of you have questions about the show and how the majority of it is produced / scripted and very little is based on real events, I'll do my best to answer.

Also, if any of you in Vegas are interested in antique slot machines, shoot me a PM.
Show is ruined for me now. Its like the time I was watching "Rehab at the Hard Rock" and I slowly replayed the scene where the security guard got kicked in the face. During the slow replay, the dudes foot misses the security guard by a mile. Couldn't watch it after that...
KScityShuffL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #21
centurion
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 155
Re: Anyone ever go to the Pawn Stars shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ico2525 View Post
I hate to break it to you, but nearly all of the show is scripted. The show is produced. It's not candid. A lot of the time what you see on TV only happens for the purpose of entertainment and advertisement. Sometimes Gold and Silver Pawn already owns the item that someone is "bringing in" on a TV episode. Let me elaborate. There are episodes where the producers find someone to pretend to be the owner of an item for the sake of creating an episode. More importantly, most of the items that you see "sold" on TV never actually make it on display in the store. Please don't go to the Pawn shop and ask if they have that XXX you saw on the History channel last week.

The items that never make it for sale in the store are the things that can't fit inside the building. The cars, trucks, RVs, bikes, airplanes, etc are never for sale to the public in the sense that you can just walk in the store and buy and airplane. You're like "OK, duh," but the majority of the reason is because the transaction you see on TV is never serious. It's not as if someone calls Rick up and says, "Hey, I want to sell my RV," and the History channel camera crew follows Rick to meet the guy selling his RV. It's all for show.

My girlfriend's dad repairs and restores antique slot machines, and he did some filming. He's unsure if they're going to air it. One of his friends is Ernie Moody of videopoker.com. Ernie owns Robosaurus, this giant vehicular fire-breathing robot dinosaur. Obviously the thing was never for sale, but an episode recently aired where (as the storyline goes) Chumlee gets Cory to check Robosaurus out in a parking lot. The guy who acts as the owner (definitely not Ernie, the real owner) pretends to try and sell it for a mirrion dollars.

I can't bring myself to watch a lot of TV because so much is scripted crap that people believe really happens(ed). If any of you have questions about the show and how the majority of it is produced / scripted and very little is based on real events, I'll do my best to answer.

Also, if any of you in Vegas are interested in antique slot machines, shoot me a PM.
The robosaurus was awesome
tgatort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #22
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 414
Re: Anyone ever go to the Pawn Stars shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ico2525 View Post
I can't bring myself to watch a lot of TV because so much is scripted crap that people believe really happens(ed). If any of you have questions about the show and how the majority of it is produced / scripted and very little is based on real events, I'll do my best to answer.
Yeah, but its still fun to watch. But as to your point, you of course are correct - - - and not only about this show, but about most all reality tv shows.

I have first-hand experience with dealing with reality tv because one reality show was focused on my wife and I as we attempted to sell our house a few years ago. The show was Designed to Sell on HGTV. For those who are unfamiliar with the show (which I assume is most of the people on this forum), a camera crew comes to your house to see what needs to be updated and/or redesigned to help you sell. A real estate "expert" states what needs to be done, the designer then comes up with the fix, and then contractors come in to make the changes. (We got an updated bathroom, a redesigned den, and some changes in a guest bedroom.) At the end, an open house is filmed with the host asking the prospective buyers how they like the house.

The entire show was pretty much scripted. Not only that, but most scenes were filmed several times from various camera angles to get the different perspectives. Before filming, the director told the real estate expert what she should say was wrong with the house. The "open house" consisted of our friends and neighbors, and the director told them how they should react and what they should say. At the end of the episode, the director instructed us to state on camera that the house had been sold and that we had received our asking price and it was all due to the changes made by the design team.

In point of fact, we hadn't even put the house on the market yet. That happened shortly after the show was filmed. Although it was a lot of fun being involved in the filming of the episode for the week or so that it took place, very little of it was "real."

cliffs: I participated in a reality tv show and can confirm that they are pretty much scripted.
MMOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #23
banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 454
Re: Anyone ever go to the Pawn Stars shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOB View Post
Yeah, but its still fun to watch. But as to your point, you of course are correct - - - and not only about this show, but about most all reality tv shows.

I have first-hand experience with dealing with reality tv because one reality show was focused on my wife and I as we attempted to sell our house a few years ago. The show was Designed to Sell on HGTV. For those who are unfamiliar with the show (which I assume is most of the people on this forum), a camera crew comes to your house to see what needs to be updated and/or redesigned to help you sell. A real estate "expert" states what needs to be done, the designer then comes up with the fix, and then contractors come in to make the changes. (We got an updated bathroom, a redesigned den, and some changes in a guest bedroom.) At the end, an open house is filmed with the host asking the prospective buyers how they like the house.

The entire show was pretty much scripted. Not only that, but most scenes were filmed several times from various camera angles to get the different perspectives. Before filming, the director told the real estate expert what she should say was wrong with the house. The "open house" consisted of our friends and neighbors, and the director told them how they should react and what they should say. At the end of the episode, the director instructed us to state on camera that the house had been sold and that we had received our asking price and it was all due to the changes made by the design team.

In point of fact, we hadn't even put the house on the market yet. That happened shortly after the show was filmed. Although it was a lot of fun being involved in the filming of the episode for the week or so that it took place, very little of it was "real."

cliffs: I participated in a reality tv show and can confirm that they are pretty much scripted.

so because you were on a sh*t reality show that was scripted means that a highly respected show like Pawn Stars is too?? LOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
LOLBLACKJACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #24
TOTP Master
 
Brian J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beyond the Lighted Stage
Posts: 10,650
Re: Anyone ever go to the Pawn Stars shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLBLACKJACK View Post
so because you were on a sh*t reality show that was scripted means that a highly respected show like Pawn Stars is too?? LOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
lol
Brian J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #25
Pooh-Bah
 
DeuceSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Social Assassin
Posts: 4,326
Re: Anyone ever go to the Pawn Stars shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KScityShuffL View Post
Show is ruined for me now. Its like the time I was watching "Rehab at the Hard Rock" and I slowly replayed the scene where the security guard got kicked in the face. During the slow replay, the dudes foot misses the security guard by a mile. Couldn't watch it after that...
Yeah but the reality part isn't the coolest thing about it. The cool thing is the items they have and learning the history behind them.
DeuceSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #26
grinder
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 415
Re: Anyone ever go to the Pawn Stars shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post
I just drove by on Mon. and that friggen line was all the way around the building... several hundred people long. I dont see how they can do business that way.

what are the other really great pawn shops here in vegas?

I have been in a few because I love looking at junk. all those that I have been in, compared to those in southern california, suck big time. where are the good ones?
I live a few blocks away and I don't think I have ever seen a line hundreds of people long. Dozens, yes. But there are definitely plenty of times to go when you do not have to wait.

The problem with the Pawn Stars store is not that it is a crappy pawn shop. It is that it is a crappy pawn shop with a long line. Its a matter of unrealistic expectations. I was really disappointed that there wasn't more cool stuff to see.

There were 2 olympic high jump medals, and it was fun to speculate on the degeneracy of an olympic champion who would pawn the tokens of his greatest achievement of a lifetime.

But overall the stuff in there was pretty lame. Although I havent been in yet, the store one block north looks cooler through the windows... it looks like a collection of vintage Vegas collectibles. I think its called Lost Vegas Antiques.

Anyone been in there?
jbov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #27
adept
 
JustifiableCause's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sweet New England
Posts: 1,122
Re: Anyone ever go to the Pawn Stars shop

The show seems pretty damn scripted to me too. I love it though and it will not take away from it one bit for me.

You can tell by the look on the old mans face that he never in a million years envisioned his pawn shop becoming what it is now. Its priceless to see.
JustifiableCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #28
satanically inspired

 
augie_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 19,799
Re: Anyone ever go to the Pawn Stars shop

Heh I dunno about that, the old man is obviously acting for the cameras to be the old grumpy stereotype. But then he drives home his fully restored classic car to his house made of gold and rolls around in hundreds of thousands of dollars!
augie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #29
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago
Posts: 75
Re: Anyone ever go to the Pawn Stars shop

I was there last year waited in line for a bit wasnt worth it no one from the show was there and it was alot smaller than it looks on Tv. But i think they remodeled it since.
the body7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #30
banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 44
Re: Anyone ever go to the Pawn Stars shop

My gf watches those HGTV shows, and I can't stand it.
Here is the script for every show:

Designer goes into home with rooms that are all completely painted some neutral off-white. "Oh, no! this will never do, we need some color to liven up the decor for buyers". Designer proceeds to paint some walls a bright blue green or something.

Very next episode - Designer goes into home with a room that has a wall of color that is a bright blue green or something. "Oh, no! Colors like this will turn off buyers". Designer proceeds to paint the whole house some neutral off-white.

Rinse and repeat 20 times a day.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ico2525 View Post
My girlfriend's dad repairs and restores antique slot machines, and he did some filming. He's unsure if they're going to air it.
When you say antique slots -- how old? I am interested in finding a Caille Eclipse (the forerunner of the "slot", featuring a roulette wheel) or similar type machine from the 1900s era.
MillBrother is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive